Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Unreal Tournament 3

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Dec 10, 2007

The third main installment of the fast-paced arena-based first-person shooter brings its futuristic world to the Unreal Engine 3 game engine while adding a grimy aesthetic and a new story-based single-player campaign (involving a crew of mercenaries set out to avenge their fallen colony against the Necris).

Unreal Tournament 3 PC Talk

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By VACkillers

Just thought i'd start a thread relating to the PC version, basicly what are your thoughts? i'd like to know how you feel about it? and about Unreal tournament in general, do you think UT3 has brought back the franchise? do you think its an awesome game? do you hate it? love it? let the world know your true feelings on the game! I personally love it but its definitely lacking something and i find it hard to put my finger on exactly what it is... The maps and levels are fantastic i think but i really do feel there isn't a whole lot of maps that was bundled with this version when you compare just to how many maps 2k4 has, when it was shiped and the maps and levels ppl designed after its release.

Theres only like a handfull of maps that are worth downloading and playing and much of Epics emphasis was clearly on their new gametype WAR. Hardly came with any deathmatches or capture the flag maps which i felt should have had more, as an old school kinda gamer, i need more of my classic game types hehe....
    I thought the weapons, the way they fired and how they felt, was spot on, there was a couple complaints durring the demo that was released before it launched, but i have always been well impressed with the weapons. I really do think they could get rid of the shock rifle now tho, its a weapon i personally never really use, and the impact hammer which i dont find too usefull as your usually dead before you get to use the thing anyway, but apart from those, im dead happy with the weapons myself.

The graphics are really nice, the grass.... eehhhhh.... could have been done a bit better, but the graphics on a whole are a big improvement on unreal tournaments passed...  When i first heard of UT3 and that it was being made i couldn't believe my hears, i thought it was truely one of the most awesome things in PC gaming lol, i was really excited about the possibilitys of what maps people will create for this potentialy great game, but after a year or close to of its release, there isn't really that much out there.... Im really hoping the community as a whole starts pushing out maps left and right coz it would be a shame for this game. The "Make something Unreal" competition is on right now which has brought about some good stuff.

The singleplayer campaign is quite good, and love the cinematics, but the story is kinda blah, and to be honest, no one really buys Unreal Tournament for a singleplayer mode, they just wanna go and shoot someone in the face old school style! and i think would have benefited more if there wasn't a campaign mode, and just more maps of the original game types.... I personally love the blurness that has come with UT, if it didn't have that effect i think it would feel too much like the old generation of games, this makes it feel new, and i like......

So post what you guys think, im curious as to how some of the old schoolers feel, and if they like this one, and if not, what do you think needs changing/adding to make it better?

thebrassthief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By thebrassthief

You typed UT4 near the start of your post.

I played the UT3 demo when it came out, and played it briefly when it hit the shops, and it just felt really different playing it. I felt large and clunky and too reliant on what players would make for it in the future (maps, specifically).

I'm still enjoying UT2k4 more.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By nutcrackr

I thought the UT3 campaign was rubbish, I think they should have done what they did before - made it a ladder competition. Trying to weave a story into deathmatch and capture the flag did not please me. Game is fun though.

Abunai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Abunai

Its alright, i still prefer UT2K4 though.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By unclejohnny79

Honestly, I havnt tried any game from the series yet. I might get the pack on steam maybe

Riicochet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Riicochet

tl;dr

KindGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By KindGalaxy

In Australia we basically have 1 server with any people on it, usually 6-10 people at peak time, that's it. On PC, this game was such a multiplayer disappointment when considering the past games in the series.

staxontoplyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By staxontoplyon

I've wanted to pick this up, haven't played UT since the original (puter was too outdated in 2k4's heyday) yet I hear that hardly anyone is online playing it.  This is a game that just isn't worth buying if you can't find good populated servers.  I'm pretty surprised that this game tanked so bad on PC given its status and favorable reviews.  Correct me if I'm wrong though, are people playing this in any decent quantity?

xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By xplodedd

if people would play ut3 i would too, but it seems no one really is... so when i feel like UT i play 2k4

dantey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By dantey

It plays like UT, it looks like UT, it has all the weapons like in  UT, so it must be UT. And that is not bad, but isn't especially good for me. Sure, brainless killing is sometimes fun. The this game needs skill to succeed in it, witch brings a feel of a challenge. But for me, one of the most important aspects for a game is the story. And since UT3 lacks a good story, it is nothing special to me. But at least it is good for taking stress of.

