Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

Game » consists of 4 releases. Released May 10, 2016

Naughty Dog charts treasure hunter Nathan Drake's final adventure in the fourth entry of this action-adventure, swash-buckling saga.

Am I actually excited for UC 4? I don't think I am...

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 18

Let me just say, I am a HUGE fan of the series! The first three games were fantastic: memorable characters, memorable action and really very nice games. I think Uncharted as a series was a huge achievement both in terms of modern gameplay and modern game storytelling. The game industry will be talking about the influence of UC for a long time to come.

But, I can honestly say, I wish Naughty Dog and Sony had left well enough alone. I suppose UC 3 didn't have a definitive ending for the series, but it was a solid "...and they went off into the sunset" soft-ending . It ended maybe not on the highest of highs in everyone's opinion, but it ended solidly where nobody could complain.

This new game is not grabbing me now at all. Oh, I'm sure it will at launch since Sony doesn't have a very huge lineup for this year. Nevertheless, I just cannot at this point get psyched for it because I just feel like it should have ended at #3. (A selfish opinion to be sure.) Also, I really hope the the ending of #4 is not some bridge game to being us to a sequel series with a son, daughter, cousin, etc. I would be perfectly happy if Naughty Dog did another action adventure games, but I would have liked a "fresh game" and "unconnected" game in a new series. Perhaps I will be exited when e3 rolls around and we see more gameplay and get a better sense of the game. Yet, the news I look moist forwards to, with just a slight sense of trepidation is when Naughty Dog hints at the NEXT game they will make.

I suppose realistically speaking, a new property is just too risky to not attached onto an old series for support. If Naughty Dog makes another action adventure, they would be criminally stupid not like it with a past critical hit. The Uncharted games have done well but they never really did gangbusters business...they didn't create huge windfall profits....so a new game won't do better without all thing being perfect.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Uncharted 3's single player sucks (I enjoyed the multiplayer, though) and I'd love for this series to have a better sendoff due to my adoration for the first two. Since this is being lead by the head duo behind both Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us, I'm pretty confident that this'll be able to give the series a top quality finale as opposed to the ''Uncharted 2 but worse'' that is Uncharted 3's campaign.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@yummylee: I don't know about "sucks." It's just Uncharted 2 but shorter, which is still pretty good. Co-op is probably the best horde mode ever, competitive is alright but has the same problem Uncharted 2 has (1 shot sniper rifles).

LobotomyKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'm actually pretty excited for 4 Just to see them add what they learned from Last of Us into an action adventure setting. I always say that I don't want another, but when it rolls around I always love playing them kinda like Indiana Jones in that sense I guess... or if your cool Romancing the Stone. plus if they combined the Last of Us' multiplayer and Uncharted's multiplayer the world might just explode.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By Jeust

Actually I prefer Uncharted 3 single player campaign to Uncharted 2, and I believe the biggest reason Uncharted 4 is being made is because Sony wanted its heavyweight franchises on the PS4. As Naughty Dog is its most successful second party developer, it would be unwise not to launch an Uncharted game, to accompaign The Last of Us, taking their fans with them to the new console.

A Naughty Dog's lead told that the reason the story is about Drake's past was that his current life conflicts were settled, so Naughty Dog went for Nathan's past. I don't believe this was innitially planned, as Naughty Dog's probable plan was to end Uncharted at 3.

Actually I am sceptic about how well Uncharted will fare with more open settings, given that Uncharted was always about how polished and crazy the corridor segments were, and sand box settings aren't generally mixed with highly scripted set pieces.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I feel like it has been a million years since Uncharted 3 came out, so I'll probably play it an enjoy it, its not such a big deal to me.

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

Uncharted 3 has so many issues that I actually think Golden Abyss is a better game (barely). Given that 2 and 3 were designed set piece first and story second it's kind of amazing 2 doesn't have the same issues as 3. I expect Uncharted 4 to be a run of the mill Uncharted game and I have no interest in playing another one of those. Yet for some reason I do have interest in playing another Tomb Raider.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Getting disappointed over a whole lot of nothing, it's the way we gamers are. I'd hold out opinion on some footage or something first before being down on it.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Wemibelle

Am I excited to see Naughty Dog tackle a current-gen game? Absolutely. Am I excited to see more of the great dialogue and characters from the series? Absolutely. Am I excited to actually play another Uncharted game? Fuck no.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Uncharted 3 has so many issues that I actually think Golden Abyss is a better game (barely). Given that 2 and 3 were designed set piece first and story second it's kind of amazing 2 doesn't have the same issues as 3. I expect Uncharted 4 to be a run of the mill Uncharted game and I have no interest in playing another one of those. Yet for some reason I do have interest in playing another Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider had pretty great set pieces on top of really great gameplay, so I'd gladly play another one of those. I have always felt like Uncharted's gameplay is meh at best and outright bad at worst, the series lives and dies on its massive set pieces and I never found them particularly interesting.

