Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Got a new router from verizon, Console cant connect online now.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ravensword

hey guys. We just received and installed a new rotuer from verizon yesterday and while our computers internet works fine, my consoles online connectivity is not. In my room I have a small box with ports in the back where I plug in my 360 and PS3s ethernet cables. I have a router in my room that connects to the main router in the family room. thats in the other room. But now when I try connecting with my consoles, they dont connect. My PS3 when I do internet test says the NAT type failed or something like that and it says there was a DNS error 80710102. The 360 says it cant get theIP address when I do the test and the test connection fails. Honestly, we set up the consoles to work with the itnerrnet so long ago I dont even remember how to do this. Can anyone help? I assumed that automatic would just do the trick, but its not working.

Theres a small hole in the small router in my room that says reset. I tried that, but it didnt help. The Wifi works on my PS3, but its super slow for some reason (like, I only get 6 mbps) Is there a reason its this slow? Should I adjust the attena on the main router from verizon? |    
    bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By bravetoaster

Is the router hooked up to a modem? If so, did you reset the modem prior to connecting the new router?

Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Doctorchimp

What internet service are you getting from Verizon? Is it FiOS or DSL?

Is it the router they hand out or a modem?

How many routers do you have hooked up to the Verizon modem? 

Is the PS3 hooked up to the router in your room or the main router?

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

In my room I have a small box with ports in the back where I plug in my 360 and PS3s ethernet cables    

So, are you running a wire to the room with the consoles? You mentioned wifi later but I'm not sure what this box would be for.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @JJWeatherman: 

Okay thank god, I thought I was the only one who lost his train of thought when he got to his room.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ravensword
    @JJWeatherman:

The small box connects to a port I have in my room in my my wall that was built in when we remodeled the hous. I think this port then goes up to the thing in our attic which is how we get our Wifi. Honestly, none of us really know. Im not sure if we have a modem. All I see by our computer is a big router that says verizon on it. I have Fios. Honestly, I wish I could help you more, but I really dont know anything and neither do my family members.    

About your confusion about the wifi thing. The box is meant for me to not have to have a long cord streatch across the house to the big router. With this rotuer in my room, I can connect up to 4 ehternet cables to the back of it and this then connects to the main router or whatever in the room where the computer is. It was added for convenience. I do not want Wifi because I vastly perfer wired connections.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ravensword
    @Doctorchimp:

I have Fios. Honestly, I dont know what a Modem is as opposed to a router. I know we have a big router by our computer that has two ethernet cables, a screw on cable cord and a power cord hooked up in the back. This router is how we get our guide and on demand on our TVs I believe. I have a ethernet port of somekind in my room that was build in when we redid the house so I didnt have to have a long cord go across the house to the big rotuer in the other room. We have a thing in teh attic which is how we get our Wifi. Its my understanding that the port in my room goes up to this thing in the attic and that it might go down to the main router in the computer room.
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @JJWeatherman: The small box connects to a port I have in my room in my my wall that was built in when we remodeled the hous. I think this port then goes up to the thing in our attic which is how we get our Wifi. Honestly, none of us really know. Im not sure if we have a modem. All I see by our computer is a big router that says verizon on it. I have Fios. Honestly, I wish I could help you more, but I really dont know anything and neither do my family members.   "
    But you have a router in your room? So why are you picking up wi fi from your attic? Why not just connect your room router with an ethernet cable to the main router and just run cable to your consoles?

And you have ports in your rooms, but they aren't connected to each other with a CAT 5 cable? They go to the attic and send off wi fi signals?
    Doctorchimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Doctorchimp
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @Doctorchimp: I have Fios. Honestly, I dont know what a Modem is as opposed to a router. I know we have a big router by our computer that has two ethernet cables, a screw on cable cord and a power cord hooked up in the back. This router is how we get our guide and on demand on our TVs I believe. I have a ethernet port of somekind in my room that was build in when we redid the house so I didnt have to have a long cord go across the house to the big rotuer in the other room. We have a thing in teh attic which is how we get our Wifi. Its my understanding that the port in my room goes up to this thing in the attic and that it might go down to the main router in the computer room. "
    Well a modem is just a box that connects to the internet that you can hook up to a router or a PC or something.

