Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Valkyria Chronicles

Game » consists of 13 releases. Released Apr 22, 2008

A turn-based tactics game with real-time elements, that tells the story of Squad 7 as they rally together to fight for the freedom of their country, Gallia.

Retail Woe Unto Valkyria Chronicles

• 174 results
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By JoelTGM

How do you pronounce the name of the game?

SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#102  Edited By SSbabel

I keep meaning to purchase this game, trailers and game-play look good plus the top reviews. But i don't know about starting a lengthy RPG, i mean i think I'm at that point in my life where the long winded RPG is just too much with work and other shit.

McBradders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#103  Edited By McBradders

I've been reading a lot of "my store only got 3 copies, I got the last ones" from various sites and forums I read. I think retailer reluctance and ignorance can be held partly responsible.

Do your part, fellow Brad, spread the joy.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#104  Edited By Red

Dang it! That sucks...

Why is it that all Japanese games that aren't just the same concept and story rehashed over and over again don't sell?
     The World Ends With You and now Valkyria Chronicles

And that's not mentioning every single atlus game ever.
    fuumo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By fuumo

The big problem was the game wasn't advertised well enough to bring excitement.

elko84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#106  Edited By elko84

This game is great, maybe not advertised enough, but I went and got it on day one.  I recommend this to anyone who likes turned based strategy.

Andrwmorph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#107  Edited By Andrwmorph

What game?

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#108  Edited By demonbear

If all goes well, this game is under my chrismas tree right now!!!!

If not, im totally buying it the 26th.....

bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By bingbangboom

For a new game like this, it is surprising that it was just a PS3 exclusive. I actually think not only would have sales been better if it was multiplatform, but a version for the DS would have been fitting to broaden the game. Designed similar to the Advance Wars series, I think that would have helped. I know PS3 owners are going to hate this, but it is just facts. There are less PS3 consoles out there which mean less sales, especially for such a niche game.

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#110  Edited By Chummy8

I think its the combination of WW2/anime/turn based strategy that's unappealing to our on demand action gamer market.  People will buy this game and love it.. but not that many.

coffeesash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#111  Edited By coffeesash

This is such a shame. :( I knew I would love this game ever since I played the demo. I live in the UK and it was really hard to get a UK copy here, my internet ordered copy arrived 2 weeks after the game's release and there were no copies in Game, Gamestation, HMV etc and still aren't.
    I think the game is brilliant and it makes me happy that I have a PS3. I think that if it was put on Xbox 360 as well, it woud still have to have been released before or after when it was, but the type of games I like always seem to bomb. Professor Layton is the only exception to that and it got massive TV commercial coverage.
    p.s. I have Vyse and Aika from SoA in my team. If you stand them next to each other you get double firepower, a very useful tactic ^^

TheVoice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By TheVoice

I'll get you Valkyria, don't worry. I'll be there soon.

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By killdave

@OmegaPirate
    This is a crime, the game deserves better :(

Over here in england they were even selling it for £20 - and people were walking straight past it to pick up sonic unleased >:(

YES I SAW THAT TOO !! Sad times.
    Mooshu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Mooshu

Thats really too bad. Valkyria Chronicles really is a fantastic game.

Lind_L_Taylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#115  Edited By Lind_L_Taylor

Hilarious!  I remember reading about this game being PS3 exclusive back when all of these Japanese game companies were pledging exclusivity of JRPGs to the 360 or porting to going multiplat (console).  And now I'm sure the JRPGs that have come to the 360 first (or exclusive) have done much better than Valkryia(sp).  I'm thinking even that tactical JRP trilogy of sorts, Operation Darkness, Zoids Assault, & the other one have all done better in sales than VC.  :-) 

Perhaps a port of VC to the 360 is in order here?

