Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Game » consists of 27 releases. Released May 19, 2015

CD Projekt RED's third Witcher combines the series' non-linear storytelling with a sprawling open world that concludes the saga of Geralt of Rivia.

Questions about The Witcher 3 story and side quests

MikeLitoriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By MikeLitoriz

Duders. I've come to the point in the story where I'm supposed to find some dude (shocker) with Yennefer. If I understand correctly, this is the last quest of the first act.

My question is this. Should I do every single side quest I have at this point? Meaning, will they fail after moving forward into the second act?

Also, does the story ever get good? I'm so damned tired of playing a PI focusing on missing persons. I mean god damn it, whatever happened to creativity? And how long are the other acts compared to the first? At this point, I'm unsure if I'll bother to play through the game.

And man, I can't for the life of me understand why people praise this games writing. It's not like it's any better than the writing of Skyrim, and that's saying something. At least Skyrim was varied and interesting and fun to explore. The Witcher 3? Not so much.

And the sex scenes? Embarrasing. At the best they're about as awkward as sex scenes in video games always are, and at worst you're fucking someone on a unicorn after she used a spell to remove her clothes. Wow, fucking stupid.

For all the praise this game gets, and how people seem to praise the writing, I've been really dissapointed so far. Writing is no better than Skyrim or Dragon Age, the main quest line boring as hell so far, you constantly do the same thing, exploration doesn't hold a candle to Skyrim and combat isn't nearly as fun and fluid as in Dragon Age: Inquisition.

Bad game? No, maybe a three star game to me. Biggest disappointment of the year? Hell yes. Destiny levels of disappointment.

Oh, guess my question turned into a rant.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Three0neFive

Honest question, have you played any of the other Witcher games (or read any of the books, since TW3 ties into them in ways that the previous games didn't)? I hear complaints about the plot being "boring" a lot, and for the most part it seems to come from people who haven't - which would make sense since they don't really have any context for the story, world or characters outside of "Wild Hunt bad, Ciri good."

MikeLitoriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@three0nefive: Played both the previous games. Have not read the books. But I don't think looking for 50 different people would be any more fun if I'd read the books.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I played a good chunk (even completed the main quest) of skyrim and barely remember any details and don't remember a single character or conversation. Needless to say, I think that world is boring as shit. So taste I guess? I don't understand why people ask "when will I like this thing I don't like?!?!?" I'm slightly behind where you are (just got to skellige) and really enjoying the world and writing (granted I played the other 2 games and read all the books).

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The only time quests will fail, the game tells you before you begin the quest and tells you to make a save.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikelitoriz: You are not having fun, so why do you continue to play? It might be not for you, simple as that. And I politely disagree about the writing and actually everything else. Different strokes for different folks and all that.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are about 70% of the way done, and they game will let you know if a bunch of quests are failed after the end of the first act. So you can go through that story beat and then see if anything fails to be sure. It's pretty obvious, there will be giant red popups that tell you if you've failed a quest.

Talks about the sex scenes being embarrassing, but has a euphemism as a username on the site. >.>

MikeLitoriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikeLitoriz

@thunderslash: Hah, good one, but I don't really see how that's relevant.

And 70% done? Really? Those other acts have to be pretty short then. No new side quests that pop up in those other acts? I kinda hope not. Feel the game is kinda overwhelming already.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In some cases, a game people like may not be for you (for example, I hated Bulletstorm and D3 at launch, whereas critics disagree with me).

That said, your question about does the story "get good" is subjective. What kinds of stories do you like (and note: I don't take "not this one" as a valid answer). Do you like ones more like ME/DA where it's more about the world you live in versus specific characters? Do you want to be the "chosen one" or "a pawn in a grand scheme"? Specifics matter here.

Also, the sex scenes argument can be countered with one sentence: play Witcher 1 again or any of the ME games. Those were rough, and they're slightly less weird here. But, video game sex has always been awkward and annoying. (plus, I have to parrot the irony of the username to the arguments above).

If you're worried about failing quests, make like Shia LeBouf and JUST DO IT!!! I think I only failed 1 objective and 2 quests (that were specifically timed) in my entire playthrough (and I finished the story/a good number of the side quests). The remaining quests I have left were available after the ending. Also, if you played the first 2, you kinda knew what you were in for with 3. They're all kinda the same on the writing/story presentation front.

And lastly, the whole "DA/Skyrim were totally better" thing is all your opinion. I found DA:I good, but the combat consisted of holding R2 until my finger cramped, and popping all of the skills I could at once while I watched my party derp around the baddies (played Mage). Yup, totally better combat (see, I can do it the other way too). And as for Skyrim: I loved all of the side quests being 1) go to cave, 2) kill dudes, 3) get dragon word, 4) Repeat endlessly. Width of an ocean, depth of a puddle. As for their characters, I think I remember a couple from DA, and Skyrim had a bunch of Viking dudes or something. I found W3 to be more engaging on that front and meaningful. So your arguments on Skyrim apply inversely for me on Witcher.

And hey, you're welcome to be disappointed and run all up/down the internet you want. I respectfully disagree on this being Destiny disappointing. Last I checked, CDProjekt didn't lock any quests away on cans of Red Bull.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ThunderSlash

@mikelitoriz: There are some new side quests that show up in the next 2 acts, but they are pretty major in a "you get them from a major story quest" sort of way. Either way, it's not a lot and most of the side quest content in the game have already been revealed to you in Act 1.

MikeLitoriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madman356647: So because I have a joke as a username, I can't complain about sex scenes in video games? Wait, that can't be right...

Anyway, you say you respectfully disagree, but your whole posts reads like "No dad, what about you!". Yeah that's from the Breakfast Club. Your counter argument to everything is "no it didn't".

So to poke at this a little more. You found Skyrim's side quests to be poor, but you like The Witcher 3's?

• Notice board: Kill a dude for me. Regards, dude.
    • Hey dude, I'm here to kill that dude for you. But first, let's talk money.
    • On my way. Find place, check stuff using my Detective vis... Witcher senses.
    • Follow tracks.
    • Find monster. Kill monster. Chop off head and get 15th worthless trophy.
    • Hey dude. I want my money. Thanks.

And had this been only the WItcher Contracts, then fine. But basically every mission in the game follows this formula. I'm so damned tired of my objective being either "find xxxx" or "investigate using witcher senses".

I mean god damn it.

Avatar image for deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee
    deactivated-64bc6edfbd9ee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mikelitoriz:

First off, I commented on the irony of your username discussing it, then pretty much agreed on that point. So...ok?

Second, you added context/additional info to your opinion as to why you didn't like it. That's pretty much what my post was going for. Guess what, we can disagree on the game! The world ain't going to end! In fact, with this info, I see your point. Instead of a list of gripes, we get to the nitty-gritty of what didn't stick for you. That's a good critique! That's all I wanted. If you pulled out "He just attacked everything I said, you didn't catch where I was going at all.

Plus, you messed with the bull, and got the horns.

No Caption Provided

MikeLitoriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudeglove: I will give you Gwent. It's the best part of the game.

MikeLitoriz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.