Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Binding of Isaac

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released Sep 28, 2011

A twisted twin-stick shooter from one of the designers of Super Meat Boy. Players take control of Isaac, a young boy who delves deep into the dungeons of his basement as he is hunted by his deranged mother.

Binding of Isaac Denied 3DS Release Over Religious Concerns

• 176 results
    Sunjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 7

#101  Edited By Sunjammer

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that Nintendo is totally fine without this game.

That said, the one platform I'd be likely to play it on would be the 3DS or another handheld. So poo, I guess. Though it's still the most unpleasant looking god damn thing I can think of spending money on.

Box3ru13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#102  Edited By Box3ru13

I might actually now get this game due to this, Thanks Nintendo for netting them a sale.

Lemmiwinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#103  Edited By Lemmiwinks

Please let it through Nintendo. One of my top 10 2011, would love to have it more places.

Tef

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#104  Edited By Tef

To my mind, this strikes me as an overreaction to fears of creating negative publicity from religious groups. I mean, the game is still available and playable elsewhere so it's not as much of a big deal. Disappointing nonetheless

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By audiosnow

@crusader8463 said:

Censorship wins again! I will never understand why people find the concept of not buying things that offend them so hard to grasp.

This is exactly the opposite of censorship. No governmental, parental, or administrative organization blocked the release, but the platform designer itself. It's no different than a consumer refusing to purchase a product for its content.

@djaoni said:

All religious people need to be shot.

And this (albiet hyperbolical) statement shows exactly why religious and anti-religious people are equally irrational.

princess_zelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#106  Edited By princess_zelda

I think Nintendo is fine with something tasteless/obscene as long as it doesn't directly reference their own products. They're specifically trying to avoid being associated with filth that tries to look like Zelda.

majorchin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By majorchin

What a shame. This game is fantastic, and it could work really well for commuters.

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By MrKlorox
    @princess_zelda said:

I think Nintendo is fine with something tasteless/obscene as long as it doesn't directly reference their own products. They're specifically trying to avoid being associated with filth that tries to look like Zelda.

The Darksiders series is way closer to a Zelda game than Binding of Isaac. Something tells me you haven't played this game.
    shodan2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#109  Edited By shodan2020

I was surprised when they even made Nintendo an offer. I'm not surprised by Nintendo's answer, though. I think the important thing is that this game is out, and it's great! Also, Darksiders was excellent. Bayonetta and Darksiders in the same month! What a month that was. :)

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Corvak

One of the reasons I am a supporter of Steam as a digital platform, is that they put the onus on the consumer to know what they want or don't want, instead of making arbitrary decisions about what might be successful or not. As a digital storefront, Steam isn't chained to its platform the way the consoles are....bad publicity (say from some mainstream news organization trying to fill space) won't tie a violent PC game to the fact that it was purchased on Steam, for example. But if it's on a 3DS, Nintendo immediately gets all the flak, even if a game is developed and released by a third party.

Of course, console makers are shrewd devils, and they also take a cut from every game sold using the certification process. Blame Nintendo, they forced a monopoly on cartridge production, taking much more per game than anyone else, which is why they took so long to go to optical discs. $3 per cartridge instead of $ .25 per disc, essentially. Though I expect Sony made up the difference selling memory cards.

Business deals aside, I'm still glad Steam is here to provide us with great indie games. For five bucks, or $2.50 when its on sale, Isaac is a great roguelike with a ton of character, and worth checking out.

Religion? This is the internet. Not even gonna open that Pandora's Box.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#111  Edited By Blackout62

Admittedly "questionable" is exactly how I would describe the religious content of Bind of Isaac.

Lokno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Lokno

A Zelda-inspired roguelike sounds fun, but I just hate the hello-kitty-meets-garbage-pail-kids style of this artist. That said, its a shame Nintendo is still walling off their garden to more unique textures.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#113  Edited By jacksukeru

This just made me wanna go play some more The Binding of Isaac.

