Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

THQ

Company »

THQ Inc. (Toy Headquarters) was a global American developer and publisher of video games.

THQ, Humble Bundle Team for Cheap Games, Charity

• 191 results
    Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Wikitoups

@Shivoa said:

While money going directly to devs is nice, I think the stand out part of the Bundles (beyond the PWYW spark) was DRM free and cross-platform (with several bundles built with titles getting brand new ports to Linux as part of getting the indie product ready for inclusion) - something this THQ bundle have not a whiff of. These are all Steam locked only and Windows only and maybe it is unreasonable to expect anything different from THQ but it does leave me asking what it is that Humble means, because they used to be very front & centre about working to get ports out on non-Windows platforms and making the content available DRM free (or via Ubuntu software centre or Steam if you'd rather tie your purchase that way).

Don't get me wrong, great deal if you haven't previously been buying THQ publisher packs in the Steam sales or individual games as they came out. But GOG.com have worked with publishers on DRM free as a minimum requirement and it would be weird if this was a Humble pitched deal so we have to assume THQ came to them so what went wrong in the negotiations on the DRM free stance? Porting would have required time and work (and money to pay for it) but DRM free is just taking out the auth check / Steam integration for games which are apparently all cracked wide open if you go looking for them so the DRM is not actually doing anything in these titles right now (except potentially making your purchases not work in the future if any of them need to phone home to THQ servers to install or play - not sure if they only lock to Steam DRM or if some have more security measures).

I remember seeing sanctum in a indie bundle which was windows and steam only (at the time) and plenty of games on indie royal pack are windows/mac with no Linux port.

I think it's that out of all of these different indie bundles, the humble bundle is your big, well known, popular one that most of the big name indie games goes there.

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By ltsmash

@KoolAid said:

I got it just for the soundtracks

It's worth the price for the Saints Row soundtrack ALONE.

Shabs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By Shabs

@Shivoa said:

While money going directly to devs is nice, I think the stand out part of the Bundles (beyond the PWYW spark) was DRM free and cross-platform (with several bundles built with titles getting brand new ports to Linux as part of getting the indie product ready for inclusion) - something this THQ bundle have not a whiff of. These are all Steam locked only and Windows only and maybe it is unreasonable to expect anything different from THQ but it does leave me asking what it is that Humble means, because they used to be very front & centre about working to get ports out on non-Windows platforms and making the content available DRM free (or via Ubuntu software centre or Steam if you'd rather tie your purchase that way).

Don't get me wrong, great deal if you haven't previously been buying THQ publisher packs in the Steam sales or individual games as they came out. But GOG.com have worked with publishers on DRM free as a minimum requirement and it would be weird if this was a Humble pitched deal so we have to assume THQ came to them so what went wrong in the negotiations on the DRM free stance? Porting would have required time and work (and money to pay for it) but DRM free is just taking out the auth check / Steam integration for games which are apparently all cracked wide open if you go looking for them so the DRM is not actually doing anything in these titles right now (except potentially making your purchases not work in the future if any of them need to phone home to THQ servers to install or play - not sure if they only lock to Steam DRM or if some have more security measures).

Do you think it's possible that Humble went with Steam because Humble Bundle couldn't anticipate afford the bandwidth to host that many downloads of multi-gigabyte DRM-free THQ games?

tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#54  Edited By tofford

Just bought it and this is the first time I have given 100% to the developer. I feel like THQ need it right now

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55  Edited By Shivoa

@Shuborno said:

@Shivoa said:

Do you think it's possible that Humble went with Steam because Humble Bundle couldn't anticipate afford the bandwidth to host that many downloads of multi-gigabyte DRM-free THQ games?

Yep, that makes sense but it seems a shame they couldn't put a floor into the price (to cover bandwidth, which for smaller games has always been covered in the Humble tip) or offer a private P2P tracker to deal with distribution of DRM free versions. Humble have always worked with others (Ubuntu store, Steam, Desura before they kinda created their own Humble type system, even OnLive) to give owners options but also allow a DRM free version.

brownsfantb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#56  Edited By brownsfantb

I'll think I'll pick this up even though I've already played Saint's and Darksiders on 360. It'd be nice to have Metro 2033 to play even though I'll never get around to it. Also, I want to support THQ although they might be too late to save.

Also,

The top contributor right now is "HOTLINE F'ING MIAMI."

namco51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By namco51

Whelp, they finally put Saints Row the Third a a pricepoint I can jump on... then they throw in all them other incredible games too. I had CoH on Steam and DVD already, and Darksiders on Xbox, but I just had to jump on this for SRtT and Metro.

Lingxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#58  Edited By Lingxor

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU PICK SKYRIM AS GOTY 2011

deano546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#59  Edited By deano546

I'll repost this from the other thread as I'm interested in hearing from people who disagree

"I don't understand the backlash to this, mainly from indie devs and now there is an article on Penny Arcade too, I honestly don't see any cons to this, even on the top of the web page it says HiB 7 will be out soon, so its not like they're going to stop doing those.

A big publisher going out of business is a fairly rare thing (And unfortunate), the fact that they are resorting to this is strange, but its not like there will be a Humble EA Bundle in a few months."

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By jaycrockett

This seems insane. Saint's Row 3 is going for $39 on Steam right now but I can get it with 6 other games for 6 bucks?

All this PC action is seriously making me consider moving my primary gaming to a PC/TV setup.

ChrisTaran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ChrisTaran

@Tofford said:

Just bought it and this is the first time I have given 100% to the developer. I feel like THQ need it right now

I also gave 100% to the developer for the first time as well.

RoyCampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#62  Edited By RoyCampbell

Which one's the charity

geo4690

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By geo4690

$1.69 :)

Vincenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By Vincenzo

@deano546: I completely agree with you. My comment linked to the same article.

Vincenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Vincenzo

@RoyCampbell said:

Which one's the charity

I see what you did there...

Avatar image for blood_for_the_blood_god
    Blood_for_the_blood_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kinda upsetting that i bought coh during black friday when i couldve waited less than a week to get metro and darksiders for less. oh well, hope the charity recipients are helped.

samfo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#67  Edited By samfo

I paid 15 and did the default split. That's way too good value.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#68  Edited By Chummy8

I'm going to buy this one.

Kierkegaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#69  Edited By Kierkegaard

Okay, so only having macs sucks sometimes. Enjoy your amazing deal, PC owners!

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Draxyle

Got on board and split the distribution mostly even; I want to help THQ out at least a little bit. I've only played SR3 from that list, so this seems like a good time to check out these other older titles.

And anyone who hasn't already gotten Saint's Row 3, that game alone is worth tenfold the price of entry. As a note though, the soundtrack doesn't seem to include any licensed music, ie; all the reasons you'd want a SR3 soundtrack

deano546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By deano546

@Shuborno said:

@Shivoa said:

I doubt this, because in their other bundles you can download the DRM free versions via a torrent. I'd guess THQ dont want easy to pirate versions of their games going around (Sure, these games are long cracked, but DRM free makes it even easier.)

pigmartyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By pigmartyr

I wonder what the bonus games are going to be next week. Stacking? Costume quest? Surely not Darksiders 2.

MatthewMeadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#73  Edited By MatthewMeadows

Is Patrick pulling my chain here, or should I really play through Metro 2033 just in Russian language?

I bought it with what was left in my PayPal ($1.55, sorry THQ) and I'm wondering if he's serious.

Avatar image for renegadedoppelganger
    RenegadeDoppelganger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Shivoa said:

I've always seen Humble Bundle as a charitable endeavor; an attractive way to support various charitable or worthy causes, not a way to purchase games cheaper than they'd normally be offered for elsewhere. I understand the bundles have typically been cross-platform and DRM-free but one could argue that if your goal is to raise money for the developers and charities, including some big-budget games could attract more people to the bundle and therefore positively affect the amount of purchases.

Obviously THQ is not an independent developer but supporting them, at least in their current financial state, could be considered a form of charity especially if you are a big fan of their games. The beauty of Humble is that you control exactly how much you want to give and exactly where it goes. If you don't believe THQ is worth supporting, Child's Play and The ARC are superb charities and Humble allows you the option of sending every dollar to them if you wish.

Humble is pretty up-front about the nature of this bundle ( not being cross-platform) as they have a honking red banner at the very top of the page cautioning visitors specifically about it. Again if you don't like their execution, the bundle is still a great cause and worth supporting in their own right so that they may continue to run them.

Interesting tidbit: Despite none of the games being cross-platform @LinuxGamers is the 10th largest contributor to this bundle.

No Caption Provided

deano546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By deano546

@pigmartyr: Probably Red Faction Guerilla and some Warhammer RTS, those are the games that have been on sale for crazy low prices the last 6 months or so.

artelinarose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By artelinarose

I already own most of the games on here... does anybody know if I get gift codes or something for the games I already own, or is that out of the question?

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By jozzy

@HarlechQuinn said:

This is somehow sad... and even more sad are some of the negative/bitter twitter reactions and the "funny" people who post pics how they set the slider to $0 for THQ...

