Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

Similar Games?

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I love The Witness. It is one of the best games I've played in years. Unfortunately, it's over. I've gotten everything out of it, and I still want more. Anybody got any suggestions of games that strike a similar chord? The obvious suggestion is Myst, which I've never played, so I'm probably going to get Real Myst: Masterpiece Edition, and maybe delve into the rest of that series depending on how I feel about it, but are there any others? Maybe Myst-likes from back in the day that are really good and I should write down for later? Or more modern indie games I might've missed that share similarities? Doesn't necessarily have to be an obvious comparison. If something about a game reminds you of The Witness even though it's very different at face value I'd love to hear about it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

Definitely check out The Talos Principle and Antichamber.

Hamst3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 2

Along with Myst, don't forget about Riven and Uru. There's also the yet-to-be-released Obduction by the same people.

As for newer stuff, Antichamber and FEZ.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@beachthunder:Already way ahead of you. Guess I should've mentioned those. Couldn't really get into Antichamber. Might give it another go sometime. Loved Talos Principle, though.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
    deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Antichamber. It's like The Witness but well-designed, play-tested and fun.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By davidh219

@depecheload: Weird, I have similar feelings if you reverse the games, although I want to like Antichamber and will probably give it another shot at some point. Seems like your mind's made up about The Witness. Fun is obviously subjective, but what makes you say it's poorly designed and not play-tested? I think The Witness is one of the most intelligently designed games I've ever played.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@depecheload: Really? How about the genuinely fiddly solutions like the Red Cross? Did that feel like it should succesfully pass QA? There's far too much unpredictability in the mechanics you possess and precision is very important. I very much liked Antichamber and loved employing the quirky logic of that world, but the moments of revelation there pale in comparison to solving a really hard puzzle after putting in the mental work in The Witness.

qrdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@davidh219: Have you played Alcazar on mobile? There's some reason to believe that it served as partial inspiration for The Witness. There is basically only one mechanic - you have to fill every square of a maze-like room by a continuous line. It sounds easy, but there were several rooms which took me much much longer to solve than any puzzle in TW. I still dream about trying to solve two of them and I uninstalled the game a year ago. Also, the interface is great, you can draw partial lines or additional walls and then lock them in place. However, the game seems semewhat susceptible to OS updates, at least on Android, which meens that sometimes it's unplayable for a week or two.

kuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By kuku

Snakebird? Grid-based puzzles, colorful. I don't know why it comes to my mind.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Saints Row IV has some line puzzles that gave me Witness panic attacks yesterday.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@kiwikuku:Yeah, a lot of Eulerian path type puzzles. On a similar note, there's also Unium, which is just straight-up a game full of Eulerian paths.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.