Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witcher

Franchise »

Fantasy RPG games based on a series of Polish novels.

The Witcher Netflix Show Announced

• 133 results
    Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

I can't tell if this is going to be live action or animated. "Bring to life" makes it sound live action but Platige Image is a visual effects and CGI studio so I'm not sure. Could be cool either way tho.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Well, at least this makes more sense than the recent announcements that they're bringing back Roseanne and Will & Grace.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Neat! Netflix makes great stuff.

OceanEve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Witcher is cool. I hope they do it right. Part of what makes the Witcher so notable is that its sensibilities feel very different from fantasy written by American or British authors, and I'd hate to see an adaptation lose that.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By BoOzak

I dont have high hopes for this, it's easy to see Game of Thrones succeed and think "right we can do fantasy, this is good source material!" but a lot of The Witcher is all about monsters, dwarfs, elves etc. and that stuff could come off as being very cringy without a big budget. It's Netflix so it is doable but it depends on how much they're willing to invest/risk.

Also casting for Geralt is crucial.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Ugh, please no CGI monsters. I want practical effects.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this will probably be middling to bad, just like the witcher 3! (i jest?)

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
    BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fuck yes, I am so 100% here for this. I guess it's time to finish The Witcher 3 and finally read the books.

brandondryrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This has the potential to be good. I got into Game of Thrones while playing Witcher 3, and I thought Witcher could make a decent show. You can have episodes focus on specific contracts, or multiple episode arcs around more involved topics. I really hope this doesn't suck.

xanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully this is batman in a GOT like universe as it should be.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boonsong: I mean, the whole show is probably going to be CG.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Zeik

Apparently Platige Image S.A. was already responsible for cutscenes in The Witcher games along with at least one of the directors working on this. Pair that with writing of The Witcher novels and this has a lot of potential if they do it right.

If this is at all representative of what we might see from this then sign me up:

Loading Video...

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The main thing for me would be getting the sword fighting choreography right, Geralt's fighting style is really pretty.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, that's cool. Also, worthy of another thread but I want to mention here too since I'm too lazy to make a thread about it right now, they're also making a Judge Dredd show.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@zeik: Alright, that restores some faith. I'm sure fans of the books and games would be into this if the show was of that quality or better but I wonder if it would appeal to the masses, which i'm guessing it would need to in order to keep going and justify the costs.

oldenglishc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bet nobody on the staff will even watch it.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By odinsmana

I really hope they manage to capture the "feel" of the novels. The style and tone of the witcher stories are what makes them great. Without that I`m a bit afraid it will just turn into generic fantasy slog.

If it`s live action the Witcher novels don`t acutally feature that many giant battles, big magic effects, dragons etc. in comparison to a lot of fantasy so similarly to Game of Thrones it might actually be possible to make it on a somewhat reasonable TV series budget.

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TimeLeap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really dislike how he shit talks the games so much, yet is so eager to sing the praises of this Netflix series.

The part where he mentions 'staying true to the source material' comes across as so goddamn snide.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@timeleap: If you were unaware, he did not get the greatest of deals on those games (likely because not many outside of Poland knew/cared much about these Witcher novels until after the games started coming along). Presumably with the success of those games, and especially Witcher 3, this series is possible and also worth quite a bit more at the bargaining table.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Zeik

I bet nobody on the staff will even watch it.

Vinny totally will. He even read the books as I recall. Or at least some of them.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@mmmslash said:

@timeleap: If you were unaware, he did not get the greatest of deals on those games (likely because not many outside of Poland knew/cared much about these Witcher novels until after the games started coming along). Presumably with the success of those games, and especially Witcher 3, this series is possible and also worth quite a bit more at the bargaining table.

Tbf he's lucky Moorcock didn't sue him anyway.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By odinsmana

@jonny_anonymous said:
    @mmmslash said:

Tbf he's lucky Moorcock didn't sue him anyway.

I dunno. While there are a couple of pretty specific things that are similiar between Elric and Geralt it`s mostly superficial stuff and they are really different characters (from what I have gathered. I am not that familiar with Moorcocks work).

As for him not liking the Witcher games (I love both games and books by the way) I can kinda get it since they do veer pretty far from the books and they straight up retcon some pretty important stuff from the books (Witcher book spoilers: Geralt, Yennefer, and Regis`s deaths in particular) and do also just generally have a pretty different feel from the books. How vocal he is about his distaste for the games is a bit dickish though considering that he did sell them the rights and let them do what they did in the first place.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: If it's going to be all CG, then I am at least interested. That could turn out really bad or awesome.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By soulcake

This already exist but in Polish ofc. Also Andrzej is great shit talker when it comes to cd projekt red so NO THANKS !

