Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

Welp, it was fun

• 68 results
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SpecTackle

Played the game since launch, around 800 hours total. Really don't care for the direction the free to play initiative has steered their update choices in, so I'm hanging up my hat(s). Had some fantastic times with this game - hope they balance out the new soldier weapons for all that continue playing. This is what you're up against as of right now, though.

Good luck!

Avatar image for president_barackbar
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Yeah, I'm right there with you pal, although I quit months before this F2P stuff happened. At a certain point they stopped caring about the balance of the game and more about pushing monetized content out.

Blur_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Blur_Fan

Is this footage even supposed to be out!?

Avatar image for lordxavierbritish
    LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By LordXavierBritish

Yeah the new items are fucked, no crits and less building damage are not a fucking downsides.

I'm sure this shit will be fixed within a week if SPUF keeps it up.

They will.

I don't know why you think they only care about monetizing items though, these are fucking free if you craft them and it really doesn't take that much. In fact they are less costly than a lot of the Uber Update weapons.

dillonwerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By dillonwerner

You cant quit.. What will you do with all of your hats? Think of the hats man.

Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

#6  Edited By Sooperspy
    @Blur_Fan said:

Is this footage even supposed to be out!?

The guns are already in the game.
    SmotPoker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SmotPoker

The person in the video is playing against bots.

President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LordXavierBritish said:

I don't know why you think they only care about monetizing items though, these are fucking free if you craft them and it really doesn't take that much. In fact they are less costly than a lot of the Uber Update weapons.

Actually I was the one who said that, not the OP, and the argument "you can craft them for free" doesn't really hold water with me when crafting has always been deliberately inconvenient so as to encourage you to buy the items as all F2P games do.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By SSully

Sounds good man, can I have your hats?

But yeah it seems pretty damn cheap, and I have gotten weird lag spikes when being hit directly my the lasers. They better balance this shit.

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Akrid

Yay knee-jerk reactions... You're jumping to conclusions.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@President_Barackbar said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Actually I was the one who said that, not the OP, and the argument "you can craft them for free" doesn't really hold water with me when crafting has always been deliberately inconvenient so as to encourage you to buy the items as all F2P games do.

Each of the new items costs a reclaimed and one item which is equivalent to seven items. I've been playing for awhile so that is almost nothing to me as I have over 200 items sitting in my back pack right now.

The system is set up to make buying seems as, if not more appealing, to new players or those with little patience. If you have been playing for even a few months you should have more than enough items to craft both of these weapons relatively painlessly.

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
    holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By holycrapitsadam
    @ColumnBreaker: Can you give me all your stuff then since your not playing anymore? I would appreciate it :)
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LordXavierBritish said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Each of the new items costs a reclaimed and one item which is equivalent to seven items. I've been playing for awhile so that is almost nothing to me as I have over 200 items sitting in my back pack right now.

The system is set up to make buying seems as, if not more appealing, to new players or those with little patience. If you have been playing for even a few months you should have more than enough items to craft both of these weapons relatively painlessly.

IF the item system goes your way. Sometimes you don't get enough dupes to make metal and sometimes you don't get the right items to craft the others. The point is, its needlessly complicated in order to frustrate you into buying them. That's just my experience though.

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LordXavierBritish said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

IF the item system goes your way. Sometimes you don't get enough dupes to make metal and sometimes you don't get the right items to craft the others. The point is, its needlessly complicated in order to frustrate you into buying them. That's just my experience though.

This is what trading is for.
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SpecTackle

@Akrid said:

Yay knee-jerk reactions... You're jumping to conclusions.

I'm not, though. While this last update certainly influenced my decision, if you read my post you'd know that it's been a slow burn. I don't think it's mere coincidence that the first substantial update they put out after the game is made free to play is also easily the most suspect update the game has seen. Balancing arguments aside, the rocket launcher and the projectiles it fires cause severe frame rate drops because the model itself is around 4000 polygons, and the projectiles are entirely made of particle effects that are clearly not optimized. Add on top of that the lackluster animations included with the update and I don't think it's wrong to be suspicious of Valve giving the update duties to a B team now that the game is free to play. A last effort to make some money with a 4 year old game and move important development resources elsewhere.

@SSully said:

Sounds good man, can I have your hats?

But yeah it seems pretty damn cheap, and I have gotten weird lag spikes when being hit directly my the lasers. They better balance this shit.

I'd give them to you if I hadn't already uninstalled.

@SmotPoker said:

The person in the video is playing against bots.

Something worthy of note, however it doesn't change anything regarding poor balance and optimization.

@DillonWerner said:

You cant quit.. What will you do with all of your hats? Think of the hats man.

Updates get remembered, but hats never die. Follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong.

@LordXavierBritish said:

Yeah the new items are fucked, no crits and less building damage are not a fucking downsides.

I'm sure this shit will be fixed within a week if SPUF keeps it up.

They will.

Hopefully it is fixed soon, not only for game balance but to remedy the new plague of server crashes associated with this update.

