Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Simpsons

Franchise »

Featuring many of the characters and locations seen in the TV show, the Simpsons games have made use of a variety of genres for over 15 years.

My ranking of nearly every Simpsons game from Best to Worst

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

In honor of every episode of The Simpsons being available to stream legally, I thought I would share my list of favorite to least favorite Simpsons game. My hobby/sickness is to play and collect Simpson games so this is a pretty thorough and nearly complete list. Unfortunately I have not played Bart and the Beanstalk, Itchy and Scratchy Mini Golf, Virtual Springfield, and several of the mobile phone games. I'm going to go out on a limb and say they suck.

List of Best to Worst Simpsons Game

1. The Simpsons Pinball Party
    Easily one of my favorite pinball tables and up there with classics like The Addams Family and Twilight Zone. The table is loaded with all sorts of cool gimmicks and has a fairly forgiving dead zone.
    2. The Simpsons Game
    I picked this up at a Target for $10 and was surprised at how fun it was. A good platformer with some funny jokes and cool cameos.
    3. The Simpsons Arcade Game
    A mediocre quarter stealing beat'em up. It gets extra credit for the weird story involving Waylon Smithers straight up kidnapping Maggie and references to Matt Groening's comic strip Life in Hell.
    4. The Simpsons: Hit & Run
    GTA:Springfield only no guns and all driving missions.
    5. Krusty's Fun House
    The best of the Acclaim Simpsons games. Krusty's Fun House is an okay mix of puzzle solving and platforming.
    6. The Simpsons
    As far as pinball tables go this is pretty bland but not horrible.
    7. The Simpsons Bowling
    You ever play an arcade bowling game before? There all pretty much the same but this one is Simpsons themed.
    8. Futurama
    I only added this because there is supposedly going to be a Simpsons/Futurama (God Dammit! Don't taint Futurama) crossover this upcoming season. Anyway this game is hard to find and not that great. The real reason to play is the cutscenes written by show co-creator David X. Cohen, which are a bonus feature on one of Futurama DTV movies.
    9. The Simpsons: Road Rage
    A blatant Crazy Taxi clone that is a bit lacking.
    10. The Simpsons: Night of The Living Treehouse of Horror
    A forgettable platformer that is barely okay. I think this is the only Simpsons game made for the Game Boy Color. Everything after this is varying degrees of shit.
    11. The Simpsons: Bart vs. the World
    The best of the Bart-centric games but that is damning with faint praise. Be prepared to be frustrated by the Great Wall of China level.
    12. The Simpsons: Bart's House of Weirdness
    Released only on DOS and hard as hell to find. I will say the game looks pretty but it is really hard, the controls are janky, and it just isn't that fun. The gameplay is kinda similar to the Genesis Beavis and Butt-Head game.
    13. Bart Simpson's Escape from Camp Deadly
    The easiest of the Acclaim Simpsons games which are notoriously hard. I believe this is the first Game Boy exclusive Simpsons game.
    14. The Simpsons: Bart's Nightmare
    A neat concept for a game and it looked pretty for the time. Just be prepared to wander the streets of Springfield not knowing what the hell is going on or what to do.
    15. Virtual Bart
    A collection of terrible games that are insanely difficult. I swear this game makes Battletoads seem easy. Turbo Tunnels have nothing on the Baby Bart levels.
    16. The Simpsons Skateboarding
    One of the many awful skateboarding games trying to leach off the success of Tony Hawk.
    17. The Itchy & Scratchy Game
    I think they were trying to make a 16-bit version of the Spy vs. Spy game but they failed miserable.
    18. The Simpsons: Bart vs. the Space Mutants
    The game that started it all and there isn't anything I can add about how awful it is that hasn't been said before. I will say it has some interesting ideas and a bit of that so bad it's good charm.
    19. The Simpsons: Bartman Meets Radioactive Man
    The last of the NES Simpsons games and by far the hardest and the worst.
    20. The Simpsons Wrestling
    If any franchise could support a fighting game it is The Simpsons. Unfortunately we get a "wrestling game" with about as much depth as the old NES WWF Wrestlemania.
    21. The Simpsons: Bart vs. the Juggernauts
    This is nothing more than a collection of mini games with awful controls and no 2-Player mode.
    22. The Simpsons: Tapped Out
    I don't even think this should qualify as a game as it is one of those wait for bars to fill up or pay us type deals. Just like every other free-to-play phone game it is nothing more than a shameless cash grab with no actual gameplay.
    csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Those 90's games came during an era where I didn't care what the game was, just the fact that Bart was in it. I tried a few for 5 or so minutes, but stopped before my nostalgia was ruined. The arcade game is still fun from time to time, but nowhere near as amazing as when my grammar school did its annual roller-skating party. We'd just spend most of the night trading off until someone finally beat it.

