Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Trials Evolution

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Apr 18, 2012

The follow up to the best-selling hit Trials HD, Trials Evolution takes motorcycle platforming to a whole new level of ridiculousness.

warning about Trials Evolution Gold Edition (PC) purchase

lamzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By lamzor

i bought this game, because it looked like fun. i have seen so much gameplay here on GB.com. unfortunately the game can run only on 60fps(max). when your FPS drops to 50-55FPS(even for 0.5sec) it has weird shuttering or slowdown. im very sensitive to things like this. worse is that redlynx will not even comment on this problem(i guess its core problem that cannot be fixed) even when there are many topics about this problem.

also, multiplayer is still not working(it was possibly fixed today - again). the issues were so annoying that i had to request refund(first time in my life) and thankfully steam refunded me just now.

long story short, think twice about this purchase. my pc is c2q with radeon hd6950 and i had slowdown/shutter problem, because sometimes my FPS drops under (max) 60fps.

edit: of course(and unfortunately) turning vsync off was first thing i have done and it did not help at all. i was stupid enough and bought this game without checking forums. because this problem was reported since first beta and it was all over steam/redlynx forum.

edit2: game is using Uplay. if you start the game in steam, only uplay client is started. you need to press play there. i had some minor problems, when uplay didnt recognize that i own this game and i was not able to start the game. i had to restart uplay several times.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

That sounds like a triple buffering / vsync issue. Does this persist if you turn vsync off?

Unfortunately weird dropped frames are a problem for a lot of PC games out there. I notice em a lot more since I´ve made the switch to a hd7950.

szlifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is just a horrible port and it will be used as a prime example of how a bad port can completely ruin a great game.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Jams

That sounds like a triple buffering / vsync issue. Does this persist if you turn vsync off?

Unfortunately weird dropped frames are a problem for a lot of PC games out there. I notice em a lot more since I´ve made the switch to a hd7950.

Yeah, sounds like a vsync problem. Turning it off should fix that.

superfriend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By superfriend

@jams said:

@superfriend said:

Yeah, sounds like a vsync problem. Turning it off should fix that.

Additionally, if you want to have vsync, you should turn it off ingame and get a little program called "D3DOverrider". That can actually force Triple Buffering (and vsync) on for a lot of games. Without it, a lot of games´ vsync just makes em drop the framerate down to 30 whenever it goes below 60, which is a very unpleasant effect.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It also uses Uplay instead of Steam for friends which should be on the warning label, too IMO.

BoS_Tobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BoS_Tobe

@ravenlight: Yeah I totally agree. Uplay is worthless like Origin.

I bought trails evolution mainly after watching Brad play and get destroyed by some tracks. It runs exactly at 60 FPS for me and I don't get any shuttering or framedrop. I am running it on a GTX 660TI with V-sync disabled.

Now I just need to figure out how to not wreck or get into the controller tossing mood after running a track flawless and wrecking at the end.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShaggE

It's playable for me even when it slows down, but I can imagine it being a deal-breaker if you have any aspirations of actually being good at the game. Shame, since having HD and Evolution in one game is great.

Of course, if turning off Vsync helps, then my point is moot.

lamzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes in most games turning off vsync helps with overall FPS. but in most games 50fps is very playable, even 30fps is OK for some kind of games. problem here is that if FPS drops even by 5, from 60 to 55 there is weird shuttering/laging. this "slow downs" are extremly annoying when playing precision game like trials.

Sackmanjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Sackmanjones

I was considering picking this up. I guess Ill wait for a steam sale instead.

Avatar image for detectivespecial
    DetectiveSpecial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm running it fine on a 660 ti, but I do think that this type of game should be able to run well on much less powerful hardware. That seems to be crappy optimization on the part of RedLynx.

Also, I truly hope for a day when Steam (and therefore Valve) put their foot down and say that if developers want their game sold through Steam, it has to boot directly out of Steam and not a third party service - at the very least to make Big Picture mode a viable option. I don't like having to open two programs just to be able to open a third.

expensiveham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By expensiveham

I'm running it fine on a 660 ti, but I do think that this type of game should be able to run well on much less powerful hardware. That seems to be crappy optimization on the part of RedLynx.

Also, I truly hope for a day when Steam (and therefore Valve) put their foot down and say that if developers want their game sold through Steam, it has to boot directly out of Steam and not a third party service - at the very least to make Big Picture mode a viable option. I don't like having to open two programs just to be able to open a third.

I am assuming this works like Far Cry 3 works on steam. When you launch the game via steam a uplay window pops up and you're able to launch the game. I don't see the problem with that even though i find it kind of annoying and useless.

returnofjake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Just wondering, have there been any updates to the game to fix any of these problems?

HeadNodShy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

With it being on sale for a couple more hours now on Steam, I was interested in picking it up. Have the issues been fixed in the last couple months?

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@headnodshy: it works for me fine but you may have some shitty uplay problems

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole shuttering/slowdown happened quite a lot on the Xbox 360, so I wouldn't notch it for being a "bad port" when the problem already existed.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Console gaming wins again

Rubyeye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just snagged this and keep dropping form Uplay in MP and SP. It's so frustrating that a good game is marred by a useless platform.

bhlaab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 15

I picked this up in the summer sale. so far the framerate has been decent (with loading jitters sometimes that eventually smooth out) so long as I keep the advanced graphics option off.

But what's really pissing me off is that I'll be in the middle of a good run and then my fucking screensaver pops on. I mean, really? Really?? Is there any way to fix this short of manually disabling my screensaver when I start playing and then re-enabling it when I'm done?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

@bhlaab said:

I picked this up in the summer sale. so far the framerate has been decent (with loading jitters sometimes that eventually smooth out) so long as I keep the advanced graphics option off.

But what's really pissing me off is that I'll be in the middle of a good run and then my fucking screensaver pops on. I mean, really? Really?? Is there any way to fix this short of manually disabling my screensaver when I start playing and then re-enabling it when I'm done?

Screensavers are so two thousand and late.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bhlaab: Turn off your screensaver? They are not necessary and you should just turn off your monitor when leaving your computer. A screensaver does not save power or prevent your monitor from burning out.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played the console version, but the track unlock progression is horribly tedious. Some of the tracks are hard enough just getting through them, let alone do it without any failures, especially the marathon-length tracks. I would have much rather preferred tracks get unlocked through completion.

They didn't even bother with Steam Achievements, so why should I care about getting gold?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.