Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Walking Dead

Game » consists of 41 releases. Released Nov 21, 2012

Presenting an original story in the same franchise as the comic book series of the same name, The Walking Dead is a five-part adventure game from Telltale that follows the story of a convicted murderer, his guardianship over a young girl, and his co-operation with a roaming group of survivors in a zombie apocalypse.

All I Want To Do is Play Ep. 5

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By colourful_hippie

But I can't. The game just won't fucking run. No matter how many times I launch from Steam or from the folder in steamapps. It just won't work. I have no idea what the problem is. I tried compatibility troubleshooting, verifying the file integrity, and moving the files around and back to let Steam reinstall them. I don't think there's any point in deleting everything and redownloading because the same problem will happen but I've been scared of doing that because I don't know if I'll lose my save data. There can't be something wrong with the previous episodes because everything ran fine but in some cruel twist of fate I'm about to cry because I can't play the fucking episode instead of being on the verge tears after finishing the game.

GODDAMN IT!!

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By colourful_hippie

Can someone flag one of these? Didn't mean to double post.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JasonR86

@Colourful_Hippie:

Done.

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Hitchenson

Dumb question, but you've restarted Steam/your PC? Now that the obvious is out of the way.

Documents > Telltale Games > The Walking Dead

Copy that folder somewhere if you wanted to be extra sure you won't lose your saves and try deleting/redownloading the game. I'm pretty sure deleting the game from Steam wouldn't delete your saves, but better safe than sorry.

Sucks you can't play it mang, it's fucking amazing, in a truly depressing way.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Colourful_Hippie: Already dealt with

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By colourful_hippie
    @Hitchenson Yes to restarting everything. I'll try re downloading then I guess. It's the only other option I can think off besides pulling a page from Jeff's book and creating a iwanttodie@aol.com instead of comcast.
    izzygraze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By izzygraze

I delete the game from steam after every episode and it never deletes my save. So you should be safe. If redownloading it doesn't work then I'd post in the steam forums.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Fallen189

It's not even that great

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Same here, I remember last night around midnight steam updating and grabbing the latest episode. Booted it up tonight in hopes of playing a few minutes before leaving for work and it looks like my latest save file got deleted as only two other saves from previous playthroughs showed up. I initially thought I got the save issue that Brad was talking about on the bombcast so I booted up one of the saves and decided just to replay episode 4 so I can get to 5. A few minutes later I logged out and back in and ta-da the save file I thought that was gone suddenly appeared but the game keeps on saying episode 5 is not there when it was a few minutes ago! Not sure what to do I'm hoping to reinstall the game and hopefully have it fixed by the time I get home from work tonight.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By colourful_hippie

@PollySMPS: @I_Stay_Puft: So I just redownloaded/reinstalled and it worked but then it crashed when I tried episode 5, now it won't work again and for some reason my save files are now gone. I'm turning this PC off and going to go play Persona 4 Golden before I end up planting my foot through this computer. I give up.

@Fallen189 said:

It's not even that great

Go away.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ripelivejam

game was (probably partially) ruined for me by some asshat who put a spoiler in a thread title in steam community. i guess all of you will say it's my fault for going there in the first place, but i think they should have the courtesy to at least NOT BLINDLY ADVERTISE SPOILERS IN THE FUCKING TITLES WHICH EVERYONE CAN SEE.

and i was all ready to drop $12.50 on it, probably still will to support telltale but fuck, that just really took the wind out of my sails.

edit: sorry for being somewhat off topic, but this really bummed me out and i needed a place hopefully sans spoilers where i could air my grievances <_<

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

Anybody by any chance remember which podcast Brad was talking about the walking dead save bug or remember what he did to fix the issue?

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#14  Edited By Sin4profit
    JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#15  Edited By JasonR86

This is the sort of shit that will effect the game's chances at GOTY. If they had just nailed this shit down along with the action moments this would have been a lock for GOTY.

Kerned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Kerned

@ripelivejam: ugh, that really sucks. At least you won't freak out as much when the aliens show up.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

This probably won't help your issue but I was able to solve my save file problems. I was able to solve my issue by copying the prefs.prop file in documents/telltale games/the walking dead and replacing the prefs.prop file in steam/steamapps/common/the walking dead/pack/default.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By colourful_hippie

OK so I think I figured out what the problem is. Apparently having my 360 controller connected (through wireless receiver) is what was making it not work. The game runs now if I have the controller off which is just weird because I never had this problem before.

@Sin4profit said:

@Colourful_Hippie: Are you using Windows 8? I've been having problems running some games on Win8 (the EXE just won't fire) So far IL-2 Sturmovik: Cliffs of Dover, Hector: Badge of Carnage ( a telltale game), and now The Walking Dead won't load.

