Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

The Witness Puzzle Help Thread (Spoilers)

Pliny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 31

#203  Edited By Forcen

@pliny: So draw a zero? I'm lost, sorry.

edmorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forcen: you should just leave this puzzle and come back later. You will find areas that teach you what the black dots mean, what the yellow tetris looking blocks mean, and what the blue blocks mean. This puzzle is using multiple rule sets, and is not worth randomly trying to figure it out. Once you have learned all the rules the answer will be trivial to figure out.

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

@edmorex: Sure, probably smart. I'm below the ruins doing stuff now.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alphasquid: That's what I was afraid of. At least it'll feel so satisfying when I crack it.

edmorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only puzzles that you should ever have to randomly guess at are the first puzzles in an area that are very small and simple. You can then draw lines randomly to see what fails and what works to guess at how the new puzzle type works. Usually the next couple of puzzles which will be connected will then change things just enough so that you can see if your theory of how the puzzle works is correct or not. Once you get to complex looking puzzles like this you should never need to guess, you will be able to draw a line and know for sure that when you click the endpoint it is a correct solution.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#208  Edited By BBAlpert

I'm stuck trying to FIND what may be a late/end game puzzle (or area?). If not for the fact that there's a thread about the song that (I'm guessing) plays in that section, and something that Brad tweeted, I wouldn't even know this thing existed. But can someone help me find the Hall of the Mountain King place?

I have already activated all 11 lasers, opened up the hatch on the ground at the top of the mountain, and made my way down to the flying elevator thing at sea level.

It's supposedly the craziest thing in the game or something, but I haven't a clue where to start. Actually, I did get a clue in another thread (something about examining what the lasers do) but I'm not sure what to do with that.

*edit: Got it, nevermind.

For the record, the one key piece of information that I was missing was (warning: the following is simply a solution to a puzzle) checking the underside of the yellow box the stone guy on the mountaintop is holding.

alphasquid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bbalpert: I haven't gotten to the Hall of The Mountain King yet but I am at the place that i suspect leads to it. Go to the top of the mountain and go just few steps down inside. Look around. It relates to what the lasers did in the first place.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#210  Edited By BBAlpert
    CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Not a puzzle really, but I could certainly use your help. I have all 11 lasers activated, but one is just pointing off to sea, instead of towards the mountain. This is stopping the

last latch from being released therefor stopping my progress

Did I mess this up somehow? Or is there something I am missing. Thanks!

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#212  Edited By BeachThunder

@CastroCasper: There's something you're missing. What would you do to get a laser to change course? If you want to be pointed in the right direction: Go to the town.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#213  Edited By CastroCasper

@beachthunder: Hmm, okay thanks! Ill check it out now. edit: Checked it, THANK YOU! Cant believe I overlooked such a simple thing, haha. Now on to the real fun puzzles :p

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm sorry, I'm on my phone so I can't put spoiler tags, but I'll try to be as vague as possible.

Ok, so I'm currently in a large room (towards the end game) with two puzzles opposing each other, both working off the same "board". Am I right in thinking that I basically need to solve it three times: once at the first, once at the second and then again at the first for the exit? It seems crazy because I don't see anyway to fulfill the demands of the board without impeding on the second one, so I must be wrong or just slow.

Sorry if this is too vague and again, not looking for a straight up solution, but maybe just tell me if I got the right idea or not.

Thanks

thomasnash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I'm sorry, I'm on my phone so I can't put spoiler tags, but I'll try to be as vague as possible.

Ok, so I'm currently in a large room (towards the end game) with two puzzles opposing each other, both working off the same "board". Am I right in thinking that I basically need to solve it three times: once at the first, once at the second and then again at the first for the exit? It seems crazy because I don't see anyway to fulfill the demands of the board without impeding on the second one, so I must be wrong or just slow.

Sorry if this is too vague and again, not looking for a straight up solution, but maybe just tell me if I got the right idea or not.

Thanks

You may need to solve it a few more times than that.

Remember that both lines count towards completion on both boards, if that makes sense.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thomasnash: Yeah I managed to do it. I just hadn't figured out the right path for the first go. So basically I had the right idea, I was just too blind to see how "simple" the solution could be. Thanks anyway though.

RainbowWeasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think this is one of the few puzzle squares I have left to solve in the game, and it is driving me nuts. In the sunken ship, has anyone been able to successfully solve the puzzle next to the red light? I don't even know how much of a hint I want but I feel stuck on this one in a way that I haven't before. I may just need to talk about it to the internet.

I'm good on sound cues and their relationship to the dots and I recognize that there is symmetry going on which prevents me from hitting everything. I'm stuck on how the three note sound cues of the ship don't seem to match up at all with the board. I wondered if changes in the pitch or echo length would correlate to changes in color but I'm still not getting anything.

solorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainbowweasel: This is a really tough puzzle. Hint: There are multiple different sound cues.

NeoOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By NeoOne

@mike: if you want to know WHY that was the solution here it is [spoiler] if you notice the puzzle panels, they are leaning over and not straight, you have to move the shadows over one spot to figure it out because the board is shifted and not where it is supposed to be [/spoiler]

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#221  Edited By mike

@neoone: Thanks! I have actually figured it out and completed the game since that post - also I went ahead and edited your post for you and used an actual spoiler block. You may not see the button if you're on mobile.

NeoOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need some help and on a phone as well. I'm stuck in town on top of the building near the reflector thingy. It's the panel that is near the tree going through the roof. I see the hint but I'm missing something. Any help?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@neoone: The town is basically a collection of puzzles based on puzzle mechanics from other parts of the island. If you're having trouble in the town, solve some puzzles elsewhere, then come back - chances are that you'll have a better understanding when you return.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This might have been asked and answered somewhere else in this thread, but I'm trying to avoid reading other stuff.

So, once you complete all 11 areas, you can complete the puzzle on top of the mountain from the bottom of the box. This unlocks a puzzle that is right before the last area with the elevator. I completed this puzzle and heard some noises like rocks moving. However I can't tell what the hell I opened up. Am I just missing something obvious, or is it something I should keep exploring to find? The only thing I could think of is that it might be something outside of the mountain, around the base.

solorex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw: It's inside the mountain. But it's on a timer, I believe, so you might have to do it again.

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@solorex said:

@e30bmw: It's inside the mountain. But it's on a timer, I believe, so you might have to do it again.

Hmm, okay. Thanks! I'll try messing around with that hint and if I can't figure that out, I might find my way back into this thread for specifics haha.

RickRockmann

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw: You're missing something obvious. Stay in the room with that puzzle, and maybe solve it again?

e30bmw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@e30bmw: You're missing something obvious. Stay in the room with that puzzle, and maybe solve it again?

Yeah, I found it immediately after I solved it the first time. My issue was the first time, I heard the noise behind me so I ran back into the room before and then heard the noise again. I didn't realize that was it closing again and I didn't look down at the puzzle again to realize the cord coming out of one side wasn't lit up anymore. Now I have tons more puzzles to solve!

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Strife777

In the lumber mill, how the hell do you move the metal ramp now that you can't access the panel that moves it? I just can't get to it from any angle.

Edit: ok....I'm an idiot, forget I said anything.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Inside the village: I'm stuck on the color burst puzzle. Should I know everything I need to know to solve that puzzle if I completed the treehouse? I can't figure it out for the life of me. Also for the house with two linked puzzles in the basement where one has the dots you're supposed to pass over but they're all different sizes, is there some context I should be getting from somewhere else? I have no idea what the different dot sizes means and have never seen anything like the other puzzle.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Inside the village: I'm stuck on the color burst puzzle. Should I know everything I need to know to solve that puzzle if I completed the treehouse? I can't figure it out for the life of me. Also for the house with two linked puzzles in the basement where one has the dots you're supposed to pass over but they're all different sizes, is there some context I should be getting from somewhere else? I have no idea what the different dot sizes means and have never seen anything like the other puzzle.

You should come back to both of these. The puzzles here combine concepts from other areas.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

@quantris: TY, I'm not even sure what areas I haven't been to yet but I'll keep exploring.

bwheeeler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been brute-forcing a lot of those orange triangle puzzles around the map, should I maybe be taking notes or looking more carefully for patterns? Right now I'm just solving & forgetting, which feels cheap. Probably answered my own question.

