The Witcher Netflix Show Announced

• 113 results
#101 Posted by Christoffer (2373 posts) -

I agree that he looks a bit off in that picture, like Johnny Handsome put on a cheap Halloween wig, but I often think those types of promotion and concept photos looks silly compared to when you see it in the movie or TV show. When I first saw the promotion photos of the dwarfes from The Hobbit I thought it was a joke. I think the biggest thing I will have to get used to is the look of everything and everyone else in the show. I bet Geralt is pretty well described in the books but how much of the rest is fabricated purely by CD Projekt Red? The looks and mannerisms of the side characters, the creatures, the cities, the fighting styles, the looks of clothes and armor etc.

#102 Posted by Wolfstein_3D (279 posts) -

After he was announced as Witcher I immediately hoped they would give him a beard else he would look to clean for the grim folklore setting.
Unfortunately the hair only adds to the "decent cosplay" impression.

#103 Edited by Isslander (70 posts) -

@cmblasko: Not a video game adaptation.

I would prefer it to be, but it's an adaptation of the books. So it can be compared with the games, as an adaptation of the same material, but that's it.

#104 Posted by nutter (1882 posts) -

@jonny_anonymous: Hates beards? Well, a flawed protaganist is an interesting protaganist...

#105 Posted by BoOzak (2515 posts) -

@christoffer: I'm willing to guess that a lot of the main characters (Geralt included) will also have english accents, which will probably rub fans of the games the wrong way.

Personally i'm fine with it, I liked Geralt's voice actor but I think trying to imitate him would be a mistake. I'm curious if they decide to make Dandilion less annoying or just double down on his douchyness. (i'm aware he was pretty shitty in the books, although i've only read the first)

#106 Posted by Milkman (19261 posts) -

Between this awful looking Geralt and the actress they cast as Yennefer looking like she’s 15 years old, I think I’m good with ignoring this dumb show’s existence from here on out.

#107 Posted by BoOzak (2515 posts) -

@milkman: I'm not the biggest fan of the casting but doesnt Yennefer use some sort of spell to hide her age?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
#108 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (3642 posts) -

@nutter: Yeah, I don't like the books or the writer so i don't actually know but thats what all the fans are saying. In the book he says he doesn't like beards.

#109 Edited by inevpatoria (7422 posts) -

@boozak said:

@christoffer: I'm willing to guess that a lot of the main characters (Geralt included) will also have english accents, which will probably rub fans of the games the wrong way.

Personally i'm fine with it, I liked Geralt's voice actor but I think trying to imitate him would be a mistake. I'm curious if they decide to make Dandilion less annoying or just double down on his douchyness. (i'm aware he was pretty shitty in the books, although i've only read the first)

To add to this: Henry Cavill sometimes employs a low, hushed voice that, without being any degree of imitation, comes close enough to being Geralt's voice to be totally serviceable.

This whole thing will probably be fine, though I wonder if its true obstacle will be the level to which it comes off as Game of Thrones-adjace.

#110 Posted by TheHT (15794 posts) -

It's the fashion model facial expression (the smile, mostly) that does the most to make him look off to me. I buy him more as Geralt here than in the costume tbh:

No Caption Provided

#111 Posted by Esteban5XG (12 posts) -

Well, so... finally Legolas is coming back, right? I hope Henry Cavill will improve his acting performance in order to make himself a better actor. The show demands it.

#112 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1951 posts) -

Can't wait for this. Man Netflixs are killing it lately. And just to think a year or two ago I was thinking of cancelling because we were barely watching it.

#113 Edited by The_Greg (535 posts) -

@frodobaggins: I think 90% of the Netflix original content is dogshit. 5% is okay and 5% is excellent.

Hopefully this falls somewhere into that last 10%.

#114 Posted by CJduke (1035 posts) -

While this doesn't look great, I'm pretty sure this series is going to be about a younger Geralt and in the books and the Witcher 1 he doesn't have a beard.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.