Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

Crash on pc (R9 Cards)

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Kazona

Has anyone else experienced this? The game always crashes on me after fifteen to thirty minutes of play. And I mean that it just hard locks the computer. Even the screen goes completely black.

Edit: just found out on this Steam topic that it's an issue with R9 cards. No fix as of yet.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Can you hear game sound at least? If so, I had the same case with Spec Ops: The Line. While that was a common issue solved with compatibility mode, people say the same with newer games still happening. Try updating or resetting graphics drivers?

Post your specs.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By Kazona

@thephantomnaut: I just did some more perusing on the Steam forums for this game and found the answer to my question in this topic. Looks like it's an issue with the R9 cards from AMD. No fix as of yet. Lucky me.

So as much as I'd love to play this game, maybe I'll just get a refund spend the money on something else. If the issue gets fixed I can always buy the game again at a later date. Provided I get the refund of course (I'm over the 2 hour limit).

Thanks for the help and sorry for clogging the forums!

dotdashdotdash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By dotdashdotdash

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about how buggered this thing is on PC. This isn't just an issue on R9 cards and integrated graphics either. I have a GTX 970 and have the same exact problem. Steam forums are full of people having serious issues with this game crashing every 5-10 minutes on PC.

Game ran fine for me for the first 2-3 hours. As soon as I made it to the room with the tree on the table and the doors that slide up and down, it's been nothing but crashes. I can't make it more than 10 minutes without it crashing. Sometimes it crashes to desktop, other times it does what OP describes: screen goes black, everything on my computer freezes up. I can see a mouse cursor and that's it.

I'm over 2 hours in but I'm still going to ask Steam for a refund as the game is basically unplayable for me in its current state. For anyone thinking about purchasing it, I would suggest buying this on PS4 or waiting until further patches are released. It's a bit of a hot mess right now on PC.

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You may want to follow the instructions for posting your data file in this thread.

There are problems that aren't limited to AMD R-series card drivers, but for the specific problems that are it does seem like the dev. team is trying to zero in on the causes & they've said they're trying to work with AMD on figuring it out.

goreyfantod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The dev. team thinks they've found the issue with AMD R9 cards:

"Naysayer [developer] 1 hour ago

Good news!!We think we found the cause of the crash and we are testing the fix in the office now.If this is confirmed to work, we should have a small patch up later today (executables only) that addresses the biggest AMD R9 problems."

For now the patch is opt-in only, in the 'future' branch of the beta settings.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

guess i'm one of the lucky ones, I have an R9 390 and the game has never crashed for me. running on windows 10 pro 64 bit with fx 8320 and 16 gb ram. AMD 16.1.1 driver.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.