GValo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By GValo

Last night I spent about an hour on the door on the beach behind the desert temple

Any hints would be super helpful. I can post a screenshot when I get home in about 4 hours if needed. I have 9 lasers but this one is just stumping me.

edit: I'm dumb it was on the previous page

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By pyrodactyl

2 Questions, please answer with yes/no:

Do I need to complete the puzzle in the wrecked ship to make it to where the rest of puzzles are? I'm at 11 lasers and did all the puzzles I could find on the island (439) except that one because fuck sound puzzles I hate them so much.

Can I get to the sixth hexagonal pattern (video code) from where I am or do I need to solve whatever you need to do to get underground first? If I can get to it and just missed it I would like to know where it is because I ran around everywhere and couldn't find it. For now I have

the one between the desert and the sea, the one in the bunker near the start of the game, the one in the mountain when on the climb to the top and the one between the temple and the bamboo forest. The fifth one is probably in the wrecked ship but I have no idea about the sixth one.

Pliny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: No, and no you can't get the final one yet.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strife777: I would really like to know you you move it, it's driving me crazy.

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#238  Edited By davidh219

I've been brute-forcing a lot of those orange triangle puzzles around the map, should I maybe be taking notes or looking more carefully for patterns? Right now I'm just solving & forgetting, which feels cheap. Probably answered my own question.

As far as I can remember those are only really used during the thing you do to get the "complete a certain challenge" trophy. So, if you want to do that, you should definitely know what those mean, but it's optional super hard stuff. I immediately took a picture of each one I solved with my phone because I knew I wasn't sure what the rule was. Turns out I was right, I had completely the wrong idea. I would suggest finding at least two that you've solved already and taking pictures just so you have them for later.

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pompouspizza: On the higher platform, look directly to your left while facing away from the sea, next to the ramp up. It's so simple it's easy to miss.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@strife777: I ended up looking it up. I had already "solved" that puzzle so it never occurred to me that it might have something to do with that. I felt pretty stupid but it's not like I looked up the solution to a puzzle so I'm not too bothered.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Anyone have a hint for bringing down the bridge for the treehouse shortcut by the side of the castle. It has really been bugging me

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bwheeeler said:

As far as I can remember those are only really used during the thing you do to get the "complete a certain challenge" trophy. So, if you want to do that, you should definitely know what those mean, but it's optional super hard stuff. I immediately took a picture of each one I solved with my phone because I knew I wasn't sure what the rule was. Turns out I was right, I had completely the wrong idea. I would suggest finding at least two that you've solved already and taking pictures just so you have them for later.

You could probably figure out the rule if you just go back to one and try things out. The rule isn't too crazy or anything.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not getting the trick here. (swamp)

No Caption Provided

So does multiple blue pieces cancel each other out? I don't get it.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fatalbanana: Yep, you got it. The square tetromino gets negated by the other pieces, therefore making the right area blank.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone have a hint for bringing down the bridge for the treehouse shortcut by the side of the castle. It has really been bugging me

There could be multiple ways to solve it. Check the exits and rethink what else is possible with the puzzle.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By fatalbanana

@beachthunder: Okay, but on the second of these puzzles I'm adding an extra block. If it cancels out wouldn't I just solve it like normal?

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#247  Edited By BeachThunder

@fatalbanana: You're not adding an extra block. You're nullifying the 2-block, thus making the left area of the second puzzle have three blank squares. It's incorrect to have blue blocks without something to counter them.

This is also correct:

No Caption Provided

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I give up. I'm at 439 completed puzzles, 11 lasers and can't find a way to get underground. I need a hint. Just saying what the solution even relates to would be enough (triangle panels? videos? that useless panel on top of the mountain?)

Please be vague.

fatalbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yrogerg77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By yrogerg77

I've been really loving this game so far, but there are two puzzles I simply have NOT been able to figure out no matter how many times I come back to it... they seem impossible (though I know better from all the other puzzles I've said that about and then solved in this game). Regardless of how possible or impossible they may be, I think I need a nudge on these two... maybe even more than a nudge:

https://i.imgur.com/UJU1Ia3.png

https://i.imgur.com/BMOqt6d.png

Just for the record, I have completed several areas with the colored "star" dots, so I believe I should be aware the relevant rule(s) to complete this one, but I've just never dealt with an odd number of any color before without one of the "upside-down Y" marks being present. This one appears to be of a unique design compared to the similar-looking ones I've encountered so far and it's got me stumped but good!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.