As far as The Simpson game, I really loved it. Played the demo with the Donut man and thought the music was amazing. The full game was just fun and varied and some of the funniest stuff those characters did in a decade. Not perfect by any means, but I have fond memories of it. Granted, I had fond memories of Virtual Bart...

Hit-and-Run, now that's the one I always wanted to jump into.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

I remember adoring Simpsons Wrestling way back when. Always enjoyed playing as Groundskeeper Willie the most, dropping bear traps everywhere and shit. Hit and Run was a lot of fun, too. Loved all of the costumes and unlockable vehicles and stuff. Kinda random why Apu fills in as a fifth playable character. Think those two are actually the only Simpsons games I've ever played.

StrawHat_NPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I have played most of these as well. My favorite is hit and run but I've never played the Simpson game. Is it worth picking up now?

Also, unfortunately I did play bart and the beanstalk when I was a kid. I don't think I ever made it past the first level. It was awful.

Virtual Springfield was great but it was my first pc game along with Lego island so that could all be nostalgia.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
    deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I very vaguely remember renting the Itchy and Scratchy game as a kid, and my brother and I would play it together. I couldn't even really tell you what it was about honestly. I also remember renting the Bart's Nightmare one, but I can remember that one much more clearly, you need to go around collecting Bart's homework, and you'd have to play mini games each time you pick up a page. I remember we couldn't get Bart's grade above a D no matter what, since most of those mini-games were really hard!

That arcade beat-em-up game I do remember, me and my brothers would play that one together a lot too at the local arcade, and of course the Crazy Taxi clone, I remember that one REALLY well. It's pretty fun for a half hour just to hear all the dialogue of the various characters, but after that it's just kind of bland like you said.

Haha, man, this was quite a trip down memory lane, thank you.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

This brings me back to an asian market stall when I was around 8 or 9, in the middle of Dandenong markets in Melbourne. I used to buy lots of discs (mostly pirated I am sure) from these people for almost nothing, I remember getting the full version of doom 2 for 5 bucks.

Anyway, on this fated day I noticed 2 games that aren't on your list, I can't remember names and sure as hell can't find them anywhere mentioned anymore. One was a Simpsons movie maker, another being some random DOS trivia Simpsons game. Don't feel too surprised, I remember them both being terrible, just terrible.

Avatar image for usernameandemail
    Usernameandemail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks like you might have a few more games to play yet: http://www.snpp.com/guides/games.html

@dark: I remember that Simpson's Trivia game! So its at least a share hallucination at this point.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

No Virtual Springfield. Tsk Tsk.

The Simpsons game is a terrible game. It's one of the first games in my mind where they made fun of bad mechanics by having bad mechanics. The writing was good, but the game and mechanics were sub par. The only reason to play it is because it's a new Simpsons story (and a decent one at that). Much like the Futurama game, only fans of the Simpsons should play it- it's really bad as a game.

Really the only good Simpsons game ever made was Simpsons Hit and Run. That was a great game- for a GTA clone.

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By MocBucket62

Impressed with the list you made. On that list, I'll rank my favorite Simpson games I've played from first to worst.

1. Hit and Run
    2. Simpsons Bowling (I dug the game in the arcade)
    3. Simpsons Arcade
    4. Road Rage
    5. Night of the Living Treehouse Horror

Hit and Run is a pretty solid yet more mild clone of GTA. I've went back to that game and I'll admit, the platforming is sometimes iffy and that overhead multiplayer feature doesn't feel fleshed out, but overall the single player is really fun and its amusing to try to unlock all the costumes and vehicles from the Simpsons lore as possible. Fun fact: The same developers behind Hit and Run also developed Mario is Missing.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, Game Informer just posted a video on Hit & Run today. It looks quite good, after all. Seems pretty charming.

Loading Video...