Funny story, that game also gave me a new appreciation for the original Legend of Zelda, so I played it some on my 3DS.

smellylettuce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#114  Edited By smellylettuce

The pursuit of pleasing everyone always ends up pleasing no one.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#115  Edited By SethPhotopoulos

@DoctorWelch said:

Wait, what? This game is religious or anti-religious or something...hmm, weird, I didnt even think it really had a story or anything.

The Binding of Isaac's plot is a spinoff of the bible story with the same name. Isaac, a child, and his Mother live in a small house on a hill, both happily keeping to themselves, with Isaac drawing pictures and playing with his toys, and his mother watching Christian Broadcasts on the Television. Isaac's mother then hears "a voice from above", stating her son is corrupted with sin, and needs to be saved. It asks her to remove all that was evil from Isaac, in an attempt to save him. His mother obliges, taking away his toys, pictures, game console and even his clothes.

The voice once again speaks to Isaac's mother, stating he must be cut off from all that is evil in the world. Once again, his mother obliges, and locks Isaac inside his room.

Once more, the voice speaks to Isaac's mother. It states she has done well, but it still questions her devotion, and requests she sacrifice her son. She obliges, grabbing a kitchen knife, and walking to Isaac's room. Isaac, watching through a sizeable crack in his door, starts to panic. He finds and enters a trapdoor, just before his mother opens his bedroom door. Isaac then puts the paper he was drawing on onto his wall, which becomes the title screen.

The first ending shows God stopping Isaac's mother while she's poised to stab Isaac, by throwing a Bible off of a shelf and onto her head. Isaac then stands on his mother, victorious. Isaac puts down the paper he was drawing this scene on, when his mother breaks through his door behind him, holding a kitchen knife.

The 10th ending shows Isaac opening a treasure chest, which contains a dead blue baby referencing an older game the creator made. The blue baby can then be played as a character.

The final ending, achieved after beating Satan in Sheol, shows Isaac opening the chest once again, his mouth stuck in mild horror. This time, the environment and character then change in unison, flickering through all personas Isaac has had throughout the game, until reaching Isaac once more. Now in his bedroom, Isaac climbs into the chest, closing it behind him, perhaps referencing to Ending 10 or a childhood flashback of him breathing heavily in a chest.

HydraHam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#116  Edited By HydraHam

@smellylettuce said:

The pursuit of pleasing everyone always ends up pleasing no one.

Better to piss off the tiny group of fans who wanted this then the millions of parents and religious groups.

Nintendo likes to brand themselves as the family friendly brand, having this game come out would cause a shit storm, a shit storm that isn't worth it. We (people who love this game) are below minority, we don't matter, we can be pissed all we want.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By Rotnac

i just wish there would be an update for the mac version. the lack of cheevos unlocking is kind of a bummer.

AuthenticM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#118  Edited By AuthenticM

Port it to PSN! I'm sure Sony wouldn't mind. Dante's Inferno was a much worse offender.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#119  Edited By Baal_Sagoth

A move that is unfortunately to be expected from a corporation pretty much exclusively in the business of producing children's toys. Still, good to read this as a news story on GB considering how much Nintendo pays lipservice to supposedly still providing entertainment of a bigger scope and for an adult audience.

kurtbro900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By kurtbro900

So why isnt this coming to vita or consoles?

Argyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Argyle

Speaking as someone who played the game - briefly - on the PC and did find its tone offensive, I don't think it was Nintendo's right to censor it. I can choose for myself what I do & don't find offensive and make my purchases accordingly. Next time, they'll be censoring something I DON'T have a problem with.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Djratchet

Whatever, now they are looking over over at PS3 and/or Vita. Works out in my opinion. Sony will put it up as soon as it gets an ESRB rating, they couldn't care less what it is as long as it isn't AO.

JSwan13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#123  Edited By JSwan13

Super bummed out but not surprised to hear this news.

WinnipegFats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By WinnipegFats

Gotta say, I was more surprised that Nintendo was even considering releasing releasing BoI on the DS.

BitterAlmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By BitterAlmond

Was Super Meat Boy really going to come out for WiiWare? I am disappoint. At least I have it on PC.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By geirr
    damnboyadvance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 4

#127  Edited By damnboyadvance

Good to see not everyone uses this news article as an opportunity to take a jab at religion. 'Tis another reason to love the Giant Bomb community.

I'm honestly not surprised. Nintendo isn't the type of company to allow content people may consider offensive. The only surprise in this story is that McMillen thought this game would be approved by Nintendo.

As a Christian, I don't see any problem with the game. Would I ever play it? Probably not. But there doesn't seem to be anything offensive about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

This isn't censorship.  This is just choosing to not be a part of something.  McMillen is free to design his game however he wants and Nintendo is free to decide whether or not they want to get involved.

JakeLogan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By JakeLogan

@ajamafalous said:

@ArbitraryWater said:

@JakeLogan said:

Not surprising - disappointing but not unsurprising. Hell, go look back at the Ocarina of Time debacle.

To be fair, that fire temple music does sound a hell of a lot like Muslim prayer chanting.

He's probably talking about the imagery that was changed; dunno if he already replied since I'm not going more than a page deep in the comments.

Yes, I was thinking more about the symbols than the music - although the Zelda wikia tells me they had preemptively made copies with AND without alterations prior to release, the reasons for alteration not entirely explained other than PC blah blah.

http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Fire_Temple_(Ocarina_of_Time)#Controversy

Weird, weird business going on.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#130  Edited By JasonR86

Good Lord.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

You know, this would actually be a perfect game to have on a portable system and I would love to have it on my 3ds (though I'm not really enamored with the style). So they've lost at least one sale right here.

JimmyPancakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#132  Edited By JimmyPancakes

So sad, this game is fantastic and a perfect handheld game. Maybe on the Vita?

Thejugglingbum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Thejugglingbum

I spent 5 bucks on The Binding of Isaac. I have played over 60 hours of it.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By forkboy

@mlarrabee: Self-censorship is still censorship bruv. And this isn't even self-censorship, this is a platform holder preventing a game from being released for no other reason than it might offend a small minority of people.

That's censorship.

audiosnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By audiosnow

@forkboy said:

@mlarrabee: Self-censorship is still censorship bruv. And this isn't even self-censorship, this is a platform holder preventing a game from being released for no other reason than it might offend a small minority of people.

That's censorship.

Self-censorship is what you and I both believe in: The right and responsibility of everyone to control their own domain, and to allow others to do the same. Nintendo is wielding control over what they directly own, and forcing no one else to follow suit. To forbid self-censorship is, in itself, censorship: Restricting others' rights to control what they produce and receive.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#136  Edited By John1912

Shame, great little game. Music just fucking rocks. I dont really care for hand helds, but this would definitely be a game id get for it. Love the opening intro. Still havent beat that damn thing. >.>

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#137  Edited By yukoasho

@Djratchet said:

Whatever, now they are looking over over at PS3 and/or Vita. Works out in my opinion. Sony will put it up as soon as it gets an ESRB rating, they couldn't care less what it is as long as it isn't AO.

They may need a 3rd party to publish, or self-publish. Sony, last I checked, was simply not interested in publishing it.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By yukoasho

@Baal_Sagoth said:

A move that is unfortunately to be expected from a corporation pretty much exclusively in the business of producing children's toys. Still, good to read this as a news story on GB considering how much Nintendo pays lipservice to supposedly still providing entertainment of a bigger scope and for an adult audience.

Exactly. Who's to say Nintendo won't insist on Wii U games being neutered this way?

Avatar image for deactivated-630b11c195a3b
    deactivated-630b11c195a3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MormonWarrior said:

@Scooper said:

Nintendo is just making sure they keep their 'Family Friendly' appearance, and selling a few thousand copies of this game on 3DS is not worth the crazy headlines and stories that they KNOW will happen that will sour their brand in the eyes of some portion of the American consumers (an incredibly worrying portion if you ask me) that take the word of the Bible literally (mentals). Some several thousand dollars is simply not worth the sensationalist twaddle that would end up happening.

