Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tekken 7: Fated Retribution

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Jun 05, 2016

The definitive version of Tekken 7 (and the one ported to home consoles), featuring a dedicated story mode that concludes the rivalry between Kazuya and Heihachi.

So who's ready for Tekken?

• 75 results
    RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Didn't see a topic about Tekken 7 in the forums yet, so figured I'd see who else is interested! I'm not a Tekken fan at all, but with Street Fighter V's disappointment, I've been looking for another PC fighting game.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Tekken far more than any other fighting game but was let down by 6 for the most part. I'm really looking forward to 7.

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#3  Edited By SMTDante89

It will be my first real attempt (not button mashing at 3 nearly 20 years ago) at playing a Tekken game. Can't wait.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I mean... I already bought this fightstick for SFV... it'd be irresponsible for me to not use it for Tekken... right?

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Much like Jeff and the rest during Demo derby after seeing Tekken played there I am totally ready. Especially after hearing its much better than the last couple.

Plus it seems we have confirmation that licensed PS3 sticks will work on PS4 so I don't need to buy a new one.

The idea of a full fledged story mode is really interesting to me.

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Oh god I am so ready

I'm going to get super into Tekken 7 (no I will probably not)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

always wanted to try a tekken game but i feel injustice 2 is enough fighting game for me at the moment.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By paulmako

Actually I am. I have always been terrible at fighting games and never really had much interest in the genre but I did play a lot of Tekken 1 and Tekken Tag Tournament, so I have a weird fondness for the series. I also think something with the faster format of a fighting game might be a nice break from all the recent 100+ hour single player experiences.

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

This will be the first Tekken I've played in about 20 years. After the disappointment that is SFV and the fact I've sorta completely fallen off Guilty Gear (they brought my girl, Dizzy, back like last year...so why am I no longer interested?!), it'll be nice to throw myself full on into another fighting game.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cikame

I am 500% ready, and look forward to playing Tekken 7 in early 2017 *twitch*.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

I can't wait to play a version of Akuma that's genuinely powerful! ... Waaaiit a minute!

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SaFt

As someone who only spent time with 1 and 3 (and the tiniest amount with Tag 1) and absolutely nothing after that, i'm weirdly excited for this game. Probably because i went back to Tekken 3 recently and remembered all the good times i had with that game.

Not sure how i feel about these combos though.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#17 riostarwind  Moderator

All the odd number Tekken games seem to interest me the most. I started with 3 then 5 and now I'm going to pick up Tekken 7. After playing a bunch of 2D fighters it should be fun to check out a 3D fighter again.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hassun

Stoked for the game. I hope it's good on PC and people actually play it on that platform.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't play the last Tekken much, but I am ready. I don't know if'll play it as much as the latest Mortal Kombat, but anything is possible, I used to love Tekken.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

@kingbonesaw: *pushes up nerd glasses* technically the OP could still do that with the Full Edit option

On-topic: already pre-ordered for PS4. Can't wait to take a new-ish character and beat a kick-spamming Eddy with it, only to later get my shit kicked in by someone who knows what they're doing.

TheWildCard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Didn't like Tekken 6 or Tag 2, so I'm haven't been following this closely, but I'll take a look when it's out (and yes I know it's been out in arcades for a long time). The odd number entries (3 and 5) have been better than the even ones though, so maybe it's time?

Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

@saft: The combos being stupid long, or hard to execute? Not that they're mutually exclusive.

@hassun: Does it have cross-play? Because I sure as heck am getting the PC version.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't played tekken in a long time but one thing that i liked and dislike about tekken is they always feel the same at least since 3. New characters always feel like a combo of other characters, except maybe the boxing dude. This is good in that i always feel like i can hold my own but bad in the fsct that it always feels like the same game.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SaFt

@do_the_manta_ray: Just the way they're executed. You just kind of press this long ass string without any real rhythm or timing (there probably is and i just need to get used to it). But from the stuff that i've seen of T7, there's a lot of combos that you can follow up with another combo on a knocked down opponent. So maybe that makes the combos feel more satisfying compared to T3.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I am, the odd numbered ones have generally been my favorite.

