Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

360's successor to not play used games?

• 70 results
    Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Seppli

@BionicRadd said:

@Seppli said:

@BionicRadd said:

@Deathawk said:

So Kotaku ran a story today about the next Xbox. It's generally uneventful except when they mention the possibility of an "anti-used game" aspect to the system. This would be terrible if it is true, and would just be another case of people who buy used games being treated like second class citizens.

if you buy used to save 5 bucks when a new copy is sitting right next to it, you are a second class citizen.

that said, this will never happen. one-time digital codes for installs to go disc free may and probably will happen, but they aren't going to give used game retailers like Gamestop the finger. Console manufacturers especially aren't going to.

Why? They can easily use ISPs/Telecommunication companies as distributers for their hardware.

you obviously dont understand how many consoles are bought on a whim while people are out shopping for other crap. hell, the last three consoles I bought were because I was standing in a store for some other reason, had the money in the bank and said screw it, let's do this. consoles are a luxury item and the best way to sell luxury items is to put them in people's faces as often as possible. Retailers drive electronics sales and used game sale do, too. Console manufacturers have no need to deter used game purchases.

the solution to used games is digital and I think we'll see that in this next generation on Sony and MS's machines. Not on the Wii U, because Nintendo doesn't understand the internet, but definitely on the PS4 and 720.

Their cut (licensing fees) is just as lost to the 'middle man' retailer as it is for publishers/investors/producers/developers. It doesn't even make sense for us gamers for our money to get into the hands of a slimey reseller instead of videogame producing entities. And it is only postering anyways, retailers will put consoles on their shelves, as long as they get a decent cut. It's not like people stop buying PC games. They're all bound to a single consumer. The only company really losing significant business are second hand centric retailers like gamestop.

FUCK GAMESTOP

Avatar image for dad_is_a_zombie
    Dad_Is_A_Zombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52  Edited By Dad_Is_A_Zombie

I don't see this happening. Besides, I would like to think Microsoft has bigger concerns for the next console. Such as... not breaking right out of the box like last time.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By WinterSnowblind

@The_LMFAO_Guy said:

Then Sony and Nintendo have an edge over Microsoft if this is true. To be honest, I never really cared for Microsoft's console anyways, I only bought a used Xbox just to play Jet Set Radio Future. Though I feel bad for those that are considering buying the next Xbox because they like Microsoft's gaming franchises. This also could affect me if Sony decides to go for this. I'd imagined Xbox fanboys will be defending this shit because fanboyism equals easily manipulative and stupidity.

Sony have been against the used game market a lot more than Microsoft, all their official games these days come with online passes. If this rumour is true, you can guarantee Sony will be behind it as well.

PC games already have this kind of protection, so it really wouldn't surprise me.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#54  Edited By kindgineer

@g6065 said:

Imagine a Hamburger that eats you!

You made me laugh amongst all this paranoia.

Trilogy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#55  Edited By Trilogy

@TooWalrus said:

They'd probably just charge a $10 unlock fee.

Rofl, could you imagine paying 10 bucks to unlock the game and then another 10 bucks to play it online? Christ...

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#56  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

There was the exact same rumour about the PS3 last time round. It didn't come to fruition, and I'm not expecting this rumour to either.

Kingloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By Kingloo

What if....

Every disc came with a built-in online pass. When you put the disc in for the first time it says "hey, do you want to use this disc's code on your account?". If you do you can install the game to the hard drive and no longer need the disc in the drive to play.

This makes the online pass idea ubiquitous across all 360 games, but now with an actual benefit for the new-buyer.

Now if you sell the game, an offline-only person who buys it will see nothing is different; they can't play the online anyway. If a connected used buyer puts the disc in it says "hey, this disc's code has been used, 10 dollars for another one please".

RuthLoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By RuthLoose

@Demoskinos said:

Not going to happen. They would be shooting themselves in the foot because not everyone has internet access.

The PlayStation 2 exists for these people. For the rest of us...

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By phish09

I don't see it happening. They would be pissing off one of the biggest distributors in their supply chain, which is bad for MS and this said retailer. The only way MS would implement such a system would be if Sony and Nintendo do the same, as this move would put Microsoft at a serious competitive disadvantage.

fisher81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#60  Edited By fisher81

@msavo said:

I'm tired of these idiotic Xbox successor rumors.

This, and it'll never happen. If it does, I'll probably stop playing video games. They're expensive enough as it is.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#61  Edited By sweep  Moderator

@Lunar_Aura said:

Imagine GameStop not selling the next Xbox if this is true.

Pretty much this. The sales that MS will see come from units shipped, not units sold at retail. They wouldn't risk damaging any relationship they might have with their retailers.

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Marcsman

What happens if a friend brings over a game to play? It's unplayable?

Alexandruxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Alexandruxx

@Demoskinos said:

Not going to happen. They would be shooting themselves in the foot because not everyone has internet access.

People that don't have internet access don't matter anymore.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#64  Edited By penguindust

I doubt it. So, basically, I can't even loan a game to my friend. I can't bring a game over to his house so we can play co-op together. I can't give a game I've finished to my nephew. Yeah, I'm not buying that rumor too much. I can see locking a player out of online, but not being able to play the game at all? Sounds like a software publishers wish, but it can't go over big with a hardware maker. Oh, and currently my Xbox is offline so that would mean the new system would basically be a brick. Yes, it's smart to exclude a section of the marketplace that isn't online 24 hours a day. Good way to sell consoles. I'm calling shenanigans on that feature.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By shaunk

If that was true that would suck.

Vexxan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By Vexxan

Well, that sucks. I wouldn't care for shit if GameStop went away but this is a really really dumb idea if it's true.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Deathawk said:

would just be another case of people who buy used games being treated like second class citizens

Well, they are if you are looking at this from a developer's business perspective.

Hell, they're not even that. They're parasites

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#68  Edited By phantomzxro

I would bet if there is any truth to this it would have to be a console wide agreement to in force this tech. Because anyone who does this will be dead in the water if the other two does not partake on this. So i don't know how this would work other then coping the PC model of every game will have a key of sort that unlock so many times or gets linked to a system.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#69  Edited By jakob187

When will people realize that moving AWAY from DRM will cause less piracy?

Avatar image for shadowmervillus
    ShadowMervillus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By ShadowMervillus

Damn it's hard being a gamer on budget, if they're going against used games so strongly. Many times I find myself buying used games because, let's face it, games are freakin' expensive (and the used games I buy range from $10-$40). Or many times it's a game I'm curious to play but did not feel it was worth 60 bones. Locking people from playing used to games is ridiculous and feels like "Big Brother". Why I can't I lend my friend a copy of game I already finished, who are they to stop us.

And it's also a headache for those who rent games, I just started Gamefly around November and the first game I rented was Battlefield 3. Single-Player was meh..but when I tried to play multiplayer I had to put in access code and I totally forgot about that whole online gaming pass. Even though paying $10 dollars wasn't too bad, I wasn't expecting to spend money. Now when I'm choosing games to rent, I have to mindful that they do not require any online pass (like Arkham City).

I wish there was some type of agreement game companies can make with Gamestop (and the like) where they can make some money off these used sales as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.