Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Naughty Dog explains why they thanked Bungie and Infinity Ward.

• 81 results
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @Kamasama said:
    " @HitmanAgent47:  As if generation matters, especially when you also brought up Tomb Raider. Not that it's important, but WinBack: Covert Operations had a cover system before any of those games, which took the idea from actual tactics used by people. And there's no way Uncharted could have "stolen" that from a game that was released one year prior. The design of a game like that takes place well over a year before it's released, and it was implemented well before the release according to previews. As far as Tomb Raider, Naughty Dog was doing 3D platforming before that was released. They may not have had ledge grabbing and climbing, but that's not a particularly novel concept (and was done in 2D prior to either). The character is obviously partially based upon Indiana Jones, too. Using these previously established frameworks or archetypes is very common in creative mediums, and that includes even smaller things like camera placement and gameplay mechanics. There is very little that is wholly original anymore, and limiting the scope to the game's industry can be disingenuous. It would be unreasonable to need to officially acknowledge every origin of what is integrated into your product. There's a reason these types of things are not copyrightable. You're pulling at straws. Just think of how Hitman would be if it wasn't allowed to use concepts from prior games like MGS and Thief, and that could be extended to most modern games exchanging the names. "
    This. Basically, if game developers didn't allow other companies to use their ideas and concepts, where the fuck would gaming be? There is no "stealing" from other games, it's open source dude. Just because someone comes up with an idea doesn't mean that someone else isn't capable of using it or improving it. 
    joelalfaro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#52  Edited By joelalfaro

Very classy :)

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#53  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Aww, I feel all warm and fuzzy inside ^_^ .

PartTimeNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54  Edited By PartTimeNinja

Naughty Dog has definitely gone up in my book, then.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55  Edited By crunchUK
    @Sir_Ragnarok said:
    " Bungie's gone out of their way at times to praise other developers, haven't they?  I can remember specific times they even saluted Infinity Ward, god forbid.  "
    Worse, they even mentioned MLG in the ODST credits. Thanks for ruining our community? :S
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By HitmanAgent47
    @Red12b: I don't own a xbox360, I have two ps3 and a gaming pc fyi. 

@SathingtonWaltz:  There is a different between copying ideas and outright plagerism then refining a game. Games like saints row 2 is basically the same type of plagerism, same with quantum theory. At least saints row 2 gives credit to the gta franchaise and admits they outright copied everything and is proud of it, unlike naughty dog, instead giving credit to bungie and infinity ward for copying their online multiplayer component.

Edit: talk about ps3's 256mb gpu or uncharted 2 then ppl who owns a ps3 would get defensive and blames me for my opinion.
    pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By pause422
    @HitmanAgent47 said:
    " It doesn't change the fact naughty dog stole everything and tried to refine it. I mean online they practically stole the call of duty online components and how you level up and stuff. They stole the cover system and they stole alot of platforming from tomb raider. I would say it's almost an exact duplicate now that uncharted 2, you can blind fire like gears of war. Honestly the game should be called uninspired 2.  My point is even if they didn't share technology with these developers, they should be thanked for borrowing ideas from those games and replicating it exactly yet refined. "
    You honestly are doing nothing but trolling at this point. You dont like the developer obviously, and thats obvious. Get over it, your opinion isnt valid here at all.
    JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#58  Edited By JokerClown88

Naughty Dog.  Good games since 1996. 

Humble since 2007. 

I love you Naughty Dog
    Avatar image for unsolvedparadox
    unsolvedparadox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By unsolvedparadox
    That's cool of Naughty Dog, props to them. 

@Red
    said:
    " Alright guys:  Infinity Ward, Retro Studios, Naughty Dog and Bungie all working on a game, what would it be? "
    Future Warfare Reach: Among Metroids?
    Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
    SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
    @HitmanAgent47 said:

" @Red12b: I don't own a xbox360, I have two ps3 and a gaming pc fyi. 

@SathingtonWaltz:  There is a different between copying ideas and outright plagerism then refining a game. Games like saints row 2 is basically the same type of plagerism, same with quantum theory. At least saints row 2 gives credit to the gta franchaise and admits they outright copied everything and is proud of it, unlike naughty dog, instead giving credit to bungie and infinity ward for copying their online multiplayer component. "

Okay just stop, I tried using normal reasoning with you, but like other people have already stated, your crossed the line into trolling now. Plus, why the hell do you even care? If the game is fun play it. If it isn't, don't. Easiest fucking thing ever.  

