Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Dashboard Ads - How do you feel?

• 52 results
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain

How do you feel about the new dashboard ads now that we've got a video of them?

http://kotaku.com/5318124/new-dashboard-commercials-bring-ad-breaks-to-your-360

Honestly i'm still way less than happy about this. I'm pleased that they wont be taking up whole screens, or forcing me to watch while doing stuff. But if it's going to be playing away in the background I certainly don't want to have to listen to the damned thing while i'm trying to browse my games list or whatever.

Honestly, Microsoft make enough money out of me, i'm a supporter of businesses right to squeeze more money out of their products but this is borderline too much. If I can choose to mute the ads, or they don't start playing sound until you click on them to watch, I can deal with that it's no different to the current game based ads (although moving pictures are a little more distracting)

But if i'm forced to listen to them as well, I may just call it a day. I'm going to be eagerly awaiting the dashboard update with my Xbox disconnected from live, and if people are forced to hear the ads as well as just see them, I will in fact seriously consider never connecting my box to live again, and ceasing all Xbox related purchases. I'm a huge huge fan of the Xbox, but already paying a nice fee for Live, I do not see why I should also be subjected to advertisments on my own dashboard.

That's like putting adverts in my back yard, you know, it's invasive and I do not want it.

But hey, if I don't have to listen to it, I can put up with it. So we'll see how it goes.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By mracoon

I'm quite annoyed because I'm already paying for the service so I don't expect to see things like this. I can understand for silver members maybe but I think it's stupid to have for those you already charging.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By mordukai

Middle of your halo 3 game...and now for a quick word from our sponsor...

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @mracoon:

Yeah i'm really hoping that gold members at least don't have to deal with it. Even then, for a product you pay a large cash sum for to show you adverts 24/7 is pretty fucking low tbh. I don't see my DVD player showing me ads all the time (maybe some of the DVDs but that's no different to a game containing a trailer for another game in its menus, happens from time to time) but the machine itself? Hell no, that makes me very very unhappy.
    bacongames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By bacongames
    @mracoon said:
    " I'm quite annoyed because I'm already paying for the service so I don't expect to see things like this. I can understand for silver members maybe but I think it's stupid to have for those you already charging. "
    This.  The internet model has always stayed true to the creed that a payed subscription means no ads and it makes every sense in the world for silver accounts to have ads.  It would be cool if you could allow ads to show up and get a few gold member privileges.
    The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Mordukai said:
    "Middle of your halo 3 game...and now for a quick word from our sponsor... "

This is my biggest fear. If at any point I am ever FORCED to watch an ad, like, no getting out of it in order to continue, that's it i'll hang up my controller and retire. Fuck that. I don't mind them hanging around in the background, or on the internet, but if ever it comes to that and i'm not seeing a benefit from the product being ad-funded, i'm done.
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By iamjohn

I find complaining about this to be incredibly petty.  It costs you a second out of your life at most to immediately hit up and go to the My Xbox page if you're so set on not seeing them.  They're a business not a charity, and they need to make money to keep the service cheap and useful.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By Vinchenzo

Realistically we are already putting up with ads; albeit ads that we might care about. In regards to this new crap they are spewing out? I sort of hate them for it. I will continue to support the XBL service but they are making it difficult. Until any other services provide party chat though... I'll deal with it. Party chat was Microsoft's saving grace in my opinion. Other than that I've slowly been frustrated with how slow the guide pops up and leaves the screen. I use to be able to check my friend's list in-between deaths but not anymore.

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Druminator

Hm, when it comes down to it, it's not a big deal because they're don't force you to watch them but on the other hand, Live isn't free so why are they needing ad support now?

iGaboru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#10  Edited By iGaboru

I despise ads in any form or presentation so you can guess my answer from that.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By iam3green

dang this will suck. i have to say that i have a slow internet (DSL) i'm hoping that my internet is slow that the videos for the ad don't load. i hate seeing ads in games. the only game i want to see ads are racing games. racing games have a lot of sponsors so i could understand seeing that.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PureRok
    @iAmJohn said:
    " I find complaining about this to be incredibly petty.  It costs you a second out of your life at most to immediately hit up and go to the My Xbox page if you're so set on not seeing them.  They're a business not a charity, and they need to make money to keep the service cheap and useful. "
    You know, beside the money they are already taking from your wallet.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#13  Edited By Pie