Avatar image for chainreaction01
    chainreaction01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By chainreaction01
    @President_Barackbar: Also, I'm not sure when this happened, but you don't need dupes anymore to make metal. You just need 2 items from the same class in general.
    Bribo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Bribo

Based on the reaction of the community, the recent TNT and that video (of which I understood absolutely fuck all) you couldn't pay me to play Team Fortress 2. 

Good luck, everyone.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By musclerider

As soon as I saw that video I just had to jump in and make one of those for myself...

I think I might be missing the point.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

Just played a round with someone who had it. Its apperent in the video the guy is playing vs bots. The shots I could easily dodge and did not seem to take much damage from. A medic all ways kept me alive and I got quite a fewk ills on the guy using the gun. We also had a guy on our team using one. He..got a few lucky kills but it seems the gun might do lower damage then a normal rocket. 

zyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zyte

That laser rocket launcher really is in the game? Looks OP as f******ck. 
    I think I might have to get one soon, before it gets balanced!

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By SSully
    MistaSparkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By MistaSparkle

I just started playing after a long hiatus again and saw all this. Its super OP and I really hope there's  a way to fix it, but it doesn't seem like they can since people payed for it. It really sucks...guess we'll just have to wait till TF3...if that's even a possibility! 

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @MistaSparkle said:
    I just started playing after a long hiatus again and saw all this. Its super OP and I really hope there's  a way to fix it, but it doesn't seem like they can since people payed for it. It really sucks...guess we'll just have to wait till TF3...if that's even a possibility! 
    I hear its a drop as well. So anyone can get it I assume. 
    President_Barackbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@LordXavierBritish: Ehh, trading is kind of a cop out instead of dealing with the actual problem.

Avatar image for captaintightpants
    CaptainTightPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@ColumnBreaker: So on to the more important stuff.....  Can I have your hats?  :P
    valrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By valrog

Whoa.

Vodun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Vodun
    No Caption Provided
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By ReyGitano

Wow, that rocket launcher is just... wow.

delorean99947

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By delorean99947

WTH!? Been away from TF2 for 3 days and this happens!

Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Bigrhyno

@LordXavierBritish said:

Yes they are. Random critical hits make rockets hit really hard, and the tooltip for the gun is wrong, it doesn't do less damage to buildings, it does no damage. So I can disable a turret for 4 seconds with alt fire, but can't destroy it easily. Also, while I have only spent a short amount of time with it, the actual lasers don't appear to be any different than the rockets except for the fact that they sometimes cause my fps to drop.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By ajamafalous

@Bigrhyno said:

@LordXavierBritish said:

Yes they are. Random critical hits make rockets hit really hard, and the tooltip for the gun is wrong, it doesn't do less damage to buildings, it does no damage. So I can disable a turret for 4 seconds with alt fire, but can't destroy it easily. Also, while I have only spent a short amount of time with it, the actual lasers don't appear to be any different than the rockets except for the fact that they sometimes cause my fps to drop.

They seem to move slower. Though, I tend to gravitate toward no-crit servers, so 'No Random Criticals' becomes meaningless.

Anyway, to OP complaining about drops, these guns are so inexpensive to make that I was actually surprised at how cheap they were and instantly made the Mangler. I have more than enough to make the pistol as well but I'm waiting to see if they release any more items as is speculated before I do.

Having put 800 hours into the game as you say you have (which is consequently about the same (though a little less) amount of time that I have), I can't see how it's possible that you don't have enough metal to craft this stuff. How are you complaining about not finding dupes? At this point every item you find should be either part of the Uber pack or second Polycount pack that you didn't have, or should be a dupe.

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#32  Edited By asurastrike

Not to be a dick, but if you are really throwing in the towel for TF2, why make a thread about it? If you instead mean to influence our opinions about the game by showing us some changes by Valve that you dislike, why not represent it as so, instead of this weird "farewell to TF2" forum post? At the very least, why not make it a blog post?

LordXavierBritish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Bigrhyno: It's a rocket launcher with no ammo and five shots.

Building damage is not a downside, this is not a 1v1 game  and the Soldier is not the only person on the team capable of taking down buildings.

And no-crits has always been a bad downside that some servers completely negate.
    Bigrhyno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bigrhyno

@LordXavierBritish said:

@Bigrhyno: It's a rocket launcher with no ammo and five shots. Building damage is not a downside, this is not a 1v1 game and the Soldier is not the only person on the team capable of taking down buildings. And no-crits has always been a bad downside that some servers completely negate.

No ammo is not really an issue if you know maps well enough to keep yourself stocked up on ammo. Five shots may be a bit overpowered. I know this isn't a 1v1 game, but I can't always trust my teammates to finish off a turret, it's more reliable to pop out of and back behind walls between rockets to destroy a turret myself. The no crit server isn't an issue for me since I enjoy that aspect of the game. I'm not saying the weapon is balanced (I am also not saying it isn't, I just haven't used it enough to make a decision) but I don't think it's game breaking. The only thing I think may need to be changed is the five shot aspect.

