Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion is just too big

backflip10019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By backflip10019

So, as probably none of you know, I am currently playing through the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on 360 for the first time. While my views on the game change day by day, I can safely say that the game is just too big, and too long for the average consumer. Thus far, I have put over 40 hours of my free time into the game, and I expect that I am about halfway through. In this day and age, I am aware that many people are calling various game developers out for creating games that are too short -- 8 hour spectacles that barely live up to the hype that they are given. However, I am calling for the opposite. For the average person, Oblivion is just too massive a game to enjoy. Sure, I loved the game for the first day and a half of gameplay time that I committed to it. However, dungeon crawling and quest-fulfilling is starting to get old ... incredibly fast. My experience with Bethesda-created games is very limited (only played Fallout 3 for a couple of hours before losing interest), but I believe that developers need to focus on creating plot-focused games that deliver more on story-line and action and create less drag than the games that we are now accustomed to.

backflip10019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By backflip10019

So, as probably none of you know, I am currently playing through the Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on 360 for the first time. While my views on the game change day by day, I can safely say that the game is just too big, and too long for the average consumer. Thus far, I have put over 40 hours of my free time into the game, and I expect that I am about halfway through. In this day and age, I am aware that many people are calling various game developers out for creating games that are too short -- 8 hour spectacles that barely live up to the hype that they are given. However, I am calling for the opposite. For the average person, Oblivion is just too massive a game to enjoy. Sure, I loved the game for the first day and a half of gameplay time that I committed to it. However, dungeon crawling and quest-fulfilling is starting to get old ... incredibly fast. My experience with Bethesda-created games is very limited (only played Fallout 3 for a couple of hours before losing interest), but I believe that developers need to focus on creating plot-focused games that deliver more on story-line and action and create less drag than the games that we are now accustomed to.

sup909

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By sup909

I felt exactly the same way with the game. I had the same problem with Fallout 3 and while I normally love RPG's, the sandbox RPG genre for me at least is that I found myself plodding around the world without a purpose or direction. As seems the case with you as well, I needed a stronger story to drive me a long in the game.  

Perhaps part of the problem too was that so many of the dungeons took forever to complete. They were just too long for "sidequests" for me personally. At the end of the day I just have to say that it wasn't my cup of tea. 

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By yakov456

Well I guess it's one of those games you either love or hate. In FO3 and Oblivion I have 100+ hours of gameplay in. Especially with Oblivion, I just enjoy sightseeing. To each his own.

backflip10019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By backflip10019

Exactly.  I keep finding myself completely overwhelmed by the size of the world that I'm thrown into, and although there is a coherent storyline, it just seems too huge for me to really focus on. I mean, there are, what, four different factions in addition to the main storyline that I'm supposed to identify with?  It's really just too much for me.  While I love traditional sandbox games, I just wish that Oblivion was just a little bit more linear in the sense that the game just throws too much raw information at you at once to fully handle and comprehend.

Avatar image for deactivated-61665c8292280
    deactivated-61665c8292280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Too long? I don't know, man. You can legitimately cruise through the main quest in ten hours' time. It's just a matter of not getting caught up with the side stuff. 

When I first started Oblivion, I had a similar reaction. That first moment, the one where you've just escaped from the sewers and you're standing on the pier and looking up from the basin, out at the forest and mountains beyond. Like, holy fuck. "Overwhelming" doesn't quite cut it. 

The real delicate meat of any Bethesda game isn't the main quest anyhow. And it's not really the exploration as a lot of people want to claim, either. The side-quests and factions, though immediately extraneous to the narrative, do a lot of things for Bethesda's universes. Especially Oblivion. They give the game a breathing texture, a more vibrant life, and, on a more pragmatic end, they help you find and come to terms with the vast game-space.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By JoelTGM

No way.  Oblivion tells you exactly where to go at all times.  The main story is not that long at all.  You don't have to complete every guild quest, you don't have to enter every oblivion gate, all you have to do is the main story quests to complete it.  Then after that, I recommend completing all of the guilds, it's fun. 

CornontheCobbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CornontheCobbe

Oblivion and F3 are huge games. I'd say Oblivion is much bigger, even with the F3 expansions.

However i have put many many hours into both games i lost count. 