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'll be the weird contrarian dude here and mention that my three favorite Tekken games are Tekken 2 (first 3D fighter I played, one of my favorite games growing up), Tekken Tag 2 (easily the Tekken I spent the most time playing, loved playing Ghost Battle) and Tekken 4 (loved the style and atmosphere, only Tekken that I have played on an arcade cabinet). Now to be fair, I played these games from a more casual perspective, I know other games were seen as better from a competitive standpoint.

As someone who really digs the series but never got good at it, I'm hoping to finally learn the ropes with this one. I've learned a lot from my attempt to get good at SFV over the past year so hopefully some basic concepts will easily translate.

Online is key though. I trust that it will be fine but we'll have to see.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saft said:

Not sure how i feel about these combos though.

Since Tekken 6 introduced the bound i've seen loads of people say "The combos are too long", each to their own of course but compared to other games i don't see it, though before i go into it further i will say that despite Tekken being my favourite i think DOA has the best fighting system, simply because as long as your feet are on the ground any player can interrupt and counter almost any combo, adding a level of skill to defense and excitement during matches.
    From my own experiences these are how average long combo lengths stack up between games (approximate numbers).
    Tekken 6 - 6/7 seconds + up to 3 seconds for floor breaks.
    Tag 2 - 7/9 seconds + 3 seconds for balcony/floor breaks.
    Tekken 7 - 5/7 seconds + up to 3 seconds for balcony/floor breaks + between 4 and 7 seconds for a Rage Art, though due to scaling that would be a waste of a Rage Art unless you need that extra percent or two of damage.
    Street Fighter 4 - 4/6 seconds for combos using EX or Super + 5/6 seconds for an Ultra, being stunned resets the combo, but due to meter use can add 3/5 seconds.
    Street Fighter 5 - 4/7 seconds for combos using EX and V-Trigger (character dependant), combos are shorter without using EX moves at 3/4 seconds + 5/6 seconds for Super's, again being Stunned will reset the combo.
    Marvel vs Capcom 3 - Anywhere up to 30 seconds which is common in high level play, my average long combos are around 20 seconds.
    King of Fighters 13 - This game has extensive combos but they are difficult, so despite there being 30 second combos, i'd say the average is 10-20 seconds.
    King of Fighters 14 - Combos are generally quicker than the previous game, so far, 8/10 seconds, though i have seen a few 25-30 second combos.
    Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator - 7/10 seconds on average though longer combos do exist, not counting the lengthy "Instant Kill" animations.

Street Fighter has quicker combos in general, but also sees combos matching or taking longer than Tekken's, i think the issue comes from the fact that the combos are fairly easy in Tekken so players perform the longer combos in full more often than in other fighters, but for all the complaints it gets i've definately been in Street Fighter matches complaining about combo length :P.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm ready for the soundtrack...but it'll probably not be as good as Tekken 3's.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I can't wait! Looking forward to the story mode

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SaFt

@cikame: I don't even think it's about the lengths exactly. It's just that when i play Street Fighter i have the regular punches/kicks to start the combo off and then somewhere in there you throw in a special attack which usually involves directions + button and then go from there. It acts like an anchor for me to know where i am in the combo and that little extra break while doing the special you have time to get ready for the next button to press. But in Tekkens case it's just a bunch of face buttons you press in rapid succession so it doesn't feel as easy or satisfying to pull off.

It also feels like you have to commit to the combo in a different way compared to street fighter when you do the initial hit you kind of have to wait and see if it lands or not, i get the feeling that you need to commit to the combo from the first punch even if you hit it or not because you don't have time to see if your punch connected because you will drop the string by then.

This is why i feel that maybe the bound mechanic will help me deal with this a bit better since it seems to me that it will provide that kind of break in the combo that the special moves gives me in Street Fighter. I could of course be all wrong about how this works since my experience comes from an hour of Tekken 3 the other day and i haven't played any of the later ones. I will probably change my opinion on all of this when i've had some time to get used to it all.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By cikame

@saft: I see, breaking down a basic Tekken combo is pretty simple, there are 4 parts, a launcher, the filler, the bound (now tailspin) and the finisher.
    Different characters have different launchers but in most cases they do what they sound like, launch the opponent into the air, the "launcher" is any move which puts someone into a state that allows further hits, for example Kazuya has a stomach punch which causes you to fall over slowly.
    The filler is self explanatory, it's a few attacks which keep your opponent floating for the next part.
    The bound, which as you know is traditionally a downward striking attack which causes the opponent to bounce off the floor, in Tekken 7 this is now a tailspin, an attack which causes the floating opponent to spin and land in a way which allows for...
    The finisher, usually a powerful attack to finish the combo.
    If that sounds like a lot, here's a basic full length Dragunov combo for Tekken 6 (using Xbox commands).
    Launcher: Down + Forward + Y
    Filler & Bound: B, X wait X, A, Y
    Finisher: Double tap forward + A.
    When you segment all character combos into those 4 parts they become incredibly easy to learn, at that point it's just remembering a few buttons to push.

