Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii U

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii U, the follow-up to the monstrously popular Nintendo Wii console, launched in North America on November 18th 2012.

Is it too late to buy a wii-u?

Avatar image for holycrapitsadam
    holycrapitsadam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By holycrapitsadam

I've wanted a wii-u for a little while now. There are a bunch of great games I want to play on the console including: Mario kart, smash bros, splatoon, Mario maker, etc. I'm just curious if I should get one now or just wait and get the nx in a couple years (or maybe next year?)

Naoiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't think it is. Even if the only other big first party games coming out are Star Fox and Zelda, there are a large amount of games to play still. The NX is a bit of a mystery. As of now they haven't even said it would be backward compatible.Then again, I should say I am a nintendo fan so maybe I'm just biased.

LionsLinden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I would wait. With Nintendos record of doing BC and no idea of the NX right now it doesn't seem worth it to me right now.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would say no. I didn't even bother picking up a wii until they released those late rpgs for it (which I've yet to get too.) So whatever's kept you from getting it now..well I mean likely the NX will suffer the same fate as the Wii U at this rate. The games people really want will just be updates of games on the Wii U (smash brothers, the next mario kart, etc) so until those get released..years after the console itself releases realistically, people will still be playing on the Wii U.

That said there is nothing to indicate the NX will release any earlier then 2017 or 18. Like they only announced it super early because they had investors and people worried about them abandoning the console business altogether. I think a lot of people have viewed it getting announced as a "yes we are working on it" to be in the same vein as say the Xbox 1 or ps4 announcement..but its not the same at all. LIke it would be as if they announced "Hey we are working on a ps4" maybe 1 or 2 years before they actually did. To expect it to come out within the next 18-24 months is, I think, wrong.

Unless of course it does. In which case nintindo isn't really releasing a new console..they are releasing this generation's console, and it will indeed suffer the exact same fate as the Wii U short of some major luck with their next gimmick (if the 'its a system and a handheld hold true). They release a console on the power level of the x-box 1/ps4..and then a year or two later we get the ps5 and etc. Thus, the NX gets a bunch of ports, brief third party support..and then just becomes a glorified secondary console.

But to get back on point. Sure get it now, sure wait. The price of those games you mentioned basically never drops so, the cost will be the same now as it will be later.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Mcfart

I'd wait. NX might have backwards compatibility.

If you waited until now, then no reason to not wait longer.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you get a Wii U now it'll set you back as low as $200 for a refurbished system vs whatever price the new system will be, rumors have it that it might be pretty high end, perhaps ahead of the PS4 (don't quote me on this), so it might be fairly expensive.

A new console has next to no major titles worth playing for the first year or so unless there's one super special one in particular they announce, while you already have a backlog of games you want to play on the U.

There's no guarantee the next system will have backwards compatibility so you might still be missing out on the ones you want to play right now.

For online games, Splatoon in particular, there's a chance the community will have moved on by the time you get to it.

Really it depends on if the games you'd want to play justify the price point, and if you have the patience to wait.

qreedence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

I got one like a month ago, don't regret it. Mario Maker is super fun! And totally worth it. And there's other stuff too, like Woolly World and Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros U. Zelda seems like it might not make it, but whatever. If you want it, go for it!

Avatar image for giantlizardking
    GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, not at all. You will be buying it for the existing catalog(which is are excellent), not the future releases ( which are nearly non existent).

Avatar image for tournamentofhate
    TournamentOfHate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I bought my Wii U a year ago mostly for Bayonetta 2 & Mario Kart and I play it more than my other consoles or my PC(I also play Hyrule Warriors, The Wonderful 101, Splatoon, Mario Maker & ZombiU). The only games on the horizon I could see myself getting for it are Xenoblade Chronicles X, the new Zelda(if it comes out for Wii U and not NX exclusive), and maybe Star Fox if that's good?

One argument I'm gonna throw out there for not waiting to get one is that all those games that you mentioned will take forever to drop in price(normal for Nintendo 1st party), so might as well just get them now and take advantage of the still active online communities for them. It would be awesome if the NX was full backwards compatible and people could play their games of Mario Kart, Smash & Splatoon online and all that but even if they are who knows how many people will still be playing those games at least 2+ years from now when the NX finally comes out.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By Atwa

I don't get this argument.

I mean, if you didn't have a PS3, even buying that now is a fantastic proposition. You will have games for years.

And while the Wii-U doesn't have as big of a library as that, it has a healthy library of games that will make it worth buying at anytime because of the amount of games you can play.

I adore my Wii-U. We also have Xenoblade Chronicles X coming up this year.

OK, maybe the NX will have backwards compatability, but then you have to wait for maybe two years and its not guaranteed that it will have it.

I would say, if there are enough games that you really want to play, go ahead you will get your moneys worth.