Either gold members dont have to put up with it or they make gold free for everybody

Oriental_Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Oriental_Jams

I really don't mind that much, I've always been a tiny bit peeved to pay to play, but I've always thought that it's been worth it- ads won't ruin my experience and since it appears there that they may on be on the 'Inside' bar anyway, I doubt I'll ever see them as I never look there.

absinthetic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By absinthetic

i dont mind the ads, but i far much prefered the blades than NXE.

it just feels like there is too much going on which in turn makes it feel cluttered

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By Radar

Ridiculous. One of the bullet points of being a gold member should be no ads. I already pay for the service, the box, the games, the accessories. Why must Microsoft double dip on all fronts?

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17  Edited By Captain_Insano

while I agree that it sucks as I am already paying enough money for it, things like cable and pay TV charge you exhorbitant amounts of money and also put on regular advertisements during shows so it is not that different

SniperMOUS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SniperMOUS
    @Captain_Insano: Though, I think (at-least this is what I believe) that the gaming industry has always tried to put themselves above most other forms of entertainment. Like, they won't force adverts into them and such. For instance, I've never in my life seen a forced trailer shown at the opening for a game like I have in every movie I've ever watched (no matter how out-dated the movie is).

Really, the only difference between this and television commercials and the like is that everyone has pretty much become complacent with T.V. commercials and stuff. No, no-one likes them (I believe) but they've been around so long that no-one cares. Gaming, on the other hand, has never really done anything like this so people are really opposed to it. If it stays, people will eventually become complacent to this and think of it as nothing more than a minor nuisance just like with T.V. (basically meaning that Microsoft is trying to turn their 360 system into a gaming equivalent to a T.V.)

That said, I really dislike this idea and personally feel this really helps prove just how little Microsoft actually cares for the consumers. Maybe I'm off-base considering I don't own a 360 and would sooner die than pay for XBL but from everything I see from Microsoft (monthly payments for online and such) is they are a company that just got into the games industry trying to make as much money as they possibly can. The same can be said for all the companies in the gaming industry but I believe Microsoft doesn't even really try to cover it up and often take it to extremes such as with this.

I guess we'll just have to see how it goes and if it is as big'a problem as it could become. All I know is if:

@Mordukai
    said:
    " Middle of your halo 3 game...and now for a quick word from our sponsor... "
    I am DONE.
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MeierTheRed

I pay for gold, so if they do get ads on there, i don´t see why gold members should have to pay.

Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Daryl

I feel more than one topic on this is enough.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @Captain_Insano said:
    "while I agree that it sucks as I am already paying enough money for it, things like cable and pay TV charge you exhorbitant amounts of money and also put on regular advertisements during shows so it is not that different"

There is actually quite a huge difference here.

Yes you pay a regular subscription fee, and yes, you pay for the box itself (most of the time) but you don't have to pay $60 per TV series you want to watch. You get a huge huge amount of content for the cost when compared to for example, a games console.

Not to mention the fact that, for most cable channel I was anyway, ads are maybe 70% for their own, or other similar channels programs, and 30% bank loans/other bullshit. Besides, television adverts give you the opportunity to get up and go to the toilet without missing anything, get a cup of tea or a snack or just stretch your legs.

These don't offer anything like that, i'm already paying a high premium for the machine itself, more than any tv box, i'm then paying a fee for the privelage of playing online, and then a further fee for the privelage of each game I want to play, I pay for every single aspect of this experience why should I have to have ads on top of that?

I'm a little more comforted now having seen the vid, that ads will not play sound unless you hover over them to watch it. I still maintain that gold members should go without them however, at the very least.
    Nock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Nock

It'll go on the list of the rest of the crap I don't pay attention to. Maybe If these ads do well they'll make live free.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I won't like them, but they will just be a slight nuisance in my overall experience.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By cspiffo

Ads help support a services growth and covers costs.  You people complaining must have no idea what it costs to run anything.  I pay for TV and DVDs.  They have ads.  Heck!  I pay for a meal at McDonalds or eat at my local Diner and the Tray cover or place setting has ads all over it.  Pretty soon you all will get your way and you will wined up paying shitloads for EVERTHING!

As long as the ADs aren't intrusive I don't care.  Some are actually even helpful.  Are you really that uncofortable with your self control (or lack there of) that a few ads ruin your day?