J12088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By J12088

TF2 hasn't been balanced in a long long time. It's mindless fun i don't play it to win or be competitive i play it to relax and fuck around. If i want competitive and balance I'll go play halo/cod and listen to people raggee.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ajamafalous
    @ColumnBreaker: My bad, totally skimmed and thought Barackbar was the OP, not you.
    SpecTackle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SpecTackle

@Asurastrike said:

Not to be a dick, but if you are really throwing in the towel for TF2, why make a thread about it? If you instead mean to influence our opinions about the game by showing us some changes by Valve that you dislike, why not represent it as so, instead of this weird "farewell to TF2" forum post? At the very least, why not make it a blog post?

It was made to both describe my distaste for the recent changes as well as the tipping point where I just don't want to bother with it anymore, and to also get a discussion going on other's feelings about the latest update as well as where they're at with TF2. Not really sure why that's weird, it's a message board about video games. I think more people can relate to the situation then you give credit for.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Mcfart

The Mangler does less damage, does about 10% damage to buildings, and the charge shot leaves you vurnerable while charging and with 0 rockets afterwords. Take away the 5th rocket and it will be fine.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Mcfart said:
    The Mangler does less damage, does about 10% damage to buildings, and the charge shot leaves you vurnerable while charging and with 0 rockets afterwords. Take away the 5th rocket and it will be fine.
    I kinda agree, though I think the sap might be slightly OP. Haven't really decided one way or the other yet.

But yeah, 5th rocket is definitely crazy.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By turbomonkey138

@J12088 said:

TF2 hasn't been balanced in a long long time. It's mindless fun i don't play it to win or be competitive i play it to relax and fuck around. If i want competitive and balance I'll go play halo/cod and listen to people raggee.

did you say cod was balanced ..No

Competitive tf2 as in the 6v6 format and rules are as balanced as they get. NO unlocks allowed expect the medic's kritz and ubersaw.

No one class is overpowered.

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#41  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

HOLY SHIT.

HellBrendy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HellBrendy
    @Zyte said:
    That laser rocket launcher really is in the game? Looks OP as f******ck. I think I might have to get one soon, before it gets balanced!
    The "problem" is that the guy using it is really good, and the guys on the wrong end might not be as good. I haven't tried the Cowrangler, but I crafted the other one and it felt like a more dangerous flaregun. Didn't get that many kills with it straight of the bat. But yeah, kind of feels OP, but more than OP it feels just out of style and fashion of the rest of the TF 2. That fizzleeffect is just not any good as it reminds me of HL 2 Death Match. 
    Gentlegamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Gentlegamer

I was on right after the update and ran into a whole team of soldiers with lazers. My observations:

*Particle effects are annoying, blinding everyone
    *Takes no ammo, so soldiers can flank, rocket jump into positions with no dispenser or ammo spawns and just spam rockets without worrying about ammo
    *five shots per clip adds to the particle spamming, etc
    *charged shot sets you on fire, so it's like a pyro that gets a sniper rifle that burns 

All in all, felt pretty unbalanced and highly annoying

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#44  Edited By Daveyo520

God I hate people like you.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#45  Edited By Daveyo520
    @HellBrendy said:
    @Zyte said:
    That laser rocket launcher really is in the game? Looks OP as f******ck. I think I might have to get one soon, before it gets balanced!
    The "problem" is that the guy using it is really good, and the guys on the wrong end might not be as good. I haven't tried the Cowrangler, but I crafted the other one and it felt like a more dangerous flaregun. Didn't get that many kills with it straight of the bat. But yeah, kind of feels OP, but more than OP it feels just out of style and fashion of the rest of the TF 2. That fizzleeffect is just not any good as it reminds me of HL 2 Death Match. 
    The guys at the wrong end are bots. As in they are really bad.
    Chontamenti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Chontamenti

Played it since release.. I'm glad I stopped playing this game when the engineer-update came out... didn't regret it at all!

Nephrahim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Nephrahim
    @turbomonkey138 said:

@J12088 said:

did you say cod was balanced ..No

Competitive tf2 as in the 6v6 format and rules are as balanced as they get. NO unlocks allowed expect the medic's kritz and ubersaw.

No one class is overpowered.

No items, Final destination, Fox.
    Sitoxity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Sitoxity

@Gentlegamer: You mean a flare gun? Which pyro's have been "sniping" with for ages? They have two of those.

After playing a few games with soldiers using these, they don't seem OP and only seem effective when they're a good player.

benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By benjaebe

It needs a little balancing but it's not that bad. I still prefer the regular rocket launcher.
    I never tire of seeing people "give up" on TF2 after every single update and have recently started blaming all the new updates (which have been awesome, mind you) on the game going F2P.

mikemcn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#50  Edited By mikemcn

So your saying there's less whiney TF2 players now? Hooray!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.