Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Is the 360S worth it?

petedee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By petedee

I have currently got an old ass 1st Gen 360 without HDMI and 20Gb hard drive,  there isn't really enough room on the Hard Drive to install anything and  its stupidly noisy when accessing the disc, so much so that I really don't like to turn it on and I currently play most cross plat stuff on the PS3, but I was thinking of asking for a new 360S for the holidays, my question is are they worth the upgrade? 

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By ProfessorEss

Man I totally was in the same position and don't know what to say.
    I happened to stumble onto a deal that "threw in" a free 250GB XboxS with the TV I wanted to buy so I did it.
    It's so quiet, and coming from a 20gig, it's so nice having like 10 games installed and tons of free space.

Is it worth it? Yes. No. I dunno.
    There's too many factors per case to say.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By melcene

For the storage space alone, yes.  But also, it comes with wifi capability, opposed to the old 360s where you had to buy the separate wireless internet adapter.

Jack268

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jack268

Yup, less hardware failure, more storage, quieter, and use less power(? I think they do)

bravetoaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By bravetoaster

Definitely worth it.

Jadeskye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Jadeskye

They're pretty amazing, dealing with my friend's one really has made me consider a third xbox 360 just to get the updated model.

gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By gamb1t

The noise factor makes it worthy to get alone.

Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
    KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By KaosAngel

THE XBOX 360 IS THE GREATEST CONSOLE EVER. 

I think Halo is a pretty cool guy.  eh kills aliens and doesnt afraid of anything.

Afroman269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Afroman269

I love mine, and I swear I keep seeing this exact thread title way too many times.

DrPockets000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DrPockets000

Totally worth it.  It's amazing.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Dan_CiTi

You mean the Xbox 360 proper? Fuck yes. So much better. 

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By WinterSnowblind

If you need the extra storage space, you might as well.  Much more reliable.

pretender15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By pretender15
    @KaosAngel said:

" THE XBOX 360 IS THE GREATEST CONSOLE EVER.  I think Halo is a pretty cool guy.  eh kills aliens and doesnt afraid of anything. "

I like the GameCube the best.
    sodiumCyclops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By sodiumCyclops
    @KaosAngel said:
    " THE XBOX 360 IS THE GREATEST CONSOLE EVER.  I think Halo is a pretty cool guy.  eh kills aliens and doesnt afraid of anything. "
    btu teh cell?
    stubbleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By stubbleman

The only real problem I have with mine is the disc drive is still super flimsy looking. It's really quiet and all but I just get super nervous that it will tear up one of my discs. The simple solution to this is to just install all of my games, which the new hard drive lets you do pretty easily. Oh, and it still runs pretty hot. So I would keep that in mind when deciding on where to put it if you get one. Everything else about it is great though, so if those two things don't rub you too wrong I'd say go for it.

MisterUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By MisterUgly

I got mine at launch and i dont regret it.  I had a perfectly good classic 360 but like you had the whole storage issue and didnt feel like shelling out for an overpriced drive.  I figured its got the 250gb drive and built in wireless plus its dead quiet and kinect ready so why the hell not.  I've left it on when i went to bed a few times and totally didnt realize that i had left it on its so quiet.  something i couldnt do with my classic 360.

petedee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By petedee

I already have the wireless so thats a bit of a none issue (unless its wireless N, since we have a router that supports that and 50mb/s cable) 

Still we have every other console in the house so I guess it'll be worth it. 

guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By guiseppe

I got a new one because my old one red ringed again, and yeah, it's worth it if you can afford it.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By MikkaQ

I think it's worth it if you have a first gen xbox, like I do. HDMI, quietness and the harddrive kinda make it all worth it. 

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By melcene
    @somnambulist said:
    " The only real problem I have with mine is the disc drive is still super flimsy looking. It's really quiet and all but I just get super nervous that it will tear up one of my discs. The simple solution to this is to just install all of my games, which the new hard drive lets you do pretty easily. Oh, and it still runs pretty hot. So I would keep that in mind when deciding on where to put it if you get one. Everything else about it is great though, so if those two things don't rub you too wrong I'd say go for it. "
    Yeah that's the other thing is it does still run hot.  If you keep it laid flat, make sure not to put anything on top of it, even game disks, since most of the heat seems to come out the top this time, rather than the back.
    RavenX302

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By RavenX302

It was for me...but I was running on a 12 gb (suppose to be  15 I think) hard drive. Also my controllers were starting to screw up with one analog funky on one and the others mic jack fucked. I got the halo reach version with the two controllers which was worth it considering the controllers alone would run me more than 100 bones. But, if someone has a 250 or 120 GB harddrive and are not having problems and do not require more space, then why would you re buy the console again?

MisterUgly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By MisterUgly
    @petedee: Yeah it does have a wireless N adapter built in.  

@RavenX302:  I personally got it to consolidate equipment on my desk.  I had a linksys wireless game adapter taking up space on my desk and figured if i get the 360s i could make my printer sitting across the room a wireless printer with the adapter, cut down on the clutter, get more HDD space and sell off the old 360 to cut the cost of the 360s.
    gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

#23  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator
    @KaosAngel said:
    "I think Halo is a pretty cool guy.  eh kills aliens and doesnt afraid of anything. "
    I've played Halo and can confirm this is indeed the case.
    petedee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By petedee

So I picked one up yesterday, 

The unit isn't much smaller at all (maybe an inch off the top, same thickness) the added HDMI makes it look much crisper (had being using VGA till now) wireless in box is nice as is the the extra USB ports. The thing that really got me though was just how silent it is, before I could have my amp, PC, PS3, Wii and the freezer (don't ask) we have in our room on and the 360 would STILL drown them all out with its fans, this thing wasn't even audible with everything turned off, defiantly an upgrade :)

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.