Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jul 18, 2012

Return to skateboarding game roots in this high-definition remake of the earliest games from the Tony Hawk's Pro Skater series.

Mixed thoughts...

BrainSonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BrainSonata

I'm not sure what I make of Tony Hawk HD... Whilst I approve of the nostalgia trip I feel like they've been incredibly fucking lazy. I'd have loved THPS 1-4 as a collection with improved graphics. Or even one game based off say 3 or 4 with all the levels from 1-4 with a soundtrack based off all the best tracks from 1-4 too but I guess they can't please everyone?

I also feel like creating a HD collection at this point in the console life cycle is a bit silly, I predict HD collections of HD collections next gen! What are your impressions of the game so far?

dystonym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By dystonym

It plays more like the original Pro Skater games than I expected it to, so that's ok in my book. It's a little light on content, particularly on skaters, but that's ok because my avatar looks stupid as hell riding a skateboard so that's what I decided to use.

I don't know if this was in the original, but was career progress on a per-skater basis? on this one all of your objectives and stuff are reset if you switch skaters which is annoying as hell because it doesn't let me play around with stuff as much as I want to.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Bell_End

how much does it cost?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By musubi

I think I'm mostly in the "like it" camp. There are some little quirks that I dunno if its just that is how the original's controlled and I'm used to the later games in the series or what but it feels a bit "off" in some ways I can't really put to words. Its still fine... i'm adapting to all the little quirks and having fun however. I also REALLY like that they not only have a gap list but show exactly HOW to do all the gaps. Beats trying to look at multiple THPS and THPS2 FAQ's trying to figure out where all the gaps are come time I settle in for a attempting to unlock Officer Dick.

BrainSonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BrainSonata
    @Bell_End

how much does it cost?

1200MS for 7 levels and 14 tracks, only 7 of which are from the old games. If it was 800 I'd be a little happier.
    BrainSonata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BrainSonata
    @BrainSonata
    @Bell_End

how much does it cost?

1200MS for 7 levels and 14 tracks, only 7 of which are from the old games. If it was 800 I'd be a little happier.
    By tracks I mean music.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By napalm

I'm not really interested in going back in the series in terms of mechanics. I accepted the barebones mechanics at the time because that's all they came up with, but as they added more, it only became better.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#8  Edited By bibamatt

@Murdouken said:

I don't know if this was in the original, but was career progress on a per-skater basis?

Yeah, that's how it worked in the original.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By RazielCuts

I'm waiting for the PSN version as I played all the other Pro Skaters on PS1/PS2, got to have that Dpad. From the QL it looks competent, not mind blowing but okay, I'll be getting it just because I love the old series. Looks like all extras will be in the form of DLC though..

Maajin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Maajin
    I predict HD collections of HD collections next gen!

Don't think that's gonna happen because the whole thing about HD re-releases is, well, putting them in HD.

artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By artgarcrunkle

I'm surprised that Activision would release a half-hearted cash in.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By Ben_H
    @Murdouken said:

I don't know if this was in the original, but was career progress on a per-skater basis? on this one all of your objectives and stuff are reset if you switch skaters which is annoying as hell because it doesn't let me play around with stuff as much as I want to.

Yeah they kinda had to have it on a per-skater basis because otherwise you would finish the game too fast. You could finish the original THPS in about an hour to an hour and a half if you have all the spots memorized. I played through it a couple months back and finished it in an hour and 40 minutes while not remembering where some of the stuff was. 

I was gonna get this collection but I think I'll just go back and play THPS3 and 4 again.
    alistercat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 27

#13  Edited By alistercat

It feels and looks good. I'm enjoying it.

Avatar image for baconandwaffles
    baconandwaffles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By baconandwaffles

Is it worth the money? I think so, but I have never been that price sensitive to games under $20. YMMV...

I am thoroughly enjoying this re-make. I would certainly like more levels and skaters (no Bob Burnquist?!?), but by most accounts there will be more coming. It scratches an itch I didn't know I had and has given me some serious flash backs to college when I spent way too much time playing Tony Hawk.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#15  Edited By pyromagnestir

I've been progressively more and more bummed out with what I've learned about this game. I finally snapped and just dug out my old copy of THPS and bought a copy of THPS2, instead. I'll buy this game when it's on sale.