RolexDPracer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By RolexDPracer

I was thinking of picking it up after the Holidays. It sounds like a price cut is coming sooner than later, so I'll hold off on it.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#117  Edited By Trilogy

I would love to get it if it were on 360 or if I owned a ps3.

brainwins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By brainwins

I was really excited when I saw previews of this game, then I realized I had to get a PS3 to play it.
    It will be on my first 3 games to buy list when I get a PS3, though.

DirrtyNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By DirrtyNinja
    coffeesash said:
    p.s. I have Vyse and Aika from SoA in my team. If you stand them next to each other you get double firepower, a very useful tactic ^^"
    I use the same tatic :-) , and i agree the game is sweeeeet.
    Doogie2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#120  Edited By Doogie2K

And this is why you don't release a new, totally unhyped IP in November: it's like casting a baby gazelle adrift in a sea of sharks.  It's going to get eaten alive by Resistance 2 and LittleBigPlanet and every other big-name multiplatform title out there.  This seems like the sort of game you put out in April when no one releases games, so desparate gamers are more willing to give it "more than just a passing turn of the head."

SumoX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By SumoX

It's laughable to see people suggest that if this had somehow come to the 360, it would've magically sold far better than it did. The fact is, similar SRPGs on Xbox 360 have performed worse in their first month in the US (Operation Darkness: 3K, Zoids Assault: 8K...these numbers come from VGChartz, and if you can cite a better source, I will gladly accept it). By comparison, 33K is a massive triumph. Even those other JRPGs that are exclusive (timed or otherwise) haven't pulled giant numbers in the US; for reference, Eternal Sonata pulled 56K its first month and Tales of Vesperia had about 85K. No JRPG this generation has moved tons of units in North America, frankly. I think if the game had been multiplatform, we'd be looking at sales of around 50K.

Better? Sure, but not spectacular.

Other users have cited the real problems
    -no marketing
    -released at a super busy time of the year and was lost in the shuffle
    -some suggestive evidence that few copies were actually printed
    -SRPGs (especially Japanese ones) aren't popular at all
    -gaming tastes in the US seem to be geared towards action/FPS

It's too bad, because I had to pay extra money to import it since there was no Asian release. But it was easily worth the cash. I've only put 10 hours in, but it's great. I'd be playing more, but I have a few PC games to polish off and next month I'll go back to the US, where I won't have my PC but will have the PS3...seems like a good time to really dig into it.

Avatar image for hairytoeknuckles
    HairyToeKnuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Simply put, it is just getting lost in the Holiday shuffle. I loved the demo and wanted to buy it immediately thereafter; however, I am a husband and father of 2 young sons, so I have been buying Christmas gifts galore and haven't a dime left to buy myself anything. After the Holidays, this one is mine.

Yossarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#123  Edited By Yossarian

I have not picked up this game because of glut of other titles released in the same period.

I am confused, however, by the folks who are complaining that this game is hard to track down.  Amazon seems to have it in stock.

LeBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By LeBart

123 comments counting this one ! You'd think that game is quite popular. :p

CheesyMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By CheesyMonkey

I'll tell you why its not selling.  The cost is too high.  I would love to play this game and am constantly on the look out for a cheap version, not to take money away from the developer but simply to be able to afford it.  For xmas I asked for Little Big Planet, and that's it!  I wanted MotorStorm, Burnout Paradise, Eden, the list goes on.  My concern right now is having a roof over my head and feeding my two kids.  I live in Alberta Canada and we have no real financial problems, being a rich province, but $60+ for one game is getting silly. 
    Our mortgage is killing us and games have been relegated to last place.  Enjoying the fact that none of us are dying is our current past time. 
    Hopefully I win the Lotto and can then send big fat cheques to developers (and Podcasters) I like. 

xDLGx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By xDLGx

Best game on PS3 this year, go buy it.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#127  Edited By Venatio

That sucks, Im getting it when I get my PS3 back from repairs and have money again

DukeTogo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#128  Edited By DukeTogo

Maybe because it's a shit game that looks like it came out for the Dreamcast in 1998? 