Edit - And I'm not even normally one to call someone a troll. I think your the first for me.
    wh1terav3n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#61  Edited By wh1terav3n

Everyone's talking about the respect Naughty Dog gets, and they do get some for thanking Bungie and IW. But how about Bungie and IW for helping them out? Classy move.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#62  Edited By KamasamaK
    @wh1terav3n: Agreed that respect should be all around, but the help was apparently mutual.
    OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#63  Edited By OmegaPirate

Love it- and this kind of behaviour needs to improve!! 

Also, can people stop making tomb raider comparisons??   
    Uncharted is nothing like Tomb Raider

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#64  Edited By TheHBK

That explains it.  Fuck, this is how good get games get made.  Not unusual for these companies, Bungie is supposedly independent now, but IW, may be trying to get there too, because Activision is just full of corporate assholes.  After I read that we could have had Modern Warfare in 2005, i just lost faith in AV.
    This is how great games get made and how we save 2009.  Other developers could learn from this, especially when making a game that has so many parts of other genres in it like Uncharted 2 does.  You can see how they got help with the shooting especially and the multiplayer.
    On the other hand, you have Schaefer, who fucked up royal trying to do so many things, and thinking he was gonna be brilliant.  I really think the game of BL would have been better had he not gone with Strategy, or he could have asked the guys from Ensemble who lost their jobs for some help.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By mordukai
    @wh1terav3n said:
    " Everyone's talking about the respect Naughty Dog gets, and they do get some for thanking Bungie and IW. But how about Bungie and IW for helping them out? Classy move. "
    I always had respect for IW and Bungie. The only thing I never really liked about IW is the fact that they give Tryearch such a hard time because of that whole CoD issue. I always thought their anger towards Treyarch was misplaced as they are owned by Activision and they basically got the order that they are making a CoD game because Mr. Douche (AKA Boddy Kotick) wants a Cod game on the market every year). I really don't know what's going on over there as far as internal issues IW has with Treyarch but I think IW should be angry at Activision more. 
    RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#66  Edited By RHCPfan24

This is very nice to hear from the studio. I am glad there are mature, levelheaded human beings behind the development.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#67  Edited By MetalGearSunny

That's nice.

nanikore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By nanikore

Naughty Dog should be nominated for developer of the year. Makes immensely fantastical games, and is humble? Yep, that's pretty good.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By eroticfishcake

That's refreshing.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By End_Boss

That was a nice gesture Naughty Dog made. Now everyone stop feeding the troll and move on with your lives.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#71  Edited By natetodamax

That's interesting

Bolduk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Bolduk
    @TintedEyes said:
    " Fanboys take note, you can play for the other team but you don't have to hate each other. "
    This.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By TwoOneFive

wow, if only infiinity ward wasnt so stuck up

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ryanwho

If only PS3 fans were as mature as this.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By mordukai
    @ryanwho said:
    " If only PS3 fans were as mature as this. "
    You mean fanboys, and the same thing can be said about 360 fanboys, Wii fanboys, PC fanboys, and any fanboy for that matter. Most PS3 fans I know also own a 360, like me. I own all three consoles but I game mainly on the PS3 because it's my own personal preference but I won't deny myself the great games the 360 has to offer. Personally I think anyone who denies themselves the pleasure of great games because of blind loyally to a certain multi-national corporation is just deluding themselves. 
    InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#77  Edited By InfiniteGeass

It's nice to see developers play nice with each other instead of shiting on each other.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#78  Edited By toowalrus

But they didn't thank Tryarch! OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!

Interfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Interfect

Way to go Naughty Dog.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By zombie2011
    @bitcloud said:
    " Naughty Dog devs are one of the main teams orking on PS3 dev kits. If anyone wanted to get their feet wet in PS3 development, they are the go to people.  Bungie wanting in is a nice surprise though.  Devs that slag each other are probably teams that are owned by the first parties, but Sony devs have been really open about what they do, inner workings and what not. Can't say the same for everyone though. "
    Are you saying Bungie is gonna be developing for the PS3, because if so i don't think MS will let that happen, seeing MS has some sort of first look deal with Bungie. 

Also i think most developers are nice to each other not just Sony developers. The only people that seem to be asses in the gaming world is Infinity Ward.
    Hindsight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Hindsight
    @Br3adfan said:
    " I don't see why there needs to be company beefs with one another, everyone just wants to make good games. "
    Because the video games industry is trying to emulate wrestling and rap with their over-the-top "beefs".
    Avatar image for deactivated-61abb009b221e
    deactivated-61abb009b221e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are a plethora of games that "borrow" ideas from AAA titles. It's good that Naughty Dog recognizes their development process to others.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.