Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Uncharted 2: Final Verdict

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 29

Edited By RAmpersaND

The Good: Uncharted 2's vistas were so beautiful as to force me to pause to appreciate every one of them. Its scripted events were so explosive as to literally drop my jaw and leave my mouth gaping again and again. One mission reminded me of Mirror's Edge, while another got me thinking of Pandora Tomorrow; yet Uncharted 2's foremost influence was (needless to say) the original Uncharted, and - in short - everything that was good there is simply great here.

The Bad: Although Uncharted 2 built upon all of its predecessor's strengths, it also retained all of its weaknesses. As with the original Uncharted, the story's villains are mismanaged, the bad guys can withstand an insane amount of punishment, and the whole experience peaks at about the halfway point. Plus, every once in a while, I just had to laugh at how much Nate sounds (and even looks) like Nathan Fillion, a man with whom he furthermore shares a name!

The Stand-Out Moment: Climbing for dear life up a wrecked train hanging over the edge of a cliff.

The Final Verdict: 9.5 (out of 10)

Had Arkham Asylum not dropped during the same year, I could've seen myself crowning Uncharted 2 as my GOTY for 2009!

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By RAmpersaND

The Good: Uncharted 2's vistas were so beautiful as to force me to pause to appreciate every one of them. Its scripted events were so explosive as to literally drop my jaw and leave my mouth gaping again and again. One mission reminded me of Mirror's Edge, while another got me thinking of Pandora Tomorrow; yet Uncharted 2's foremost influence was (needless to say) the original Uncharted, and - in short - everything that was good there is simply great here.

The Bad: Although Uncharted 2 built upon all of its predecessor's strengths, it also retained all of its weaknesses. As with the original Uncharted, the story's villains are mismanaged, the bad guys can withstand an insane amount of punishment, and the whole experience peaks at about the halfway point. Plus, every once in a while, I just had to laugh at how much Nate sounds (and even looks) like Nathan Fillion, a man with whom he furthermore shares a name!

The Stand-Out Moment: Climbing for dear life up a wrecked train hanging over the edge of a cliff.

The Final Verdict: 9.5 (out of 10)

Had Arkham Asylum not dropped during the same year, I could've seen myself crowning Uncharted 2 as my GOTY for 2009!

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By FancySoapsMan

I hated that game so much by the time I was through with it.

benpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By benpack

I'm glad we could finally get the final verdict.

RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RAmpersaND
    @FancySoapsMan: Really? What about the game drove you to hate it?

@GlenTennis: Haha. This was my final verdict, of course; not the final verdict. PS: I adore Crystal Shyps!
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @RAmpersaND: 

Actually, I thought it was just ok when I played it.

But hearing everyone talk about what a masterpiece started to annoy me. I thought everything about it, the characters, story, gameplay, etc. was average at best. I will never understand why it gets so much praise.
    Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By EVO
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " I thought everything about it, the characters, story, gameplay, etc. was average at best. I will never understand why it gets so much praise. "
    Average?

AVERAGE?!

Are you fucking kidding? Kane & Lynch, Army of Two, Tomb Raider: Underworld - these are average games. Surely you're not lumping Uncharted in the same category as them?
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @EVO said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    " I thought everything about it, the characters, story, gameplay, etc. was average at best. I will never understand why it gets so much praise. "
    Average?

AVERAGE?!  Are you fucking kidding? Kane & Lynch, Army of Two, Tomb Raider: Underworld - these are average games. Surely you're not lumping Uncharted in the same category as them? "
    Don't.  Please don't.
    Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Marcsman

I would like to appeal the final verdict. It just seemed like a 9.6 ( out of 10) 
    Your 9.5 ( out of 10) is a travesty sir.
    blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By blueduck
    @EVO said:

Kane & Lynch, Army of Two, Tomb Raider: Underworld   
    While I agree Uncharted 2's quality is above average the games you listed here are also not average, they're fucking terrible 
    Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Ghostiet

Mismanaged villains? What do you mean? Harry Flynn was an awesome rotting, smug bastard and Lazarevic was entertaining.

And I don't know about the bullet sponge enemies, really. In Uncharted one it was a bitch, in the second? Not so much, apart from the final stages. My second playthrough on Hard was a lot faster and easier than the first one on Normal.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Venatio

My verdict? My goty of 2009 and one of my favorite games ever

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @EVO said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    Average?

