Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wolfenstein

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Aug 18, 2009

B.J. Blazkowicz returns, guns blazing, to stop the Nazis from harnessing the power of an alternate dimension known as the Black Sun.

Beyond The Veil Of The New Wolfenstein

Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Edited By Brad
    When you hear someone is working on a new Wolfenstein game, there are a few essential questions that spring to mind, and I got to answer all of them when I saw Raven's upcoming addition to id Software's irreverent World War II franchise last week at GDC. Is B.J. Blazkowicz still around? Check. Will anyone shout "Mein leben!?" Yes. Are there Nazis in robot suits? Sort of. Do you fight Hitler at the end? Well, no--Hitler's already dead, dude. But that doesn't mean there aren't plenty more weird paranormal German soldiers to kill!

This game--called simply Wolfenstein--happens directly after Return to Castle Wolfenstein, with you as Blazkowicz joining a resistance movement in the fictional German city of Eisenstadt. You're tracking down the wily forces of the Third Reich, who through some lucky excavations have managed to harness the power of the Veil, a sort of extra-dimensional energy layer that sits on top of normal reality and hides some weird, supernatural secrets. Surprise: You'll quickly find an amulet that lets you get your Veil on, too. It's a good thing, too, since you'll probably need all the help you can get 

Wolfenstein uses very familiar first-person shooter controls and gameplay concepts--until you drop into the Veil, that is. The environment immediately takes on an eerie green sheen, which lets you move faster and highlight enemies in brighter colors. You can also find some hidden doors that are only visible in Veil-space, and there are some floating creatures that you can shoot within the Veil to act as exploding barrels against normal enemies. You have a Veil meter, naturally, that ticks down over time, but there are also widespread pools where you can recharge. Lastly, you'll unlock a few specific Veil powers over the course of the game. The only one I saw was Mire, which slows down time. Those powers will be used both in combat and puzzle-solving scenarios, of course.

The biggest surprise about Wolfenstein to me is that it isn't just a linear action game; there are significant open world elements involved. You'll move between hub areas within Eisenstadt where you'll take on story and side missions from the resistance. There will be Nazi opposition in the streets as you move from one mission giver to another, but there will also be underground routes you can find to avoid unwanted combat. Overall, it sounds like you'll have some freedom to tackle missions in the order you want--and to customize your combat experience by earning gold and buying weapon upgrades, like scopes, bayonets, and stripper clips as you complete those missions. That kind of freedom makes me instantly more interested in playing this game than if it had merely ended up being a bunch of action levels strung together in sequence.

Check out this trailer to see some footage of just about every aspect of the playable demo Activision was peddling. It's almost like you were there! The game uses the Doom 3 engine, which admittedly didn't sound too exciting at first, but I think Raven is doing a decent job of making this game look modern on five-year-old technology.

I'll only add that the Ghostbusters-looking gun you see in there, the Veil-powered particle cannon, is a ridiculous amount of fun. Something about running into a room and disintegrating the soldiers in there in a matter of seconds is pretty empowering.

Like all id Software-affiliated games, you can expect Wolfenstein to drop "when it's done."
    Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Brad
    When you hear someone is working on a new Wolfenstein game, there are a few essential questions that spring to mind, and I got to answer all of them when I saw Raven's upcoming addition to id Software's irreverent World War II franchise last week at GDC. Is B.J. Blazkowicz still around? Check. Will anyone shout "Mein leben!?" Yes. Are there Nazis in robot suits? Sort of. Do you fight Hitler at the end? Well, no--Hitler's already dead, dude. But that doesn't mean there aren't plenty more weird paranormal German soldiers to kill!

This game--called simply Wolfenstein--happens directly after Return to Castle Wolfenstein, with you as Blazkowicz joining a resistance movement in the fictional German city of Eisenstadt. You're tracking down the wily forces of the Third Reich, who through some lucky excavations have managed to harness the power of the Veil, a sort of extra-dimensional energy layer that sits on top of normal reality and hides some weird, supernatural secrets. Surprise: You'll quickly find an amulet that lets you get your Veil on, too. It's a good thing, too, since you'll probably need all the help you can get 

Wolfenstein uses very familiar first-person shooter controls and gameplay concepts--until you drop into the Veil, that is. The environment immediately takes on an eerie green sheen, which lets you move faster and highlight enemies in brighter colors. You can also find some hidden doors that are only visible in Veil-space, and there are some floating creatures that you can shoot within the Veil to act as exploding barrels against normal enemies. You have a Veil meter, naturally, that ticks down over time, but there are also widespread pools where you can recharge. Lastly, you'll unlock a few specific Veil powers over the course of the game. The only one I saw was Mire, which slows down time. Those powers will be used both in combat and puzzle-solving scenarios, of course.

