Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Major issues with the 360 slim, WTF Microsoft? Seriously?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By bhhawks78

Ok my first problem I have a feeling is just me.  Why the hell does my 360 slim run insanely hot?  Hell my piece of shit launch day box (never had an issue knock on wood) doesn't get NEARLY as hot even after HOURS of continuous use. 

Now my big beef...why the hell did they add plastic around the component cables to block the hdmi port?  I had to literally take a knife and whittle it off, even then with that sliced off and my hdmi cable cover taken off the tip I STILL need to sand it down.  Is it so insane that I want HDMI visuals to my awesome monitor and want audio into my awesome headset instead of having to use my piece of shit monitor speakers?  Either I have to sit here and spend even more time whittling away at this thing or listen to reach with crap audio.  I can't think of any reason at all why they would do this.  There is literally no explanation.  There isn't even some over priced accessory to bypass this, that would be shitty but at least it would make sense!  Really tell me a reason why ARGH!

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Red12b

like literally?

Lateral legislation logistically lethal to loathsome loiters  

Pinworm45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Pinworm45

I remember I got really fucking pissed off when I bought one of the Arcades to get HDMI because my TV was out of component, then it red ringed, so I sent it in, and they sent me a piece of shit 360 that had no HDMI. 

Oh, and the power cable didn't fit into it and they had to send me a replacement. 

Awesome.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By blackbird415

A fan could be dead. That could be dangerous if your xbox is running extremely hot.

yoctoyotta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By yoctoyotta

Wow, that sounds disappointing. I was considering getting one when my Elite RR'd, but it was thankfully still under their extended warranty for one more month. I should be getting it back this week, if it's not an Elite I get back, I'll be livid.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BraveToaster
    I work for Microsoft and I can tell you that the Slim is a very good system. We will be happy to run diagnostic tests to see if we can identify the problem.
    Spellbot5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Spellbot5000

The Slim running hotter is normal. Both the the CPU and GPU were shrunk to 45nm and put on the same die. So there's a single heat spreader and HSF taking care of both chips, and naturally then the heat is concentrated more in one area than previous hardware revisions.The chips though were designed to be more heat tolerant than past chips. No need to be worried about higher temps.

It's sort of like the latest GPU's from ATI. They're designed from the ground up to be more heat tolerant that past chipsets. That way the fan on the card doesn't need to spin as much for quieter performance, since the chips can idle and load at higher temps than you'd normally expect to see.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By meteora

It should be cooler since it uses less power, has the GPU/CPU on the same die and is smaller, but I've heard reports of some consoles being hotter than usual. Though the general feeling is that the design is very good. 

Also if it gets to something like 38 Celsius like it does before, it actually isn't very hot. Graphic cards on the PC can go upwards to 60-80 Celsius and run fine.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bhhawks78

Ok for the heat thing I'm not worried anymore, only heat comes from the fan vents...rest is cool to the touch guess that's a good thing.  The component cables intentionally blocking hdmi is still insane. 

Thanks

Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#10  Edited By Heartagram

My slim works fine. Had it since they first released them and have had no problems 

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xyzygy
    @bhhawks78: I've never ever heard of this problem before. Would you care to explain in greater detail to what is actually happening... you want to use your HDMI connection, but something to do with component cables is blocking it? Why are there component cables even there if you're using HDMI? HDMI has both the audio and video so you wouldn't even need to touch the component.
    Avatar image for williamrlbaker@
    williamrlbaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By williamrlbaker

major issues?
    um has it failed yet? no? then heat doesn't seem to be a problem.

as well...Im confused they added plastic? um this problem has been around since the original hdmi 360's so its not a slim problem.

bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By bhhawks78
    @xyzygy said:
    " @bhhawks78: I've never ever heard of this problem before. Would you care to explain in greater detail to what is actually happening... you want to use your HDMI connection, but something to do with component cables is blocking it? Why are there component cables even there if you're using HDMI? HDMI has both the audio and video so you wouldn't even need to touch the component. "
    To get 360 audio into my headset I need to have the component cables in the 360 and then I just plug the ends into the headset cables.  Works fine on my roommates hdmi 360 but for some reason they want to block the hdmi port when using component, makes noooo sense.
    roborobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14  Edited By roborobb

I've got a 360 slim and I'm not having any overheating issues - though the HDMI block is super, super dumb.

Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Teaspoon83

It does run hotter so try the best you can to give it better airflow. If you plan to lay it on its side, place pennies under the "feet" to raise it off the shelf a bit to allow air to move under it. The system will auto-shutdown if it reaches a certain temperature.  