Avatar image for theogvandalvideo
    TheOGVandalvideo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By TheOGVandalvideo

The pacing in UT3 is a little different, but its nothing that you're going to notice right away. They also fubared the FLAK cannon. :,(

SmokeyDaBear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmokeyDaBear

I honestly had a lot of fun with UT3. The only problem was that the fun was short in its lifespan. If you ask me UT2004 is a lot better because one of the major aspects UT3 is lacking in is variety. In Ut2k4 you had basically 100 maps and 6 or more game modes, while in UT3 they simplified two of their biggest modes (assault and onslaught) and only offered around 40 or so maps total. So you had a small amount of maps for each mode and only a select few of these maps were actually worth playing (at least in my opinion). That doesn't give you a lot of options. This problem could have easily been remedied with some remakes of some of the good UT and UTK4 maps. The next failure was in the pace of the game. You can really tell that they tried to go back to the original Unreal Tournament game. They brought back some of the animations and mixed them with the ragdolls and they also decreased the insane speed boost that we got in UTK4. We don't have to deal with those annoying jumping people in UT3, but at the same time I miss the faster pace of UTk4 so I don't think that the sacrifice was worth it. The third issue I had with the game was the stupid single player. Yes UT games are not known for their single player, but for some odd reason they hyped UT3's single player component up. If you ask me there is potential for a satisfying single player campaign in a UT game, they just aren't doing it right. UT is a bloodsport so they should treat it like one. Instead of making some lame ass excuse for having to capture a flag in the middle of a warzone make it like a sport. Have a crowd of blood thirsty fans cheering you on, have the characters make an entrance like wrestlers would (with some loud music and all kinds of pyrotechnics), UT is supposed to be a sport so for the single player they should make it like a damn sport. There are more reasons why this game is a disappointment, but I'll just list one more. It didn't live up to the hype. If you read the early descriptions of the Warfare mode it sounds amazing and innovative, unfortunately it didn't work out the way they said it would. There are some other aspects of the hype that they did not deliver on, but I'm too lazy to point them out and I have already typed a lot of crap up so I'm going to put this opinion to an end.

I had fun with UT3, but I know Epic can do a better job. With so few populated servers and lackluster content is hard for me to keep coming back. In the end UT3 was a disappointment of epic proportions.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By VACkillers

TewDee, thanks a lot for that correction, it was really late and i did a BAD!!! misstype so thanks a lot for the correction.

I think for the most part, ppl are rather disappointed with the game as a whole, and at least im not alone in thinking the lack of maps really really hurt this game. I also think epic are more concentraited on the console platforms, you definitely can tell soon as UT3 was released for the PC, the menu system was rubbish! and is very console based with very limited options. I still play UT2k4 a lot, i'm actually one of those people that never really takes it online all that much except for lan games, mostly because of lag times and low pings online, so i was really looking forward to a load of bot maps, and was greatly disappointed when there was hardly ANY maps at all? i mean, WTF? this is largly a multiplayer game, then if you want, you can play by yourself with bots, and the lack of maps absolutely killed this game in my opinion. Then we all had to wait 8 months before the first batch of decent downloadable maps were released and what was rightly said above me, too much emphasis was on user created content which is good to encourage that, but on the other hand, your shipping a half finished product.

SmokeyDaBear i think was spot on when mentioning about adding some of the old maps into UT3 from previous versions, i mean UT3 didn't even ship with CTF-Face which is arguebly one of the most played multiplayer maps of all time, how on earth could u not include it? yes its been released in a bonus pack, but not the point though is it really? it should have shipped with it. If they re-made some of the old maps that map list would have been massive!!!