Ps. (i hope Adam Sandler plays Gerald and Rob Scheinder plays Roach cause Netflix.)

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattimus_prime: I should point out that my examples are not cruel social media hoaxes.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soulcake said:

This already exist but in Polish ofc. Also Andrzej is great shit talker when it comes to cd projekt red so NO THANKS !

There is a really old Witcher TV show or movie as I recall, and by all accounts it was pretty bad. There's no way in hell that's what this is.

cmblasko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds great! Hope it leans more into the X-Files monster of the week stuff than the gray morality, everything sucks stuff.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I'm fully interested in how this turns out.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder what type of episode/season order netflix has comitted to upfront. Even if they focus on the saga and don't adapt many of the short stories, it will still need 5 seasons (at 1 season per book) to tell the whole story.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#32  Edited By Undeadpool

Andrej Sapowski's involvement is something of a double-edged sword (silver or iron).

On the one hand: YAY! Original creator's involvement means a certain degree of tonal accuracy.

On the other: he thinks the videogames are nonsense BS, so if your only exposure is the videogame, prepare to be surprised.

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As long as it doesn't focus on Geralt

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man I hope this is good. This is the first Netflix announcement I've actually been really excited about

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By ArtisanBreads

A little worried about his pitch of it as a story about family and I am not sure about the people behind it, but I am excited to see where this goes. The short stories make a lot of sense in a TV format.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@undeadpool said:

Andrej Sapowski's involvement is something of a double-edged sword (silver or iron).

On the one hand: YAY! Original creator's involvement means a certain degree of tonal accuracy.

On the other: he thinks the videogames are nonsense BS, so if your only exposure is the videogame, prepare to be surprised.

His criticisms are mostly just bullshit though, of the "games can't be art" variety. He didn't make money off the game (stupid on his part) and then also they became hugely popular and drove people to read his books but yet he doesn't want to give them credit. As far as that discussion goes, he seems like a bitter fool to me. Good writer, but a fool.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So I can just watch this instead of playing the game right? Save the 110 hours. I may as well just get the story this way and not deal with the clunky gameplay people complain about.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By zeushbien

Hmm.. Could be interesting I guess. I really should start reading some more of the books, though the whole Sapkowski being kind of a douche has kind of put a downer on my enthusiasm to do so.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
    deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please don't be live action, please..

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Zeik

@zeushbien said:

Hmm.. Could be interesting I guess. I really should start reading some more of the books, though the whole Sapkowski being kind of a douche has kind of put a downer on my enthusiasm to do so.

Sometimes you have to divorce the author from the literature or media you want to enjoy. History is full of pretty shitty people responsible for amazing stories. This guy being kind of a dick about video games is pretty low on that list.

@paulmako said:

So I can just watch this instead of playing the game right? Save the 110 hours. I may as well just get the story this way and not deal with the clunky gameplay people complain about.

No, it's very unlikely this will touch on anything that happens in the games. This is based on the books that all take place before the first game.

Avatar image for deactivated-633c70ff026e8
    deactivated-633c70ff026e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow that's cool, I'm looking forward to it.

big_denim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I'm hoping this is more akin to The Last Wish where each episode is a short story focusing on one monster/contract.

Also, while I see Travis Fimmel being a great fit for Geralt casting, I feel like that dude may be soured on video game cinema after that Warcraft movie...

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@zeik: That I agree with. I have always been able to set that aside.

I quite like the stories that I have read so definitely recommend them.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
    deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's no possible way this can be good.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

netflix makes great stuff. It's gonna be good

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

@undeadpool said:

His criticisms are mostly just bullshit though, of the "games can't be art" variety. He didn't make money off the game (stupid on his part) and then also they became hugely popular and drove people to read his books but yet he doesn't want to give them credit. As far as that discussion goes, he seems like a bitter fool to me. Good writer, but a fool.

My point exactly.

netflix makes great stuff. It's gonna be good

This isn't STRICTLY true *cough*HEMLOCK GROVE*cough*

Rata Gain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wait,isn't there an issue of plagiarism between The Witcher and The Elric series ?

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Unicorn sex?

Hayt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Hayt

@rata gain: No. The stories are totally different. Both of them have "Name" of "Location" and grey hair and that's about it. Oh and they are both nicknamed White Wolf.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.