Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Do you think Uncharted 2 will sell as well as SONY needs it to?

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

I dont think anyones going to argue that the game wont be awesome, but do you think Uncharted 2 will sell millions like SONY needs it to, since this is its Blockbuster mega game this christmas? or will it be like the first and underperform in sales? I really hope it sells well.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Well most ps3 first party games under performs. However it should sell a bit over a million right away, it's not like halo or gears of war where they get a ton of millions right away. It's always a slow process, however I think uncharted 2 will probally sell better than other ps3 first party exclusives at least.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By LiquidPrince

I'm pretty sure it will. It's seems to be very anticipated by a lot of gamers.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mordukai

we'll see. 

belaraphon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By belaraphon

i hope it does. i really enjoyed the first uncharted and look forward to the second. as someone who bought as ps3 for other games besides uncharted, i have to admit, the first is quite awesome!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

I think it will sell a lot more then recent exclusives like Killzone 2, this game here seems like "The game to get" for PS3.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Well, have you seen alot of Uncharted 2 advertisement?
    Sony better fucking rev up because as much as I'll buy it at day one, 7 out of 10 of my friends have no idea what Uncharted even is.
    The ones who don't follow video games at all has seen that Halo thing and I get kinda dismayed when it seems that ODST has a bigger marketing push than Uncharted 2 has.

Sony needs to throw absolutely every advertising dollar they got at Uncharted 2/PS3 Slim For this season, because the non geek buzz about the game is virtually non existent.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8  Edited By bwooduhs

Even though i don't have a PS3(yet) i hope it does well. I've always liked Naughty Dog.

deadly_polo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By deadly_polo
    @TeflonBilly said:
    " Well, have you seen alot of Uncharted 2 advertisement? Sony better fucking rev up because as much as I'll buy it at day one, 7 out of 10 of my friends have no idea what Uncharted even is. The ones who don't follow video games at all has seen that Halo thing and I get kinda dismayed when it seems that ODST has a bigger marketing push than Uncharted 2 has.  Sony needs to throw absolutely every advertising dollar they got at Uncharted 2/PS3 Slim For this season, because the non geek buzz about the game is virtually non existent. "
    Actually here in the UK there are a lot of both PS3 Slim and Uncharted adverts on, but the problem is that people only just getting a PS3 are not intrested in Uncharted, they only care about MW2 (and they have no idea what it is).
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By pause422

No idea if it will sell as much as they need it to, however many copies that may be...but I would say undoubtedly it will destroy any other PS3 exclusives sales so far that they ever had before.

bulletclip6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bulletclip6

I'm sure enough will be sold to where Sony will at least be happy. I'm gettin it. I'm adding 1 to the several millions. They did just roll out the ps3/uncharted, It Only Does Everything commercial. So i'm sure that will be on tv through christmas.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ArchScabby

No, because Sony doesn't know how to advertise.  Look at Microsoft when Halo 3 came out, you couldn't walk ten steps without running into some kind of Halo ad, but for as much as the outside world knows, Uncharted doesn't even exist.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Diamond

I feel like games like Uncharted 2 are almost put out to sweeten the pot of PS3 exclusive titles.  It doesn't matter if the game only sells 1.5 million if 500K people buy a PS3 to get the game (and then buy other PS3 games).

calidan777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By calidan777

No because there just aren't as many PS3 owners that keep up with "gaming", and example would be that I have met a ton of folks who own PS3's and have never heard of MGS4.

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By demonbear

Uncharted 1 was awesome, i bought it, Uncharted 2 will be awesome, i'll buy it.

End of story.

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By willin

I don't think Uncharted will ever sell the amount that Sony WANTS it to.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Radar

Will it be a big success in the gamer crowd? Sure.
    Mainstream success ala Halo or anything Nintendo? No way. Nobody knows what a Nathan Drake is.

