Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Sep 06, 2011

A crucial planet size factory is under siege by millions of Orks. As Space Marine Captain Titus, you must lead your soldiers to stem the tide until help arrives.

I played 40k Space Marine today.

• 61 results
    Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Totori

That game is way fucking better than it looks. All the previews and videos made it look like a bad god of war game. It's actually an incredibly satisfying shooter. I just love that fact that you play as a two ton murder machine that speak incredibly eloquent space British. Just like Vinny, this game got me very interested in the whole Warhammer universe. 

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Giantstalker

I'm glad more people are seeing the value of this game, it kinda got swept under the rug when it first released. I loved it on the PC and still play multiplayer on occasion.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By falserelic

I have the game it was fun.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By musubi

Well if that's the case keep a eye to the steam store during the steam sale in sure the entire franchise will be on sale at some point.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Totori
    @Giantstalker said:

I'm glad more people are seeing the value of this game, it kinda got swept under the rug when it first released. I loved it on the PC and still play multiplayer on occasion.

Is the multiplayer marine on marine shooting?
    Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Totori
    @Demoskinos said:
    Well if that's the case keep a eye to the steam store during the steam sale in sure the entire franchise will be on sale at some point.
    I bought it for 10 bucks at gamestop.
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Hamz

As far as a Warhammer 40K game goes it was great but as for it being a video game it was very average. There were a lot of parts to the game which just felt very underwhelming and extremely tedious and frustrating for no other reason than "video games".

Avatar image for deactivated-629eab11cc270
    deactivated-629eab11cc270

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought for about $20 on Amazon a long time ago. Was planning to play it today. Decided instead to watch Liam Neeson movies.

I feel okay.

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Totori
    @Zacagawea said:

I bought for about $20 on Amazon a long time ago. Was planning to play it today. Decided instead to watch Liam Neeson movies.

naked gun?
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

Yeah I want to get into the game more, but it has this really annoying glitch in the PC version where it slows down. The framerate is perfect, but the game slows down at random parts like it had a slow mo mechanic or something. I'll be running from one fight to another in slow motion for example. It was weird.

It's too bad cause it's a lot of fun.

Ninja_Welshman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Ninja_Welshman

Download this as part of PSN+. Yet to play it though. Looked kind of repetitive. But hey it's free.

Also......Spaceshh Marine!!

Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Totori
    @MikkaQ said:

Yeah I want to get into the game more, but it has this really annoying glitch in the PC version where it slows down. The framerate is perfect, but the game slows down at random parts like it had a slow mo mechanic or something. I'll be running from one fight to another in slow motion for example. It was weird.

Well if you activate the super mode whatever it's called and aim it does go into slow mo, but if your just running I don't know.
    Jrinswand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jrinswand
    @Hamz said:

As far as a Warhammer 40K game goes it was great but as for it being a video game it was very average. There were a lot of parts to the game which just felt very underwhelming and extremely tedious and frustrating for no other reason than "video games".

Yup. Even though I love Warhammer 40K video games (no real interest in the tabletop stuff or the fanfic that people call "literature"), I had to quit playing a couple of hours in because I got tired of replaying the same checkpoint over and over again. The unique, wade-into-the-middle-of-battle-to-survive game design means that you end up dying quite a bit and it just wasn't worth it to me.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By pweidman

I loved Space Marine. Played it on 360, and it looked and played fantasically. Especially the campaign, but the mp was good too, and then there's that Extermination mode(think Horde)that came out later as DLC(plus a bunch of cool skins:). Relic impressed me and I just hope they can make a sequel with more of the 40K universe on display next time.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By Deranged

It was a really fun rental at best.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By musubi
    @Totori
    @Demoskinos said:
    You do know there's a ton of Warhammer games outside just space marine right? That's if you dont count the expansions.
    Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Totori
    @Demoskinos said:
    @Totori
    @Demoskinos said:
    You do know there's a ton of Warhammer games outside just space marine right? That's if you dont count the expansions.
    Yeah but 10 bucks is practically free to me. 
    bicycleham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By bicycleham

@Totori said:

@Zacagawea said:

naked gun?

Liam Neeson, not Leslie Nielson.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By musubi
    @Totori
    @Demoskinos said:
    @Totori
    @Demoskinos said:
    Yeah but 10 bucks is practically free to me. 
    I get that. What I'm saying is you expressed further interest in the series. And the rest of the games are all on steam.
    Totori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Totori
    @Xolare said:

@Totori said:

@Zacagawea said:

naked gun?

Liam Neeson, not Leslie Nielson.

oooooooh Now there's a buddy cop movie 
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#21  Edited By Sooperspy

I got like halfway through the campaign when I rented it at the beginning of the year. Not sure why I stopped playing but I have it again thanks to PS+. I should definitely finish it.

ArcLyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ArcLyte

Yeah, this game is great.

Avatar image for warlockengineermoredakka
    WarlockEngineerMoreDakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@Totori said:

@Giantstalker said:

Pretty much. :P

It's actually marines on chaos- but Chaos is just Chaos marines, so... It is indeed literally marine on marine. :P

I ended up getting the Onlive version and enjoyed it- I just wish the multiplayer for the onlive version wasn't dead. :( (I don't know if it was ever updated with the Dreadnought mode... I should check...)