But don't give up on Oblivion duder! It's awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
    deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Problem isn't that it's too big. Problem is the main quest and the general quality of the setting sucks ass.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@CornontheCobbe said:
     But don't give up on Oblivion duder! It's awesome. "
    I think should be at the end of every reply posted in this thread. Because, really, this is the moral of the story.
    sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By sopranosfan
    @Bellum said:
    " Problem isn't that it's too big. Problem is the main quest and the general quality of the setting sucks ass. "
    I now hate you....J/K but I do like the game.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#11  Edited By Claude

Don't play Morrowind. I played Oblivion when it came out on the PC, and I'm still playing Morrowind. We'll never see the likes of that again. Talk to Dave, everything is getting made for the masses now.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By ajamafalous
    @sup909 said:
    " I felt exactly the same way with the game. I had the same problem with Fallout 3 and while I normally love RPG's, the sandbox RPG genre for me at least is that I found myself plodding around the world without a purpose or direction. As seems the case with you as well, I needed a stronger story to drive me a long in the game. "
    I feel the same way.
    NakAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NakAttack

i fucking loved morrowind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Claude said:
    " Don't play Morrowind.
    Haha. As an addendum to my last post, this should also be posted at the end of every reply.

Because if you think Oblivion is overwhelming, you ain't seen shit.
    backflip10019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By backflip10019
    @Sir_Ragnarok: That's a legitimate remark.  Well, I guess in addition to all I said before, with all of the amazing games coming out nowadays (personally I'm looking at God of War III, Dark Siders, Assassin's Creed II, Batman: Arkham Asylum and the like) there just isn't enough time for the average gamer to fully complete and appreciate the huge scope that is Oblivion.  

One of the most taxing things that I noticed about the game is the loading times.  It seems that almost every single door that you pass through, or every cave that you enter, you have to go through a 15+ second loading screen.  SInce you're frequently traveling between areas, this is one issue that comes up a lot.  I'm usually not one to complain about loading times, but this game is ridiculous. I understand that you can install the game to your hard drive to possibly eliminate loading times, but I don't have enough space to do so (20 GB HD).  In my opinion, the loading screens really detract from the experience of the game.  I just wish that Bethesda would have focused on this problem before releasing or re-releasing the game for the 360.
    Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Adamantium

Aw man, that's terrible! I mean obviously each game holds its own appeal for the person playing it, but I thought the freedom and depth of Oblivion's game world was awesome! Granted, dungeon crawling can get quite repetitive, but the way to play is to mix it up: do a few story missions, then a side mission or two, then a faction quest, then find some random dungeons to explore, then go enchant some weapons or something, kill an innocent civilian or two, buy new gear, and do it all again. 

It's really a shame you're not enjoying it as much, duder! Make sure to do a wide variety of stuff so you don't get bored or overwhelmed!

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By Brendan
    @Claude said:
    "Don't play Morrowind. I played Oblivion when it came out on the PC, and I'm still playing Morrowind. We'll never see the likes of that again. Talk to Dave, everything is getting made for the masses now. "

Although in terms of general trends you are completely correct, there are still games like Dragon Age and Demon's Souls which are doing pretty well at keeping grounded in the past while using some new tricks. 
    yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By yakov456

I could not hang with Morrowind, my attention span is very short and that game was super heavy on text and dialogue trees. Zzzzzzzzzz.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sopranosfan said:
    " @Bellum said:
    " Problem isn't that it's too big. Problem is the main quest and the general quality of the setting sucks ass. "
    I now hate you....J/K but I do like the game. "

Oh I do, too. That is, I like character development and I like a lot of the "side" quests. I just hated the main quest, I thought the setting and dialog was implausible and infantile when compared to its predicessor, and I thought the map was dull and not very fun to explore.
    backflip10019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By backflip10019
    @Adamantium: Sure, it was great for a while. From the beginning of the game, I vowed to try and complete every quest that I came upon exactly in that order.  That seemed to be quite the mistake.  Countless times I would find myself waiting hours for events to happen, or different parts of the story to open up. (I was also turned into a vampire really early on in the game [around level 3 or so and spent a good amount of time trying to fix that]).  