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_A_Drain
    @cspiffo said:
    "Ads help support a services growth and covers costs.  You people complaining must have no idea what it costs to run anything.  I pay for TV and DVDs.  They have ads.  Heck!  I pay for a meal at McDonalds or eat at my local Diner and the Tray cover or place setting has ads all over it.  Pretty soon you all will get your way and you will wined up paying shitloads for EVERTHING!As long as the ADs aren't intrusive I don't care.  Some are actually even helpful.  Are you really that uncofortable with your self control (or lack there of) that a few ads ruin your day?"

Seeing as I studied business, and now study programming alongside business in the games industry, and keep up to date on the business ins and outs of the industry, i'd say i've a fair idea of what things cost, how much money is made and where it goes. Yes, the extra money helps substantially, but don't you think it's a bit of a poke in the eye to customers who already payed you a large sum of money?

Yeah there are ads at fast food joints, because you pay 2 dollars for a burger. You don't pay 10 dollars for the privelage of being there, and then 2 dollars for a burger. I'm also against such adverts appearing in other places such as DVDs. It has nothing to do with self control, it's about respect in my mind, and a company who bombards you with ads clearly doesn't respect you as a consumer, he thinks of you simply as a money pit. Advertising your own stuff is fine, because the consumer is already geniunely interested in your company and it's products given the large fee he's already payed you, he wants information on new releases and etc.

What he doesn't want is yet another way for a company to make money off of him at the expense of even a slight annoyance. Now, if the consumer saw any benefit, any at all even a small benefit, i'd be all for it, heck MS could make as much ad money off of me as they pleased if I saw some appreciation out of it, even a thank you would suffice.

Even if silver members don't get free online, if gold members are not subjected to ads, that will be enough of a thank you in my eyes. If i'm still subjected to ads despite paying my way as a gold member, I would take that as a poke in the eye to be honest, and that's coming from someone who understands the needs and concerns on the business side, people who don't understand that are likely to be far less understanding if they dislike the ads.

Weasler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Weasler

To be honest, as long as the adds don't make sound unless I hover over them, I'll be perfectly fine with them.  Heck, if they give me things like free themes (most of the past XBOX 360 adds have), I'll be more than happy with them (especially if Playboy decides to advertise :P).

Lies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 14

#27  Edited By Lies

Why am I PAYING for an ad-supported service?

That seems ass-backwards.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Godwind

If the ads suck, start complaining.

raidingkvatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#30  Edited By raidingkvatch

If they're just going to be like the game trailers and occassionally movie trailers that are already there I don't care, they're not intrusive, you can just ignore them and go right on by

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#31  Edited By jkz

Sick to the stomach....but that's probably iHop's fault.

In all seriousness, I feel that this just proves that microsoft is a morally questionable conglomerate as a whole. Personally though, I don't really care, although I'd hate for this to justify their expanding the advertising.
    Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Illmatic

Could care less. Sound only pops up if I hover over the ad and if a small window on your screen is that intrusive to your browsing then a problem with focus is most likely at fault. How many here have noticed the Whiskey brand at the bottom of this message board? Probably a small amount if we don't have any smart aleks saying yes for the sake of it. We live in a world where we are desensitized to most of these ads. My mind wanders when commercials come on in television, I switch the station when radio ads come on, and built in ads on sites aren't even noticeable to me. I'm not saying we're complaining for the sake of complaining....I'm just saying.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By LiquidPrince

Glad I don't use my 360 for online. Meaning it's not connected to the net, meaning I didn't get this stupid update.

bigx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By bigx14

as long as these ads dont interfere with my game playing then i could care less.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By EvilTwin

I feel apathetic.