But laziness is not the problem, in my opinion. The problem seems to be Tony Hawk's idea of what a remake should be is different than what I think many of us had in mind. We (well, I anyway) wanted old levels, old skaters, old soundtrack, but with new pretty graphics, and he wanted just the core mechanics and some levels, but an updated everything else.

RIDEBIRD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By RIDEBIRD

I want dat revert. Also waiting for PC version.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By aurahack

It's $15, has online pay, some of my favorite levels (though an admittedly short list of levels), has two goal modes for each level, and plays like classic Tony Hawk. I'm satisfied, because I expected it to be a small package. I think a lot people are coming at this wrong, expecting some kind of crazy repackage like a God of War Collection or something. It's a cheap, downloadable game, y'all.

ComradeKhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By ComradeKhan
    @Demoskinos said:

it feels a bit "off"

This
    Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I think people need to learn the difference between a collection and a remake. People acting like all they did was upload some old assets into a magical machine and press three buttons, not that they rebuilt levels using old designs.

I find the 7 level thing hilarious considering the old Tony Hawks were 10 levels for 50+.

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#20  Edited By MightyDuck

I was thinking of picking this up when it hits PSN...but I could just dig out my copy of Tony Hawk 2 and play that for free. Well see...playing graffiti online looks like it could be fun.

Deusx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Deusx

It´s only $15 man. It feels like old Tony Hawk games, that´s enough for me.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#22  Edited By Hunter5024

Watching the quicklook really made me want to play some tony hawk but I won't actually have any of the nostalgia for this game because I only played Tony Hawk 3 and 4. Maybe I should pick up one of the games that came after that but I heard those got completely stupid.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By aurahack

@Hunter5024: Tony Hawk's Underground is legitimately awesome. The idea of a story in a Tony Hawk game sounds retarded but it's seriously great. It's a little dumb (the good kind) and well worth seeing.

Don't play Underground 2, though. For the love of god, avoid it at all cost.

Joe_Wildheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Joe_Wildheart

I've been playing this for a couple of hours and I like it but it's the controls that seem to be hindering me at the minute. I bet the PS3 D-Pad will work a lot better than the 360 controls. Also for 1200 points it seems a bit light on content. But other than that it's really cool and can't wait for the THPS3 DLC

rmanthorp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#25  Edited By rmanthorp  Moderator

@ComradeKhan said:

@Demoskinos said:

it feels a bit "off"

This

Yep. I was playing 1 and 2 in preparation just yesterday and there is something just not right.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By musubi

@rmanthorp said:

@ComradeKhan said:

@Demoskinos said:

it feels a bit "off"

This

Yep. I was playing 1 and 2 in preparation just yesterday and there is something just not right.

I just "finished" the game with one Skater 100% just now. After a few levels you kind of get used to the controls and they become less of an issue but I did find that this game needs some tweaks I found stuff like the grind detection on some of the rails in Downhill Jam is off and if you don't get completely above the rail you'll grind the rail but with your board like sunk in the rail which causes you to bail whenever you try to ollie out. There are some other things like skipped frames causing for really jerky moments some times and 30fps that can't even seem to stay at 30fps all the time. Overall I think an 8/10 is appropriate for the game. There are only 7 levels but even after you 100% a campaign with someone you unlock a harder set of "Projectives" that you can try to accomplish. So plenty to "do" as long as the levels don't end up boring you. I think its worth the $15 by far and people being put off by it initially really should let it give it a chance to grow on them.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By laserbolts

Will wait for inevitable sale. Just not enough content here.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By musubi

@laserbolts: What would qualify as "enough content" then? Because I've been playing nearly all day since 9am minus a few breaks to run errands and lunch and whatnot and I just now finished the game 100% with one skater and that is just the regular career as there is a second career mode for every skater. As well as 3 or so other offline modes and online. There seems plenty to do to me.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By laserbolts

