Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tomb Raider

Game » consists of 22 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

A young and inexperienced Lara Croft is shipwrecked on a mysterious island in this reboot of the beloved action adventure franchise, which departs from the mood of prior games in the series.

PS3 vs PS4 comparisions

• 107 results
    musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

So IGN posted a bunch of comparison screens and a video detailing all of the changes and my god man. I dare say that this looks better than the PC version even. I've been going back and forth on if I want to bother with this but it just looks too damn pretty and it was one of the better games I played last year anyways so why the hell not! The most noticible thing is the improvement on Lara's facial structure. She looks well... like a human now instead of a video game character.

No Caption Provided

Its not just Lara's face and character model textures either. They added physics to the objects on lara as well as new lighting effects like sub-surface scattering and blew out all the textures on the world around her to 4 times larger than they were on the last generation version. So, anyone else up for buying this?

No Caption Provided

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Spoonman671

Once was enough for me.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I dunno, I didn't feel like spending $60 on it last year, and I don't know that I feel like spending $60 on it now, especially when I'm still not sold on it actually looking better than the PC version, even if you might be.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
    colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

How does it look better than PC?

Everything except for the Lara character model looks the same if not better on PC and I seriously would hope that character model would look better than PC if they went out of their way to to recreate it for the new consoles.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By musubi

Everything except for the Lara character model looks the same if not better on PC and I seriously would hope that character model would look better than PC if they went out of their way to to recreate it for the new consoles.

Because they built it from the ground up for next gen. The PC got a slightly higher res port of the console version and while it looked better it was still based on THAT version.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Justin258

@mooseymcman said:

I dunno, I didn't feel like spending $60 on it last year, and I don't know that I feel like spending $60 on it now, especially when I'm still not sold on it actually looking better than the PC version, even if you might be.

As someone who was well-prepared to say that it doesn't look better than the PC version...

...it looks about on par with the PC version. Some things are "maybe better." They did say they have done a bit of work here and there, but a lot of these features were already in the PC version. If it does look better, it's only slightly, and only in ways that you would have to be paying attention to see.

Has anyone said anything about running at 60 frames per second? Tomb Raider is head and shoulders (HA!) above Uncharted and I imagine part of that is the feel of the controls on the PC version, at least for me. This version ought to be running at a much higher and more solid framerate.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lara got a tan!

Strife777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks much better. I was thinking about getting it again, but I'll wait for a price drop. 60$ is too much to pay for a game I've already finished entirely.

Avatar image for awesomeusername
    awesomeusername

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Maybe for $20. No way I'll pay $60 for the most overrated game of 2013. (That's my opinion.)

But that hair! Dem eyebrows! So real!

TresFX eyebrows confirmed.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Oh hey, they really did change her face. Looks like a different person. Weird. Lighting looks a bit better and some of the added effects look great.

Zero interest in playing it again though, and if I did I'd just play the one I have. Cool for anyone who missed it I guess. It's a good game!

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie said:

Because they built it from the ground up for next gen. The PC got a slightly higher res port of the console version and while it looked better it was still based on THAT version.

Built from the ground up huh? Sounds more like marketing spin.

No Caption Provided

I'm thumbing through my screenshots of the game and I'm having a tough time distinguishing from even the character models, never mind the environments. The new character model does look better but barely, I sure hope they aren't charging full price for this cash in.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

My game of the year, but I can wait for a price drop.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@believer258: My biggest problem is still that it's being released for $60, and I could probably find a copy of the (obviously graphically inferior) last gen version in a store for much less, never mind that it's on sale on PSN about every other week for $15 or something in that range. Obviously the people that worked on the game need to be paid, and I'm sure they put in hard work to get this new version working, but aside from the graphics, I'm going to go ahead and say it's the same game. Sure, a better frame rate would improve game play, but not enough to justify paying that much more for a game I'm already only sort of interested in.

But then again, there's not really much to play on my PS4...

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By colourful_hippie

@bigjeffrey: I guess Square Enix gots to make whatever money they can get out of a multi-million copy selling bust.

But then again, there's not really much to play on my PS4...

Someone at Square just did a fist pump

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ezekiel

@spoonman671 said:

Once was enough for me.

Once should have been enough for me. The other times were boring, but I did like finding all the collectables later. Hopefully the sequel will be better than this mediocre game.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played it when it first came out so, sure, I'll check it out now that it looks so much better.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

@colourful_hippie said:

No Caption Provided

I'm thumbing through my screenshots of the game and I'm having a tough time distinguishing from even the character models, never mind the environments. The new character model does look better but barely, I sure hope they aren't charging full price for this cash in.

Well we'll have to beg to differ on that on both accounts. I think it looks vastly better which is the reason I'm not going to feel bad about paying $60 again. They actually put real work into this. Its just not a gussied up port from last gen. But hey, I'm also one of the few people that think that Tomb Raider is better than all of the Uncharted games.

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By colourful_hippie

@demoskinos:

No Caption Provided

Vastly better? C'mon man, it's cool to want to play this on next gen consoles but there's no need to buy into the hyperbole that Square is putting out there over the graphics, but whatever it's your money.

Also I have no idea what the perceived qualities of this game compared to Uncharted have to do with anything.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: I seriously don't see how you watch that video and say its a small change. There's no hyperbole they show everything off in that video. Its night and day better.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

I'm definitely impressed but I'm not spending $60 for a graphical boost.