The biggest surprise about Wolfenstein to me is that it isn't just a linear action game; there are significant open world elements involved. You'll move between hub areas within Eisenstadt where you'll take on story and side missions from the resistance. There will be Nazi opposition in the streets as you move from one mission giver to another, but there will also be underground routes you can find to avoid unwanted combat. Overall, it sounds like you'll have some freedom to tackle missions in the order you want--and to customize your combat experience by earning gold and buying weapon upgrades, like scopes, bayonets, and stripper clips as you complete those missions. That kind of freedom makes me instantly more interested in playing this game than if it had merely ended up being a bunch of action levels strung together in sequence.

Check out this trailer to see some footage of just about every aspect of the playable demo Activision was peddling. It's almost like you were there! The game uses the Doom 3 engine, which admittedly didn't sound too exciting at first, but I think Raven is doing a decent job of making this game look modern on five-year-old technology.

I'll only add that the Ghostbusters-looking gun you see in there, the Veil-powered particle cannon, is a ridiculous amount of fun. Something about running into a room and disintegrating the soldiers in there in a matter of seconds is pretty empowering.

Like all id Software-affiliated games, you can expect Wolfenstein to drop "when it's done."
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Al3xand3r

Is id even involved in any way? Raven's developing it, some whoever is publishing it, the engine is not id's, so what's id doing?

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Absurd

meh

Coltonio7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Coltonio7

More Wolfenstein...still looks generic. I'll give it a shot, but it better go ALL THE WAY with the Occult Craziness.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By ltcoljaxson

Even though the character models don't look the greatest (something about the helmets looking weird), when it was in motion and all the effects going on... it looked like great fun. Can't wait!

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#6  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Actually looks decent. I am surprised.

Avatar image for origina1penguin
    Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Origina1Penguin

Hell yeah.

Civraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By Civraz

I am liking the almost RPG like customization elements. Earning gold to updgrade weapons? Sounds interesting...

hellknight8619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hellknight8619

sounds unfair to call it irrelevant.  i'm looking forward to it.

conker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By conker

Thats the Doom 3 engine? Wow, looks decent enough for sure, can't wait to get my hands on this.

And to Al3xand3r- raven is developing because id is involved with rage and doom4 now, but they are working very closely with id, according to a gametrailers tv episode.

stephengotlost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By stephengotlost

I love weapon upgrades in first person games. I think that Medal of Honour: Airborne was very underrated, because each level had many objectives that you could tackle freely from any order and from any location. The weapons also leveled up as you got more kills that resulted in new attachments, or more ammo (along with a visibly larger weapon magazine).

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Al3xand3r

Oh, it is the Doom 3 engine then, neat. Though it doesn't look quite as good as Quake Wars. Great game that, shame it didn't attract many.

Avatar image for spilledmilkfactory
    spilledmilkfactory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

User Lists: 23

i'm looking forward to this game despite myself. there isn't a single original concept in the game, but yet it looks very fast paced and entertaining, sort of like a popcorn action flick.

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Media_Master

Liking the trailer!

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By MichaelBach

Not convinced.. but the open world thing like Jeff says sounds interresting. 

Hector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#16  Edited By Hector

AWESOME!

Colonel_Cool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Colonel_Cool

Doom 3 engine? I thought this used id's Tech 5 engine?
    edit- A quick Wikipedia search confirms that this is on the doom 3 engine. Kinda strange, I thought this would have used id's new engine. Also according to Wikipedia, the game takes place in 1943, so there should be room for an appearance from Hitler.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By iamjohn
    Colonel_Cool said:
    "Doom 3 engine? I thought this used id's Tech 5 engine?"
    Rage is the only game using iD Tech 5.  I don't think the engine will even be available for licensing until Rage is out.
    DualFayte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By DualFayte

Lookin' foward to it

Avatar image for thefrostedgamer
    TheFrostedGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By TheFrostedGamer

Trailer didn't really do anything for me. I also want to say I think its a curious choice to use the Doom 3 Engine in 2009. It can be done, sure, but... I duno, draws alot of skepticism out of me. Also it seemed like a lot of the gameplay was choppy in the trailer. I'm not an expert on PR or video editing, but if you're going to sell people on a Doom 3 Engine game in 2009... smooth gameplay?

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By TomA

Yes because we all know the Nazi's were the only ones to commit war crimes during that time.

sofakingcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By sofakingcool

WOW that looks like SHIT! 

