Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Vib-Ribbon

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Dec 12, 1999

As the wire frame rabbit Vibri, run though obstacle courses generated by any music CD placed into the PlayStation.

VIB RIBBON IS COMING TO PSN TOMORROW

• 177 results
    Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Jesus_Phish

@humanity said:

@demoskinos said:

The sudden clamouring for this game seems really weird to me. If this game was this beloved where was all the hype for it pre-E3? A lot of this just seems like a bandwagon to me.

It is silly. Everyone that is holy-smokes excited for this will play it once or twice and probably not touch it again. Those who have never heard about it will probably care even less, to a negative degree scale I presume.

It was a novel thing at the time but it doesn't mean it was actually a great game per-se.

People yelling about stuff on social media has managed to bring an old game back out for people to play. This is the best thing that social media has been used for in a good while with gamers. Who cares is some people are caught up in the hype about it? It's brought something back from the dead and all it took was for people to ask Sony a lot.

As for why people had no hype for it pre-E3, it's one of those games you never expected to see another one of ever again.

Ya'll just being sour over nothing. Let people enjoy this.

@do_the_manta_ray - It's in the blog post on both the NA and EU PSN blogs that it'll come to Europe next week.

NickM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

You gotta Bo live

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

Whatevs. I can play it right now!

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Freaking sweet!

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hassun: Thanks! I'm halfway though season 2 right now.

Then I need to get into Deadly Premonition.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I will say that I never heard of Vib Ribbon prior to that E3 thing and then watching it on UPF it looked like it was probably very unique for its time but not something I'd be into. I'm just generally not into music/rhythm games.

BUT.. This is still very cool. It's about Sony listening to what people want and delivering on it. This is about Sony continually owning the mind share of this generation so far.

And Sony should be making every effort to bring as much of this weird Japanese only stuff over here.

Avatar image for charlie_victor_bravo
    charlie_victor_bravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

PS1 copy came with a folded poster/instruction thing!
    PS1 copy came with a folded poster/instruction thing!

Spoilers: It is not a very good game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#58  Edited By Humanity

@jesus_phish: I'm not being sour on it. I mean good for Sony to bring back something like this. It's just the "HELL YAH OH MY GOD OH MY GOD!" response that has me ever so slightly rolling my eyes.

Like I said though, cool that they're releasing.

Now if they went ahead and did an HD version for the PS4 of a good game like Gitaroo Man then I'll be hootin' and hollerin' like an idiot myself!

qurao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be buying this as soon as it releases on PS4. I remember playing the demo of it on my PSOne way back when.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Super tight.

SUPER TIGHT.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

First it gets officially announced that Twin Peaks is coming back and now this. TOO MUCH EXCITEMENT... MY HEAD IT HURTS... OH GOD I THINK IT'S GOING TO EXPLOOOOOOOOOOODE! ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH! THE PAIN! IT... CAN'T COMPUTE...

Tell Gerstmann that I always...

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

that thing seemed like beautiful nonsense on UPF, ill give them some money for it.

but CD support for this game for me is whatever, they should open it out and give people just mp3 support.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I imagine it'll integrate with Sony's music unlimited service for tracks at some point if it doesn't at launch for the vita and PS4.

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By GalacticPunt

Aphex Twin is back, Twin Peaks is back, Vib Ribbon is back. All is right with the world because we can live in the 90's FOREVER!

DinkMonger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UPF.

Dragon_Puncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Already have it on disc, but cool news!

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why has this Monday been so beautiful?

Pilzi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

VIB RIBBON!

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I can't believe this is for real. Hurraaaaay!

Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HMMMM

Sometimes you get behind a project because, well, you gotta believe

PaRappa the Rapper confirmed?? I want PaRappa so bad. Vib Ribbon's music is great, but its no Chop Chop the Onion.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

YOU DON'T SHOW ME VIB RIBBON AND NOT GIVE ME VIB RIBBON. I WILL CUT YOU, SONY!

*Sony releases Vib Ribbon*

Oh, well, that's nice.

Thanks, I guess.

monosukoi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To *North American* PSN.

sweetz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By sweetz

@jesus_phish said:

@humanity said:

@demoskinos said:

The sudden clamouring for this game seems really weird to me. If this game was this beloved where was all the hype for it pre-E3? A lot of this just seems like a bandwagon to me.

It is silly. Everyone that is holy-smokes excited for this will play it once or twice and probably not touch it again. Those who have never heard about it will probably care even less, to a negative degree scale I presume.

It was a novel thing at the time but it doesn't mean it was actually a great game per-se.

People yelling about stuff on social media has managed to bring an old game back out for people to play. This is the best thing that social media has been used for in a good while with gamers. Who cares is some people are caught up in the hype about it? It's brought something back from the dead and all it took was for people to ask Sony a lot.

As for why people had no hype for it pre-E3, it's one of those games you never expected to see another one of ever again.

Ya'll just being sour over nothing. Let people enjoy this.

Classic games being preserved and made available to more people is always a good thing...but to me this is kind of exemplifies of how a few people in the press with symbolic megaphones can affect the market in ways that the actual market doesn't want or care about. That's not a good thing; and I suspect is an underlying subtext driving others that are questioning this move even if they can't put words to it.