Painkiller80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you are thinking about it I would do it. a lot of good games and the WiiU pad is good for watching TV and playing a game. On Sundays I watch a lot of football and play Mario Cart.

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#12 riostarwind  Moderator

It is never to late to buy older hardware. After all we don't really know how the NX will be set up. Sure Nintendo is usually reliable about having some backwards compatibility but if the rumors are true I kinda doubt they will have that in the NX. Plus black friday is coming up so I'm sure you'll be able to get a reasonable deal on it.

Death_Metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It never is, tons of great exclusives and then you got the entire Wii library being backwards compatible. This is without even talking about some of the gems to be found on eshop(for both WiiU and Wii) especially for me since I always wanted to play the Castlevania games on GBA/GB but never was able to since I didn't own the handhelds...until now thanks to the WiiU.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not if you enjoy great games you can't get anywhere else.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I highly doubt we are going to see the NX until winter of 2017, which is quite a ways away. I'd say at this point in time it's very much worth it to pick up a Wii U, even if games stopped coming out for it right this moment. Which is not the case. The system already has a strong backlog for the price of the machine, because like someone said, if you buy used you could get one for under 200 bucks.

It's also the only system you will ever be able to play Wonderful 101 or Bayonetta 2 on, two fantastic games that not a lot of people have played and deserve praise (yes, Platinum has a decent fanbase, but in general those games sold like absolute trash).

lancereagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@holycrapitsadam: I think it might be a bit too early. The NX may play the WiiU games and even if not, when they announce it the U will have a price drop.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only want to play bayonetta 2, mario maker and maybe that zelda game. Even though i grew up on nintendo I have almost zero nostalgia for their franchises, which i guess is their entire business plan lol. I'll probably wait until it's dirt cheap

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm in this position as well. I've been putting off buying one for awhile now and I'm afraid the NX will be announced as BC. It has nothing to do with the price, I just don't want another console I may not need taking up room.

Jellybones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got one over the summer and I love the thing. Mario Maker and Splatoon are particularly fantastic. Regardless of the future, I feel like it's worth the investment right now.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By Tom_omb

I use my Wii U every day. Think of all the great games you could be playing in the next two years before the NX comes out. Now think of the much darker alternate future without Mario Kart, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Smash Bros and Zelda Wii U.

Also Miiverse is the best social network.

civid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hyrule Warriors is only on the Wii U

... ... ...

You should buy a Wii U

Scottjay01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Scottjay01

No, IMO The Wii U is a great buy and has the best exclusives, Super Mario 3D World, Mario Maker, Smash Bros U, Bayonetta 2, Yoshi's Wooly World, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Wonderful 101, New SMB U.

And Xenoblade, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem, Star Fox and Zelda Coming.

It's a great buy, as someone that has all 3 current console's, I cannot recommend the Wii U enough!

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's not too late to buy an NES. The games never go away.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Never never never never never never never!

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'd say go for it, as I really can't imagine the NX also having this weird touchscreen controller business.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Regarding backwards compatibility...even assuming NX will have it (not sure, but I'd lean towards probably), if you have time to play some of the WiiU's best right now then IMO it's worth picking it up. Otherwise you'll probably never play those games because you'll be busy with whatever is new if/when you get an NX. Of course if it's the case that even if you had a WiiU right now you wouldn't be playing it, then no reason to pick one up. It's not going to get more expensive or anything.

I suppose there is the matter of cost to consider (if you're worried about buying WiiU now and NX when it comes out), but personally I feel even the $300 bundles (incl. a game) are worth it if interested in at least 5 of the WiiU games out right now. Though you might want to wait until holiday sale prices since there could be some inventory clearing in store. And of course it would probably be worth holding off on the NX for 6 months - 1 year unless they somehow have an amazing launch game (not to mention it could even end up getting delayed...Nintendo does have enough capital to wait a bit, and it would be pretty brutal if the NX was a flop).

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

It is not too late.

I don't own one yet, but I plan on getting by years end. After the latest leak about NX, and speculation about it being out by July 2016, I was considering waiting. After thinking it over, reading thougths on the speculation, and hearing the folks at Giantbomb weight in I think it's safe to buy a Wii U now. There is absolutely no way the NX is out next year. With about a year and a half to two years until the NX and the pretty great looking library for the Wii U, I think it's a great purchase.

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

WiiU is already getting emulated as we speak, just buy a decent gaming PC instead.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By paulmako

@brundage said:

WiiU is already getting emulated as we speak, just buy a decent gaming PC instead.

I guess I'll bite.

Even if they did manage to get the emulation running well, it wouldn't be the same. Splatoon and Super Mario Maker are the best things about the WiiU to me and I can't see that experience being anywhere close to replicated on a work in progress emulation.