@glots said:

I'm ready for the soundtrack...but it'll probably not be as good as Tekken 3's.

It's a continuation of the aggressive electronica they started venturing into since T6, so it may not have memorable melodies like the older games :P, but it's extremely hard hitting this time around which i'm liking a lot, each track has a "Final Round" version which... kicks in at the final round, they basically turn each track up to 11 sometimes going ballistic, since matches are usually first to 3 rounds the music doesn't get constantly interrupted like in SF5 whenever someone gets low on life.
    Regular music

FINAL ROUND LOUD AS FUUUUU

RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingbonesaw: if I were a tekken fan before today I might'e. Now I feel bad.

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SaFt

@cikame: Cool, thanks for breaking it all down dude. I'm sure this will be helpful. This will probably be a non-issue after getting to try it out for a bit. With only one week left i'm very excited for this!

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saft: Don't forget the Yoshi blood pact ... not liking your violent anti-Lili sentiments either :D

SaFt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@technician: Hey! I never break a promise. Altough Yoshi's stubby attacks will probably be a problem for me. Also, while i don't know anything about Lili i'm sure she deserves it!

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Inresurrection

After spending a night reminiscing about and staring at my old Tekken 3 disc, I am very ready for Tekken.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

Loved Tekken 2, 3, and 5. I'm not a fighting guy by any means but had a blast playing those. Tekken 6 was a bummer though. Not sure if 7 will do it for me. I'm just hoping for fun customization and wacky stories.

schmid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#38  Edited By schmid

@glots: The soundtrack for the Tekken games are generally very well produced, and usually some very aggressive stuff. The Tekken 3 PSX soundtrack is great. I also remember enjoying the great boss music transition in Tag 2, "What you will see (Heavenly Garden)" that winds down and turns into dubstep. And the Tekken 6 menu psytrance track that is beautiful and way too short: https://youtu.be/FgIs5qeWdz0

schmid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By schmid

@cikame: The 'Regular music' is very cool, I can only support the choice of drum 'n bass for Tekken. The loud version is ... wow, that's really something. It's definitely loud. :D

Rata Gain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't that the one with beach volleyball girls ?

Rata Gain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

because i definitely want to see akuma in bikini .

ATastySlurpee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested but I'm so deep with Injustice 2 right now, no way I can juggle(ha fighting term pun) 2 fighting games.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked tag 2, but if I recall you can now get out of binds, which if that's the case, I'm really interested.

...i got fed up with everyone going kazuya and using the same kick combo.

Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game is available to pre-load on Steam right now.

Does anyone know when it unlocks?

IamTerics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This will be my first real Tekken game. I got excited for it after it finally got a release fate, after 3(ish) goddamn years of arcade/tournament footage. I hope the net code is decent!

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to love the Tekken series. Back when the PS1 launched it was hands down the coolest launch title for that system and the arcade versions were more "fun" than Virtua Fighter.

I stopped really caring after Tekken 3.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, that was Dead or Alive series.

Wasn't that the one with beach volleyball girls ?

RosesAreDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My one fear is that it's gonna be DOA (dead on arrival, not bikini volleyball) on PC. Does anyone want to form a guild or something to set up play times? That is if I even buy it...

Technician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My one fear is that it's gonna be DOA (dead on arrival, not bikini volleyball) on PC. Does anyone want to form a guild or something to set up play times? That is if I even buy it...

I'm your huckleberry.

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm having a really really hard time with the game. Even on easy I am getting my ass kicked after the 3 fight in arcade. I miss an attack and then basically get juggled until I lose.

Maybe after so much time away and going fro this to injustice its gonna take a while to get back into this.

Looks like there is a lot to do though. Im glad the days of barebones fighting games isnt the norm anymore.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.