As for the cables, I can't say anything. I use the HDMI, so one cable is all I needed. But bummer, shouldn't have to "Make" cables work.

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Impossibilium
    @bhhawks78 said:
    " @xyzygy said:
    " @bhhawks78: I've never ever heard of this problem before. Would you care to explain in greater detail to what is actually happening... you want to use your HDMI connection, but something to do with component cables is blocking it? Why are there component cables even there if you're using HDMI? HDMI has both the audio and video so you wouldn't even need to touch the component. "
    To get 360 audio into my headset I need to have the component cables in the 360 and then I just plug the ends into the headset cables.  Works fine on my roommates hdmi 360 but for some reason they want to block the hdmi port when using component, makes noooo sense. "

So there's nothing wrong with the design of the 360S, you are just using it in a way that it was never supposed to be used for.

That's not the fault of MS, it's the fault of your setup. Probably less than 0.1% of owners will need to connect the component when the HDMI is being used just so they can use RCA audio jacks for headphones.

Headphones are jacked in to an AVR (which has plenty of interconnect options) or into a TV. Lots of HDMI equipped TVs have audio out ports for headphones and amps.
    niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By niamahai
    @Axxol said:

" I work for Microsoft and I can tell you that the Slim is a very good system. We will be happy to run diagnostic tests to see if we can identify the problem. "

You are a very brave man for saying this.

Also

I like your company's products.

" @xyzygy said:
    To get 360 audio into my headset I need to have the component cables in the 360 and then I just plug the ends into the headset cables.  Works fine on my roommates hdmi 360 but for some reason they want to block the hdmi port when using component, makes noooo sense. "

It real simple. You just have to circumsise the component cables "skin", and then the "head" will be thin enough so that both component and HDMI can fit together. Use strong pliers.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#19  Edited By Meowayne
    @Impossibilium said:
      That's not the fault of MS, it's the fault of your setup."
    Wrong, the Component/VGA jacks and positioning on the console is purposefully made so that if you want to use optical audio with HDMI video, you have to buy a Microsoft brand 360 HDMI cable (or, as was said, remove the plastic casing of the cable).
    However, this was the same with the traditional Xbox. This was not introduced with the slim.

As for the heat problem, this is the first time I hear of a Slim becoming significantly hotter than a regular box.
    bhhawks78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By bhhawks78
    @Impossibilium said:
    " @bhhawks78 said:
    " @xyzygy said:
     So there's nothing wrong with the design of the 360S, you are just using it in a way that it was never supposed to be used for.  That's not the fault of MS, it's the fault of your setup. Probably less than 0.1% of owners will need to connect the component when the HDMI is being used just so they can use RCA audio jacks for headphones.  Headphones are jacked in to an AVR (which has plenty of interconnect options) or into a TV. Lots of HDMI equipped TVs have audio out ports for headphones and amps. "
    Give me one reason why to add useless plastic  on the end of the component cable to block the HDMI port, there is literally zero reason for it.  They spend 2-3 cents on extra plastic on every 360 to block the port, BUT WHY?  It makes zero sense!  If it was just kinda naturally in the way?  No bitching from me because I know my setup is the minority.  But to ADD extra plastic jutting off the side to block it is nonsense.
    BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By BraveToaster
    @niamahai said:
    " @Axxol said:

" I work for Microsoft and I can tell you that the Slim is a very good system. We will be happy to run diagnostic tests to see if we can identify the problem. "

You are a very brave man for saying this.

Trolls are brave!
    sins_of_mosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By sins_of_mosin

The plastic case around the component/posite can be taken off by sliding a thin screw driver or such and twisting.  QQ much?
    spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By spazmaster666
    @bhhawks78 said:
    Give me one reason why to add useless plastic  on the end of the component cable to block the HDMI port, there is literally zero reason for it.  They spend 2-3 cents on extra plastic on every 360 to block the port, BUT WHY?  It makes zero sense!  If it was just kinda naturally in the way?  No bitching from me because I know my setup is the minority.  But to ADD extra plastic jutting off the side to block it is nonsense. "
    Because they want you to buy this.
    baron_calamity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24  Edited By baron_calamity

I bought a Slim near launch and it was dead out of the box. Ofcourse I was able to return it and use the cash towards another refirb unit but it was very disappointing. I really don't want to game on 360s anymore.
    Teaspoon83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Teaspoon83

My first slim power button wouldn't work at all. I could turn it on with the controller or opening the disc tray but after thinking about it, I called to get it replaced. Had to wait a month because of stock problems where I bought it from but now I have a slim that works perfectly fine.

pillowmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By pillowmetal

After owning 2 Elite systems which came with both the HDMI cable and RCA/optical adapter, I was just as irate as the original poster when my new slim had this STUPID plastic tab PURPOSELY blocking the HDMI port. The need for this setup is not as unusual or uncommon as some of the posters are stating.  In my case, I run HDMI to an LCD monitor to get 1080p, and need to run RCA to a 2.1 sound system (no A/V receiver).  I didn't think that was too much to ask.  But yes, it is obviously done to make you buy the official Micro$oft solution which originally cost $50. Luckily, I just popped in my old Elite cables and I was good to go, but it didn't lessen my anger.