A router is something that you connect to the modem and you can split up the bandwidth between devices.

The Verizon FiOS routers (which I have) are both of those combined. What you want to do is make sure the attic is connected the main Verizon router and then you'll get good wifi.

Where did you hook up the main router? You should try and get it closer to the attic if you have problems.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ravensword
    @Doctorchimp:

I dont know dude, Im going off what my mom said, and she dosent know anymore then i do. Its my understanding we have a box or something in our attic that gives us Wifi. I said I am able to get Wifi if I want, but I dont want to use wifi on my console. I want to use a ethernet cable. There are 4 cables that are hooked up to my little gray Dlink rotuer in my room: The power cable, the two ethernet cables that go to the 360 and PS3 and there is a white cable that connects to the rotuer and to the wall port I have in my room. When this white cord is plugged in, a light under the letter WAN lights up. The rotuer in my room is designed to connect to the rotuer or whatever gives me my internet. Its a convienance thing so I dont have to run two long ehternet cords across the house to the big Verizon router when I want my 360 and PS3 connected online.
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Zithe
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @Doctorchimp: I dont know dude, Im going off what my mom said, and she dosent know anymore then i do. Its my understanding we have a box or something in our attic that gives us Wifi. I said I am able to get Wifi if I want, but I dont want to use wifi on my console. I want to use a ethernet cable. There are 4 cables that are hooked up to my little gray Dlink rotuer in my room: The power cable, the two ethernet cables that go to the 360 and PS3 and there is a white cable that connects to the rotuer and to the wall port I have in my room. When this white cord is plugged in, a light under the letter WAN lights up. The rotuer in my room is designed to connect to the rotuer or whatever gives me my internet. Its a convienance thing so I dont have to run two long ehternet cords across the house to the big Verizon router when I want my 360 and PS3 connected online. "
    Is the big Verizon box the only thing in your setup that has changed?
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ravensword
    @Doctorchimp:

Well, none of us really know about this stuff. My mom did it herself and she was going off of how to thing when we got the router. And like I said, I dont want Wifi, I want to use my little router box that gives me the ability to run two consoles online without the need of running cables across the house.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ravensword
    @Zithe:

yes.
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Zithe
    @Raven_Sword:  Do you have a router in between the Verizon box and your computer, or is there a cable going directly from the Verizon box to your computer?
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ravensword

I have no idea. Verizon dude came over to install it and boom, we had itnernet and TV. The only thing visible in the house is the big verzion router and my little router I have in my room where I said multiple times was put their so I didnt have to have two long cords go across the house to the main router. My mom said theirs a box in teh attic thats for the wifi or something. That might be the main internet box, again, I dont know.
    Zithe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Zithe
    @Raven_Sword:  I would suggest calling the Verizon guy back out to your house and make sure he is aware of the connection in your room. He may not have known about it when setting up your new modem. I am still unsure about a lot of your setup, like the mystery box in the attic. He will probably be able to figure it out since he can be there to look at what you have.
    ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ravensword
    @Zithe:

A ddue didnt come out and install the new router. We were mailed a new router and my mom hooked it up. She must have done it right because wifi and computer internet are working.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#18  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @Raven_Sword said:
    " @Zithe: A ddue didnt come out and install the new router. We were mailed a new router and my mom hooked it up. She must have done it right because wifi and computer internet are working. "
    Well, I really am pretty confused, but maybe you do have something in your attic that routes your connection to your room. In that case, something probably just didn't get hooked up properly when you installed the new router. If you want to simplify things, just pick up this item. It'll allow you to plug one of those adapters into a power outlet near your main router, and then the other one anywhere in the house. It'll use your powerlines in the house as an ethernet extender. Pretty simple and you don't take much of a speed hit. 

If you don't go that route, then I recommend climbing up to your attic and taking a quick peek at what exactly is up there. Or call a guy to take a look for you. 

GL!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.