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#23  Edited By ahoodedfigure

I was wondering why things looked a bit stiff, but I guess since they're actually using an older engine they should get props for that.  I always liked that Soul Reaver mechanic where you could switch between worlds and find things you couldn't otherwise.  Stuff like that should be used MORE.

Landmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Landmine

Looking good. imho.

piropeople13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By piropeople13

I didn't see the PC logo at the end?  Is this not coming out for PC?!?!  This series was born on the PC for crying out loud!

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Winternet

Well..I'm kinda low on this one..Is it out there a real need for Wolf??..I'm probably thinking no, but hey..It's a game

Osiris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Osiris

That trailer was petty cool tbh

TheSmilingDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By TheSmilingDude

That's a pretty boring trailer, and the Doom 3 Engine? What's up with that? Well I'll just wait and see how that turns out, but a graphical behemoth isn't something we should be expecting :P

Tordah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#29  Edited By Tordah

Awesome, looking forward to this!

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#30  Edited By citizenkane

Looks awesome.  I absolutely loved Return to Castle Wolfenstein.  The MP was one of my favorite game experiences of all time.  I am stoked about this newest installment.

digital_sin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By digital_sin

Looking forward to this game! But it still needs a little bit more polish. RTCW was an awesome game, and definitely a technical feat at it's time, so It's pretty hard to live up to people's expectations.

DevilishSix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32  Edited By DevilishSix

Although it would look better on a newer engine I can see the gameplay is set up to be pretty fun and the story seems to put a twist on the tired WW2 themed games by concentrating on Nazi experiments, that could be really interesting. 

Xiemos2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Xiemos2

looks like it could be pretty cool, I won't discount it yet

giyanks22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#34  Edited By giyanks22

Looks much better than I expected. .

Winternet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Winternet

First impressions: nothing catch my eye

Doogie2K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#36  Edited By Doogie2K

That Veil-o-Vision sounds a bit like the soul-charge mode from Painkiller.  Could be interesting.

Also, from the trailer, those face models are totally Raven: they look exactly like the faces in RtCW, except higher-res.  Let's hope they animate alright.

Reverseface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Reverseface

HECKA NAZI'S

unholyone123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#38  Edited By unholyone123

It might be a modified version of the Doom 3 Engine, which squeezes a little more graphical power.

Colonel_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Colonel_Fury

It looks a lot cooler than I thought it would. I'll definatly check it out.

Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By buzz_killington

great, but BRAD, you didn't tell us what u actually think of the game...

grilledcheez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#41  Edited By grilledcheez
    Winternet said:
    "Well..I'm kinda low on this one..Is it out there a real need for Wolf??..I'm probably thinking no, but hey..It's a game"
    Yeah, if they can make twenty call of duty's why not another wolf?  I for one definitely want the game. :)
    Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Bulldog19892

I just started play Return to Wolfenstein. Hopefully this one will deliver too.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
    SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Sounds kinda like Far Cry 2, only with supernatural weirdness. I liked Far Cry 2. Except that every mission was exactly the same. I was a fan of Raven's Quake 4 so you better believe I'm gonna be playing this.

And don't rip on the Doom3 engine guys, Half Life 2 Episode 2 looked great on Source, which is even older technology, albeit updated (of course I assume this is an updated build of the Doom3 engine). The best graphics I've ever seen all have 60/60 in the corner of the screen.

Roy42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Roy42

I think I might get it, hell, it sure beats playing WW2 games that have been going on for longer than WW2 and keep focusing on America's last good deed as a nation.

Still, in comparison with many other games, the story seems to be the only invigorating thing, the gameplay looks to be very stock standard FPS at the moment, actually, I probably won't get it, RTCW will still satisfy me for long after this flops.

Regards,

≈Roy
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Al3xand3r

Wouldn't expect any MP to the level of ET for those eager for that. If you want that sort of thing, get Enemy Territory: Quake Wars. Same engine, but it looks better too. Splash Damage aren't involved with this. I do wanna see what Raven do with this though, they used to be a pretty solid developer and made some of my favorite games (Jedi Outcast rocked). Maybe they've been granted enough freedom and budget to make something good again.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By TomA

It's a WW2 game that isn't just storming Omaha beach and using M1 Garands untill your eyes bleed. So that's enough to warrant me giving it a shot.

bulletbeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By bulletbeast

looks like an interesting idea but in the end its just another first person shooter

killdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By killdave

Hmmmm

Maybe because killing Nazi's is always cool but ... Im bored of WW2 shooters atm.

Give it a year.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.