Spam101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By Spam101

If you're just using the component outs and just getting stereo why can't you just plug your headset into the the phones output on your monitor? if it didn't come with adapters it would be a piece of piss to find a phonos female to minijack male on ebay

mastrbiggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By mastrbiggy
    Mine runs hot too, but only where the fan is. I think it has to do with the CPU/gpu like others pointed out.
    hiddeK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bhhawks78: where do u put ur xbox? is ur game room well ventilated? does ur xbox get enough fresh air?.look an xbox is awesome but u gotta treat it with respect give him a good spot to breathe where's no dust is the xbox hates dust,and keep your toom good ventilated,and also u should put it down horizontal if u have vertical then it blocks one of the fans the heat goes back to ur motherboard and then u get RROD in no time

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

um wat.

Godxilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wise from your gwave.

big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

@hiddek said:

@bhhawks78: where do u put ur xbox? is ur game room well ventilated? does ur xbox get enough fresh air?.look an xbox is awesome but u gotta treat it with respect give him a good spot to breathe where's no dust is the xbox hates dust,and keep your toom good ventilated,and also u should put it down horizontal if u have vertical then it blocks one of the fans the heat goes back to ur motherboard and then u get RROD in no time

Dude... The fuck...

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RonGalaxy

I think hiddeK is trying to teach us a lesson, and warn future generations of what to expect

Console Wars. Console Wars never change.

Since the dawn of hardcore gaming, when our ancestors first discovered the gaming power of the 360 gamepad and kinect, blood has been spilled in the name of everything: from Xbox to Sony to simple Nintendo

In the year 2013, after 8 years of old consoles, the destructive nature of fanboys could sustain itself no longer. The world was plunged into an abyss of mediocre shooters and uninspired design choices.

But it was not, as some had predicted, the end of console gaming. Instead, the gamepocalypse was simply the prologue to another bloody chapter of gaming history. For developers/publishers succeeded in running the previous generation into the ground - but console wars, console wars never change.

In the early days, thousands were spared the horrors of shitty launch games by taking refuge in a year old console known as the Wii U. But when they emerged, they realized nintendo had no 3rd party support and only released like 3 exclusives a year - all except those who had patience and waited for the XBONE and PS4 to improve and garner a solid library of games. For on that fateful day, e3 2014, hardcore fanboy gamers finally saw how awesome this gen was going to be, and everyone stopped arguing once and for all. It was where next generation was born, and it is where it will die.

Because in hardcore gaming, no one enters and no one leaves. And no one shuts up about anything. And everyone is kind of a dick.

djjunior14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By djjunior14

Hi I no this has nothing to do with this topic but my two and a half year old son recently poured some coke onto my Xbox 360 slim anyway I let it dry out but drying it in the progress so it wouldn't turn on for a few days but then it started to work but I quickly realized that my disc tray wouldn't open and HDMI is now not working but I've opens my 360 slim and the motherboard is fine and so I's the cooling system and I also fixed the disc tray along with every thing else but I've stripped in down to the motherboard and basically I just wanna know if I can get this replaced even know now my warrentys now gone but I dunno if it mortherd to the board so I could buy a new one because I dont wanna lose this profile because I have over 100 pound worth if gaming content and games and I don't won't to download it all to a new console so if anyone has any advise it would be most greatful and onto the subject of overheating I think the slim it a great Xbox as I had my elite for around 6 years but I have only two problems I could think that could get improved or ( made better) is the touch sensitive buttons and the power pack I've had to change two of my power packs because the fans in them wer so noisey and poorly built like the last ones aswell and as for the touch buttons I'm sick of my Xbox goin off just by walking past it or knocking it in the slightest but other than that it's a great console

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By afabs515

Holy shit! Over 12,000 views but no posts!? What is going on?

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

@djjunior14: Welcome to Giant Bomb. Please take the time to review our Forum Rules, stickied near the top of our forum area. I'd also advise you not to revive old threads that aren't tangibly related to your topic. Locking this down.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.