Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Team Fortress 2

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released Oct 10, 2007

The long-awaited sequel to the class-based first-person shooter Team Fortress Classic sports a unique cartoony visual style, more accessible gameplay, and a very large amount of updates and new features since its original release.

With Overwatch eating TF2's lunch, is it finally time for TF3?

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't have the numbers to back it up but I feel like TF2's community has been on the decline for a while. A lot of people went to mobas or the newer counter strikes. And now Overwatch and other games are coming up that more directly compete with TF2. For a while it seemed like a new Team Fortress was unnecessary, but now I think they kind of need something big if it's not going to be forgotten.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Selfishly I kinda don't want one, just so Overwatch can foster some kind of community. It's already going to be a niche title among giants, and I just want it to have somewhat of a decent lifetime. :(

I bet TF3 would be great though, and I most definitely would give it a shot! If you know, Valve made games anymore.

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Steam makes games?

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TF2 is a decade old next year.

Let that sink in. It's been eating lunch for a long time.

-

Even so, it is consistently among the most played games on Steam. As I write this, it has the third most players on Steam at around 50,000.

Also Team Fortress 2 is free to play. Some players may hop over to Overwatch, but TF2 will probably continue to get players because it doesn't cost $60.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Giantstalker
    @ericjasonwade said:

Steam makes games?

Nope, and neither does Valve apparently

Cameron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

According to Steam Charts (http://steamcharts.com/app/440) the player base been remarkably consistent over the years. I guess it will be interesting to see if Overwatch has any long-term effect, but I doubt it will. Presumably there aren't a whole lot of new people picking up TF2 at this point, so the people still playing it are probably pretty into it.

Gatobolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Gatobolo

@ericjasonwade said:

Steam Valve makes games?

pretty much what I thought

Ericjasonwade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Ericjasonwade
    Ganonmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't think it would be a priority for Valve. They're still pushing out (community) updates every now and then. I don't see them investing any significant development into TF2 or a follow up unless it were to bring their own game catalogue over to Source 2. Directly competing with Blizzard and Riot Games with Dota 2 made sense at the time, but I don't think the same can be said about a potential TF3. They'd have to pull off something that's going to differentiate the game from the similar games that have come out since the initial release of TF2. I don't think that it would be worth their efforts to explore. The game is still doing OK. I'm sure they're considering all their options.

And although TF2 and Overwatch are similar, they're different enough to where I'd think that it won't appeal to all TF2 fans. I personally feel that the maps in Overwatch feel very claustrophobic and confined, whereas TF2 feels more spacious and open. Team size also plays a factor there of course. The effects, level and character design add a lot of visual noise. While its visuals are appealing from an artistic point of view, they're just not working for me on a gameplay level.(whereas TF2's designs did)

Besides, there's another Valve title that we're all still clamoring for, right?

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I would be genuinely surprised if we saw TF3 any time soon and by any time soon, I mean I could easily see it lasting another decade. TF2 just seems like one of those few games that has been going so strong and has such a dedicated community that Valve could probably continue to just update the current game for quite some time and the fans would be satisfied.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ganonmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@dudeglove: you know the saying... "bad luck comes in threes"

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Overwatch will be forgotten in about a week and a half. The game is pieces swept up off the cutting room floor of a failed project. Blizzard has battle.net and all the properties that ride on it. Not to mention the whole Activision/ Blizzard mega bucks company thing. Overwatch is just picking up some cash on what would otherwise be classified as research by the accounting department. The game will be a forgotten foot note. Blizzard appears cool with this too.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

doubt it, valve has just treated TF2 as a test, graphic design, the achievement weapons, hats, market place. TF2 has been very much a minimal in house team operation and then let the audience just go nuts with it. TF2 has always been a test bed for Valve's ideas, they haven't even tried to make it into esports. It's more likely we will see a TF2 fun minigames collection for VR soon.

Avatar image for jdizzlefoshizzle
    jdizzlefoshizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In my mind it's very possible TF3 already exists, but it won't be released until it can be bundled with Half Life 3, Left 5 Dead, and Portal 2 Episode 1 for the Orange Box 2 (which will be announced and available for download on the same day a year and a half from now).

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako: no i refuse to believe its that old. STAHP.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overwatch will be forgotten in about a week and a half.

Overwatch is just picking up some cash on what would otherwise be classified as research by the accounting department.

The game will be a forgotten foot note.

