Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

get2sammyb's Super Awesome Hype Threads Return: Uncharted 2

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

Shh folks. Quiet. I got something to say. Ahem. UNCHARTED 2: AMONG THIEVES IS NEARLY OUT. That means we officially, officially need a not-so famous get2sammyb Super Awesome Hype Thread to get the juices flowing for what's likely to be a blockbuster. Well not a blockbuster because it doesn't have Call Of Duty on the box - but a spiritual blockbuster. Because you know, the last one was friggin' amazing.

So here we go then;

GIANTBOMB Game Summary

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves follows up one of 2007's top exclusive PS3 games, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.  While not much is known about the game, a teaser trailer was debuted on December 1st, 2008, which reveals that the game will take place in a much colder setting rather than the tropical island from the original Uncharted. A new teaser was debuted on December 14th 2008 at the Spike TV 2008 Video Game Awards. It showed a bloodied and out of breath Drake trapped in a crashed train which was hanging off a cliff. Naughty Dog later confirmed that the teaser that was shown during the Spike Video Game Awards (VGA) was running in real-time using the in-game engine. During the teaser trailer that was shown during the VGAs, it was revealed that the game is set to be released in September of 2009.  

Trailers

Cast

Returning Characters

New Characters

Reviews

Playstation: The Official Magazine (US) - 5/5

A veritable master class of all-round game development. From a sensational single-player experience that never takes any short-cuts and maintains its story's mythological credibility right to the end to the co-operative online play to the robust, balanced, and just plain fun multiplayer modes, this is a package of content that more than earns its $60 price tag... [It's] this season's biggest PS3 victory. [Nov 2009, p.42] 

Games Radar (in-house) - 10/10
    Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. It looks amazing, plays like a dream and the voice-acting/story-telling will hook you in right from the off. PS3 officially has it’s a killer-app and a million tears are shed by 360 fanboys.

IGN - 9.5/10
    It's very, very good. It's easily one of the best games on the system, blending fantastic presentation and visuals with gameplay that is practically second to none. And then there's the stellar multiplayer which you'll probably be playing until Uncharted 3 ships. No, Uncharted 2 is not perfect, but it's closer than pretty much any other game out there these days.

PSM3 France - 21/20 (weird)

Beta Access

• Pre-order from Play.com in the UK.
    • Could someone get in touch with other region details, I'm not sure.

Special Editions

Fortune Hunter Edition
    It cannot be bought. The Fortune Hunter edition contains the game, a replica of the Phurba Dagger artifact and stand, an art book, and a collector's case autographed by Naughty Dog. It is also said to include a "host of downloads." A collector's edition of Uncharted 2 has not been announced for retail sale.

The pack may be won from various Playstation related outlets, keep an eye on the Playstation Blog for example.

A Note

I guess I'll be updating this thread with links and what-not as the reviews drop aswell as bits and bobs of news etc.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By get2sammyb

The latest review in is the GamesRadar 10/10 review, in which they open with the words; "Since we briefly played Uncharted 2 at Gamescom in Cologne recently and were part of the multiplayer Beta, we expected it to be pretty good, but shittin’ crikey, not this good." They also compare the script writing and voice acting to blockbuster movies, suggesting that at times Uncharted 2 is better than that.

It's a pretty juvenile read from a publication trying hard to be funny, but they are real, and they're not directly linked to Sony so it should be a pretty pure review. They seem chuffed about it, only lamenting some slightly clunky platforming and some annoying enemy types.

Also fairly recent news is that the game will support Twitter.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By JoelTGM

I really want to play the game already, I played the multiplayer in the first beta but I want to get to the awesome singleplayer.  Time is slow :(

Aw man, I just read that latest review you posted... now I'm even more hyped up, and even more impatient.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By OmegaPirate

good job on the hype thread matey :D your last one for killzone 2 was a great source for keeping up to date on those long days counting to release - looking forward to this one developing too 

I honestly can not wait for this game, besides ratchet, and borderlands this is the game i want to play the most over the coming months (/ year)