As far as I am right now, (finished the Mage's Guild questline and the Arena, almost finished with the Fighter's Guild and Dark Brotherhood and haven't really touched the Thieves Guild or Main Questline), I find myself hoping that the game will end quicker so that I can move onto other games.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By Claude
    @Brendan said:
    " @Claude said:
    "Don't play Morrowind. I played Oblivion when it came out on the PC, and I'm still playing Morrowind. We'll never see the likes of that again. Talk to Dave, everything is getting made for the masses now. "
    Although in terms of general trends you are completely correct, there are still games like Dragon Age and Demon's Souls which are doing pretty well at keeping grounded in the past while using some new tricks.  "
    True that, Dave mentioned that fact in his review of Dragon Age. I'm playing Dragon Age now and enjoying it, but it's a different kind of CRPG is you ask me. I'm still learning, but having fun while doing it.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@backflip10019: Oh, drag. Sucks about the Vampirism thing. In my opinion, I'd rather be a Vampire in Oblivion than not, but I'd definitely not want to be that right away, especially after having just started playing the game. That's just bad luck, man. And I could see how, even that alone, your judgment of the game could be a little negative. Because that quest to cure Vampirism is fucking noxious.
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#23  Edited By thatfrood

Oblivion? Big?
    Pfah. Oblivion is an empty, lifeless place. Go play Morrowind, then you can talk to me about big.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Adamantium
    @backflip10019 said:

" @Adamantium: Sure, it was great for a while. From the beginning of the game, I vowed to try and complete every quest that I came upon exactly in that order.  That seemed to be quite the mistake.  Countless times I would find myself waiting hours for events to happen, or different parts of the story to open up. (I was also turned into a vampire really early on in the game [around level 3 or so and spent a good amount of time trying to fix that]).    As far as I am right now, (finished the Mage's Guild questline and the Arena, almost finished with the Fighter's Guild and Dark Brotherhood and haven't really touched the Thieves Guild or Main Questline), I find myself hoping that the game will end quicker so that I can move onto other games. "

Yeah you definitely have to pick and choose the order you do the quests, as opposed to doing every one that comes up then going to the next. I can see how that would get rough. Vampirism is a real pain to deal with too, especially on your first playthrough.

If you still have the stomach for the game, do enough of the main quest to begin shutting down random Oblivion gates. Those will net you nice loot (even though they are way repetitive themselves), and are a decent diversion between faction quests. Also, don't forget there's no shame in putting the game down for a week or two and coming back to it fresh. And you can play it in shorter sittings (couple hours here, few hours there), It may offer more appeal by then.
    backflip10019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By backflip10019
    @Sir_Ragnarok: Hahah, yeah, if I remember correctly it took me about 4 or 5 hours to fix. Getting sun damage annoyed me so much early on that I just couldn't deal with it. It was definitely a turn-off.

Although I should mention that I am still overall enjoying the game. The immense size of the overworld and huge scope of some of the quests hasn't put me off entirely. I just wish that it was a bit shorter and a tad more linear.
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#26  Edited By Coombs

Your view of the "Average Gamer" and mine are different.
    I enjoyed playing oblivion, And the sheer amount of stuff to do was the main reason for that.
    You don't like it, That's fine. But it doesn't mean it's to big for the "Average Gamer"

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@backflip10019 said:
    " @Adamantium: Sure, it was great for a while. From the beginning of the game, I vowed to try and complete every quest that I came upon exactly in that order.  That seemed to be quite the mistake.  Countless times I would find myself waiting hours for events to happen, or different parts of the story to open up. (I was also turned into a vampire really early on in the game [around level 3 or so and spent a good amount of time trying to fix that]).    As far as I am right now, (finished the Mage's Guild questline and the Arena, almost finished with the Fighter's Guild and Dark Brotherhood and haven't really touched the Thieves Guild or Main Questline), I find myself hoping that the game will end quicker so that I can move onto other games. "

You seem to be playing for the wrong reasons. Playing through all of the content is beside the point. The point is to create your character. You get out of the story what you put into it.
    backflip10019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By backflip10019
    @Bellum: I'm playing to get a complete sense of the game, to try and tackle each guild and questline, as I believe the developers intended.  I understand that many of these so-called "sidequests" are absolutely skippable, but I want to try and complete the entire game as it was intended to be completed.  Is that really too much to expect?  Maybe finishing the Mage's Guild first was a poor idea, as I now find my character to be almost unstoppable what with the crazy high level spells and weapons that I have.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@backflip10019: 

That isn't how the game was intended to be played, man. Besides, the quality of the content is such that if you don't have the emotional attachment of a character that you are interested in, it is no wonder you are not enjoying the game.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@backflip10019: I think that might be my favorite part, blasting people with hardcore spells. 