Anyone still playing JRPGs or the odd strategy JRPGS in 2008 should really look around and see what games have come out since the days of the PS1.  As crazy as the game sounds, I've seen the same ideas in plenty of similar games over the past 20 years, it really isn't that original, just the first of its ilk on PS3.

These all are so full of clichés and played-out ideas from as early as the first Dragon Warrior games that it's embarrassing that anyone would be willing to overlook such lazy and stale game design in a retail product 20 years later.

Releasing said product with no advertising in the middle of the holiday crush is either knowing their audience well, or just oblivious planning.  The people that like this type of game are pretty keen on following this sort of stuff, and probably all had pre-orders since It's unlikely many retailers will stock the game at all without one.  It's been that way for a while with Atlus and similar publishers of these games.

I remember hunting down Gundam games and the early Suikoden titles for PS1.  You pretty much had to pre-order if you wanted to get the game, otherwise it was a frustrating exercise in calling stores and finding one at some store 30 miles away.

Nettacki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Nettacki

I agree with SumoX. Even if there are a lot of RPGs on the 360, it doesn't mean they're selling well, so making this game multiplatform will have little to no effect on the sales.

I'm buying it this holiday season anyway. The demo was awesome, and I expect the full game to be the same.

myke_tuna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#130  Edited By myke_tuna

I might get it once the price drops. This holiday season sucked me dry like that girl that stands on the corner of Main St. by the 7-Eleven. Oh Bertha, you big girl you. Seriously though, I've played the demo and I like it, but not enough to warrant the price it's at now, and even if it did, I don't have that much money. It's all been spent on Bertha. lol. jk. Enough with the Bertha business.

Envoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By Envoy

If you have a PS3 and skipped on this one, please do not complain about how casual games are taking over.

KillGiver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#132  Edited By KillGiver
    ManMadeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#133  Edited By ManMadeGod

I think the reason I have not picked up this game yet is because I don't own a PS3.

REDRUN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By REDRUN

If they want to get this game to the casual gamers, they could of released it on the Xbox 360 as well. Being a PS3 exclusive would only hurt them. This came out in November as too may other blockbuster titles.  Putting this on the 360 as well would of gotten more people talking about the game and wanting to pick a copy to get aquinted to the francise.

BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#135  Edited By BlackWaterCO

Thank god

Hopefully anime themed games will then die off

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#136  Edited By vigorousjammer

I played the demo for Valkyria over my friend's house...
    SO FREAKING FUN!!

then I found out it was created by the same guys who did Skies of Arcadia, one of my fav. RPG's of all time...
    WELL AWESOME!!

then I found out it was PS3 exclusive... and then I cried a little... because I don't own a PS3...
    same thing happened to me with LittleBigPlanet...

RenegadeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#137  Edited By RenegadeSaint

@DukeTogo:  Wow, your insight is amazing!  You should tell everyone what to like and play so we can all be as enlightened as you!  You're truly a great visionary!

Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#138  Edited By Valkyr

Maybe if you had reviewed it, more people would have bought it. I was very disappointed that none of you took your time to play it. One of the best PS3 exclusives on it's lifespan to date and you totally ignore it and gave us a review of a stupid game such as "You are in the movies" ¬¬

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#139  Edited By Snail

one of the few great games Sega has released this year... IT WILL HAVE MY MONEY! The non-hardcore crowd just doesn't know how to make choices and never picks the less popular titles.. and apparently never plays demos!

Dane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Dane

I thought Giantbomb only cared about 10% of the games? You know, the important ones... lol

eclipt1c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By eclipt1c

This seems like the type of game that's best released in the summer.

unangbangkay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#142  Edited By unangbangkay

Valkyria Chronicles was pretty much guaranteed to have a rough time, sales-wise. A new-IP "anime" tactical game on the "loser" console released within one of the most crowded holiday quarters in history? A recipe for sales DISASTER.