cspiffo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By cspiffo
    @The_A_Drain said:
    " @cspiffo said:
    "Ads help support a services growth and covers costs.  You people complaining must have no idea what it costs to run anything.  I pay for TV and DVDs.  They have ads.  Heck!  I pay for a meal at McDonalds or eat at my local Diner and the Tray cover or place setting has ads all over it.  Pretty soon you all will get your way and you will wined up paying shitloads for EVERTHING!As long as the ADs aren't intrusive I don't care.  Some are actually even helpful.  Are you really that uncofortable with your self control (or lack there of) that a few ads ruin your day?"
    Seeing as I studied business, and now study programming alongside business in the games industry, and keep up to date on the business ins and outs of the industry, i'd say i've a fair idea of what things cost, how much money is made and where it goes. Yes, the extra money helps substantially, but don't you think it's a bit of a poke in the eye to customers who already payed you a large sum of money?Yeah there are ads at fast food joints, because you pay 2 dollars for a burger. You don't pay 10 dollars for the privelage of being there, and then 2 dollars for a burger. I'm also against such adverts appearing in other places such as DVDs. It has nothing to do with self control, it's about respect in my mind, and a company who bombards you with ads clearly doesn't respect you as a consumer, he thinks of you simply as a money pit. Advertising your own stuff is fine, because the consumer is already geniunely interested in your company and it's products given the large fee he's already payed you, he wants information on new releases and etc.What he doesn't want is yet another way for a company to make money off of him at the expense of even a slight annoyance. Now, if the consumer saw any benefit, any at all even a small benefit, i'd be all for it, heck MS could make as much ad money off of me as they pleased if I saw some appreciation out of it, even a thank you would suffice. Even if silver members don't get free online, if gold members are not subjected to ads, that will be enough of a thank you in my eyes. If i'm still subjected to ads despite paying my way as a gold member, I would take that as a poke in the eye to be honest, and that's coming from someone who understands the needs and concerns on the business side, people who don't understand that are likely to be far less understanding if they dislike the ads. "
    Yeah, but nobody's holding a gun to his head telling him to pay up for his XBOX Live! or else.  If he really feels that strongly that his eyes will burn out of his sockets seeing a couple of ad banners then he can just put his wallet in his pocket and walk away.  Last I checked there are other offers out there.  He'll then have to think about what he's missing out on.  If he decides he can live without XBL then fine. You can't pout over it and still pay up though.  It's counterproductive and won't solve anything.  The company is free to charge what it wants.  If live was $10 a month I would not be so willing but for about $40 for 13 mos. (I buy cards) which amounts to only 3.07 a month (or as you call it  "a large sum of money".  How much was that hamburger again?) I get an experience that's better than anything else on the console market, IMO.  I'm willing to put up with a reasonable number of ads for that price.
    Stunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Stunt

Personally, I do not appreciate these ads. I mean, we're already paying $50 a year for the service, a $50 we shouldn't even have to pay, and now Microsoft is throwing more ads at us because they're THAT money hungry? As the Zohan would say, "No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no."

However, I'm not going to go around complaining about it.

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#38  Edited By Pibo47

I really dont care about them.

clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By clubsandwich

that's pretty retarded, why should people get ads if they're already paying for gold? either make XBL Gold free, or don't give us some fucking ads.

Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Sick_J0ke

I really don't care, as long as you're not forced  to watch commercials before you order a movie or download a demo on live then I have no problem with it.

On a personal  note, I think that Microsoft just loves milking money out of every service or product they offer. 
    Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#41  Edited By Fallen189

I couldnt give less of a shit. What detriment does it have?

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#42  Edited By AgentJ

Yeah, I'm not happy about this. This is Microsoft. Do they really need to advertise even more? I liked how clean consoles were of ads, but i guess that's all gone... Just a matter of time before the other two players fall to this plague as well

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JJOR64

If all the ads are like the video on the Kotaku page, I don't mind.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

Am I the only one that sort of likes the ads? I don't know why I like them, but I do. It just seems like they always keeps the dashboard feeling fresh and current. Also, it typically serves as a good reminder of new XBLA and DLC releases.

Sick_J0ke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Sick_J0ke
    @JJOR64: Kotaku page? 
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#46  Edited By dsplayer1010

They're pretty annoying

Avatar image for deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd
    deactivated-5ad2b9eed0cdd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 10

I don't care about the ads.  They don't really affect my life in any way because I tend to just look at them once and then never really notice them ever again (kind of like everything else in the NXE)

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JJOR64
    @Sick_J0ke said:
    " @JJOR64: Kotaku page?  "
    I'm talking about the video on the Kotaku page.
    teekomeeko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By teekomeeko

I honestly don't care. When I turn on my 360 I immediately go to the game section and play what's in the tray. The amount of time I spend on the Dashboard is nearly non-existent, so they can stuff that thing with ads as much as they want cuz I won't see them.

hockeymask27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By hockeymask27
    @Mordukai said:
    "Middle of your halo 3 game...and now for a quick word from our sponsor... "

argh imagine in that voice form 1 vs 100.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.