Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

So IE on Xbox is locked behind a Gold Sub? What!?

• 68 results
    Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Pezen

Well if one is sporting an Xbox 360 and does not have Gold.. what are you even doing with your life?

But still, why they put browsers on consoles keep being a mystery to me.

ptc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#52  Edited By ptc

@Phatmac said:

Why would anyone WANT to use a web browser on a console, especially IE?

I find it convenient. Sometimes it's the only way I can get on the web in my house.

sickVisionz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By sickVisionz

Nobody at all should be shocked. MS has shown time and time again that the only things you can do with a Silver account is give them money. Any feature based around you not giving them money is locked for Gold members.

@Phatmac said:

I use my PS3 browser to watch some video sites. It's less useful now that said video site (Crunchyroll) released an official PS3 app, but it was nice for a while.

lego_my_eggo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#54  Edited By lego_my_eggo

@Phatmac said:

There are a few cases where the browser on the PS3 has come in handy. And rather then wait for apps to be made for the console, you might just be able to go right to the website. Console browsers are not very good, but they can fix some of the shortcomings and hassle of having to make apps directly for it.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By devilzrule27

@Phatmac said:

I use the PS3 browser every now and then since they added HTML-5 support. Watching giantbomb vids and livestreams work reasonably well for when I feel like watching the videos on my TV.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By korwin

@Phatmac said:

In the event that your desktop, laptop, tablet and phone are all on fire and you desperately need to update you FB status :P

But yes, IE on Xbox was already a dumb enough idea to begin with, let alone asking people to pay for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-589cf9e3c287e
    deactivated-589cf9e3c287e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 4

You're going to pay for LIVE, regardless of whether or not they provide a compelling service or not. Until online play has been liberated from behind the pay wall, then Microsoft has no reason to make the service compelling for you.

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#58  Edited By pickassoreborn

Not a big surprise that IE is behind a paywall. I think it'll be my last year of Gold membership - the Xbox dash experience these days is akin to wading through shit. The apps have been shoehorned in and everything now runs super-slow. The Metro interface is also detrimental to navigation - unless, of course - you have a Kinect. Case in point - the software keyboard for searches is now a single horizontal line of letters rather than the traditional layout. Pretty horrid.

PSN offers a lot more for your money at the moment - plus the adverts on the XMB don't appear to be nearly as offensive as the ones on the Xbox dash.

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By glyn

@Phatmac said:

Bing + Kinnect

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#60  Edited By iamjohn

@Phatmac said:

Hey man, I loved the Dreamcast Web Browser and used it all the damn time. Of course, this was back when I didn't have a computer...

Like others have said, this is blazingly idiotic but also par for the course with Microsoft.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

And your mad why? 

hakunin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#62  Edited By hakunin

@glyn said:

@Phatmac said:

Bing + Kinnect

Hahaha, oh wow. Haven't had a laugh like that in a long time!

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By korwin

@The_Laughing_Man said:

And your mad why?

Not mad... just dumb founded.

glyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By glyn

@pickassoreborn said:

Not a big surprise that IE is behind a paywall. I think it'll be my last year of Gold membership - the Xbox dash experience these days is akin to wading through shit. The apps have been shoehorned in and everything now runs super-slow. The Metro interface is also detrimental to navigation - unless, of course - you have a Kinect. Case in point - the software keyboard for searches is now a single horizontal line of letters rather than the traditional layout. Pretty horrid.

PSN offers a lot more for your money at the moment - plus the adverts on the XMB don't appear to be nearly as offensive as the ones on the Xbox dash.

If you think about what the Xbox 360 stands for. It is a very confusing thing. The ideas are a mess.

With the topic of "streamlining" being ever more present in this modern world. It is funny to see the xbox lose sight of this. It's like they think more = better. There are so many games and services on the system which I would never use and they get in the way.

If only I could remove everything I do not need.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#65  Edited By mariokart64fan

oh screw that then , i have my wii u preorder and i can browse the web on that same with you tube,

wait i can use youtube on my wii already ya microsoft just now catching up but the thing is nintendo didnt lock me out of my browser cause i wasnt paying for gold lol

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By Andorski

Microsoft Don't Care.

ninefofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just tried iHeartRadio, which is a FREE service, but of course its locked behind XBLG. Microsoft should charge for everything, like using the internal WiFi interface, or count the number of button pushes on the controllers. No wait, integrate a mag-stripe reader in the controller for credit cards...There problem solved. Idiots!

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
    deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's kind of shocking to me how Microsoft managed to get away with putting nearly everything behind Gold this entire generation with little to no negative press and no serious consumer reaction. It's no wonder they assume they can get away with killing use games or always online or any of the other numerous things they're planning on; consumers have proven to them at every opportunity they'll happily get fucked for something they can get elsewhere easier.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

As long as there are people stupid enough to put up with things like this and hand over their money willingly, why would they stop. Really interested to see if they change anything with the xbo.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.