Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Game » consists of 30 releases. Released Nov 11, 2011

The fifth installment in Bethesda's Elder Scrolls franchise is set in the eponymous province of Skyrim, where the ancient threat of dragons, led by the sinister Alduin, is rising again to threaten all mortal races. Only the player, as the prophesied hero the Dovahkiin, can save the world from destruction.

Torn on using companions

• 61 results
    ztiworoh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By ztiworoh

So, I'm really torn on using companions in this game. I really appreciate the extra carrying capacity and an ally to help with crowd control. But I feel like I'm babysitting them half the time. They are always getting lost, or are trying to catch up when I run or setting off traps. Earlier, I was deep into a dungeon trying to fight off a skeletal dragon when I popped a flame cloak spell to ward off lesser enemies swarming me. My companion decides to keep standing in the area of my flame cloak, takes damage, interprets it as me attacking him and then turns on me!

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Afroman269

They're too much of a hassle to deal it.

McGhee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By McGhee

Lydia's only job is keeping my bed warm.

AndyD74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By AndyD74

If I ever find my companion, whom I lost many Skyrim days ago, I will slay him.

DaemonBlack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5  Edited By DaemonBlack

I'm kind of the same way. They really come in handy sometimes but I don't want to have to constantly worry if they are stuck or something or getting themselves into trouble. It really is like babysitting.

phampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By phampire

I was rolling with Lydia for a while with my mage and have yet to see my flame/lightning/frost cloaking hurt her. But I admit they can be a bit of a pain to manage (hopefully a mod will fix this), just constantly save and make good use of the "wait here" command. Attempting any stealth will see you dismissing your companion pretty quickly though.

NickLott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By NickLott

I've found Lydia pretty good at catching up eventually. If she's lost in the world because I took an odd route or she's in a loop of triggering a trap over and over again, I just move on and eventually she'll catch up.

Cathryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#8  Edited By Cathryn

Yeah, I found they were helpful at first, but I prefer to do my dungeon crawling by myself -- you get all the experience from your kills and don't have to worry about them getting in your way. Not to mention the fact that I really don't like seeing them die all that much :/

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't think they're much of a problem at all. I don't worry when they're too slow or get lost as they teleport to your location whenever you go through a door.

AndyD74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AndyD74

Soapy, I wish that were always the case. I've been waiting for Erik the Slayer to show up now for several days. I didn't tell him to wait anywhere, and haven't received any messages that he's dead. I hoped he went back home to Rorikstead, but no such luck. He hasn't shown up at my house in Whiterun either. :(

Avatar image for a_cute_squirtle
    A_Cute_Squirtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By A_Cute_Squirtle

I've never played a moment of this game without a companion. It's fucking great when you're a wizard (harry) and you can't carry a ton of stuff.

BC_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By BC_

Followers can be insanely frustrating, but I find having a mule that can occasionally fight is indispensable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

They're great in the early game, but a hassle later on. At this point, I'm not worried about gold, so I don't pick much up, plus my carry capacity is almost 600 so I can carry everything by myself. They're decent in combat, but the only creatures that takes more than a couple arrows now are dragons, and even those fights don't last too long. I found it liberating to tell Lydia and Meeko to go home, and the first thing I did was climb up a mountain off the beaten path and it felt so good not wondering if they would be able to keep up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AndyD74 said:

Soapy, I wish that were always the case. I've been waiting for Erik the Slayer to show up now for several days. I didn't tell him to wait anywhere, and haven't received any messages that he's dead. I hoped he went back home to Rorikstead, but no such luck. He hasn't shown up at my house in Whiterun either. :(

I'm sorry to say that must be a bug as I've never had that problem. Any situation where I have to go through a loading screen, be it fast travel, entering a city, a different part of a dungeon, etc. my companion is there waiting for me on the other side.

mortface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mortface

I thought the companion kinda broke immersion into the storyline somewhat, when everyone is talking about how special and important the dragonborn is they never acknowledge the girl with the creepy stare that's always following you around. I'm not expecting them to have recorded dialogue for every possible different companion, but just saying I think it's best to experience the storyline without a companion.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By John1912

I really dont have a problem with them. That spell cloak sounds fucked (never really used). I use my companions all the time. Guess my play style works well with them. I take Cicero as he at least has a personality and some funny things to say.

poisonmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By poisonmonkey

If you marry one of the followers when you buy the Amulet of Mara (like Lydia, I use and married Mjoll the lioness from Riften who seems to have a bigger carrying capacity ) they start a shop which can be accessed from the speak to menu at any time (even in a dungeon), this can be very useful to sell items on the fly (they can still just carry stuff for you as well), also they can give you a share of any money the shop has made as time goes by if you ask them. So to answer the question I would have a companion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6418ef3727cdd
    deactivated-6418ef3727cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

They are completely useless for mage characters. Not being able to use AoE spells (1-2 fireballs and they are dead) instantly makes them worthless. Combined with the fact that high lvl conjuration summons can be more powerful than a fully equipped companion....

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By mike

I had the same problem with flame cloak. The next problem I had was my idiot companion not staying out of the way so I could use any spells or my bow. Way too much of a hassle to deal with, the only time I ever have a companion with me is during quests that require them. 

Merricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Merricks

My character is a pacifist so Lydia is indispensable.

I just smith her fully upgraded heavy Armor and weapon with dual enchantments on it and let her and the atronachs do the fighting while I find a rock to hide behind.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#21  Edited By alistercat

I settled for turning them essential with the console. Might be cheating, but they still go down. I just don't lose them forever.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#22  Edited By AhmadMetallic

I'm an archer. I met Faendal the archer in Riverwood 1 hour in. I'm 40 hours in now, he's still my trusty companion, always helping in combat, he & I shooting fools together from a far, and carrying shit for me.

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Tennmuerti

They are too much trouble to be of much use in combat unless you are a mage just starting out or something.
    Their only other good quality is pack mules. And since I'm playing on PC modding my carryweight is usually the first thing I do anyway.

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Clonedzero

i used Lydia a bit at the beginning of the game, she was helpful for awhile. but eventually she got in the way more often than not. messing up my sneaking. ect. i dont loot everything i see like most people, so i VERY RARELY have carry issues, so thats not part of it. like i never loot armor unless im going to use it since its heavy, i dont loot alot of weapons either. mostly potions, scrolls, gems, rings, ect. i'm always flowing in cash too. i dont understand how people have weight issues.

im currently level 18 and lydia and that manish looking chick in the whiterun bar are the only two followers ive found (oh and that woodelf in riverwood). well aside from the mercenaries you have to hire. i think i can get a catdude warrior to come be my buddy if i get hsi amulet back from bandits, but im not sure. i'll dot hat later today and see if i like him more than lyida.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BonOrbitz

I find Lydia useful only as a pack mule, but that's going to end when someone eventually releases a mod that allows me to use my horse to carry extra weight. As soon as that happens, my use of companions ends. I'm tired of the shitty AI.

SpawnMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By SpawnMan

In every single gaddam game I've had (from Half-life 2, to Halo, to The Elder Scrolls and beyond) I can never relax when I have followers!! I care so much about them that I must constantly watch over them and babysit their every move. That said, the followers in Skyrim don't seem to be as bad as other games'.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Eurobum

There is always the shrine of Boethia, if it gets too annoying.

Having said that I think they are great, once I figured out that I can sent the Huscarl home at any time, and try a different one. They also cannot die unless you shoot them by accident, or if they happen to fall of a tall structure. If they turn on you just sheathe your weapon, and it's all good.

It also opens a lot of tactical options, if you go melee then a ranged mage companion is your best bet, if you are ranged or stealthy then having a tank as a constant diversion is just awesome.

Robo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Robo
    @AlisterCat I did too. Got sick of reloading because I accidentally hit them when they got downed in my way.

I stopped using them completely after I found the steed stone and now that I'm swimming in more gold than I even need and have little reason to carry a bunch of crap.
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Jimbo

Rolling with Mjoll the Lioness at the moment. She has a cool name and is way less menstrual than Lydia.

alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#30  Edited By alistercat

@Jimbo said:

Rolling with Mjoll the Lioness at the moment. She has a cool name and is way less menstrual than Lydia.

Same. She is actually happy to carry stuff for you.

@Robo said:

@AlisterCat I did too. Got sick of reloading because I accidentally hit them when they got downed in my way. I stopped using them completely after I found the steed stone and now that I'm swimming in more gold than I even need and have little reason to carry a bunch of crap.

