Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

If I loved Fallout 3, will I like Oblivion?

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
    deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

After all of the talk about Fallout 3 on the bombcast every week. I decided to pick up the game and try it myself. Needless to say, I have had kid of a marathon playing the game this week as I have played threw the main story and all of the DLC. After finishing it I thought that I havent actually played Oblivion. I was thinking about picking it up and playing threw it as well. Speciall since I loved Fallout 3. I was wondering though, does Obliovion hold up after over three years? Could I play it now and still have a good time. Or should I just skip that one completely?
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Nope. I don't think so. I love Fallout 3 and hate Oblivion. Fallout 3 really fixes a lot of Oblivion's problems and builds on it. Plus it's so much more fun and interesting. I thought I'd love Oblivion, but I've never been able to get all that into it. It's not a terrible game or anything, and I've had some fun with it, but it seems very repetitive and kinda boring to me. There's also so much more diversity in the world of Fallout 3. In Oblivion, so many places seemed so similar to me that it could be hard to tell if I was revisiting a place I've already been to. Also, the guards are unbelievably annoying and I never found the characters in Oblivion to be interesting.

FiestaUnicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By FiestaUnicorn

If you like Fallout 3 you'll probably like Oblivion also.  There both similar, the biggest difference is in the setting and the leveling up works differently but they're both great games.
    breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By breadfan

If the fantasy setting is your things then you will probably end up liking Oblivion.  The main difference obviously is no guns or post apocalypse, but there is still a great emphasize on the game world and the sheer scale of Oblivion's world is much larger than Fallout 3's.  Oblivion should be pretty cheap by now so even if you don't like it, it's not like your spending $60 on it.

Metasin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Metasin

It depends, as long as you like a fantasy setting and can deal with first person hack-n-slashery then I'd say go for it. The world feels much more populated and gives the impression of a quest around every corner, which can lead to aimles wandering. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. Still looks as good as ever (the peoples faces were just as ugly then).

EdIsCool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By EdIsCool

The most annoying thing about Fallout 3 as a Bethesda fanboy is that treasure hunting is pointless the unique weapons dont have different models.
    I spend almost all my time playing these games dungeon crawling for unique and cool looking items..Fallout sucks in that department.
    Oblivion's main quest is awful though it get really repetitive about 2/3 of the way through.
    Apart from that Oblivion is bigger and better than Fallout 3 As is has so many awesome side quests.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#7  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Maybe. There are plenty of people on these forums who hate Oblivion and love Fallout 3. I personally like Oblivion more, for it's more open-ended nature and bigger size, but you should at least try it out.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By jakob187

Aesthetically, they have a lot of the same features:  first-person RPG gameplay, tons of skills and items, massive world.  However, in Fallout 3, you level up by gaining XP.  In Oblivion, you level up by increasing certain skills that you set as your primaries during your character creation.  Essentially, you can hit max level by simply choosing Athletics and putting a rubber band on your stick to keep you swimming in a corner, then check back every once in a while to make sure your controller hasn't disconnected.  It's stupid as shit.  Also, there's no guns...or VATS...or post-apocalyptic wasteland...or Harold. 

Personally, I hate Oblivion, but a lot of people seem to disagree with me.  So whatever.  It's so cheap that you should pick up the GOTY Edition of it just to whore the 1250 achievement points.  After that, if you still like it, then cool.  If not, well...you got 1250 easy but time-consuming achievement points.

TerraDelu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By TerraDelu

I am living this right now. I LOVED Fallout 3 and having never played Oblivion, upon completion of Fallout, I picked this up. I don't know if I am just suffering from Bethesda fatigue or what, but I cannot get into this game at all. Truthfully, I think it's the story. Fallout 3 started with a really clever way of getting things going by having you go through your young life in the vault, where Oblivion really just threw you into a story in a silly way (who would put a secret passage in a jail cell?). Also, one of my favorite moments in Fallout was first leaving the vault and entering this totally fucked world. When I started Oblivion, I expected something similar after leaving the sewers. Nope. Beyond this, I think my biggest problem getting into Oblivion is that the world in Fallout is far more interesting to me. I like fantasy-type games and movies, but the Oblivion world is just sooooo boring and generic to me. I'm still going to try and play through the whole game, I just wonder if I had played Oblivion first if I would feel the same...    

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By ryoma122

well the only diffrece i can see between them is  
    fallout has guns oblivion does not thats it  
    ok im not talking about story wise for the record lol
    grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By grilledcheez

It's too difficult to say...typically people enjoy one more than the other...I strongly disliked Fallout 3 and loved Oblivion for example.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By natetodamax
    @PainGod89: I loved Fallout 3, and because of that I picked up Oblivion and loved it too. Both are great games.
    Big_D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Big_D

If oblivion had VATS it would be awesome. nothing beats running backwards firing fireballs and watch them fly by a goblins head. I hated Oblivion but loved Fallout.

Akeldama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Akeldama

I suspect you will enjoy Oblivion more.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

Well I loved Oblivion I think you should if you enjoyed Fallout.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By spankingaddict

I loved Fallout 3 and disliked Oblivion... but thats just my opinion...

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#17  Edited By trophyhunter

would you like fallout if was in a much better looking world, and had a ton more things to do in it? if yes then you like it

FireBurger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By FireBurger

Fallout 3 was alright, but Oblivion is easily my favorite singleplayer game of all time. If what you liked was the post-apocalyptic setting, then Oblivion might not be for you. But, if what you liked was the epic sense of scale and the large gameworld, you'll probably like it.

Personally, I think Oblivion's world is much nicer (fantasy, everything's not dead and brown), and it feels much more populated with both NPCs and places to explore. Plus, unlike Fallout, the various guilds give you tons of fun quests to do. If you do pick it up, I'd suggest forgoing the goody-two-shoes route. The Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood are too much fun to miss out on. Also, Shivering Isles is a must, the other DLC not so much (I think GOTY edition comes with SI and Knights of the Nine). 

I've put 150+ hours into the game, playing through it three times: Once as a "good guy"  brawler doing pretty much just the main quest and some side stuff, once as a magic user doing all of the guilds and the arena, and a third time playing as an archer doing just Shivering Isles.

Obviously, I can't recommend it enough.

EDIT: Well, after seeing this was started a month ago I looked at your achievements and see you've already beat it. Still, what I said stands. Check out the other guilds and SI if you're still into the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.