That said, I think the game, and the future of titles bearing similar concepts will pull through. Sega still released Yakuza 2 in spite of the dismal sales of Yakuza 1 (and in Japanese-only to boot!), and things are looking up for Yakuza 3 as well.

However, I think Valkyria Chronicles HAS suffered in terms of North American media coverage. Other than a few early reviews on Eurogamer and 1up, barely any of the major news/reviews outlets gave the game attention during the most critical period after release. Sure, there were some good previews and all of the critical reception just far has been gangbusters, but when you're sandwiched between the biggest releases in years, I'd think you deserve an extra look. It's not like people have never heard of Gears of War 2, but a hell of a lot never heard of Valkyria Chronicles, which is a goddamn shame.

Bent0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By Bent0

This game is fantastic and I hope has long legs cause it deserves recognition!

animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#144  Edited By animateria

I think the problem was, that there was no copies on retail shelves.

I've been to a couple game stores and electronics stores in my area and none of them carried the game.

I had to eventually buy my copy off of Amazon.

That said, this game is pretty much a niche game. Games like these rarely see a massive sale right on release.

ImperiousRix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 4

#145  Edited By ImperiousRix

This game looks awesome and I was highly prepared to play it.
    The problem is, it is an effing PS3 exclusive!  Nonetheless, it's unfortunate this is happening and I really would like to play it.
    Goddamn exclusivity.

_k1_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#146  Edited By _k1_

Been meaning to get this.  Every single player I've heard from loves this game.  Plus, it's a Sega RPG.

I hope people remember this game when they claim that Sega doesn't release good games any more...
    Avatar image for thirtiethtwelve
    Pathos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Pathos

Looks awesome, though.

I'm not a fan of RPGs anyway..
    Mox007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Mox007

I can agree with SumoX on some of his points, but there is no comparison between Vakyria Chronicles and Operation Darkness: 3K, Zoids Assault: 8K. Valkyria is a good. The latter 2, not so much.

grifter00020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By grifter00020

The game looks quite wonderful and charming. Im rooting for it.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By Mourne
    SumoX said:
    "It's laughable to see people suggest that if this had somehow come to the 360, it would've magically sold far better than it did. The fact is, similar SRPGs on Xbox 360 have performed worse in their first month in the US (Operation Darkness: 3K, Zoids Assault: 8K...."
    Well, let's be honest here--Operation Darkness is a 5th rate game all around. It wasn't the fact that it was an SRPG that it sold poorly--it was the fact that they released a demo that was outright terrible and turned off just about everyone that had even thought about renting it. That game never had a chance in the first place. Zoids, well, they missed that boat by about seven, eight years. I remember seeing that on Cartoon Network many years ago, but as far as I'm aware, it isn't even on television anymore... and likely hasn't been for three or four years.

The reason Valkyria Chronicles is selling poorly is simply that, as was noted by you below the excerpted section, it just wasn't aimed or marketed well whatsoever. It's a nice looking game, but it has one big flaw:  Sega. For me to buy a game by Sega anymore, I have to seriously think it over after watching lots of footage and reading on it.

The bigger problem, I think, is that RPGs have lost much of their luster from yesteryear. There was a time when you could buy an RPG on a whim and turn out with a fantastic product. I seem to recall finishing Final Fantasy VII and then picking up Suikoden II while out one day. Shortly after, it became one of my all-time favorite games. Now, the RPG market has been saturated by absolutely terrible games (like many other genres), with virtually every versatile studio taking a shot at it at some time or another. When even Square(-Enix) isn't stacking the shelves with the best RPGs, you know that things have changed (I thought FF12 was medicore at best, myself).

More or less, I'm just saying that while I do agree, the RPG market simply isn't what it once was. It takes too much time to get into an RPG for it to really be an experimental genre anymore, which I do think has hurt it quite a bit.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.