Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask

Game » consists of 21 releases. Released Apr 27, 2000

The follow-up to Ocarina of Time sees the series stalwart Link embark on a journey to save the land of Termina from being crushed by the moon in three days. To defeat the Skull Kid, Link has to live the same three days over and over again.

Cell-Shaded Remake

Happy_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Happy_Cloud

I think of all the Zelda titles Majora's Mask has the most potential for a remake. Obviously it's too soon after the game's release, but as great as the game was I just think it left so much potential to be better. For instance, I think a cell-shaded remake would fit the game like a glove; it would suit the style of the far better than Wind Waker's visuals did. Obviously I don't mean to lighten up the tone, but Majora's Mask has always alienated the player with strange and nonsensical ideas - like Majora's incarnation - that would be so much stranger cell shaded. I think this style would really make Termina look more abstract and creepy while still keeping its look very dark and ominous. It would also allow the creators to inject so much more expression and personality to the characters which is a central part of the game. Who else thinks this game was designed to be cell-shaded?

Termite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2  Edited By Termite

Yeah, that would work. But I want them to make a real Zelda game first

tec3297

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By tec3297

I would love to see this game on the Virtual Console, but a remake wouldn't be bad at all.  Remakes of good games never are.

comedy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By comedy

I don't think this would ever happen but if so, it would be grand.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mourne

Twilight Princess didn't really hit the spot for me, honestly, so I'm up for anything. Phantom Hourglass was amazing, so I'm more excited about another DS title than anything.

With that said, I have to say that Majora's Mask was never one of my favorites, and I've actually always considered it to be the weakest of the mainstream titles. It's a good game and you probably are right that it has a lot of potential for a remake (in my opinion, it really needs it). I really liked the time mechanic in the game, but it seemed to disallow true adventure (like that found in Ocarina of Time) more so than the others.

Happy_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Happy_Cloud

It's true, Majora's Mask wasn't as good as it could've been, but as it stands it's my personal favourite, and I think that were it remade as a cell-shaded and generally improved title I could die happy, although that'll obviously never happen.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By epic_pets

yea good idea

Luke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By Luke

Amazing thread.

If Nintendo wanted to make a crap-load of money, they would do this ASAP!

gameshark5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By gameshark5

it could make for a good Wiiware title

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By SSbabel

If they did that they would have to increase the map size for more exploration.

uncle_andross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By uncle_andross

I'd rather see a sequel to this game.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Endogene

FUCK for a second i was thinking that a cell shaded remake was announced....

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I agree. I think Majora's Mask could look totally amazing in a cel-shaded style. I'm not one who usually supports the idea of game remakes, but this is one I wouldn't mind seeing.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

Wow, and I remember when people talked shit because Wind Waker was cel-shaded and looked kiddie.  What the hell?  lol

I'm 100%...no...1000% in agreeance that Majora's Mask needs to be updated graphically and cel-shaded!  Honestly, I still think MM was the best of the entire series.  I hated Ocarina.  Don't know why, just couldn't get into it.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By Arkthemaniac

No remakes! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Seriously, though, Nintendo recycles enough. They don't need to recycle entire games.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    jakob187 said:
    "Wow, and I remember when people talked shit because Wind Waker was cel-shaded and looked kiddie.  What the hell?  lol
    I'm 100%...no...1000% in agreeance that Majora's Mask needs to be updated graphically and cel-shaded!  Honestly, I still think MM was the best of the entire series.  I hated Ocarina.  Don't know why, just couldn't get into it.
    "
    Hahaha, yeah, good point. Still I know multiple people who refuse to play Wind Waker because of the cel-shaded graphics. In fact, I would say the majority of gamers I know didn't play it just because of the graphics. That's so pathetic. Anyway, Wind Waker was excellent, and the graphics were artistic and beautiful.
    YellowChu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By YellowChu

I really don't think that Majora's Mask would be as good in cel-shaded graphics, I liked the game's style for the most part. If anything, I would like to see it re-made in Twilight Princess/realistic looking style. Or not re-made at all.

AkumaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By AkumaX

Ancient bump, but you have a point. Running with nicer graphics at 60 fps and a save system that doesn't make me want to fling the cartridge into Mount Doom would be awesome. It would have to be a total redesign though, bigger environments, improved dungeons, but retaining the same look and feel.

Actually, I'd love to see a totally remade from scratch Ocarina of TIme using the power of the 360 or PS3, but obviously we'll have to wait for the next gen Nintendo hardware for that.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By brukaoru
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "No remakes! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!
    Seriously, though, Nintendo recycles enough. They don't need to recycle entire games."
    Agreed. A virtual console release, certainly, but remaking the game is pretty silly in my opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.