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By get2sammyb
    @DOUBLESHOCK said:
    " I really want to play the game already, I played the multiplayer in the first beta but I want to get to the awesome singleplayer.  Time is slow :( "
    I don't want it to be October already, because this year feels like it's gone crazy fast. But man. Uncharted 2. It's tearing at my heart strings. I just know I'm going to fall in love with Elena all over again. *Sigh*.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By mordukai
    @get2sammyb: OHH WOW sammy. Change of Avatar. 
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By LiquidPrince

Epic is only the beginning.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#8  Edited By GunstarRed

I haven't hit the super exitable  moment yet for this game, the beta is fun and looks great and all but it just felt like more of the same. 
    This is pretty weird seeing as Uncharted was easily my favourite game of 2007. I think I watched that trailer with the massive attack song in it about  50 tiimes before the game came out.  I'm almost certain theres just going to be that moment in the game where  your whole outlook on it changes like the bunker section in the first. 

edit...just watched that train section video......I think i just hit that  level.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By mordukai

Don't forget the really robust cinema mode.  

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By randiolo

" Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant. It looks amazing, plays like a dream and the voice-acting/story-telling will hook you in right from the off. PS3 officially has its killer-app and a million tears are shed by 360 fanboys." - Games radar, uncharted 2 review.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By get2sammyb

Ok so, as many of you know from Mordukai's thread, the IGN review is in. A very thorough review scoring the game 9.5, and once again describing the title as Playstation 3's "definitive" title; an accolade which has been pretty much thrown around in every review thus far. It's great to hear.

What's even more interesting to hear is the praise that the online component is getting. In many ways, what we expected to be a tacked on extra, is turning out to be one of the key components of the game.

Here's the video review:

Also, Eurogamer's Digital Foundry have just put up a tech analysis of the game which is really interesting if you like talk about aliasing and v-sync and frame-buffer and stuff.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By get2sammyb

And we have more reviews in the melting pot, flying from all angles today:

Official Playstation Magazine - UK: 10/10

No quote from that yet I'm afraid. I can confirm, I did read it in today's issue while perusing a copy of the mag in Tesco, I'll buy one tomorrow and let you all know their thoughts.

Eurogamer: 10/10

"At the core of Uncharted 2 is an action-adventure masterpiece whose minor flaws are washed away on a tide of rhythm and spectacle - one that would still be an essential experience even without the option to pull your friends off cliffs and play capture-the-heirloom. For over a dozen pulsating hours, Nathan Drake is among thieves, just as Naughty Dog was when it made the first game by ransacking surrounding genres. By the end of Uncharted 2 though, Drake has found his place in the world, and so has the developer - among giants."
     - That's an incredibely favourable score from a site that tend to review very harshly. It's also a really in-depth read so worth checking it out if you want to know more about the game.

NowGamer: 9.5/10 (the parent company of gamesTM among other UK magazines)

"We remember every moment of Uncharted 2. Despite the game’s patina shifting variously from radiant glow to blinding mirror finish, every single instant is utterly unforgettable."

VideoGamer: 9/10

"Uncharted 2 does so many things right, that its problems (a less than perfect cover system, some frustrating combat and unfortunate glitches) are easy to overlook. The single-player adventure packs in so many incredible moments that you'll be talking about it with friends for months, the multiplayer functionality is superb and rammed with content, and the whole game looks beyond anything you'll have seen before. Uncharted didn't quite make the grade as a classic, but Uncharted 2 should earn the series a place among the very best exclusives to hit the PlayStation."

C&VG: 10/10

"It takes elements from a lot of games - the exploration of Tomb Raider, climbing of Prince of Persia/Assassin's Creed, combat from Gears of War and stealth from Splinter Cell, yet it amalgamates all of these elements perfectly into one package. You can't compare it to any other game."

GamePro: 5/5

"All the thrills of a big budget Hollywood action movie -- now with 100% less nuked fridges!"

Please note: there are other reviews out there, mainly by non-English publications which can be found here should you wish to read them.

In other news - Twitter support for the game has now been reduced and there is a full multiplayer demo available to everyone on the Playstation Store. I'll update the main thread when possible.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By toowalrus

Those are some nice reviews for a Laura Croft clone, gonna have to play it when I get my PS3.

