Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

It's Finally Over, I've Finally Done It...

• 60 results
    AzureSupernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By AzureSupernova

I can agree somewhat. To an extent I enjoyed Oblivion, but I felt that the main questline was rather dull and yes, none of the characters gave me any reason for me to not turn my blade on them so I could loot their corpses. I think perhaps Bethesda were relying on the player to use their own imagination and somehow force themself into caring about the citizens (and even the player character) in Cyrodil. Maybe if you enjoy that kind of extra-role playing element in a game, then Oblivion if for you. But really, there are so many elements in Oblivion that hold no place in the story or the side quests... such as owning a house? Vampirism? Guilds? All it served to do was annoy me further at how relentlessly lifeless the people were... I applaud you for your honesty as well as bravery into entering the vile domain of Cyrodil, hating it and yet carrying on...
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @THE_END said:
    "Dude what class was your character?  What did you play as? "

Is it even relevant? 

I played a human (or equivilent) warrior type, and don't give me any speil about needing to play a stealth or magic type etc in order to "fully enjoy" an RPG, i've played my main class as a ranger or warrior type since the dawn of time (apart from pen and paper DnD where I usually play a Wiz) and never found myself unable to enjoy or interface with a well designed game. 

Despite playing a warrior, I was still able to cast a wide arraw of spells, use stealth, and ultimately those were more effective than outright combat, go figure...
    willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#53  Edited By willin

Oblivion is one of the very few game that l'll have a nerd fight over. I'd taken it that most of the people played Oblivion after they played Fallout 3?

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By Druminator

i love oblivion. was playing earlier today. still need to complete the thieves and fighters guilds and shivering isles.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#55  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Most wrpg games follows that format of oblivion. Maybe it's just not your style of game. However I enjoyed oblivion, it was simple and fun unlike most dull wrpg games.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@Druminator said:
    " i love oblivion. was playing earlier today. still need to complete the thieves and fighters guilds and shivering isles. "
    The two guilds you have left are probably the two least interesting ones. Though some people take a real liking to the Thieves Guild.  

Shivering Isles was a lot of fun, though. When Bethesda gets wacky, the games get a lot more enjoyable. 

@Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:
    " Oblivion is one of the very few game that l'll have a nerd fight over.
    Dude, why? I love Oblivion, but the trappings of the game people complain about are pretty clear and valid points of grievance, I'd say. It's one of those things where you sort of have to accept the flaws of the game's design to accept the game, as banal as that sounds.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:
    "Oblivion is one of the very few game that l'll have a nerd fight over. I'd taken it that most of the people played Oblivion after they played Fallout 3? "

A lot of people say this about many games, and honestly, I don't know where it comes from. What, people aren't allowed to dislike a game?  

I'd been trying, and failing miserably, to play Oblivion since the day it came out on PC. Both then and now I cannot understand even one ounce of the praise it recieves, yet am happy to sit back and accept that people love it. However, the instant somebody dislikes it, you have to come up with a list of reasons (most of which the other person will instantly declare 'invalid') I don't think so. 

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Druminator
    @Sir_Ragnarok: yea that's what i hear but those are the only things i have left to get all the achievements, which i've taken years to get.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

"Most wrpg games follows that format of oblivion. Maybe it's just not your style of game. However I enjoyed oblivion, it was simple and fun unlike most dull wrpg games. "

This suggestion comes up a lot whenever I talk about not liking Oblivion, but it's completely the opposite. Most (debatable anyway) WRPGs (CRPGs) have only followed this formula since Oblivion, and to some extent since Morrowind. However, that's not relevant. I have enjoyed the large amount of WRPGs, even those closely resembling Oblivion. It's not the style of game I dislike, in fact, it's one of my favorite genres (as shown by my fervant love of the Fallout franchise, Baldur's Gate, and other classic CRPGs, as well as modern titles such as Mass Effect, Bloodlines and others) 

It's just Oblivion. There is something about it that makes me want to kill myself while playing it. Yes, there are a lot of poor design decisions and legitimate grievances as another poster pointed out, but at the same time there are a lot of things based entirely in my own opinion, such as the lack of fun leading to the game feeling stuffy and condescending. But that's just my opinion about one game, it doesn't instantly mean I must hate CRPGs. That's just a silly thing to assume. 

I dislike The Godfather, that doesn't mean I hate films...
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d056614f191a
    deactivated-5d056614f191a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

You never finish Oblivion, you live it!

You dont finish the game by getting 1000 achivements or finish the story.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.