Vib Ribbon is unique, but it isn't a very good game. Regardless, it somehow became the avatar for the aging gaming press's nostalgia for quirky Japanese games we never got in the US (most with good reason); I doubt the market at large cares about the game, and yet here we are. Were resources dedicated to this port that would have better been spent on something else? Probably not, and because the press has been effusive about the game it will probably sell enough (to people that will probably play it for 20 minutes and then never again) to cover the cost of said porting, so in the end, not a big deal. But the hypothetical scenario where resources are invested in placating a few highly visible critics or members of the press to actual detriment of catering the game buying market at large is obviously undesirable.

Kirlia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good game or not, it's nice to see it get a re-release (and actually have it be officially available to North American gamers for the first time, yeah?). I am somewhat surprised at the amount of cynicism. Just let people enjoy the game, even if it IS for 20 minutes and never again.

Accolade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has come.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When Alex Navarro threatens to cut you, you bloody well shut up and give him what he wants.

UltimAXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a feeling that a lot of bandwagon-hopping-people are going to buy this and hate it. I've seen enough of the game played here and on youtube to know what it is and while I appreciate its crazy style I have no real desire to play it. I was content to acquire an mp3 of the first level's music and listen to that from time to time.

Still, cool that Sony listened and that it's being released.

BelowStupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BANG!

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sweetz: These companies don't listen enough IMO. If they did, we'd have Rare making a Banjo-Kazooie game. We'd have a Parapa game (no interest to me but I wonder why they haven't made another since it was a big thing for Sony back in the day). We'd have new Mario Galaxy, Metroid, F-Zero, and Pokemon games on a console. We'd have a Command & Conquer game that did the classic series right and not just a cash grab.

And that is actually all I can think of off the top of my head but there is a ton more of big or cult classic games that deserve more and aren't getting it for some reason. They'd rather just keep pumping out sequels to relatively current stuff that we are burnt out on.

They don't play to people's nostalgia enough. They shouldn't put it out as shovelware but make $20-$40 games.

fastredponycar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gerstmann am cry tears of joy

LoktarOgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By LoktarOgar

@bbalpert said:

I saw someone on Twitter express some concern, citing how input lag on modern TVs (compared to CRTs) makes the PSN versions of Parappa and Um Jammer Lammy nearly unplayable (in their opinion, at least).

I bought Un Jammer Lammy a couple weeks ago and I can't even get past the first level, so... yeah.

cjschris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By cjschris

lol dammit! paid $50 for a copy after it was played on UPF

Avatar image for bicycle_repairman
    Bicycle_Repairman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is an outrage! Vib ribbon coming to psn means that sony is FORCING me and all their trustworthy and loyal consumers to connect my PlayStation hardware to the internet and be forced into their digital games future! Whats next sony!? Will your EYE be watching me be hypnotized by this power from the past?!

Games are doomed people! Doomed!

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#85  Edited By vigorousjammer

Wait... the PS4 still doesn't have audio CD support?

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Awesome! Now I don't have to get Vib Ribbon out of storage.

Can I say in all honesty that I think Sony is killing with the PR and public image side of their game's division in the last year? Seriously.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ghost_cat: you gotta love 'em, amirite?

Also whats an audio cd

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#88  Edited By Milkman

@humanity said:

@demoskinos said:

"Look at all these people excited about something! Time to shit all over it for no reason!"

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sammo21: well half of their pr team now are quasi-GB alumni so i wouldn't be surprised people round here are happy with them!

Seriouly they've been doing a bang up job. I do like to think this was Kessler's doing, though.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Game respects game.

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the game but it would not be one of my top 10 PS1 games. Fun interesting game that you never expected would come out outside Japan.

crashtanuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To *North American* PSN.

"I’m pleased to announce that Vib Ribbon will finally make a long overdue release in the US, Canada, Latin America and Japan this week, with Europe following next week."

THE_RUCKUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pretty nice of them they could of ignored call for vib and carried on but took time to sell it to people who wish to sail down memory lane hopefully it come with soundtrack

deox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I never enjoyed Vib Ribbon, but I know a ton of people hold it in pretty high regard. I wonder if this is going to be some kind of remastered version, or just a PSOne Classic title.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

All these ignorant Americans assuming no one cared about Vib Ribbon before E3, guess what... people bought games outside of your country and Vib Ribbon was fairly succesful in Europe and was critically well received in such territories. I loved it at the time and the music alone makes me want this game again.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All these ignorant Americans assuming no one cared about Vib Ribbon before E3, guess what... people bought games outside of your country and Vib Ribbon was fairly succesful in Europe and was critically well received in such territories. I loved it at the time and the music alone makes me want this game again.

All these ignorant Americans...

fobwashed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Throwing this in here too because I love me some Vib-Ribbon =P

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@yesiamaduck said:

All these ignorant Americans...

He's Irish, he might as well be American

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@milkman: No one shit on anything and that is not the issue some of us were even having.

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

DAMN.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.