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Like everyone has said, I didn't buy it last year so I'll wait to buy it this year. Around $30 sounds about right for the PS4 version. It will probably be around that price….May? June? I got so many other games to play right now I can certainly wait.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

i definitely see a difference, the whole thing just looks a bit more atmospheric to me. dunno whether that'll get me to buy it but hey, who knows

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By colourful_hippie

@demoskinos: Just finished watching and I don't know how you say the difference is vast.

The biggest difference that I notice from the PC version are the particle effects and some lighting techniques that are unique to the new consoles. They help to make the environments look better but the actual environments (without any effects) themselves still look the same as I've seen them on PC. That plus the addition of physics on certain small objects all sound like the kind of bells and whistles you put on something that you're desperately trying to justify selling at full price.

Maybe this would be blowing me away more if I never played the PC version and only messed with the old console versions.

EDIT: As for "night and day" change. I would hope so considering that the versions that are compared are the PS3 and PS4 versions.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I'd protect her.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By csl316

@demoskinos: I agree with the Uncharted thing. And for a console player, it's a heck of an upgrade. This is fine for a lot of people, I don't get why people are hating on it. They're not just farting out a lazy port.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

huh, interesting.

I have say looks like one of those horrible make up mods you see in Skyrim or HL2. She's again suppose to be this lone survivor. So less on the eye shadows and more scars. Maybe they are using assets from the Square pre rendered visuals? And there's also the concept art photo she finds on the ship that doesn't look like her in the game.

They need to make a better design model of her like something closer to Borderlands or Mad Max to fit the game's story.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: And I'm fine with that especially considering all the DLC is on the disc as well. But I guess shame on me for being excited about something and wanting to share it. =|

colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@colourful_hippie: And I'm fine with that especially considering all the DLC is on the disc as well. But I guess shame on me for being excited about something and wanting to share it. =|

You said it, not me.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still never got around to playing it, so I may give this a shot? We will see.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

I'm not gonna be paying full price again for the same game. If you haven't played this yet and I guess wanna get the best version possible by all means grab it when it comes out. It's a really good game. But for someone who has already played the game I'll pass for now.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Ezekiel

@sackmanjones said:

I'm not gonna be paying full price again for the same game. If you haven't played this yet and I guess wanna get the best version possible by all means grab it when it comes out. It's a really good game. But for someone who has already played the game I'll pass for now.

To me the best version is the one with mouse and keyboard support. Minor graphical improvements are not as important as gameplay.

heathhuston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By heathhuston

I really enjoyed this game when I first played it on 360 for $30, but it literally never went back in the tray after I beat it once, which is rare for me. Still I might grab a PS4 version when its around half price too. Actually I'd be willing to bet that same 30 that this will be on PS+ by around fall of this year.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@demoskinos said:

@colourful_hippie said:

No Caption Provided

Think that sticks out to me the most here is that there is still massively noticeable faceting on her bag strap and finger tip, which means that the engine really isn't dialed up as high as they're letting on (a decent level of tessellation would make that surface completely round).

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll buy it again I fucking love this game

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
    deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had no interest in playing the game last year on PS3, and I have no interest in playing it this year on PS4.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@soapy86 said:

I had no interest in playing the game last year on PS3, and I have no interest in playing it this year on PS4.

Indeed. I'll wait for male Uncharted with Naughty Dog knocking my socks off in the visual department once again.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By thebunnyhunter

It doesnt look much better than what i played on pc but i never knew that Laura on the old consoles looks like a god damn monster, or maybe its just an unflattering shot

I would just like to say that it is I who is the real monster here, I should of never of added that "U". I am seeking help for this problem of mine and hope, that in time, you will be able to forgive me for the wrongs i have committed today.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By hatking

Am I weird for kind of preferring her old look? She looked more rough. You know, like somebody who'd be trapped on an island without food or water for an unspecified amount of time. Regardless, it's a great game. Definitely worth playing if you haven't. And if you missed it before, and you have access to this, you might as well grab it. Maybe once I get my hands on a PS4 I'll be up for replaying it again.

Edit: I just watched the video, and on second thought, I'm totally ready to play through this again.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebunnyhunter: C'mon man. LARA not Laura. Ahhhhh. It drives me insane when people insert a letter into her name that isn't even there.

laserguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

its gonna be free for plus. Wait.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Steadying

Was really not digging the way Lara looked in the first trailer, but she seems pretty fine in these screenshots. Still not gonna buy it a second time, though.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Here are my thoughts on the whole situation.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-57d3a53d23027
    deactivated-57d3a53d23027

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Uncharted looks at-least as good as the PS4 version of this :). Except for the crossbow part.

Recently I played "Remember Me" and then AC4. The drop in graphical fidelity was quite a shock, but understandable due to the difference in number of on-screen objects and draw distance required for each game.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

The end result will be minor but he went into a lot of details as to how it will be better. The new particle system and the higher resolution textures will be what stand out. Compared to PC the jump won't be huge and the PC will still have the edge on resolution but the PS4/X1 versions (is there an X1 version? Whatever) will have added little details here and there that will add up...slightly.

BurBan_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer the old character model. They made her look weird as fuck with this new one.

(The old model, on PC)

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Ezekiel

I prefer the old character model. They made her look weird as fuck with this new one.

(The old model, on PC)

I prefer the concept art. She doesn't look good to me in either game.

PhilipDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looks a bit better... I'm still getting it again just for something new to play on the Ps4.. It's only £37 in the UK rather than the £55 every other game is.

andmm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By andmm

Did that guy just said pc was last gen? lol

ShadyPingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ShadyPingu

Lara looks weird now... But whatever! We all know last-gen Lara is canon!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.