Ok, that is just evil...

dr_mantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By dr_mantas

@Artemesia said:

I already own most of the games on here... does anybody know if I get gift codes or something for the games I already own, or is that out of the question?

Yes, you can gift, and I encourage people that own these games to do so. THQ is a great company, and they really need our help.

deano546

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By deano546

@Artemesia said:

It's one key (and one more for Saints Row), and you don't get extra gift copies if you already own some of the games.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By flasaltine

DO NOT DO NOT GIVE ANY MONEY TO THE AMERICAN RED CROSS. They are one of the worst charities around.

gexecuter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By gexecuter

Hey Klepeck if you only played Metro 2033 once with the russian language on i'm sorry to say you missed a lot of the incidental dialogue that happens in the game. The game doesn't subtitle NPC chatter for some reason so you end up missing a lot of super interesting back story stuff that is never touched on directly, that's why i can't force (yet) myself to play with the russian option on even tough you miss a lot of the atmosphere.

Avatar image for deactivated-590b7522e5236
    deactivated-590b7522e5236

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

there is a single code for most of the games, if i already own some how do i seperate em?

oh i see you cant nvm.

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I feel a bit cheap for giving so little but on the flipside it's all I can spare and I put the slider all the way to charity. 

Sucks I already had Metro and Darksiders, but there's no complaining allowed in this situation.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By DeF

WARNING, GERMAN BOMBERS:

The Saints Row The Third Steam Key does NOT work in Germany!

if you contact HB support, they'll send you a German key (for the censored version...)

BigD145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By BigD145

Donate to the Red Cross. Do it regardless of these games. Seriously, no Guerrilla? Hate you Armageddon.

G0rd0nFr33m4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 18

#86  Edited By G0rd0nFr33m4n

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

I feel a bit cheap for giving so little but on the flipside it's all I can spare and I put the slider all the way to charity. Sucks I already had Metro and Darksiders, but there's no complaining allowed in this situation.

I had Darksiders, Metro, CoH 1 (non steam) and Saints, but all of the CoHs and Armgeddon (on steam is a plus) is a good deal, and I gave to charity. Win win there if you ask me.

Thanks for the heads up GB!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Little_Socrates said:

Man, the fact that there are angry twitter people makes ME angry!

I want a bumper sticker that says this.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By WinterSnowblind

This is a ridiculously great offer and yet another reason I'm reminded why I won't need an Xbox or Playstation next-gen.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Lurkero

I hope the Humble Bundles don't stray too far away from helping small developers. People got turned off when EA did something like this and even though THQ is in some deep trouble, they are not the same as previous Bundle developers.

In any case, my god, please play Metro 2033, and please play it with the Russian language setting flipped on. You feel like a stranger in a strange land, and the atmosphere completely engulfs you into its weird setting.

Don't tell me what to do.

@RoyCampbell said:

Which one's the charity

Ha! I was gonna make a witty comment like that, but I feel there is no better one.

Saganomics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By Saganomics

Thank you for the heads up, dude. This deal is insane.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Man, even though I already had Metro 2033, Darksiders, RF:A and SR3, this deal was a must.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93  Edited By Subjugation

Wow, so glad I was tipped off to this. This is the first Humble Bundle I've gone in on, and it was so worth it. Thanks for the heads up Scoops Kleptok!

Avatar image for cheesetriangles
    cheesetriangles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By cheesetriangles

Is the charity THQ?

DeathTrap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By DeathTrap

@Little_Socrates said:

Man, the fact that there are angry twitter people makes ME angry! This is a great bundle for charity, buy it if you don't own most of it already.

I own pretty much all of it and bought it anyways, just for the soundtracks.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#96  Edited By pickassoreborn

Pretty insane deal. Makes me think if this can't be adopted in the future for other games publishers who have games just languishing in the Phantom Zone. Seems to be a great way to raise money for charity with them.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#97  Edited By JoeyRavn

@Vincenzo said:

I can't even believe people are poo pooing this deal.

Seriously, Ben Kuchera? Seriously? Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting. I haven't read his rant on the previous Humble eBook Bundle, which wasn't even about games, but I have to assume it is as poignant and bitter as this one*.

*I know he didn't write such piece.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

#98  Edited By eccentrix

@peterjames said:

Good for them. The more people who play Saint's Row the more likely the next one will happen.

Does more people playing Armageddon make a new Guerilla less likely to happen? If so, this seems like a bad deal.

coolarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#99  Edited By coolarman

This is the first humble bundle that I went in on and it was well worth it. Thanks for the heads up Kleptok

FierceDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By FierceDeity

Truly an incredible deal... you know a deal is truly amazing when it feels like stealing.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.