Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Why Oblivion is better than Fallout 3.

• 62 results
    JDMan1313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#51  Edited By JDMan1313

I liked fallout 3 better than Oblivion, I thought the setting was way more interesting and unique than Oblivion. In a way F3 was like a spiritual successor to Morrowind for me.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#52  Edited By armaan8014
    @TheGreatGuero:  Well, I've got strange reasons for liking Oblivion.. I just love all the ancient medieval type environment and feel... You know grass, trees, rivers, kingdoms, swords, etc..  That's why my fav. games are like The Witcher, Fable, etc. and movies like LoTR, The last Samurai.. etc :P   M basically a fan of that era..
    My main source of enjoyment in the game was just walking about the beautiful landscapes, playing the role of my sneaky marksman, and just doing side - quests. (side quests WERE interesting).
    I didn't even touch the main quest till the end! Didn't want oblivion gates all around...

And I hardly went into any of the caves- too boring, and i could get better stuff by stealing. Cuz my theif character was such an expert that he probably could have stolen from Uriel septim's house itself :D 

So yeah, i guess I agree with you that Fallout 3 may be more interesting, but the fact that survival was tough as a good guy and the mutants kicked my a** before I could fearlessly explore the world, made Oblivion a more pleasing experience for me..  Yes, i guess Oblivion is pretty much dead from the inside. 

I guess this time around I'll play as an evil guy and steal weapons whenever I can, so that I win all fights and stuff.. 
    But one thing that i will get used to in the game is the gun sounds- every gun (esp rifles) sounds like your stepping on a bunch of cockroaches :D

And about Oblivion, I guess if you didn't enjoy the game for what it is, you can either change it with mods, or just go out there to enjoy the scenery :)
    RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#53  Edited By RobotHamster

I liked fallout 3 better, than oblivion.  I couldn't get passed the first two hours of oblivion because it was all very boring to me.  Even though post apacolyptic is overrated, fallout 3 was a cool world to be in and I had fun doing the missions.  it wasn't perfect though, I didn't play it as much as everyone else and I only played it once through, but thats a lot longer than what I lasted with oblivion which didn't really pull me in as I thought it would.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#54  Edited By Adamantium

Between the two, Oblivion is where it's at. The random encounters in FO3 do give the world a nice sense of habitation that Oblivion doesn't have, butmagic and weapon customization go a long, long way in a game where you can create your own characters. Plus the fact that aiming a ranged weapon at an enemy and shooting them in the head actually works in Oblivion goes a long way too.

Though I will give FO3 mad credit for one thing: you can pick up dead corpses and dance around with them to some crazy 1940s music.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#55  Edited By citizenkane
    Lestater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#56  Edited By Lestater

16 hours on Fallout 3, 120 hours on Oblivion.

Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#57  Edited By Knives

Morrowind had the best world, the best immersion, the best/wondrous feeling of exploration, the best music, the most variety. Oblivion and Fallout 3 were dumbed down, although Fallout 3 less so. If you really think about, Oblivions world is just as bland as Fallout 3. Oh look, another forest.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#58  Edited By sjschmidt93
    @Atramentous said:
    " They are bother pretty bad games. I dont think i could say one was better then the other. "
    Haven't played Oblivion but definitely feel like this about Fallout.
    Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#59  Edited By Tennmuerti

Both games are kind of MEH, while they're are fine when considered alone, however both are overshadowed by their predecessors.
    Morrowind was to me by far better then Oblivion
    And Fallout 3 simply was a disappointment compared to Fallout 1 and 2

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#60  Edited By ArbitraryWater

I am in the Oblivion camp on this one. Maybe it was because I was 13 when it came out, or maybe because it was the game that sold me on the Xbox 360 (Yes, the Xbox. Because even back then I knew that there was no chance in hell of my parents ever buying a new computer), but for whatever reason I find oblivion to be a tighter experience than Fallout 3. I like them both, mind you, but there is far more stuff to do in Oblivion that doesn't involve scouring every single inch of the wasteland looking for a single quest. Yes, the complaints about it being generic are valid, but I enjoyed the sandbox "Anything goes" vibe that it gave. 

As for Morrowind... fuck that game. I have tried multiple, multiple times to get into it with very little success. Maybe walking around an empty world looking for quest objectives at a snail's pace only to get killed because you entered an area you weren't supposed to is your kind of thing, but it sure as hell isn't mine.

Knives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 9

#61  Edited By Knives
    @ArbitraryWater said:

" I am in the Oblivion camp on this one. Maybe it was because I was 13 when it came out, or maybe because it was the game that sold me on the Xbox 360 (Yes, the Xbox. Because even back then I knew that there was no chance in hell of my parents ever buying a new computer), but for whatever reason I find oblivion to be a tighter experience than Fallout 3. I like them both, mind you, but there is far more stuff to do in Oblivion that doesn't involve scouring every single inch of the wasteland looking for a single quest. Yes, the complaints about it being generic are valid, but I enjoyed the sandbox "Anything goes" vibe that it gave.   As for Morrowind... fuck that game. I have tried multiple, multiple times to get into it with very little success. Maybe walking around an empty world looking for quest objectives at a snail's pace only to get killed because you entered an area you weren't supposed to is your kind of thing, but it sure as hell isn't mine. "

Your loss. Unfortunately, the majority of people share your opinion. And Bethseda listened, dumbing down Oblivion to the point of being irrelevant. 
    Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#62  Edited By Coombs

No, Sorry but your wrong.
    Just my opinion but yeah,  Your wrong.

Fallout was just as good as Oblivion,
    The scenery I will give you but the rest was just as good.
    And as far as the scenery goes.... Well its a post apocalyptic wasteland
    What did you expect? Lush forests and Sci-fi style magical cities?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.