It's mental for somebody to believe what the Bible says? That sure is compartmentalizing millions upon millions of people with varied belief systems and lifestyles.

I haven't checked out this game (even though I love Meat Boy) because it looks hideous and boring. The weird pseudo-religious junk in the game is nearly meaningless...I just thought it looked like a garbage game. Nothing I've seen or heard has convinced me otherwise.

Yes it is mental to take the bible literally.

Djratchet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Djratchet

@YukoAsho: Well, yeah. But I don't think they will have a problem finding a publisher. Maybe I'm crazy, though.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By yukoasho

@Djratchet said:

@YukoAsho: Well, yeah. But I don't think they will have a problem finding a publisher. Maybe I'm crazy, though.

It'll be interesting either way.

GrizzlyAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By GrizzlyAdams

@MrKlorox said:

@princess_zelda said:

The Darksiders series is way closer to a Zelda game than Binding of Isaac. Something tells me you haven't played this game.

I would disagree with that myself. Ignoring the whole religious concerns thing, I feel like I'm the only one who's ever played The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past, every single time I see BoI brought up. It's always mentioned as "closely resembling" an unnamed Zelda game but the two games are actually similar to an extreme degree.

Just watch the trailer for the Binding of Isaac and compare and layouts of rooms and movements of enemies to those in some of the dungeons and areas in A Link to the Past.

Monstro's jumping nearly mirrors the Armos Knight's, Scolex is pretty much just the Lanmola fight, the Duke of Flies acts similar to an Octoballoon, Fistula splits like a Biri; so on so forth.

So while I'm not saying that the Binding of Isaac doesn't have a completely new story, that's totally unrelated to the Zelda storyline, and I'm also not saying that it's a carbon copy or that it isn't a fun game but there is definitely no game closer to ALttP than BoI that I can think of.

mrspoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By mrspoon

While I can understand Nintendo's stance to protect their family friendly image, it is sad that in this age, systems condoning slavery, homophobia, incest, omnipotent deities impregnating 13 year olds, murdering 'impure' brides/siblings and generally treating women as second class citezens are held as the right choice for Nintendo.

Spankmealotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By Spankmealotus

@MrKlorox: your comment about Darksiders being more like Zelda than Binding of Issac isn't relevant to this because Darksiders never came out on a Nintendo platform.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By TwoLines

That's ridiculous. Why don't we boycott God of War because it offends Greek mythology? This is so silly.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By hermes

After Super Meat Boy's reaction and this, I think McMillen should realize Nintendo is not a healthy environment for indie developers. I think his insistence is mostly fan loyalty.

Its ok, though. He can always come to PSN. I am sure we will welcome SMB and BOI properly...

MrKlorox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By MrKlorox
    @Spankmealotus said:

@MrKlorox: your comment about Darksiders being more like Zelda than Binding of Issac isn't relevant to this because Darksiders never came out on a Nintendo platform.

Darksiders 2 is coming out for Wii-U and I believe Darksiders 1 footage was shown during the Wii-U unveiling.

@GrizzlyAdams: The similarities between LttP and Isaac are way more superficial than those between Darksiders and Isaac. Visually, yes BoI looks a lot more like a (2D) Zelda game. But in terms of actual gameplay and elements, Darksiders is closer to the (3D) Zelda style.
    Swiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Swiv

A company like Nintendo is free to publish what they want on their products, and there is no censorship about it. It isn't their first denial gaff either. Just talk to Robert Pelloni of 'Bob's Game'. Here in America people tend to think they have a right to not be offended ever, and whiile that's not the case, Nintendo does have the right to steer their organization however they please, even if it's right into the ground.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff
    deactivated-5ffc9b71f33ff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 18

I'm curious to the ones complaining... would you feel the same if Nintendo blocked a game for it's gay bashing? If that's somehow different, then you need to check your hypocrisy.

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Winternet

One more chance I have to say that The Binding of Isaac is awesome and you should definitely play it.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.