I have over 500,000 gold and I still have to pick up every single thing. I can carry over 600 in weight and I still get over encumbered.

VooDooPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By VooDooPC

I stopped using Lydia when I got my first spells that had splash damage. I went conjuration and destruction. Having Lydia, a summon, and doing area of effect or splash damage became a bit of a problem.

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Slaker117

R'kjir the Lonely is not called that without reason.

Klei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Klei

Followers are useless in this game. They serve absolutely no purpose. Also, why use them as mules? If they die, you're so screwed. Just learn to carry less and drop the extra in a house / shack.
    Tesla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Tesla

I like having a companion, but then again Lydia just fell in combat and I find myself enjoying the solitude.

Variety is the spice of life, even in Skyrim.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By plaintomato

You get plenty of playtime with temporary companions by questing. I don't see a reason to use them all the time. Unless this:

@Merricks said:

My character is a pacifist so Lydia is indispensable. I just smith her fully upgraded heavy Armor and weapon with dual enchantments on it and let her and the atronachs do the fighting while I find a rock to hide behind.

Which could be an interesting playstyle...but for most people who want to just play the game...nah. I killed Lydia so I could "keep" her in my house and still pick up another follower (for "free" training), but then I never bothered since the money for training isn't really much of a hassle.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By 234r2we232

Companions? You mean like werewolves? :P

heghmohqib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By heghmohqib

My brother had a great idea. Give your companion all your empty soul gems and a weapon with soul trap. Your companion will become your own little soul gem filling machine.

fripplebubby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By fripplebubby

I used companions for 50+ hours, but I think I'm done with them now. They get detected a lot easier than I do, and I even recruited the one who claimed she was sneaky...

Amukasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Amukasa

Lydia dead.......day all ded....

Raidy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Raidy

I used a companion for the first 70+hrs I played, including to past the point when I finished the MQ. I just liked having a homie tag along I guess. I only recently dismissed while I am doing the DB quests which require more simple & stealthy single kills.

For those having problems with a follower getting blasted by their own spells, I'd recommend getting one that is naturally ranged (Aela for example) and taking their melee weapons. For me that worked perfectly, she'll never run in to melee and only shoot the bow. She gets kinda gimp up close, but it doesnt matter as the situation rarely happens, and I've never had a follower die by NPC hands.

Avatar image for tim_the_corsair
    tim_the_corsair

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By tim_the_corsair

I've found Uthgerdt to be a useful tank for my Necromancer in the early game, but now I'm starting to get some good defensive wards and highly powerful, aoe offensive spells, she's turning into a liability and I might need to cut her loose considering I keep one-shotting her in the back.

And by cut her loose, I mean murder her and raise her as a zombie. Hey Lydia, you're next!

the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#42  Edited By the8bitNacho

@AndyD74 said:

If I ever find my companion, whom I lost many Skyrim days ago, I will slay him.

This. This so hard.

jaius3pt0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By jaius3pt0

Every single time I took a companion into a dungeon with me they died. Usually when I'm throwing fireballs at an enemy they were too close to. Got me suspended from the Mage College twice after I was already the ArchMage. lol

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By MysteriousBob

Eh, I'm a lone wolf.

pr0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By pr0p

I go it alone. Maybe I'm dating myself, but I don't care for AI followers. Usually AI has some quirks, and carting around a giant pile of quirks tends to ruin my immersion (wah). An alternate way to deal with being encumbered could be to take a horse around with you, as you can fast travel while riding them no matter what you are carrying.

Osaladin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Osaladin

I sneak all the time, so I don't like to rely on companions. I don't even know how to sex people up.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Turambar

Mijoll the Lioness is immortal. Not in the "take a knee and enemies will ignore you" sense, but she won't die ever even if you attack her sense. Cicero on the other hand has some great dialogues, so take your pick.

Parabola03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Parabola03

Lydia died fairly early in my game and I haven't used an optional companion since. They can definitely be helpful, but that seems to be outweighed by the many annoyances they cause.

JudgeDread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JudgeDread

good as mules, and almost as smart as mules as well...

Skald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 7

#50  Edited By Skald

Whatever. I can summon two Storm Thralls now. They're so much better than meat people.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.