I'll happily be wrong. Naughty Dog are gods and are able to do things no one else in the industry can scratch the surface of. They deserve the success.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mordukai

I remember in one of his video blogs,  David Jaffe, talked about why he chooses to work with Sony and one of the points he talked about was that it's more important to Sony with you bring to the table then how many unites your game shipped. I know it does not mean that Sony don't care that their games sell well and Jaffe does like to talk a lot but they guy has been working for them for so long that he knows a thing or two about them. I think Uncharted 2 will sell very well. 

KingX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#19  Edited By KingX

how much must it sell so its as much as "sony needs"?
    I think it more important it seels as much as Naughty Dog needs at first, uncharted 2 won't really go out on the shelves helping selling millions of ps3 consoles BUT sony can be smart here and bundle Uncharted 2 along with the ps3 slim during christmas times - THAT would help, im sure, to sell "as much as sony needs" which is more consoles.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By oldschool
    @Radar said:
    " Will it be a big success in the gamer crowd? Sure. Mainstream success ala Halo or anything Nintendo? No way. Nobody knows what a Nathan Drake is.  I'll happily be wrong. Naughty Dog are gods and are able to do things no one else in the industry can scratch the surface of. They deserve the success. "
    I agree.  It lacks a name that connects with the wider audience.  Good games deserve to sell, but don't always do.
    Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21  Edited By Evilsbane

I think it will push 1.2million on its first couple of launch days.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By get2sammyb
    @TeflonBilly said:

" Well, have you seen alot of Uncharted 2 advertisement? Sony better fucking rev up because as much as I'll buy it at day one, 7 out of 10 of my friends have no idea what Uncharted even is. The ones who don't follow video games at all has seen that Halo thing and I get kinda dismayed when it seems that ODST has a bigger marketing push than Uncharted 2 has.  Sony needs to throw absolutely every advertising dollar they got at Uncharted 2/PS3 Slim For this season, because the non geek buzz about the game is virtually non existent. "

I agree. But I have seen a couple of ads here in the UK. They've definitely picked up the pace. But they're still pretty shit at marketing to be honest.

It's absolutely not going to do Halo/FIFA/etc numbers.

A lot of Sony's franchises have been slow burners to be honest. Killzone 2 went back into the charts at number 19 the other week. I expect you'll see Uncharted 1 go back into the charts next week too.

It's not going to do gangbusters but I expect a couple of million worldwide before the year is out. Surely?

I'm more worried about Ratchet & Clank to be honest. Well not worried. You know what I mean. It doesn't personally affect me. But I love the franchise and Insomniac and I'd like them to keep making games. So naturally I want them to stay in business. I'm just worried no one is talking about that game.
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23  Edited By CenturionCajun

I'm going to say by the end of the Holiday Season it'll easily sell over a million and go Greatest Hits. That's about as far as I'm willing to go. As has been stated while Uncharted is an awesome game the PS3 install base is too small at the moment, the Uncharted name is relatively unknown to casual consumers, and most importantly Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 is a humongous 800 pound gorilla in the room.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Scooper

Sony needs to make a big marketing and advertising push for this game. Show a bunch of gameplay and some of the stunning scenes and visuals and then at the end say "PS3 299.99 + Uncharted 2" and you'll sell alot of copies and get your system out there to more people. This game looks to be a 'system seller' for lack of a less PR word so I think it'll sell well. It won't sell Halo numbers but that's because alot of 13 year olds own the 360 and that game is made to appeal to those people. There's alot less people that own PS3s that can get their mommy to buy this game for them when it comes out.

tedbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By tedbear

Hi, Im Highstreet Joe.
    Whats an "Uncharted" ???

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By GunstarRed
    @get2sammyb:  
     yeah, I don't know what the hell sony are doing with R&C they seem to have abandoned it as a major release, I think I have seen more promotion for Heavy Rain in the last few months than for this game.
    @Scooper:
    ive seen a lot of tv ads for it already, sony totally get they need to promote it.... 