I hope they dont just leave UT3, and continue to support it, coz i personally like UT3, i think theres great potential, but the lack of content for a UT game really is killing the community in my opinion. Epic should definately release some new characters like bringing malcom back as a playable character, need more character parts to mess about with in the game because that is easierly one of the best features in UT3, the character creation and choosing how you look with armor and head sets, brilliant! but theres hardly much to choose from, which could definitely be expanded on.  We need more maps, plain and simple, even though there are some pretty good maps out there, the maps done by epic are the best still which never usually is the case, so perhaps they could release some map-packs or something, just do something to show their still interested in the UT franchise to get people juiced about UT again.

Having been on the official forums a good year or 2 now i think a lot of people were expexting the game to look like those first official screenshots which looked CGI, but have clearly been proven that its all in-engine on several shows b4 UT3 was released, and we all wow'd ourselfs, get that game, and it didn't look anything like those screenshots! think that caused a lot of people to step away from UT3 a bit aswell ontop of everything else.
    I love this game myself and i really would like epic to start release some new content for it, but i doubt that'll happen.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By pause422

I'll alwayve love the Unreal series,but I haven't tried playing UT3 in a while(got it,just uninstalled now) most of the community that drove former unreal games seems gone,it definitely saddens me that the majority of people nowadays really don't want anything to do with this (or they rent it on the fucking 360,which isn't Unreal for so many reasons..) PC is how its meant to be played,but most of the charm and thriving community that previous titles had has ceased to show itself now.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By VACkillers

I think a lot of the old community / map making / mod builders have left and gone onto other games like the Battlefield series and stuff like that, which is why there's just a simple lack of user created stuff. Now when i say lack, its not to see that there isn't good stuff out there, or that there isn't that much, its just there's NOTHING like the amount that used to be for unreal games.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Tanuki

I hated it.  I totally understand that there's more money in make games for all platforms.  (360, ps3 & PC)  But when you have a game that's so geared towards the MOD community and has basically been a PC only title since it was first released it's not exactly a good thing when it's made for the 360 in mind instead of the PC.  The Menu's were atrocious to work with, the story line (which they boasted was going to be awesome) was just this rubbish deathmatch/CTF crap.  And there were only 3 games types.  Deathmatch, CTF and Warfare.  (Duel is 1on1 DM! and Team CTF don't count)  Whereas in past UT's there were tones of game modes, like Domination, Assault, Mutant, Onslaught, Bombing Run, Last Man Standing and Invasion... oh, and DM and CTF.

I didn't exactly think UT3 was going to do something crazy and new with UT.  But I AT THE VERY LEAST, expected the content that was in 2k4 to be in UT3.  If you've never played a UT game before UT3 I can completely understand finding enjoyment out of it, but as someone whose played it since UT '99 UT3 is a disgrace to the franchise.  Play 2004.  It's awesome.
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By VACkillers

some spot on remarks and valid points Tanuki... as i mentioned before im just glad im not the only one that thought it was the content that was just dreadful this time round and to be honest, that is what has killed UT3. There is a domination mod now tho by the way incase you've missed it, but its not really the point.

Tanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Tanuki

Hahah.  Exactly.  And it's sad too.  UT3 could've been so amazing.  In fact, it wouldn't have even been that hard.  It's not like UT is some amazingly original idea with a thoughtful story line.  It's just a Fast paced Multiplayer Shooter, no-more & no-less.  What makes UT is the content.  And it's formula and game modes are already laid down in plain site.  But when you completely remove 6 or so game-play modes, and turn a menu system that used to be shockingly versatile into... well... UT3's menu system.  Somethings wrong.

People don't play UT for the story or the single player campaign.  They play it for all the content, (and the soon to be content from the community)  But why would I play UT3 when I have everything I wanted in 2k4?  Except of course for UT3's pretty graphics.  :P  And those are damn pretty.
    VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VACkillers

lol yeah UT3 definitely looks very good indeed, but without content, its just an empty box really, when i first heard about UT3 i was definitely excited about the content -cries-   WHERE DID MY UT GO? hehe

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#20  Edited By OGCartman

Havent played it (omg ay) but i realy want to

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By VACkillers

its worth having... i've been playing it a lot today actually funny enough, making this thread actually made me reinstall it again, and been having some good fun with it... it just doesn't have the content like the others, apart from that, its a solid UT game... cept of course, the menu system lol...  but im still very glad i have it, coz it is a good game

sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sculsoldi3r

I think i tried it.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By VACkillers

The speed of UT3 isn't quite as manic as UT2k4 was but it doesn't bother me at all, still has the double jump, just reduced it a lot which makes online play a lot better now instead of having servers FULL of bunnies!

