Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Darkness II

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Return to the dark life of Jackie Estacado in The Darkness II, Digital Extremes' sequel to the 2007 shooter by Starbreeze.

The Darkness 2 Finally Confirmed

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Well, without Starbreeze, I'm not so sure about it. While I loved The Darkness a whole lot, I'm glad to see Starbreeze has moved on. They've proven to be an amazing company and I can't wait to see what they can come up with next.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

Hmm, i got the first today and have already nearly completed it. Excited

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By jkz

I want me some Starbreeze though....they're brilliant work on atmosphere is what made that game for me

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By Venatio

I still wanna play the first one but I am a little unsure about this since StarBreeze isnt involved

vidiot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By vidiot

While I'm happy something has been confirmed, I'm upset that StarBreeze is moving on. Whoever takes the reigns over the sequel better take StarBreeze's lead in terms of making a First Person Shooter Adventure game, which is StarBreeze's gameplay trademark. I hope the same level of quality and style with the singleplayer campaign is apparent in the sequel.

While I'm worried who will take over, and to what extent quality the sequel will be. I should point out that StarBreeze is working on a Bourne game. As in The Bourne Identity. As in a perfect property to continue their style of story-telling shooter gameplay they started with Riddick.

I always felt the first Darkness (While did well critically and commercially.) Was kinda skipped out on by a majority of gamers. I thought it was a really well put together product, one of my top five games of that year.

Oh, and the multiplayer should actually try this time.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By KamasamaK

Good news, I guess. But no Starbreeze makes me a little apprehensive.

metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8  Edited By metal_mills

No Starbreeze? Pass. :(

Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Toxin066
    @vidiot said:
    " I always felt the first Darkness (While did well critically and commercially.) Was kinda skipped out on by a majority of gamers. I thought it was a really well put together product, one of my top five games of that year. "
    You took the words right out of my mouth. The shooting felt good, the atmosphere was pretty great, the story and the telling of it was compelling, and the darkness powers (especially the tentacles) really worked.  I ask around and yeah, it seems like a whole bunch of people completely passed on this game, which is a shame.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CL60

w00t

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By guiseppe

The topic made me excited but no Starbreeze... I don't know. Hopefully it'll still be a great game, or perhaps even better :)..

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#12  Edited By sjschmidt93

I couldn't be less excited about this game.

Black_Raven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Black_Raven

I'll keep an eye on it but it sucks Starbreeze isn't involved.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14  Edited By Vod_Crack

I still have hope for it, even with a new developer.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @vidiot said:
    I always felt the first Darkness (While did well critically and commercially.) Was kinda skipped out on by a majority of gamers. I thought it was a really well put together product, one of my top five games of that year.
    Yeah, I've always felt that way too. For being such a quality game, I think it flew under most people's radars. I still think it's one of the finest games available on the 360. It is very impressive in every right.
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By yakov456
    @Toxin066 said:
    "@vidiot said:
    " I always felt the first Darkness (While did well critically and commercially.) Was kinda skipped out on by a majority of gamers. I thought it was a really well put together product, one of my top five games of that year. "
    You took the words right out of my mouth. The shooting felt good, the atmosphere was pretty great, the story and the telling of it was compelling, and the darkness powers (especially the tentacles) really worked.  I ask around and yeah, it seems like a whole bunch of people completely passed on this game, which is a shame."

Same here, I really was surprised at how much I liked this game. Except for the ending. But some parts of the game blew me away.
    Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#17  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

Hate to be dismissive just because of an announcement, but Starbreeze Studios' development really helped the first game become great. I'm not so sure about this one.

dancingphlower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18  Edited By dancingphlower

I want to be excited...but this could end up being a major disappointment without the involvement of Starbreeze. I just hope whoever's making it doesn't turn it into another run of the mill FPS.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Linkyshinks

They assured fans that who they do choose for the next game, will please.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Akeldama

fuck yes.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By jakob187

JENNY!!!

