Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tim Schafer

Person » credited in 41 games

Tim Schafer is a game designer best known for his contributions to the adventure genre. His work often features a unique sense of offbeat humor. Schafer served in creative roles on numerous LucasArts games in the 1990s before departing to form Double Fine Productions.

Tim Schafer's thoughts about Bobby Kotick

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Mr_Skeleton

"Eurogamer: I think he's a bit misunderstood because he's trying to make lots of money when people think he has an obligation to make gamers happy.  

Tim Schafer: His obligation is to his shareholders. Well, he doesn't have to be as much of a dick about it, does he? I think there is a way he can do it without being a total prick. It seems like it would be possible. It's not something he's interested in. 

Eurogamer: Why should he care? 

Tim Schafer: Well, he makes a big deal about not liking games, and I just don't think that attitude is good for games in general. I don't think we're an industry of widgets. I don't think we can approach it like we approach bars of soap, where you're just trying to make the cheapest bar of soap." 

God I love that man.  
    You can read the full interview here.

DoctorOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By DoctorOptimist

Tim Schafer isn't afraid to say like it is, that's why he's one of the best writers and game designers currently in the industry, despite the fact that Brutal Legends was a grave disappointment.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Snipzor

That made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside... or it was the painkillers... nope, it was definitely Tim Schafer calling Bobby Kotick a prick. Or just reading the words of a wonderful and pleasant man. Okay, time to take another painkiller. 

If I weren't already in love, and if it were physically possible, I would give birth to that man's child. Probably not raise the damn thing, I hate babies.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers

Am I the only one who thinks that Bobby is the only person at Activision that doesn't know how to make money?

Mr_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mr_Skeleton
    @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    "Am I the only one who thinks that Bobby is the only person at Activision that doesn't know how to make money? "

In the short term he is making Activision rediculous amount of money but he is killing their franchises at the same time without investing in new ones, so in a few years (probably after after Call of Duty 11 and Guitar Hero 10) they wont have any big franchises people like (aside from the Blizzard games). And there is also the fact that he makes people hate working at Activision.
    Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Ace829
    @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    " Am I the only one who thinks that Bobby is the only person at Activision that doesn't know how to make money? "
    He knows how to make money out of a one-time hit really fast. But has some horrible long-term planning. By 2012 Call Of Duty and Guitar Hero will be the pile of bones formerly known as a dead horse.
    OhdK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By OhdK

Tim Schafer will always be my hero

Still, I do think that Kotick is an effective executive, and he knows business. Contrary to some of the other posters here, I do think that he can sustain Activision's sucess and not just "run franchises to the ground." (You have to remember that us gamers who keep up with industry news are in the minority of the usual game-playing audience). On the other hand, that's only if he decides to fix up his PR. He does such a poor job with his image that I'm sure it will backfire in some unexpected way--not sure how, but I'm guessing that he'll alienate developers and drive them to take some harsh action. So, good businessman, but gotta improve his marketing.

Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Binman88

I hope more young people view the gaming industry like Schafer, rather than Kotick. An attitude like Kotick's adopted by a new generation would be the absolute worst thing to happen to gaming in the future.

JoshLarson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By JoshLarson

Kotick doesn't just need to improve his image, he needs a fundamental readjustment to his core thinking from all of the terrible quotes that have been attributed to him. No amount of Dan Amrich trying furiously to spin Kotick's honest opinions into something remotely sympathetic will make a difference in the long run if Bobby Kotick doesn't want to change his greasy ways.
    Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By Jeust

Great article! 

But the best part for me (about Bobby Kotick) was: 

Eurogamer: He's too successful.

Tim Schafer: He could go to an industry that makes more money. Ball bearings... Something that suits his passions more. Weapons manufacturing?

Weapon manufacturing?! ahahaha I really can see Kotick doing it. :p   

There's something devilish about him...
     There's something devilish about him...
    sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#11  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

That's pretty awesome!.  Tim Schafer, you, sir, are the man.

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Pinworm45

I just want Bobby Kotick to get hit by a bus. 

Not even just because I have blind hatred for him. Don't get me wrong, I hate the guy, he's a douche. 

But I'm just sick of hearing about him. Every day he says something retarded and every day tons of people give their opinion on him, which is either that he's satan or that "DUDES HE'S JUST TRYING TO MAKE MONEY SO HES JUSTIFIED IN BEING AN ASSHOLE" 

I'm just sick of him. Get hit by a bus.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Jimbo
    @Pinworm45: He'd probably be fine, and get knocked down right next to a $50 note that somebody had dropped.
    mazik765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mazik765
    @W0lfbl1tzers said:
    " Am I the only one who thinks that Bobby is the only person at Activision that doesn't know how to make money? "
    I could not agree more. You'd think that bashing the industry you are trying to appeal to is incredibly counter-intuitive. Unless they come out with some new, well thought-out IP's their sales are going to burn in the next few years.
    Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
    deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I have a full on man crush on Tim Schafer.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.