Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

Why the fuck am I a vampire?

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Ok, I started playing this game over a year ago and don't really remember the specifics of what happened.  I started playing it again, and for some reason, I turned into a god damn vampire. It seems I have to feed on people while they are sleeping, or else I die when I go outside during the day time.

Other than that dark brotherhood guy, I didn't even know vampires were a "thing" in this game.  What the fuck is going on? 

cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By cstrang

Welcome to one of the most frustrating things about that game.  While Vampirism comes with a few ups, they're drastically outweighed by the downs (not being able to do anything in the day being the biggest).  The quest to undo the Vampirism is a pain in the ass.  Good luck, duder.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By SeriouslyNow

Also you can get the Vampire sickness by fighting them.  You would've gotten a notice that you feel ill and you would've seen that you were poisoned.

ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By ez123

If you didn't chose it, you must have gotten it while fighting a vampire.  There is someone with a dialogue option Cure for Vampirism.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mordukai
    thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By thatfrood

are you playing this on pc? if it's pc then you can just use console commands to fix it.
    if I were to try and think of them... they'd probably resemble something like:
    set vampire to -1
    player.setfactionrank playervampire -1

and then you'd have to go through all of the vampirism spells, removing them by typing:  
    player.removespell (vampire spell here)

and you may have to remove your vampire stats as well.
    again, this would be done with the removespell command.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @SeriouslyNow said:
    " Also you can get the Vampire sickness by fighting them.  You would've gotten a notice that you feel ill and you would've seen that you were poisoned. "
    Yeah, this is probably what happened.  When I went to sleep It basically said "now your a vampire" (although I don't remember fighting any of them).  I think I would remember if I did a quest where I became a fucking vampire. 
    Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
    OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By OwnlyUzinWonHan

There was DLC that cost about $3 that had the ability to de-vampireize (Now a real word) yourself.
    Since I was lazy and had $3 lying around, I bought it.

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Mordukai said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL:  
    How to cure vampirism in Oblivion.  "

Um, I still think I'm not a "full" vampire.  I drank some dudes blood and I can go outside in the daytime.  That website said something about praying in a church...does that work?
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By CL60
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @Mordukai said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL:  

Um, I still think I'm not a "full" vampire.  I drank some dudes blood and I can go outside in the daytime.  That website said something about praying in a church...does that work? "
    if you can drink blood you're a full vampire. 

Going to the church only works when you just have the sickness before you actually turn.
    bubahula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By bubahula

you get it from fighting them but it is called something weird. if you dont cure it in a day it turns you into a vampire

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Bigandtasty

You have four options:

- Do longass normal quest to cure vampirism
    - Purchase Vile Lair DLC (150 MSP) and use the Font of Renewal located within (mine some vampirism-curing powder stuff off the nearby rocks)
    - Feed on people daily to avoid the bad effects of vampirism
    - Reload a pre-vampirism save

capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#14  Edited By capt_ventris

I stopped playing after I turned into a Vampire. 20 hours in and now I can only go out at certain times of the day. Lame.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By CL60
    @Capt_Ventris said:
    " I stopped playing after I turned into a Vampire. 20 hours in and now I can only go out at certain times of the day. Lame. "
    Feed on people and you can go out at any time.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mordukai
    @MAN_FLANNEL said:
    " @Mordukai said:

" @MAN_FLANNEL:  

Um, I still think I'm not a "full" vampire.  I drank some dudes blood and I can go outside in the daytime.  That website said something about praying in a church...does that work? "
    If you already drank blood then I've got one thing to say to you...I don't think so Tim...I mean Al. 
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Eh, must have gotten bitten before I stopped playing, because when I started playing tonight I was still normal.  If I just have to feed on people then I guess it isn't too bad.

I think I'm getting towards the end of the main questline...letting the gates in Bruma stay open to get some stone...how far away am I?

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @MAN_FLANNEL: You're pretty close to the end of the main quest. After closing the Great Gate, you do one long task, then one short task, and it's over.
    warp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By warp

I turned into a vampire without realizing it as well. Once I saw the quest required an inordinate amount of work to complete, I just decided to say "fuck it" and reloaded an old save. Luckily I had only lost about 3 hours of game time which is small potatoes in how long that game takes to complete and how long it probably wouldve taken to do that stupid cure quest anyway. And to hell with paying money just to solve an affliction like that. Almost as bad as horse armor.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By mordukai
    @Capt_Ventris said:

" I stopped playing after I turned into a Vampire. 20 hours in and now I can only go out at certain times of the day. Lame. "

Well it's your own fault for either saying yes to becoming a vampire or not checking yourself when you were fighting vampires. Don't blame the game for your mistakes. Pay attention when fighting, it tells you when you've contracted a disease and you can also check it in your stats menu. however, there is plus an minuses to being a vampire but if you want to get sured then there a bunch of ways to do it.   

@Bigandtasty said:

" You have four options:

- Do longass normal quest to cure vampirism
    - Purchase Vile Lair DLC (150 MSP) and use the Font of Renewal located within (mine some vampirism-curing powder stuff off the nearby rocks) - Feed on people daily to avoid the bad effects of vampirism- Reload a pre-vampirism save "

Really? The Vile Lair has a cure for vampirism? Did not know that. I avoided it as I had a vampirism experience in Morrowind so I stayed the fuck away from it on Oblivion...LOL 
    It also helped that I was playing as an Assassin so 99.8% of my fighting was actually done by me sneaking and backstabbing enemies or putting an arrow through their heads. I almost never fought hand to hand. 40 hours into the game I had 60+% invisibility so sneaking was very easy. By the time I finished me main quest I have slightly over 100% invisibility.  
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By captain_clayman

do you sparkle?

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @captain_clayman said:
    " do you sparkle? "
    awesome work!  Death to the Mormon Vampire Douches!!
    stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By stephengotlost

That has got to be one of the most punishing gameplay ramifications in any video game.

capt_ventris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#24  Edited By capt_ventris

I dont even sparkle

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By PureRok

I loved playing as a vampire. Going out in the sun doesn't hurt that bad, and I never drank anyone's blood. You get some great buffs if you don't feed.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#26  Edited By Hailinel

Don't make the mistake of feeding on Imperial guardsmen.  Not only do those assholes have psychic powers, they'll wake up and attempt to arrest you if you feed on them.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SeriouslyNow
    @PureRok said:
    " I loved playing as a vampire. Going out in the sun doesn't hurt that bad, and I never drank anyone's blood. You get some great buffs if you don't feed. "
    Rain hurts a lot though.
    MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL
    @Bigandtasty said:
    " @MAN_FLANNEL: You're pretty close to the end of the main quest. After closing the Great Gate, you do one long task, then one short task, and it's over. "
    I'm doing the "Defense of Bruma" quest before I have them leave the gates open because it is implied I need more troops for Bruma.  It seems I have to close an oblivion gate for each town to get them to help.  What happens if I only get one town to help?  I fucking hate closing oblivion gates and just want to finish the damn game. 
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @MAN_FLANNEL: You don't need to do the Allies for Bruma quest. If you close a town's gate and get them to send guards they only send like 1-2. Not much difference in the long run.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.