Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Blacklist

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Aug 20, 2013

The sixth installment of the Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series and follows the events after Splinter Cell: Conviction.

Ghost Play Through Video

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By salarn

Unlike the previous video that showed the 'panther' player style that involved a lot of noise, killing, and explosions. This play through video shows the 'ghost' play through of the same 'E3' demo.

Hopefully this well relieve some concerns that Splinter Cell Blacklist won't let players play the way they want to.

Please don't forget that this is still all pre-alpha footage so lots of things will be tuned and improved.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Sackmanjones
    @Salarn Can you give a bit more description? Won't be able to watch till later but I'm guessing it's totally stealth so everyone can stop shitting themselves.
    Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jack268

Maybe you should flesh out the post or wise people will come in here and tell you it's youtube spam.

Either way, this video honestly seems to promote killing over non-lethality. The guy narrating it straight up says you're missing out if you're not killing people.

blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By blueduck

I liked it.

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By salarn

@Sackmanjones: Correct, it emphasizes stealth this time.

ThePaleKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ThePaleKing

Looks ok. But what stood out most was how fucking unnatural that cliff ledge looked. The whole cliff in general, actually, it's all sharp corners...

DJJoeJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#7  Edited By DJJoeJoe

I really dug Conviction and how it seemed to bring in some of the tone of a borne style combat to the game, after all I do think it fits with the character that Sam should be 'that' type of guy, whether you like being forced to do that or not.

This video seems to just be kinda mean, offering almost no improvements to stealth gameplay and instead showing off how 'less-than' the stealth gameplay is right now in the game. Even with the not yet added stealth takedowns it seems like ALL the work done is on the action side of things, even the areas look SO FUCKIN' BORING to traverse as stealth, also they look really sloppily designed for that sort of thing.. that 'cliff' looks like something from an other generation. Perfect width on some really abstract ridge looks fucking terrible and so video gamey. Why can't they take the same approach from the action side of things and use it on the stealth things too. It's hard work but this IS a stealth game, at least it was and that's part of the reason it's an interesting set of games, there are tons of other third person action games out there.

I mean... the guy fuckin' puts a picture in picture of the previously shown demo just incase the stealth is 'not enough' for your short attention span. I don't get this adittude from people that you have to show action, and that stealth is boring and no one wants to see it. While that may be true in some sense and while Splinter Cell actually does have some cool action stuff, there are so many games doing this shit it's disgusting. What's the point of making a trailer that shows aspects that no one cares about.. only a specific type of person watches video game trailers and they wanna see the video game, not an explosion fest geared towards whatever the fuck market likes explosions in ALL things all the time. Seems like the worst thing to do as you end up just releasing yet another trailer later showing the game is the game and not what you previously showed etc (see all video games, more specifically see hitman). Don't worry you can totally just shoot faces, is not the way to sell all video games and I think some marketing people need to understand they have to put some work into marketing games on the game's terms and not the terms of demographics charts and graphs.

I like the action stuffs, this video just seems really stupid to me and they should wait until they put the stealth into the game before showing it off. The guys 'dude-bro' inflection of his voice didn't help either.

Also... dogs aren't fun. :(

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By AssInAss

It's encouraging, but of course you can ghost if you have brain dead AI. If like Dishonored, they flat out said the whole game can be finished without killing anyone, I'd be interested again.

The stealth options don't look fun. Ghosting was fun in previous games because of the gadgets and challenging AI that made navigating the level a tense exercise.

Avatar image for stealthmaster86
    Stealthmaster86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Stealthmaster86

@Salarn said:

Unlike the previous video that showed the 'panther' player style that involved a lot of noise, killing, and explosions.

That was actually the Action style. They haven't shown the Panther style yet.

I KNEW this was coming and I'm glad it was worth the wait. Obviously, there is still work to be done in terms of AI and animation, but if they fix it up, I'm sure that we will have a very good game in our hands.

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By salarn

@Stealthmaster86:

'Panther' is the name used around here, but To-may-to vs To-mah-to until the game actually ships.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By NTM

Yeah, it seems great to me. It's basically keeping the great gameplay of Conviction, but adding what the original Splinter Cells could do, like hiding bodies.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By falserelic

He killed them so smoothly to smooth.

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By AhmadMetallic

Luckily Splinter Cell is one of the franchises I missed out on in the past, so I'm not gonna get my panties in a twist about them "ruining" it in any way, I'll just enjoy this streamlined flashy game.

@Jack268 said:

Either way, this video honestly seems to promote killing over non-lethality. The guy narrating it straight up says you're missing out if you're not killing people.

Haha, "here's the awesome pew pew you missed out on by insisting to be a sissy ninja!"

IceColdGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By IceColdGamer

@Jack268 said:

Maybe you should flesh out the post or wise people will come in here and tell you it's youtube spam.

A lot of the non-lethality movements haven't been put into the Alpha demonstration models.

yinstarrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By yinstarrunner

The ability to be stealthy means fuck-all if you can blast 7 dudes with ease if you get caught.

There needs to be tension there, and I'm not talking about meta-style "Oh, I might not get an achievement if I get seen." Combat should be something to be avoided whenever possible, because combat takes control of pacing away from the player; it's a wild card that more often than not could end terribly for the character. This is basic stealth design that I feel even the latest Deus Ex game got right.

Not being able to "play the way you want to" is not my problem with Splinter Cell: Blacklist. Rather, it's a series of design decisions that seem to further dissipate the rewarding qualities a good stealth game should have. You should feel like a total badass for sneaking through an enemy complex without alerting anyone, but what's the point if you could easily kill them if you got caught? In a stealth game, "Stealth" should not feel like an "alternate route", it should feel like the utmost priority.

I understand that some people didn't like the old style of splinter cell games, they think they're all "trial and error" (as if that term deserves all the negative connotations it's burdened with) and less "moving puzzle box". And that's fine. Not every game has to be for everyone. If people want to play third-person shooters there are plenty of them out there to choose from. Stop ruining Splinter Cell, Ubisoft.

Lysergica33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lysergica33

Can't say I'll be buying this. It's so very clear that they'd prefer you to go in guns blazing, plus there's the change in Sam's voice actor and whatever batshit narrative conceit they end up using to justify it. It all stinks of a game that shouldn't have been made in the first place. It's okay to put a series to rest, they could've called this something else and kept the Tom Clancy name and I'd find it a lot less repugnant on the whole. I still wouldn't play it, since it looks mindless as all hell but at least it wouldn't be masquerading as a Splinter Cell game.

Also the homogenization of Ubisoft's gameplay mechanics is worrying. Assassin's Creed style building climbing, the mark and kill procedure that's shared with Rainbow Six, the Ghost Recon: Future Soldier wallhack gadgets (another weird trend for another discussion) ....

Ugh.

Ah well, at least the first and third games in the series are both masterworks. I could replay both of those games 'til the end of days.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.