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By trophyhunter

how does the newly designed ps3 boxes look compared to the old ones?

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mordukai
    @trophyhunter said:
    " how does the newly designed ps3 boxes look compared to the old ones? "

Original
     Original

Redesign
     Redesign
    trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By trophyhunter

no i wanna see in a actual picture

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am really looking forward to this as well. Judging by reviews so far, it looks stellar.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By get2sammyb
    @TooWalrus: It's nothing like Laura Croft. There's inspiration there yes, but it plays nothing like it.
    The_Shanimal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#19  Edited By The_Shanimal

I really want this game.  It is on my must buy list for the rest of the year.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By get2sammyb

And one more;

1Up: A+/A+

"Uncharted 2 is simply a vast improvement over its predecessor, and it's a damn great PS3 game. Let's leave the "are games art?" question for another time; what Uncharted 2 proves is that games are, at the very least, craft. Just as Raiders [of the Lost Ark] is Spielberg at the top of his game, Uncharted 2 is Naughty Dog at the top of theirs, and further proof that they are masters of their craft."
    Tortoise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By Tortoise
    skidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By skidd

This game looks amazing, seriously cannot wait! 
    Also, just to let anyone whos interested, there is a Special Edition available - not the Fortune Hunters one, just a regular SE. Not sure if its an EU exclusive (like Ratchet), but its available for pre-order from Game.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By GunstarRed

I'm feeling really, really sorry for Brutal legend now,  that game is seriously going to be hurt by these reviews. 
    I  want this more than anything else this year, more than MW2, more than ratchet..and I want it more than I wanted SFIV 
    and I can see me having that horrible moment of having to choose between this and streetfighter as my game of 09 

or maybe ill be disappointed.... thats quite unlikely.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By get2sammyb
    @marioncobretti said:
    " I'm feeling really, really sorry for Brutal legend now,  that game is seriously going to be hurt by these reviews. I  want this more than anything else this year, more than MW2, more than ratchet..and I want it more than I wanted SFIV and I can see me having that horrible moment of having to choose between this and streetfighter as my game of 09  or maybe ill be disappointed.... thats quite unlikely. "
    I dunno, Brutal Legend is still going to do well, and may even be close competition for Uncharted 2 given its multiplatform base.

Brutal Legend has always struck me as a bit of niche title though, but it's still going to do well, Uncharted or no Uncharted.

I do agree though, this is the game I want most this year too. More excited for this than I was Killzone 2, and I was pretty fucking stoked for that.
    GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GunstarRed

I have also been seeing adverts for it on tv in the UK already at Decent times during watched shows, so well done to sony for promoting it earlier than they usually do their major releases.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By get2sammyb
    @marioncobretti: Yeah sorry, forgot to mention that earlier in thread, they're running this massive campaign for Uncharted 2 in the UK. Haven't seen it yet, but I've heard it shows Drake on a train. I've heard they're starting out with small commercial spots and they're going to build it up as launch date nears.

Kudos to Sony for actually marketing a game. Gold star.

I still think they should get demo pods in stores with a nice Sony branded HD display and this game along with stuff like Killzone 2, Motorstorm, Gran Turismo, inFamous etc. I've never to this day seen a Playstation demo pod in a store -- first hand experience is worth more than any advertising as far as I'm concerned.
    VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By VWGTI
    @get2sammyb said:
    " And one more;

1Up: A+/A+

"Uncharted 2 is simply a vast improvement over its predecessor, and it's a damn great PS3 game. Let's leave the "are games art?" question for another time; what Uncharted 2 proves is that games are, at the very least, craft. Just as Raiders [of the Lost Ark] is Spielberg at the top of his game, Uncharted 2 is Naughty Dog at the top of theirs, and further proof that they are masters of their craft." "
    That conslusion is so well written and exactly what I wanted/needed to hear.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mordukai
    @trophyhunter said:
    " no i wanna see in a actual picture "
    The box itself, as far as size and looks, is no different then how it was. What they changed was the logo and the way the artwork is laid out. Basically what they did was cut the entire left side and keep only the top part and enlarged the main artwork. 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.