Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

NBA JAM Remake Wii-Bound

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

No Caption Provided
    ESPN is reporting EA have aquired the rights to NBA Jam. according to the sports site the game will be remade for the Nintendo Wii, with original creator Mark Turmell set to return alongside other veterans in order to add some authenticity into the remake.  I loved the original so I'm all for this, hopefully all works out well, it should do based on the team assembled.

http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/news/story?id=4795625
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

As long as it gets a decent budget and effort it should be good. Not like the last time they tried a revival...

And better than the last few EA Sports titles. Some of them were good but all still scream low budget to me.

They should totally allow you to use the pointer to position your teammate like in PES. But they probably won't :(

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud

This got me excited. I'm hoping they add some new game play elements, but appearance wise I hope it looks like the old games, playing as today's NBA players with it looking like old NBA Jam would be a trip. 

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Meowayne

OMG NO WAI

NBA Jam is the first and only basketball-game I have ever had fun with. Let's hope this is a Punch-Out!!-style remake! 

*prepares for disappointment the moment this is announced not to support MotionPlus*

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Al3xand3r

Classic controls plox... One button for pass, one shoot, one turbo. Maybe optional waggle for dunks and the pointer I mentioned.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Snail

So remaking old school sports games on the Wii is a trend now?

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Stephen_Von_Cloud
    @Meowayne said:
    " OMG NO WAI  NBA Jam is the first and only basketball-game I have ever had fun with. Let's hope this is a Punch-Out!!-style remake!   *prepares for disappointment the moment this is announced not to support MotionPlus* "
    Wait.... you don't want the game to change much but you want Motionplus support?  I don't get it.

I for one hope they leave the motionplus jive out of it unless its a tiny part or it really works.  Just give me classic controls.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Al3xand3r

Aren't pretty much all sports games remakes (at best) of past versions? Why does reviving two old franchises make it a Wii trend?

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Meowayne
    @Al3xand3r said:
    " Classic controls plox... One button for pass, one shoot, one turbo. Maybe optional waggle for dunks and the pointer I mentioned. "
    No. Fuck the classic controller. If I want traditional controls, I'll play my 360.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Al3xand3r

No, fuck motion plus for JAM. I didn't say classic controller, I said classic controls. Play Wii Sports Resort if you want motion plus basketball. JAM is classic and should remain so. The game's not announced for 360 so the Wii's the only chance we have for classic JAM and I want it classic. Thx. There's absolutely no reason to call it JAM if it's going to be a vastly different experience anyway. PES managed to remain PES and add great Wii specific features, they should try to achieve that with JAM also where applicable, not everywhere just to boast about motion plus support.

I love the shots in Wii Sports Resort but they can't make the whole game work like that. It would have to be first or third person behind view for the shots to be appropriate, just like Wii Sports Resort, which isn't a view suitable for a somewhat proper basketball game. Maybe they could have that just for foul shots though, that'd be a decent way to implement it without changing the whole game or cutting to different camera angles mid-game whenever you prepare to shoot, or worse yet having you shoot like that while actually watching the side view, or whatever dodgy way they think up.

Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Meowayne said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

" Classic controls plox... One button for pass, one shoot, one turbo. Maybe optional waggle for dunks and the pointer I mentioned. "
    No. Fuck the classic controller. If I want traditional controls, I'll play my 360. "
    They aren't releasing this for 360 though.  Apparently according to this rumor at least.  No motion controls!  Wouldn't work for a basketball game.
    rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By rallier
    @Al3xand3r: But... i want to power dunk
    Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#13  Edited By Driadon

This brings to light an important question: "NBA Jam: Wii-Bound" greatest name for a Wii game? 

On a more serious note, this is either great news that companies are well aware of nostalgia and want to capitalize on it by faithful remakes or terrible news that companies are well aware of nostalgia and will make the cheapest game possible that they know will sell based entirely on the name. 
     Seeing as this generation has proved that you tend to need quality over marketing, I'm hoping for the former.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By Willy105

Dude! I made a thread about this yesterday!

But anyway, it's ridiculous to think this game won't use Motion Controls. There is a reason it's Wii exclusive. Anytime that happens it's because the game won't work/won't be as fun with a normal controller because it was designed for the Wii Remote.

Heck, Wii Sports Resort has a great example of Basketball, and it doesn't even use the Nunchuck.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Meowayne
    @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    " @Meowayne said:

" @Al3xand3r said:

No. Fuck the classic controller. If I want traditional controls, I'll play my 360. "
    They aren't releasing this for 360 though.  Apparently according to this rumor at least.  No motion controls!  Wouldn't work for a basketball game. "
    Have you played with MotionPlus?
    Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Meowayne said:
    " @Stephen_Von_Cloud said:
    "

They aren't releasing this for 360 though.  Apparently according to this rumor at least.  No motion controls!  Wouldn't work for a basketball game. "
    Have you played with MotionPlus? "
    Yes.  What does it do for a basketball game?  I know the basketball in Wii Sports Resort is pretty fun but it's not a full fledged basketball game and covers very little of the sports' elements.

And this doubly applies to NBA Jam, which doesn't need motion controls in any way.  I play some Jam every once in a while and the gameplay is classic and still fun.  I think they should add some new gameplay elements but motion controls would only bog the game down.
    thebeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By thebeast

Continue this discussion over here - cheers.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.