@Bellum: I think you're right to an extent, but even you said earlier in the thread that the game's locale just isn't particularly gripping. For him, it isn't the game's atmosphere, but the narrative's general layout that is cumbersome and, therefore, bland. It hard to ask for someone to care about their character in a world they, in actuality, don't care about.
    MrPickles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By MrPickles

I personally like the fact the the game is hella-long. It gives you a reason to keep playing. There's so much to do and all of it sucks you into the whole universe that Oblivion is based around, it's like crack.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Just like my penis.

mano521

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By mano521
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " Just like my penis. "
    /win
    backflip10019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By backflip10019
    @Bellum: Did you really have an emotional attachment to your created character?  I mean, when a character doesn't have a voice and really isn't shown in any cut-scenes or anything, it's tough for me to be emotionally attached to him.  Especially when he's in some far-away land that has lizard-people in it that I can't really relate to.  The reason I started playing this game was to get attached to an epic storyline and have some good old action-RPG fun.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@backflip10019: 
    Don't get too caught up on the strong sound of "emotional attachment". Any game that has an avatar needs to establish some sort of connection between the player and the avatar. It's an important part of game design. In an Elder Scrolls game, it is the most important element. The setting in Morrowind was great, but as far as the "storytelling" goes, The Elder Scrolls has never been particularly strong. The idea is that the player (you) makes a character that is his. He gets attached to this character. As he moves around in the world, this character grows and so does the players attachment. That's the point of an Elder Scrolls game. If you just want to experience all the quests, they are completely without emotional context and you will be disappointed. 

I mean, that describes your experience, doesn't it? You don't care about your character, so you don't care about the story. I mean, it's not like it stands very well on its own. That's why you get all those character customization options. So you can really get into creating a unique character.
    backflip10019

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By backflip10019
    @Bellum: I care about my character insofar as he is progressing the storyline, but do I really care about his looks, his personality, etc?  Not really.  I feel like this is kind of what you were referring to in your earlier posts.  Personally, I was looking for some outside kind of storytelling narrative that would progress a comprehensive story and thus far, I haven't really gotten that.  I find myself detached from other characters, as well as my own, and I find myself wishing that I can just get to the action so that the game can end.  Maybe I just have a problem with the story, itself, as it doesn't really seem all that engaging to me, but I definitely have a problem getting into the fiction of Oblivion.
    mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#38  Edited By mrhankey
    @backflip10019: 
    I just want to say that, if you're like me, you follow the main story arc (Elder Scrolls and Fallout) which is about 12 hours...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@backflip10019: 
    I think you understand me. When I start an elder scrolls game, I usually take like thirty or forty minutes to make a character. Some people get all into it like a D&D character and make a background story and all kinda stuff, but I just frame a general idea of what kind of dude my character is. Is he a psychopath, or a hero? What kind of archetypes does he fulfill? I might create a custom sort of "cleric" character or a "necromancer" or whatever. All this will roughly influence what sort of skills I emphasize and what quests I take. It is a much more meaningful way to approach an open ended RPG like this. Bethesda never meant for you to systematically approach and complete all of the quests.
    Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40  Edited By TheMustacheHero

At least there's fast travel...In Morrowing you couldn't fast travel at all!

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#41  Edited By the8bitNacho

I need linearity in my RPGs.  Otherwise I feel lost.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By c1337us

After I had done the Main Quest, Guild quest and every little mini side quest and expansion I could get my hands on I had a lot of fun just running around looking for Nirnroot and seeing what was "just over there." If that thing isn't your bag picking a Bethesda RPG probably wasn't the best move. Also if you just want to burn through the Main Quest there is no way should would need 40 hours, it could easily be done in less then half that. I don't know off the top of my head but I reckon I would have put in a solid 300hrs + into that game.

FireSketch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FireSketch

The point of Bethesda games will hopefully never be the plot. They're very talented at making you feel immersed and giving the player freedom to make their own story. It's, of course, personal opinion - I wish Oblivion was bigger!
    You're right about the average consumer though, I know someone who "completed" it in a day.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.