Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Late to the party but this game kinda sucks.

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

@zevvion: That's pretty dead on. A lot of the pre release hype made it sound like a game where killing is a choice the player makes and will have real consequences with the characters so that was also a big part of why I dropped off. However, that was when the game came out. I recently downloaded the remastered PS4 edition and fired it. Maybe now I'll have better appreciation for it. I hear the DLC for it is not bad either.

MethodMan008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

This certainly isn't a helpful post, but I think you are the first person I have seen complain about the games difficulty. I thought it was mad easy.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By htr10

Troll thread made by a user with a new account specifically made for this purpose, no?

This thread reminds me of how once a guy posted negatively about Super Mario Bros. on YouTube just to see if people would bite (and they always do)

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I haven't played it yet but it will probably dissapoint because so many people told me it's great.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@mordukai said:

@zevvion: That's pretty dead on. A lot of the pre release hype made it sound like a game where killing is a choice the player makes and will have real consequences with the characters so that was also a big part of why I dropped off. However, that was when the game came out. I recently downloaded the remastered PS4 edition and fired it. Maybe now I'll have better appreciation for it. I hear the DLC for it is not bad either.

While I'm guilty of it myself sometimes, it's probably not good to judge a game based on what you think it is/want it to be, and instead judge it based on its merits. Games like Destiny have been hated for the same reason. The Last of Us is extremely good I would say. I disliked Uncharted and when I knew Naughty Dog was making it I was skeptical. When the praise hit, I felt it might be Uncharted-like in that I wouldn't get the praise at all. I was completely ready to dislike The Last of Us and it just didn't happen despite some of the flaws we discussed.

The game doesn't give you choice. It's not a game about choice. It's a story driven game. You kill, that's what Joel does, that's what happens. I think the game completely messed up because it had the foresight to know stealth is terribly tedious if you do not know when enemies approach and you need to assume sneaking position, adding in simple lines of dialogue like 'Quiet! I hear people!' and after that giving you time to get sneaking. But then it doesn't do something similar for when a design block prevents you from proceeding unless you kill everything in the room and stealth doesn't work. It would have totally benefited from a 'There's no way way we're getting passed these guys undetected, we're going to have to take every single one out!' line. But aside from stuff like that, that game is fantastic. The gameplay is actually really good for what it is. The scavenging makes sense, works well and gives good diversity in between exploring and stealth/action sequences. The world building is second to none. Characters are very well written and that story is real good.

The Last of Us is one of those games I play once every so many years. It's the very definition of a classic.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OP, I was totally in your shoes at one point in the game. I will say that after a particular plot moment I was in 100%.

If you continue on, I hope the moment does that same thing for you as it did for me.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@zevvion said:

The Last of Us is one of those games I play once every so many years. It's the very definition of a classic.

I have 2 yearly classics I play. Thief 2, and Planescape: Torment.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#108  Edited By geirr

Oh shit! His astute, in-depth observations are correct!

I'll adjust my expectations for LoU2 from here on out.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

OP here. Finished the game. Real disappointment but again, I spent the $20 so I had to see it through. Combat and stealth mechanics were a wash from beginning to end. Story was the best part even it was full of Hollywood cliches. Spent five minutes on the tacked-on multiplayer. Total FPS COD wanna-be BS as most tacked on multi-player features are.

Hands-down the most disturbing part of this game is what happens at Todd's Steak House and if you screw up at any point during "Left Behind" (which I tried to slog my way through). Look, even for a horror-style game, this continuous stream of pre-teen snuff is absolutely barbaric. Had I known this is what was up, NaughtyDog would never have been given my money. And I'll make sure they never are again. Disgusting. Fuck everything about this game.

As I've said elsewhere in this thread, you have a very bizarre way of describing things. That said, I found the multiplayer to be far more derivative of SOCOM II than anything first-person shooter related, least of all the beakneck pace of Call of Duty.

GaspoweR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#110  Edited By GaspoweR

I just thought with the way the poster talks about it despite people giving helpful tips and being generally patient but still the OP remains set on what he thinks and continues to describe the game with the way he describes it, I don't think there was ever any way to convince the OP otherwise.

Also considering that the OP already finished it and has come to conclusion that he won't ever be buying another Naughty Dog game (I just think that he might just be posting to irk people at this point with the way he talks, I'm not sure) I think it's safe to lock this thread at some point so it doesn't get too off topic.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#111 sweep  Moderator

This thread lasted 14 days. That's 14 days longer than it deserved.

@tonyrohrbough: If you're going to openly criticise a popular game that's been widely praised as one of the best games made in recent years by both media and consumers, and do so without providing any depth or detail to your criticisms, then completely disregard the reasonable and patient counter-arguments that are made in response; that is the very definition of trolling.

Do not do that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.