@Linkyshinks said:
    " They assured fans that who they do choose for the next game, will please. "
    There are few companies I could think of that would be able to do it.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By iamjohn

I am incredibly wary about this game being made by someone other than Starbreeze.  :\

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @jakob187 said:
    " JENNY!!!

@Linkyshinks said:
    " They assured fans that who they do choose for the next game, will please. "
    There are few companies I could think of that would be able to do it.
    "

Who would you like to see do it?

Some expertise in creating games with dark subject matter would be advantageous.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By jakob187
    @Linkyshinks: I would LIKE to see Starbreeze take another crack at it, mostly because they have a lot of the groundwork done already.  All they need to do is make the animations more fluid, upgrade their graphics engine a bit more, and offer gameplay that's a bit less stiff.  The rest was pretty much on par with what I wanted.

Nonetheless, since they WON'T be doing it, I think there's only one real choice:  2K Boston or Marin.  It keeps the IP under the 2K banner, we know the guys can do pretty amazing work with a story-driven FPS that focuses on dark subject matter, and it would be awesome to see something that ISN'T Bioshock come from the studios.  Starbreeze laid a great foundation down for making this a venerable franchise, but they missed a couple of key components to grabbing the audiences of today:  graphics that look like more than highly-shadowed Xbox graphics (putting Darkness side-by-side with Riddick on the first Xbox proves to be an interesting test), multiplayer that flows well and handles just as good, an extra sense of place and purpose...and for fuck's sake,  A CITY THAT DOESN'T FEEL LIKE A GHOST TOWN!!!  I really think that 2K Boston, with their Bioshock experience, could do well...but even then, if Marin were to work on it after the release of Bioshock 2, I'm sure it would work just as well.

Besides, as far as we know...2K Boston isn't doing a damn thing right now!
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @jakob187 said:
    " @Linkyshinks: I would LIKE to see Starbreeze take another crack at it, mostly because they have a lot of the groundwork done already.  All they need to do is make the animations more fluid, upgrade their graphics engine a bit more, and offer gameplay that's a bit less stiff.  The rest was pretty much on par with what I wanted.

Nonetheless, since they WON'T be doing it, I think there's only one real choice:  2K Boston or Marin.  It keeps the IP under the 2K banner, we know the guys can do pretty amazing work with a story-driven FPS that focuses on dark subject matter, and it would be awesome to see something that ISN'T Bioshock come from the studios.  Starbreeze laid a great foundation down for making this a venerable franchise, but they missed a couple of key components to grabbing the audiences of today:  graphics that look like more than highly-shadowed Xbox graphics (putting Darkness side-by-side with Riddick on the first Xbox proves to be an interesting test), multiplayer that flows well and handles just as good, an extra sense of place and purpose...and for fuck's sake,  A CITY THAT DOESN'T FEEL LIKE A GHOST TOWN!!!  I really think that 2K Boston, with their Bioshock experience, could do well...but even then, if Marin were to work on it after the release of Bioshock 2, I'm sure it would work just as well.

Besides, as far as we know...2K Boston isn't doing a damn thing right now!
    "

And so you want two companies who have expertise in creating underwater ghost towns :?, Seriously though, I do agree with your overall thoughts. 2K Boston would be the finest alternative, and like you say, they're not known to be working on anything currently, officially anyway.  Yeah, if Marin's sequel ends up surprising the haters, I too would be happy for them to take the project.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Kohe321
    @TheGreatGuero said:
    " Well, without Starbreeze, I'm not so sure about it. While I loved The Darkness a whole lot, I'm glad to see Starbreeze has moved on. They've proven to be an amazing company and I can't wait to see what they can come up with next. "
    Same here. I hope the sequel is worthy, though. The Darkness was awesome...
    IncipitOmega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By IncipitOmega

Great,the first was amaizing...hope they also make a good multiplayer  :D

Rumik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Rumik

Really enjoyed the first game, though just moving from one subway to the next was kinda dull. And the finale was a little anti-climactic. I get what they were trying to do, but they'd already done it with the girlfriend so not sure it was necessary. Ah well. A sequel will be welcome :)

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jeffsekai

So, has there been anything new about this?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.