AVERAGE?!  Are you fucking kidding? Kane & Lynch, Army of Two, Tomb Raider: Underworld - these are average games. Surely you're not lumping Uncharted in the same category as them? "
    I wouldn't really call those games average.

And yeah, nothing about Uncharted 2 stood out to me. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#14  Edited By TheHBK

My problem with Uncharted 2 was that Lazaravich was a crappy villain.  And as was pointed out, the enemies taking a lot of damage, wearing lots of armor, stuff like that especially in the napal village parts, was dumb.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By EVO
    @FancySoapsMan:  Then what games do you consider average?
    Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By Gabriel
    @FancySoapsMan said:
    " @EVO said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    Average?

I wouldn't really call those games average.  And yeah, nothing about Uncharted 2 stood out to me. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. "
    No game will be that great when it's hyped that much, a lot of these games live in the moment. Case in point GTA4.
    SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SethPhotopoulos
    @Gabriel said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    " @EVO said:
    " @FancySoapsMan said:
    Average?

I wouldn't really call those games average.  And yeah, nothing about Uncharted 2 stood out to me. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. "
    No game will be that great when it's hyped that much, a lot of these games live in the moment. Case in point GTA4. "
    In a forum maybe but to the people that loved those games will continue to love them.  And a lot of people loved them.
    FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By FancySoapsMan
    @EVO said:
    " @FancySoapsMan:  Then what games do you consider average? "
    Looking at my collection, I's say a few good examples would be Killzone 2, Fable, Nier, Saint's Row 2.

None of these games were bad by any means, but they didn't blow me away either.
    RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RAmpersaND
    @Ghostiet: Don't get me wrong: I liked Flynn as a character; it's just that some of his scenes - most notably his final appearance - could've been handled better. Lazarević, on the other hand, I genuinely didn't like; in my opinion, "Let's just make this guy really, really evil!" is not good character design.
    choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By choffy21

You have to realize that hating on popular games (Uncharted, Call of Duty, Halo) is really popular on the internet. Sure you don't have to love the game, but I never understood how someone can say "I didn't like Uncharted 2."

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By NTM

The only thing I thought the second Uncharted did better than Drake's Fortune was, (not that this first example was better but) a more varied setting, and a step forward with graphics. The shooting though alright, was the downside to the game for me personally. I can understand that the scripted parts (and just about everything else) were something to see, and they could have very well set a standard for many others shooters to come, but to me it was just the shooting that just wasn't as fantastic as Drake's Fortunes.  

I don't understand how people think the A.I. in the original are bullet sponges, because they aren't, shooting them feels amazing since you really feel like you're making an impact every shot that comes out and goes into an enemy. It could very well just be the blood effects I liked. I also liked how in the first Uncharted the camera was a little less close to Drake as you aimed, and I'm not sure if the fact that he shot from the waist in the first made a difference, but overall I thought shooting the A.I. was better in Drake's Fortune.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune: 9.5 

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves: 9.1

P.S. To add to what was better in Uncharted 2. I thought Zoran Lazarevic, was a much better antagonist than either Roman or Navarro.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@NTM said:
    " P.S. To add to what was better in Uncharted 2. I thought Zoran Lazarevic, was a much better antagonist than either Roman or Navarro. "
    i believe Eddy was a far more superior one due to his golden gun
     The only reason why i liked this dude was because of his golden gun.  Huh.  He seems less cool with a normal one
     The only reason why i liked this dude was because of his golden gun.  Huh.  He seems less cool with a normal one
    ok no but in all seriousness though, you are right.  Zoran's was a more evil person in my opinion
    probablytuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#23  Edited By probablytuna

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune was a 4/5 game for me. There wasn't a huge variety of environments (of the top of my head, I can only remember jungles, ruins and more jungles). Also the enemies in that game take a tonne of bullets before going down, and that kinda lessened my immersion in the game. Among Thieves fixed that, among other gameplay improvements as well (like changing the way grenades are thrown, more weapons variety, the ability to use stealth, better hand to hand combat). It was definitely superior and overall best game of 2009.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Lukeweizer
    @GlenTennis said:
    " I'm glad we could finally get the final verdict. "
    Thank God there is a definitive answer to the quality of this title... 15 months later.
    RAmpersaND

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By RAmpersaND
    @Lukeweizer: My final verdict on that joke? Funnier the first time around.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.