I mean, there's the solid gold house with a rocket car.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not familiar enough with most of these games so ill just rank the seasons:

1. 1-9

2. rest

stop stop the show's already dead :(

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
    deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

No Virtual Springfield. Tsk Tsk.

The Simpsons game is a terrible game. It's one of the first games in my mind where they made fun of bad mechanics by having bad mechanics. The writing was good, but the game and mechanics were sub par. The only reason to play it is because it's a new Simpsons story (and a decent one at that). Much like the Futurama game, only fans of the Simpsons should play it- it's really bad as a game.

Really the only good Simpsons game ever made was Simpsons Hit and Run. That was a great game- for a GTA clone.

If I had paid full price for The Simpsons Game I would have been much more harsh on it. Like I said I paid $10 and was expecting complete garage so I was surprised that it was competent. I agree that making fun of bad game mechanics by including said game mechanics is really stupid.

I just wasn't that impressed by The Simpsons: Hit and Run because there wasn't really any mission variety or on foot sections. I enjoyed the numerous vehicles pulled from the show including the Honor Roller and The Homer.

Has anyone else played Simpsons Pinball Party? I am not lying when I say it is an awesome table. I seriously almost bought one in rough shape for $1100 but the repair and maintenance cost would have been ridiculously high.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By cornbredx

@bartok: Sorry, for some reason the site didn't tell me you replied.

About Simpsons Hit and Run: good point. I played it a long time ago and vaguely remember it being a competent GTA clone, but I don't remember much else. I do still own the game, but someone stole my first disc (I have it on PC) so I haven't been able to play it since- so I never got to finish it. I do remember really liking it, though. Being that most Simpsons games aren't fun to play I feel it stood out the most.

I did play the Pinball table, but it was a long time ago and Pinball being something I could only play at an arcade my memory of most Pinball tables is spotty. I do remember liking the Simpsons pinball table, but I don't remember much about it.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Hit & Run was the best one I ever played. I still like Bart's Nightmare a lot too.

I barely remember anything else other than the Arcade Game and I don't remember that very well.

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hit and Run > All

KaneRobot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 9

#16  Edited By KaneRobot

I liked Road Rage ok. I had no illusions about what it was, but it had more character variants than Crazy Taxi, and some of the dialog was legitimately funny. If collision detection had been better (hit a lot of invisible corners/barries) this would probably be at least a bit more well respected. As well respected as a blatant rip off can be, anyway.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#17  Edited By Giantstalker

@kanerobot said:

I liked Road Rage ok. I had no illusions about what it was, but it had more character variants than Crazy Taxi, and some of the dialog was legitimately funny. If collision detection had been better (hit a lot of invisible corners/barries) this would probably be at least a bit more well respected. As well respected as a blatant rip off can be, anyway.

Gonna second this, I played maybe half the games on the list and that is probably the only one which left a favorable impression. I actually liked it more than the original Crazy Taxi, though the framerate was way worse.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I trying to figure out why I couldn't recognize one of the few Simpsons games I played as a kid before 2001's Simpsons Wrestling and I finally realized its because I was thinking of Bart vs. The Space Mutants on the Game Gear, which is a different beast to its NES counterpart. I don't remember ever getting past the early parts of it. What a piece of garbage. Set up a poor level of quality expectation for an early aspiring gamer. Alot of Game gear games did that to me actually, Batman Returns will forever live in notoriety in my mind.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Hit and Run was the shit. I used to play that all the time with the crazy cheat codes.

I didn't really care for the Simpson's Game, though that might be because I was stuck with the PS2 version.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

HIt and Run is among my favourite games ever. Very few licensed games capture the spirit of their given franchise as well as that one does. Super duper fun, especially considering I'm a huge Simpsons fan.

Dark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@talibanchic: Whelp ... Simpsons Cartoon Studio, there it is. I am still unsure if I should thank your or not.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By crithon

that pinball is at a bar beside me.... I might give it a spin.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

The Simpsons Game and Hit & Run are the only 2 I like, the rest are bad to average and not really fun.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ctrl + F 'Virtual Springfield' 0 of 0 :(

I played the shit out of Virtual Springfield as a kid. 'Played' may be a subjective term as it's more like Google Street View: Springfield Edition with some limited interactivity but as a kid who was way into The Simpsons at the time it was pretty fun to delve in and check out all the references and call backs to episodes.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

You put Hit and Run at 4? Hit and Run is amazing!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.