@Demoskinos: hmm I did word that wrong better selection of content? They could have put some better maps in the game than what they did and the skaters included aren't what I want. Where's Bucky? This is opinion of course.

lameimpala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By lameimpala

I've only played the demo, no money right now (by the way, it doesn't even let you finish a two minute run! fades to black after 1:30) - does anyone with the full game think the ollies are a little too floaty? I don't want the hyper-realism of Skate, but I feel like every jump has you hanging in the air for waaaaaay too long, even for a Tony Hawk game.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By Hunter5024

@aurahack said:

@Hunter5024: Tony Hawk's Underground is legitimately awesome. The idea of a story in a Tony Hawk game sounds retarded but it's seriously great. It's a little dumb (the good kind) and well worth seeing.

Well I got it on Amazon for 5 bucks. Lets see if it still holds up!

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By aurahack

@Hunter5024: It's arguably the best playing of all games in the series. The mechanics were so fine-tuned by then that it's one of the most flawlessly controlling games ever. I hope you have fun with it! :D

Avatar image for taliciadragonsong
    TaliciaDragonsong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

It looks fun for sure, but I'm a little burned out on these remixes, hd collections and remakes.

Its sad when it seems companies have accepted they can't top their previous games (with a shitload of forced mechanics or publisher pushed nonsense) so they resort to this.
    Sure that's a little generalising but its my reason for not paying (so much) for it, been there, seen that.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By williamhenry

The animation and character movement is awful. I've never understood how a game that Tony Hawk is so involved with can get trick animations that are so awful and just flat out wrong. How did he never step in and say "look guys, that trick doesn't look like that."

serpentenema

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By serpentenema

Hearing "No Cigar" in the quick look brought back good memories, but I will probably wait for the psn release. And is their still skate videos when you do career mode?

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By SmilingPig

The problem is more one of storage than one of cost, 15$ for that it’s a decent price but those two gig's are premium space on most 360 by now. I hope that the new consoles will have 1 terragig or a more affordable HDD upgrade system.

JazGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By JazGalaxy

The problem with the latter Tony Hawk games was feature creep. They added one or two new features each game until eventually the game was, from a design perspective, a complete mess.

So now they go back in time to clean up the gameplay and everyone is whining about what little thing they miss. I feel like this game was designed to rewind the clock on the franchise and re-establish the gameplay before they expand on it again with a new release.

I think a lot of people are complaining about things that are irrelevant, or were part of the problem of why the new games universally sucked. It's like when people keep crying for bloated fighting games that include "their character" and then wonder why nobody is getting into them any more.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#38  Edited By breadfan

I was pretty pumped for the game to come out. Played the trial version for a few minutes and realized it was all nostalgia. I think I'm going to pass on the game, for now at least.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By AcidBrandon18

It has the Big Air Mechanic. So it sucks.

Peanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Peanut

@SmilingPig said:

The problem is more one of storage than one of cost, 15$ for that it’s a decent price but those two gig's are premium space on most 360 by now. I hope that the new consoles will have 1 terragig or a more affordable HDD upgrade system.

lawl...huh? It's like 430-something megs.

williamhenry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By williamhenry

I kind of actively hate projective mode. The 1 minute time limit just feels incredibly forced. They couldn't make the objectives any harder, so they just give you less time to complete them. That doesn't make the game challenging, it makes it frustrating. Maybe if the controls were tighter it would be fine, but I feel like I'm having to retry levels more than I should because of the controls and shorter time limit.

SmilingPig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SmilingPig

@Peanut said:

@SmilingPig said:

lawl...huh? It's like 430-something megs.

Really...odd!

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By Jams

@Hunter5024 said:

@aurahack said:

Well I got it on Amazon for 5 bucks. Lets see if it still holds up!

Sweet, I just did the same. Thanks for mentioning it! I really thought THUG was a great addition in the series. I remember really wanting the ability to get off the board and they finally delivered it.

piyakhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By piyakhan

Hello,I'm Waiting for pc new version.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.