Ultimate Body Blows developed and published in 1994 by Team 17 is a mixture of the preceding fighting games Body Blows and Body Blows Galactic.
All 22 characters and 12 fighting locations from the predecessors are now featured in one game. The control of the characters has been improved and a few special moves have been added for each player.
Another improvement is the Amiga CD32 controller with its many extra buttons which makes it easier to carry out the individual and special moves of the characters. Previously Body Blows and Body Blows Galactic were played with the limitations of a Amiga joystick or even with a PC keyboard.
The backdrop and sprite graphics using the 256 colour palette are similar to the "Amiga 1200 AGA" / "PC VGA" graphics of Body Blows and to the "Amiga 1200 AGA" graphics of Body Blows Galactic.
Unfortunately the game uses the same sound samples and sound effects as the original games not exploiting the advantages and storage space offered by a CD.
But the endless floppy disk changes as found in the two preceding games thankfully disappeared due to the release of Ultimate Body Blows as one CD.
The game offers four distinct game modes:
- One-player game: Here you can choose one of 20 characters and fight 22 characters in your bid to become the "Ultimate Galactic Warrior".
- Two-player game: Single fight against a human opponent. Unfortunately you'll have to buy an extra CD32 joypad or joystick to play the two-player game properly.
- Tournament: 4 or 8 human players can compete in an knock-out tournament.
- Tag Team: This is a new option where two human players can pick up between 2 and 21 tag-members per team and fight in the "Tag-Team" mode against one another. When one character is defeated in a fight, he will get replaced with a new character and the winner of that fight gets half an energy bar replenished.
Several game options can be set in Ultimate Body Blows like the skill level of the CPU opponents(1=easy, 2=normal, 3=tough), rounds to fight(1 or 3 rounds) or time of a bout(60 or 90 seconds). A new game option is the Turbo-mode(1=fast, 2=very fast) to speed up the gameplay. Turbo 2 is practically impossible to play because you just can't follow the CPU opponents. But luckily you can turn off the Turbo-mode completely.
Minimum System Requirements
- Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8
- 1.8 GHz Processor
- 512 MB RAM (1 GB recommended)
- 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7 (compatible with DirectX 9 recommended
- 2 GB HDD