I remember seeing some gameplay of Uncharted 4 that looked like it might be pretty cool, though, so here's hoping Naughty Dog makes this one a good game this time around.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
    Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

Wow, a lot of Uncharted 3 hate in this thread. I don't understand why people say it is terrible. You guys have said "it sucks" or "it has a lot of problems". I see game that is considerably better than most games that are released today. Obviously the presentation is stellar given that Naughty Dog is the developer, but I also think the gameplay is great. Uncharted 2 is the best in the series, but that shouldn't take away what Uncharted 3 accomplishes.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#12  Edited By csl316

We've seen 10 minutes of standard gameplay. These games have fun shootouts that are bookended by amazing sequences, so we've seen just a bit of what it'll offer.

I'd wait on prejudging the game until we see a little more.

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

I'm going in uc4 blind , so that the hype doesn't hit me :) also uncharted 3 Is my favorite .

Gruebacca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I still am excited for it. There's a shift in the style of gameplay they are electing to show off between 3 and 4. With 3, all they were interested in showing were climatic linear set pieces, but with 4 they seem more interested in showing off a more open, dynamic battle sequence that looks more in line to how the game will actually play. They'll have to reveal more of the game to confirm this suspicion of mine, but I'm not ready to dismiss it yet. They're tackling Uncharted in a different way, and it'll be exciting to see how it pans out.

I guess in hindsight, I should have expected that 3's singleplayer would be a downer. Like, how do you follow in the footsteps of 2 and make it better; by making it flashier? Now that they have criticisms of 3 to work with and the long time span between 3 and 4, perhaps something great will come out of this.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I wasn't excited by the prospect of a new Uncharted, but the footage shown at the end of last year made me excited to play Uncharted 4. If it delivers on the experience shown in that video, and combat proves to have the more sandbox-ish elements implied it could be just outstanding.

Beyond that, I'm also actually itching for some more Uncharted multiplayer, I really liked UC2&3's multiplayer modes, along with The Last of Us's, Uncharted 4's multiplayer should be a load of fun.

nophilip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#16  Edited By nophilip

@yummylee: Boy, I couldn't disagree with you more. Sure, 3 doesn't quite hit the highs that 2 did, but that's a pretty tall order. I'd say 3 is better than 1 by a long shot.

I am very excited for Uncharted 4. I've gotten way into each of Naughty Dog's multiplayer modes since Uncharted 2, so hopefully the multiplayer in 4 is great as well.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee

@thestandardtoaster: @nophilip: 3 is better than one overall, but it's all about context. Drake's Fortune was the beginning, released in 2007, and Uncharted 3 was released in a world where Uncharted 2 existed. Plus Drake's Fortune has a more consistent story to it.

I've talked about why Uncharted 3 sucks ad nauseum over the years, so it's not a topic I'm the most keen to yet again dive deep into, though I did at least most recently write up an awful lot in this thread here explaining my thoughts.

Avatar image for thephantomstranger
    ThePhantomStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well if you aren't hyped now then that's pretty good. Better to be pleasantly surprised then hyped up on hopped up on goofballs.

I'm also a bit apprehensive but it's in part due Uncharted 2 and The Last of Us being the only really notable games from Naughty Dog combined with the feeling that this is a patchwork job after that internal scuffle. The game play they showed looks really nice but ehh...

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

If they make Uncharted 5 I'll start complaining, but I love that series and 3 wasn't the way to send it off.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By monkeyking1969

@baillie said:

Getting disappointed over a whole lot of nothing, it's the way we gamers are. I'd hold out opinion on some footage or something first before being down on it.

True. My feelings are probably not totally rational since they are based on 'myself being done'. As I said, when it comes out, I will likely play and enjoy it; but for now the spark of interest in not ignited.

I might add on another topic:
    The Last of Us got me stuck with the first two encounters with "Clickers" it too me many tries to get out of the first encounter since you could not bypass them...you had to kill all of them. The second encounter just did me in, I HATED the game after that got me stuck and I never finished it. I can understand that people liked it for all the came after; but they way they set up those encounters as pass/fail where you had to play it their way turned me off. Get me stuck once shame on me, get me stuck again shame on you. A game like TLoU should not have game stopping puzzles and encounters.

If the team brings that sort of fucked up mission design or enemy design into Uncharted - I simply won't play it. I can understand that how you deal with Clickers after that is different, they loosen it up. Nevertheless, those first two encounters a really pissed me off, they were learning curve and difficulty spikes that were simply wrong to put there....and teh fact that the lessons learned can be ignored by bypassing Clickers most of teh times later makes their being there at all a bigger mistake.

Dayve86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hated the first few clicker encounters in TLOU, but I thought it was a pretty good way of making the player learn how to deal with those enemies. It also gave a great since of dread for the rest of the game whenever things got dark or cramped and you could hear them in the distance. There's probably a better way to do that all of that, but I can't really think of any. Sure it made for a couple of parts I didn't really like playing in the moment, but the tension it created for the rest of the game more than made up for it. I still think that first clicker encounter is the hardest part of the game and dread it every time I think about replaying TLOU.

As for UC4, I'm excited. I liked UC2 more than UC3, but UC3 is still one of my favorite games from last generation. The set pieces didn't fit into the story as well as they did in UC2 and made huge chunks of UC3 feel disconnected, but I was still having a lot of fun playing those set pieces. I'm excited to see what they can do with PS4 hardware. Unless they do something extremely interesting I can't see myself being excited for a UC5 though.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.