This is an oddly tangential and pessimistic response about whether Valve should make another Team Fortress. :D

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Overwatch will be forgotten in about a week and a half. The game is pieces swept up off the cutting room floor of a failed project. Blizzard has battle.net and all the properties that ride on it. Not to mention the whole Activision/ Blizzard mega bucks company thing. Overwatch is just picking up some cash on what would otherwise be classified as research by the accounting department. The game will be a forgotten foot note. Blizzard appears cool with this too.

I am legit curious, why are you so salty about that game?

onyxghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@yothatlimp: Ah, I'm not salty. I would love all games to be awesome all the time. Video games are a fantastic past time. I love 'em. The post was more or less about Overwatch being the impetus for another Team Fortress. I just don't see that as the case. Overwatch is a flash in the pan kind of game. It will come. It will go. Team Fortress on the other hand has been around nearly, if not already, for a decade. The only thing that's going to make Team Fortress 3 happen is the want of a designer at Valve. The game is already a bonifide classic.

Then again, who knows right? Maybe Overwatch will gather a small dedicated fan base and it will grow. Or maybe it will go the route of Titanfall or Evolve. After the hype runs down the servers empty.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't have the numbers to back it up but I feel like TF2's community has been on the decline for a while. A lot of people went to mobas or the newer counter strikes. And now Overwatch and other games are coming up that more directly compete with TF2. For a while it seemed like a new Team Fortress was unnecessary, but now I think they kind of need something big if it's not going to be forgotten.

This is super nitpick-y (sorry), but not sure why you made counterstrike plural. There's only been 1 CS game released since TF2 came out.

deepcovergecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TF2 is still one of the most played games, Overwatch is kind of unproven and lacks the humour and charm of TF2.

I do like Overwatch but I'd actually rather be playing an updated version of TF2 with all the matchmaking and item goodness akin to what Valve did with DOTA.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9398c1300c7
    deactivated-5f9398c1300c7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If Valve makes a Team Fortress 3 to respond to Overwatch after not making a game for years, you know that they don't care anymore.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako: Overwatch costs $40 on PC but you're totally right when TF2 is free to play.

Avatar image for adequatelyprepared
    AdequatelyPrepared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it's the other way around actually. Recently, especially with the advent of the TF2 ranked matchmaking beta, it's been picking up a bit of steam and I have noticed that the TF2 community has become more active.
    What TF2 needs is the same amount of attention that DotA2 and CS:GO get. Give us a less crappy looking UI, and for the love of God, give us occasional spring cleaning updates. The new weapon skins in particular tend to tank FPS for no particular reason.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#28  Edited By doctordonkey

The Oranger Box: HL3, L4D3, TF3, Portal 3 all in one box.

I've got sources, alright? Trust me.

chilibean_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Eating TF2's lunch? TF2 has been around forever. That lunch gone stale, duder.

atomicoldman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valve doesn't make video games, so even if it's time, it's not going to happen.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yothatlimp: Ah, I'm not salty. I would love all games to be awesome all the time. Video games are a fantastic past time. I love 'em. The post was more or less about Overwatch being the impetus for another Team Fortress. I just don't see that as the case. Overwatch is a flash in the pan kind of game. It will come. It will go. Team Fortress on the other hand has been around nearly, if not already, for a decade. The only thing that's going to make Team Fortress 3 happen is the want of a designer at Valve. The game is already a bonifide classic.

Then again, who knows right? Maybe Overwatch will gather a small dedicated fan base and it will grow. Or maybe it will go the route of Titanfall or Evolve. After the hype runs down the servers empty.

I would bet the house it absolutely won't be. Titanfall/Evolve were flash in the pans (that might be giving them too much credit), but I think most saw that coming with Evolve, at the very least. Team Fortress also has the benefit of being free to play, which I'm sure has contributed greatly to its impressive longevity. I'm not saying Overwatch will be around in a decade, but I don't think it's a week or two kind of thing.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

I really don't understand the notion that TF2 is going to die, because of Overwatch? TF2 has been immensely successful and has been out for such a long time now.

If Valve was making TF2 it wouldnt be because of Overwatch.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As for eating their lunch, Valve have been having that lunch for a decade and have enough money to buy other lunches.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

At this point I'm fairly sure TF2's lunch isn't so much the player base but the sick hat game. The biggest problem a TF3 would present is WHAT HAPPENS TO ALL THE HATS???

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@imhungry said:

At this point I'm fairly sure TF2's lunch isn't so much the player base but the sick hat game. The biggest problem a TF3 would present is WHAT HAPPENS TO ALL THE HATS???

That's the current hole Valve is digging themselves into with TF2, Dota2, and CS:GO. If/when they make full on sequels to those games, what do they do to the existing cosmetic items to not piss off their existing users.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.