The question is pretty stupid though..will it sell enough copies sony NEEDS it to?  How many copies does Sony NEED to sell??  
    The game is good, It's a sequel, that means the first game must have sold a certain amount. I'm pretty certain that as long as it sells in similar numbers that will be fine for Sony. It doesnt have to be MW2 or GTA sized... Those games will and do already exist on the console.# 

nixium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By nixium

There is no way this is going to sell outside of the hard core audience. Its sad but probably true. I think we will see something that sells like Killzone 2. Not nearly as many nor the system seller that sony wants. To be fair though, the 299 price point seems to be selling the system nicely :D

Griddler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Griddler

I hope it will sell a few million. Michael Pachter has said he thinks it will sell around 300,000 PS3 bundles

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @TeflonBilly said:

I agree. Microsoft are GODS of marketing. Sometimes I wonder if Sony even has a marketing campaign for the Playstation. 
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Scooper
    @marioncobretti said:
    " @get2sammyb:   yeah, I don't know what the hell sony are doing with R&C they seem to have abandoned it as a major release, I think I have seen more promotion for Heavy Rain in the last few months than for this game. @Scooper: ive seen a lot of tv ads for it already, sony totally get they need to promote it....  The question is pretty stupid though..will it sell enough copies sony NEEDS it to?  How many copies does Sony NEED to sell??  The game is good, It's a sequel, that means the first game must have sold a certain amount. I'm pretty certain that as long as it sells in similar numbers that will be fine for Sony. It doesnt have to be MW2 or GTA sized... Those games will and do already exist on the console.#   "
    Oh ok, I was just going under the assumption they weren't because I haven't seen any ads on the web of it yet. I don't really watch TV unless it's BBC so I don't see ads on TV. It's nice to know they are putting the game out there.
    penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By penguindust

I think it will sell around two million over the course of it's lifetime.  I'm not sure if that is what "Sony needs", but it would still be very respectable for a single console release.

Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Otacon

It's being advertised a lot, I think it will sell well

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MeierTheRed

Time will tell.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By get2sammyb

They've been doing this whole build-up thing showing Drake on a train. I thought they'd be ramping the campaign up by now though. But sadly, it looks like this is going to be it.

At the end of the day though, we'll all probably pick it up on these forums right? So it's going to do fine. It may be restricted to just the hardcore, but it's still one of the most hyped games within our niche. If everyone who's shown interest in it end up buying it between now and Christmas, it'll do very well for itself indeed. :)

I expect to see over half my friends list playing the game come launch.

wavegoodbye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By wavegoodbye

I think the rise of the game will be a slow burn. A lot of the early promotion is really geared towards the hardcore fans (people like us who find all the info we can online in advance) like the cinema sneak previews and early giveaways. I think it's definitely who they want to capture first since we'll get things going by word of mouth. They'll probably kick it into gear after release and if they do have a PS3 Uncharted 2 bundle, I bet it'll be a big seller at Christmas. I still think Uncharted 2 will be huge.

Ket87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Ket87

Why is it that sony first party titles under perform so bad? They are always the strongest titles on the system yet they don't sell very well. Sony's piss poor marketing perhaps?

StarwindX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37  Edited By StarwindX9

I am sure it is an amazing game, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. I feel Sony has failed to really market their first party games. Without the ability to create a killer brand name appeal to your game, it is worthless. Look at Microsoft, they were able to charge 60 bucks to re sell halo to the fanboys. Oh well, the game is made and I will sure as hell enjoy my time with it.

Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Slippy

After one look at Sony's previous efforts: no. Even Killzone 2, a game which had a metric fuck-ton of hype, underperformed - with "over a million pre-orders" it barely scraped passed 1.5 million in a few months. Not a bad number, but then put in perspective how much money Sony pours into their first-party endevours, and the competition's sales numbers. Two weeks later Resident Evil 5 started on the road to 5 million sold.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.