Anyway, OP, you've got a list of games you want to play! Pick one up, maybe look for christmas bundles or see if anything happens for Black Friday! Also, if you never got a Wii, it's a good way to play some of those games too.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#31  Edited By HadesTimes

Well, you've waited this long, I would wait until Nintendo announces the NX and does a price cut on the Wii U. I'm sure the games will be cheaper by then too. If you are concerned about playing online with people, maybe not wait that long. But otherwise, why not, there is really no reason not to wait.

Personally, I'm waiting until the system is about half the current price. There are around 7-10 games I want, so really there is no rush. But I might just skip the Wii U completely if the NX is cool enough.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

If I were to guess, the NX will be a holiday 2017 release, which is still two years away. We'll probably get some details next E3. I have some doubts about backwards compatibility because of the Wii U Gamepad. I doubt they'd make one for the NX, and even if they did, it seems even more doubtful it would come with the system, meaning you'd have to either buy one separate, or use the old one. Sure, backwards compatibility for the controller worked fine from the Wii to Wii U, but the Wii had a huge install base. There aren't a lot of controllers around, so Nintendo can't count on everyone having one, and it's integral to the experience in many Wii U games.

I could be wrong, but I doubt we'll see what the system really is until 2017. If you have games you want to play, then I wouldn't wait.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still waiting for them to confirm that that gd Zelda is still indeed a Wii U exclusive. Or maybe we'll get a Twilight Princess situation where it'll also come out on the NX.

SirAzalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By SirAzalot

I'm in the same boat. Never got one because I couldn't justify the price because I like the games but not several hundred dollars like them. Just moved in with my girlfriend tho and she loves that shit. Didn't see my 3ds for a month. So Im using her as an enabler and picking one up shortly.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Too late? Do you think the Wii U library of games is suddenly going to dissappear? The system has a really solid lineup of exclusive games right now.

MostlySquares

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worth it for Miiverse alone. It's like the internet if the internet was a place with next to no assholes. It's just so lovely in there.

Anyway, the games are fantastic. If the next nintendo console doesn't have a secondary screen, then mario maker on NX with backwards compat would probably be way less fun than it is on the Wii-U.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ea35e2382c82
    deactivated-5ea35e2382c82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not that confident that the NX will have backwards compatibility with the Wii U, especially if it seems to be leaning more in the handheld direction than your typical console. They've also been putting out bundles with some popular games on a pretty consistent basis and you can probably find a used model (like I did) for a reasonable price.

blackichigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When is it ever too late to buy a console? The longer you wait, the more games there will be to play on it. If you are waiting for whatever the NX is, that is a bit of a toss up. I would imagine the buy-in for a NX will be significantly greater than a Wii-U only to play games that you want to play right now. If you want to wait and see how things turn out, I wouldn't blame you.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. It's still for sale.

hellerphant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I use my Wii U quite a bit, but ultimately it depends on what you will be playing on it. if you want to play the flagship Nintendo titles, I say go for it. Between Mario Kart 8 and SSB for multiplayer mayhem, Super Mario 3D World, New Super Mario Bros. U & Mario Maker for your platforming needs, Bayonetta 2 for the action and Wind Waker HD for nostalgia, you will get a fair amount of use out if it.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

As long as you know what you're getting (i.e. A Nintendo console that plays Nintendo games) I think it's well worth a purchase. Bayonetta 2 and Super Mario 3D World are some of my favorite games of the last few years.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's quite literally the perfect time this very min-ohhhh, well, too late now.

poisonjam7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

I don't know why you guys are assuming the next Nintendo console will be backwards compatible. You realize the Wii and Wii U are the only consoles they've made that ever did that, right? The SNES, N64 and GCN all were not backwards compatible. They really only have a history of doing that with handhelds and not home consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b
    deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Do buy one. It's not too late to buy a WiiU for Mario Kart. Buy the things that let you play the games you want. It's not too late to buy a SNES to play Chrono Trigger, nor a Genesis to play Sonic 3, nor a Sega Saturn to play Off-World Interceptor Extreme.

takashichea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It's not too late. Was surprised that the Wii U was backwards compatible when I bought mine for the family after the Wii had disc reading issues.

I was surprised about that it can transfer data from Wii to Wii including your Virtual Console games.

The only flaw I seen with backwards compatibility between Wii and Wii U was the DS compatibility element with games like Pokemon Coliseum and Animal Crossing I believe. You can't use your DS with the Wii game on the Wii U.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think based on all the exclusives released thus far, and the (presumably) final batch coming next year, it's worth the $200 ish dollars it costs. I've actually been using my Wii U a lot lately because of Mario Maker, and I do really like the console and wish Nintendo would just keep making their first party stuff for it and not release the NX for another couple years.

@poisonjam7 Well, their last two consoles WERE backwards compatible, so doesn't that make the possibility seem more likely than basing it on their old stuff?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.