Another thing i forgot to add, which is the single reason why i stoped taking UT3 online was the fact that everyone started using the cheats that are out, like being able to see through walls... It became so rediculas, that i just quit playing online myself, the cheat was around since the demo, and unfortunately, epic didn't fix it, and it worked with the full game, think there was like 3 cheats, and i think this could be one of the main reasons why all the servers are just dead now.

xruntime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#24  Edited By xruntime

I played the demo today. There was only 1 internet server, and it was lagging - so I just played offline. I was ridiculously good at sniping (one round I didn't die at all and I won), which is surprising because I'm usually not that good at sniping in TF2. I loved the variety of weapons, and it was pretty fun shooting around. The atmosphere was unique, and overall I thought the game was pretty good. I love the impact hammer! I honestly have no idea why this game isn't more successful.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By VACkillers

its a great game xruntime, i've been playing offline for passed few hours actually...... I think its just mainly content... but its still so worth getting... and im wondering if they'll release a community bonus edition like they did with UT2k4......

Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Nemesis

I didn't like UT3, I definitly prefered UT2004 much better, with the community, mods, etc... Only thing going for UT3 is it's graphics. But I think Epic is too busy with their cash cow Gears of War to care about Unreal Tournament anymore.

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By VACkillers

As i've mentioned above, i think a lot of the old community just left UT3, and have gone onto some of the other games like Battlefield 2 which might explain the lack of quality with the maps ppl have made.... but are really good, but there's not very many

mrhankey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 2

#28  Edited By mrhankey

to sum it up UT3 is shit

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By VACkillers

naaa, i dont agree with that, it needs some love, but its not sh!t.....  I've personally added about another 40 maps or so from the UT community and really has spared some new life into it thank goodness... Also, the first of the Community Bonus Packs are out now just to add to things :

CBP3

was thinking of linking quite a few decent maps here... which i might do so people can sqeeze some new life out of UT3 if you haven't already

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#30  Edited By OGCartman
    mrhankey said:
    "to sum it up UT3 is shit
    "
    No its not, i havent played it but i doubt its shit from wat i heard
    sculsoldi3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sculsoldi3r

if ut3 is shit whatsnext...  crysis have the worst graphics?

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By VACkillers

heh yeah probably

StressedOutCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By StressedOutCat

the problem with the game I think is they didn't try to do anything new.. its like a porsche brand of cars.. sure they look nice.. but this years 911 looks exactly like last years and the years before that..
    think what would have solved the problem and made the game more interesting is if they game evolved a bit as well..
    sure playing it safe and remaking the same game beats in making a crappy game... but if you could choose to eat nothing but [ fill in your favorite food here ] eventually it wouldn't be your favorite anymore

was also gonna mention the lack of maps, game modes and the empty servers online.. but think thats been mentioned enough already

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By VACkillers

well as an old school UT player, i actually liked the fact they didn't really change that much.... Otherwise i'd turn out to be something else and not a UT game....  Warfare is good, i do enjoy playing that, but too me it just feels like a suped up version of onslaught, rather a mixed of ONS and assault.

nezze00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35  Edited By nezze00

I'm so disappointed with the game for various reasons.
    1. The community died :[
    2. They tried to incorporate a story (tourny mode was better)
    3. They used Gears of war graphics (wtf, those don't look unreal! Just plain and grey...)
    4. It says "From the people who brought you gears of war" on the back of the box. (That is a darn shame)
    5. All of the kool and interesting characters are gone and now look like gears of war clones.

Way to sell out EPIC....
    (with that said, the gameplay remains UT, hasn't really changed much there and I like that. The problem is that the above mentioned points really detract from the overall experience being an oldskool UT player.)

VACkillers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By VACkillers

yes i was pretty damn anoyed about the whole "from the studio that brought you gears of war" crap... sorry but eh, i dont give a sh!t about gears... heh

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.