Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

The first HD installment of the Zelda series developed for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch that returns to the open-world design of the original NES title, with a focus on free exploration of a large scale environment as well as dangerous enemies.

Question about Wii U version related to game freezes.

catoasapun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By catoasapun

I've been playing the game on Wii U and for the most part performance has been fine; some FPS drops in a few areas but mostly fine. What IS worrying me is every now and then I will fight Moblins in certain areas and the game will completely freeze up and scare me because I've had this Wii U since 2014 and it was a refurbished console and the last thing I want is the entire console dying on me before I finish that last great game I'll be playing on it.

I'm just wondering if the same thing has been happening to other people and if there's nothing to worry about. The specific areas I remember it happening were a Moblin close to Great Plateau (can't remember exact area), a few moblins down a path to some rock sirloin for a goron side quest on Death Mountain, and Moblins at a camp near the snow mountain near Rito village (can't remember the name of the mountain). most moblins i run into in other areas are fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa
    deactivated-63d5c454eb6aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Moblins are the real tall dudes, right? I've had some real slow down (single digit FPS) when they've died on occasion but no total freeze up.

NeverGameOver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By NeverGameOver

I haven't had any games freezes on the Wii U. I'm about 100 hours in. It's a newish console though.

eternalshades

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By eternalshades

I played the game on the Wii U and I've had the same happen when fighting Moblins in some locations. Sometimes the game just freezes up for a second or two when Moblins goes down (gets worse if multiple moblins go down at the same time). Thankfully it never crashes.

I don't think it's a problem with your Wii U, it's just the game acting up.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I also get this issue. It's not a permanent lock, but it IS always against those moblins and it'll completely halt for 4-5 seconds.

My Wii U is also from 2014, and I barely (and I mean *barely*) used it before the release of Zelda.

The Wii U version of this game kinda sucks, but it's better than not playing it I guess!

catoasapun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By catoasapun

Moblins are the real tall dudes, right? I've had some real slow down (single digit FPS) when they've died on occasion but no total freeze up.

yea i get bad FPS around them sometimes too but that doesnt worry me as much cause im used the bad fps.

catoasapun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played the game on the Wii U and I've had the same happen when fighting Moblins in some locations. Sometimes the game just freezes up for a second or two when Moblins goes down (gets worse if multiple moblins go down at the same time). Thankfully it never crashes.

I don't think it's a problem with your Wii U, it's just the game acting up.

that's good to hear. i hesitated buying the game for Wii U mainly because I was worried the system might be on its last legs but im probably over 100 hours into the game and i figure if it hasnt died now it probably wont.

dr_monocle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, this has happened to me a few times.

I can't remember if it's always with Moblins but it's mostly when I strike the killing blow; right before they die the game will just stop for a second and then continue.

I thought I had read something about it happening to a few other people a couple of weeks after the game came out so I wasn't too worried about it. Additionally my Wii U has never really acted up before (I've had it for 3 years maybe?).

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

The only time it ever actually froze up for me was on Death Mountain fighting (something, it might have been a Moblin). Everything went into single digits and then stopped completely for a good 15 seconds or so. I wouldn't be too worried about it.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I've also had it freeze up for a second or two when I cause Moblins to ragdoll.

Avatar image for octopusrocketmark
    Octopusrocketmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's happened to me on Switch too. Don't worry about it.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When a Moblin or Lizalfos ragdolls near other Moblins and Lizalfos, I also have crazy near-freezes for a couple seconds on Wii U.

zombievac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game always has had a minor freeze when killing some enemies, usually Moblins, since release - on Switch, it's much more often when in docked (TV) mode. THe latest patch improved FPS overall but made that particular bug worse or more common. But I've only have one full crash in the Switch version over ~80 hours of play.

catoasapun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks for the responses its good to know this is happening on both Wii U and Switch. Makes me feel better about the conditions of my Wii U!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.