Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

World of Warcraft

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Nov 23, 2004

World of Warcraft is an MMORPG that takes place in Blizzard Entertainment's Warcraft universe. At its peak, it boasted a player base of over 12.5 million subscribers, making it the most popular MMO of all time.

Goodbye Goldfarmers

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By angelkanarias
    Sell!
    Sell!
    China has prohibited the sale of virtual money in videogames. This means 85% of the global farmers will be affected by this. This is obviously a big step for the Chinese government, and it won't be easy for them to stop all of it. This ''business'' brings millions of yuens to China. But this law does not mention the sale of virtual objects on these videogames, which I am sure these gold-farmers will take into their advantage. So, no more goldfarmers on the doors of Ogrimmar.

angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By angelkanarias
    Sell!
    Sell!
    China has prohibited the sale of virtual money in videogames. This means 85% of the global farmers will be affected by this. This is obviously a big step for the Chinese government, and it won't be easy for them to stop all of it. This ''business'' brings millions of yuens to China. But this law does not mention the sale of virtual objects on these videogames, which I am sure these gold-farmers will take into their advantage. So, no more goldfarmers on the doors of Ogrimmar.

SniperMOUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By SniperMOUS

Though I have to wonder. Why exactly would they do this? I mean (correct me if I'm wrong please) it seems that this "business" is helpful to their economy.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Keyser_Soze
    @SniperMOUS said:
    " Though I have to wonder. Why exactly would they do this? I mean (correct me if I'm wrong please) it seems that this "business" is helpful to their economy. "
    They probably feel the money this brings in compared to the negative societal impact, (young men spending far too much time in front of computers) is not worth it. How much does Gold farming bring in anyway, $1 Billion a year.... not exactly a massive amount to the Chinese anymore.
    angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By angelkanarias
    @Keyser_Soze said:
    " @SniperMOUS said:
    " Though I have to wonder. Why exactly would they do this? I mean (correct me if I'm wrong please) it seems that this "business" is helpful to their economy. "
    They probably feel the money this brings in compared to the negative societal impact, (young men spending far too much time in front of computers) is not worth it. How much does Gold farming bring in anyway, $1 Billion a year.... not exactly a massive amount to the Chinese anymore. "
    it brings 104 million euros. Anyways, I think keyser has a good point there.
    SniperMOUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By SniperMOUS
    @Keyser_Soze said:
    " @SniperMOUS said:
    They probably feel the money this brings in compared to the negative societal impact, (young men spending far too much time in front of computers) is not worth it. How much does Gold farming bring in anyway, $1 Billion a year.... not exactly a massive amount to the Chinese anymore. "
    Perhaps you're right. I dunno. It just seems like easy money to me. Then again, I might have a jaded view of it.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By jakob187

The Chinese government is getting rid of a business structure that is overriding other domestic companies in almost every category that matters in an economic structure?  Surprise, surprise!  Communism wins.  Flawless victory.

Nonetheless, this only applies to online currency and not items or leveling services.  In turn, they simply stopped Chinese folks from running gold farms.  All of these places can quickly and easily convert their strategies to the loopholes of this law and continue business.  Given that a good number of these gold farms offer up a better income than the average jobs in China, as well as keeps kids indoors and off the streets...it's a bit better than what they COULD be doing.  I'm not condoning the idea of sweatshops, but at the same time, things COULD be much worse.
    End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By End_Boss

Just because it's illegal, doesn't mean it will stop.

Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Out_On_Bail

Yeah gone today but tomorrow they'll figure out a new way to make that money. All the same - good riddance. I wish we could make it illegal to buy the gold here in America too, damn cheaters make me sick.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By jakob187
    @Out_On_Bail said:
    " Yeah gone today but tomorrow they'll figure out a new way to make that money. All the same - good riddance. I wish we could make it illegal to buy the gold here in America too, damn cheaters make me sick. "
    Cheaters, eh?  Cheaters are those getting fat bonuses from bailout money and there's no punishment being laid down on them.  Buying gold on a video game is the equivalent of me going out and buying Monopoly.  Moreover, it's not like you HAVE to buy the gold.  Games like WoW and Guild Wars throw money at you like it's growing on trees.  Sure, some games like Everquest II or Vanguard make it difficult...when you start...to make money.  That's when I would suggest leveling up your crafting skills and making a slaying.

Also, do you play WoW?  If so, do you use Thottbot?  If so, then you are no better than a gold buyer...since Thottbot is owned and operated by gold sellers who are using that WoW-dedicated search engine to set the prices of items on the AH...
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By Out_On_Bail
    @jakob187: No I don't play wow and have no clue what Thottbot is. Moving on, cheaters are the ones who buy the gold when, like you just mentioned, could just as well earn it like it intended to be.  

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.