I have Win 8 (64bit) duel boot with Win 7 (32bit), rebooted into Win 7 and The Walking Dead started up just fine.

Yeah I'm on Win 8 but I figured that running the compatibility troubleshooter would fix any OS related issues.

@I_Stay_Puft said:

This probably won't help your issue but I was able to solve my save file problems. I was able to solve my issue by copying the prefs.prop file in documents/telltale games/the walking dead and replacing the prefs.prop file in steam/steamapps/common/the walking dead/pack/default.

I wouldn't be able to do that now because everything in the save folder got deleted for some reason. Oh well, I'm going to power play through this fast to the finish line...I guess it's better than not being able to play it at all.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By I_Stay_Puft

That sucks, but all your choices you've made in the other episodes do play an important role in episode 5. I may actually replay a certain episode in order to see how it effects the ending.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By colourful_hippie

@I_Stay_Puft: By playing through I mean going through all of the episodes at once.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheHumanDove

@Fallen189 said:

It's not even that great

You are all that is wrong with the world

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#22  Edited By Sin4profit

@Colourful_Hippie: i was able to get Hector: Badge of Carnage to run on my Win 8 64 bit laptop so that may not be an issue after all.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Fallen189

@TheHumanDove said:

@Fallen189 said:

It's not even that great

I thought it was pretty boring. The ending was a cop-out, the way they killed Kenny off was stupid, and it was all in all not entirely up to the standards of the previous ones.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#24  Edited By Hailinel

@Fallen189 said:

@TheHumanDove said:

@Fallen189 said:

It's not even that great

I thought it was pretty boring. The ending was a cop-out, the way they killed Kenny off was stupid, and it was all in all not entirely up to the standards of the previous ones.

Honestly, I'm more interested in opinions like yours at this point given the near universal praise people are throwing at Episode 5. I'd like to know why the people that don't like it don't like it.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Fallen189

@Hailinel said:

@Fallen189 said:

@TheHumanDove said:

@Fallen189 said:

It's not even that great

Honestly, I'm more interested in opinions like yours at this point given the near universal praise people are throwing at Episode 5. I'd like to know why the people that don't like it don't like it.

It's not that I think it's a bad game, because it was very good. But I think the phrase "It's more of the journey than the destination" is absolutely perfect to describe it. The end just kinda petered out in a very unsatisfying way.

unequivocable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By unequivocable

I feel your pain -- I was hit with all of those issues yesterday - running around trying to figure out why it wouldn't load only to find it's the 360 Controller connected (after having deleted it and reinstalled and Verifying File Integrity). And then when I loaded it my saves were all gone because I'd upgraded from Vista to Windows 8 after playing episodes 1-4. The prefs.prop file copy didn't work, but fortunately I had some old .save files left and so I found a bizarre fix on the Steam forums where I had to make a new save file and then copy and old save file and change the timestamps on it and rename it to the new file name to trick the game into thinking it was the new file. Super huge hassle! Two hours wasted trying to get the game to run with my choices pulled forward from 1-4 and in the end it only kept my episode 4 choices, the rest were randomized.

Kind of broke some of the moments in 5 when people would say "remember how _____ happened" and I was all "Fuck no it didn't happen that way!! I made damn sure Clementine didn't eat the meat!" but in my bizarre altered save state she had.... Sigh.

Still a good final episode.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By colourful_hippie

@Unequivocable: Wow, that sucks. Did you ever fix the problem with the 360 controller? I just finished episode 1 and I turned on my controller and it wouldn't launch again. I turned it off, launched the game, and found that my save file was fucking erased again so I'm back at square 1. I think I'm just gonna play 5 right away to just experience the main story beats before trying to play through all of the episodes again. This is the biggest hassle I've ever had with a PC game.

@Fallen189 said:

@Colourful_Hippie said:

@Fallen189: I don't care that you didn't like the game, it just wouldn't have killed you to add a fucking spoiler block.

Also you might want to dust off the dictionary cuz calling certain plot points "stupid" and "a cop-out" are anything but "objective facts"

Because taking things out of context and trying to attach arbitrary semantics really make your argument more valid. Get over it

/sigh. you're missing the point here.

The star child at the end of Mass Effect 3 is stupid.

-objective fact

See what I did there? I have zero problems with you not liking the game, just don't state your reasons as "facts", wise up.

Oh and

The star child at the end of Mass Effect 3 is stupid.

See, it's not hard to add a damn spoiler block if you want to talk about end game story beats so you can help avoid pissing off people like me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.