Aronman789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By Aronman789

@Jrinswand: Those books are actually pretty good sometimes, the Ciaphas Cain series is gold.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#25  Edited By ajamafalous
    @Totori said:
    @MikkaQ said:

Well if you activate the super mode whatever it's called and aim it does go into slow mo, but if your just running I don't know.
    No, he's talking about a glitch that's very well known and affects a ton of users (myself included). No response from Relic, of course, and at this point in the game's life, I don't expect one.
    MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By MikkaQ

@ajamafalous said:

@Totori said:
    @MikkaQ said:

Well if you activate the super mode whatever it's called and aim it does go into slow mo, but if your just running I don't know.
    No, he's talking about a glitch that's very well known and affects a ton of users (myself included). No response from Relic, of course, and at this point in the game's life, I don't expect one.

Which makes it extra sad. At least I bought it on sale though, but yeah it's just kills what feels like is an awesome game.

joshthebear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By joshthebear

I have this from gamefly and kind of got bored with it. All of the 40K stuff is great but the gameplay is just average at best.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#28  Edited By Hizang

It was an alright game, similar to 50 Cent Blood on the San, just alright.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

#29  Edited By bobafettjm

I just finished the campaign today. I really enjoyed most of the game, but the last hour or so the repetition really set in and I started to get frustrated at parts. Overall though I found it to be much better than I had thought it was going to be.

herocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By herocide

@WarlockEngineerMoreDakka said:

@Totori said:

@Giantstalker said:

Pretty much. :P

It's actually marines on chaos- but Chaos is just Chaos marines, so... It is indeed literally marine on marine. :P

I ended up getting the Onlive version and enjoyed it- I just wish the multiplayer for the onlive version wasn't dead. :( (I don't know if it was ever updated with the Dreadnought mode... I should check...)

It's also got pretty deep customization with a ton of parts and colours to pretty up your Loyalist/Chaos marines with.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Seedofpower

As a fan of the lore, I wish the single player was better. Also, You're fighting on a forge world and you don't run into one tech priest? What the fuck!

MightyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -2

#32  Edited By MightyDuck

Would any of you recommend the game to someone who really has no background in the 40k universe what so ever? Just curious, I've seen some pros and cons to both sides from what I can tell.

bobafettjm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 69

#33  Edited By bobafettjm

@MightyDuck: I quite enjoyed it despite knowing next to nothing about Warhammer. I would say if you have PS+ get it for sure, if not maybe download a demo.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ravenlight

@Hamz said:

That's a terrific summary of Space Marine. I loved the part were I was a giant murder dude who inserted U's into every other word, but when it came down to actually playing the game, I struggled to care.

I still think there's room for sequel but I'm not sure what they'd have to change gameplay-wise to get me engaged again.

MildMolasses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#35  Edited By MildMolasses

I played it after finishing up Dawn of War II, and I was really underwhelmed. It's totally competent in everything it does, but the whole game seems like one long fetch quest where they just keep coming up with new things that you have to run off to find. It just wasn't very engaging, but the shooting did feel pretty good

mscupcakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#36  Edited By mscupcakes

I really loved the universe in this game, I ended up buying Dawn of War II and Chaos Rising shortly afterward and I wasn't disappointed.

Revan_NL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Revan_NL

Got it through PlayStation Plus, it's okay I guess. Not my favorite 2011 game of 2012 but I do enjoy the "Spaaaace Marine" screams of the orks every time.

Avatar image for thesoutherndandy
    TheSouthernDandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TheSouthernDandy

That game was awesome, loved it. The execution mechanic could occasionally be frustrating, getting killed while going through the animations, as awesome as they were, sucked. Aside from that though that game was super great. MP was a lot of fun too specially Dreadnought mode. I really hope Relic makes a sequel although I'm not holding my breath.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Vexxan

I bought it on sale a while back and played through the campaign which I think was pretty good. I've never been involved in anything Warhammer so I wasn't really immersed in the story but it sure was a solid 6 hours of hacking, slashing, smashing and shooting.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Meowshi

@Jrinswand said:

@Hamz said:

Yup. Even though I love Warhammer 40K video games (no real interest in the tabletop stuff or the fanfic that people call "literature")

If anything, it is the games that are "fanfiction", not the actual company-sponsored tabletop game and literature. Though it's an incorrect usage of the term in both cases.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#41  Edited By MEATBALL

Space Marine just doesn't really seem to click with me. Rushing into a group of orks, shoulder tackling a few of them and then going to town with the chainsword is pretty great, but it's not long before I find myself just really uninterested in the whole thing.

deadmanforking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By deadmanforking

The game would have been better with an Ork campaign!

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deadmanforking said:

The game would have been better with an Ork campaign!

Zug zug.

supamon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By supamon

The game was alright but hopefully it shows that people want a better and more expansive warhammer 40k game. Fingers crossed for Dark Millennium!

Avatar image for bourbon_warrior
    Bourbon_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bourbon_Warrior

@Totori: Liam Neeson doing comedy?

Bismarck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Bismarck

Playing it on PC, and I loved the game. I hope in the near future that they'll add more game modes. The Co-op survival is awesome and the dreadnought mode aswell.

Metalhead980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Metalhead980

Space Marine is PC gamers version of Gears of War 3. IMO its a great game. Played through it twice and enjoyed the MP for twenty or so hours before moving on.

Phr4nk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Phr4nk0

I look forward to picking this up at a bargain price later on. As time goes by my suspicions of if being a overlooked though slightly flawed game seem to be getting confirmed.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By me3639

I have over 80 hours logged playing this game mainly because im still trying to get that final horde mode arena achievement. Super addictive, really hope they do a sequel.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By handlas

is it worth 0 dollars tho? I'm still contemplating hitting the d/l button.

Is the multiplayer pretty active?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.