Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

The Xbox 360 Has Been Discontinued - How Many Did You Go Through?

• 135 results
    Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

Poll The Xbox 360 Has Been Discontinued - How Many Did You Go Through? (716 votes)

0 Died in service 28%
    1 Died in service 33%
    2 Died in service 19%
    3 Died in service 10%
    4 Died in service 4%
    5 Died in service 2%
    6 Died in service 2%
    7 Died in service 1%
    8+ Died in service 1%

The Xbox 360 has now officially been discontinued in a blog post by Phil Spencer (link).

It looks like services such as Games with Gold and other Xbox Live services will be sticking around for now but finally its time for the all important question.

How many Xbox 360s did you go through?

I myself am currently on my 2nd console having picked up my first in Christmas 2007 though it does sound as if my current is ready to die any day now.

• 
    Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

my 360 never died but my PS3 did.

MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#102  Edited By MEATBALL

Had one die on me, I'm still on the replacement, which is from before the elite. Now I'm extra tempted to go buy another 360 just in case my current one carks it (it's currently slow as fuck). The 360 would have to be my all time favourite system.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By pyrodactyl

3 or 4 died, one on the GTA 4 opening cutscene on launch day and I had to send one more in because they sent me back one without an eternet connector

VFL83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My original 360 rrod during a Resident Evil 5 achievement marathon and the replacement unit rrod about a year later. Bought a used one off craigslist that lasted a few months cause the disc drive died and so i sold it for parts. Bought a used unit at gamestop that died after a 3 weeks, gs replaced it, and this was about the time the R2-D2 360 was coming out, so i bought that and sold the replacement gs unit to my co-worker. R2 is stll chugging along, even though he hasn't been used in over a year.

kaungo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

0 casualty here. That said my 360 is an elite edition. Only issue is usb flap in the front has lost spring tension.

emprpngn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only ever owned one, the black slim edition.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

My first xbox was the black xbox 360 elite that introduced the HDMI port. It red-ringed once, i sent it in and that was it. It's loud as hell though, I almost want to buy a new one while I still can.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Went through 6, I never had a 360 for more than 4 months when I got my first one in 2006 before just saying fuck it and switched to PS3 in 2008.

Rotnac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Had only one launch 360 RROD on me. Sent it in for free and got a new one back within 7 days. The one they gave back had a read disk problem, sent that one in also for free since it was a known issue and got a replacement in less than 4 days which was incredible. Still have that 360 and the 360 S I eventually bought has never had a single issue. Each time they gave me my new/repaired console I got a free extra month of gold.

I always read horror stories with MS's customer service for the 360 but my personal experience had been nothing short of spectacular. Maybe I just got lucky or the stories were just bs?

GalacticPunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By GalacticPunt

Only one. It did the RROD on Penny Arcade Episode 2 of all things.

I admittedly half-assed the padded packing in sending it to Microsoft. They weren't sending out "coffins" anymore and I worked with what I had around. Either UPS drop kicked it on the way there or a lazy receiving tech did, as it came back with a huge dent and a form letter saying this physical damage was outside of warranty.

I threw it out, bought a PlayStation 3 with MGS4 the same day, and haven't fucked with Microsoft hardware since.

Wraith1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2 died on me

Launch model died on me little after a year I got it

Second one I got only lasted about 2 and a half years

xfuturesx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a launch unit that lasted longer than anyone else I knew at around 4 years, but it did eventually bite it. I had it replaced before I sold it to a friend that didn't have one.

I bought the slick new Jasper version right before I sold my refurb launch unit because those were supposed to be redesigned in some magically way that fixed the issue causing the red rings. That guy lasted about a year before dying. The refurb I got to replace it only lasted a few months.

I still have that last refurb, but I did buy a Slim version and that has lasted pretty well so far.

I think I might grab one of the new E series ones for posterity. I love the slim PS2 that I have. That thing is a tank.

majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

I got my first 360 a few months after launch, it lasted just over a year before it red-ringed. We did the free MS replacement, which was a nightmare since that was the time everyone was red-ringing... it took like 2 months to get our replacement. That replacement lasted about 4-5 months, then it stopped displaying in color. Being super frustrated, we seriously thought about just giving up on the 360 at that point. But we bit the bullet and got a new one a few months later, and that 3rd one still works. My brother has it now (we shared at the time), and I got my own a few years later when I moved.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

l had a lanch system that lasted abput six months into RRD-gate. So when mine died I just gave up, because I saw the writing on the wall. So, I bought no new games for 360, and just switched to the still struggling PS3. XB360 was a remarkable system for that first 18 mo.

Samcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still have my launch model. The plastic looks grimy as hell and the disk drive only works about half the time (also the cover on the disk drive is gone), but it still plays Dead Rising, god dammit.

GundamGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By GundamGuru

I had two die on me, but only one from RROD (a 20GB model). The second one's disc drive quit ejecting a year ago, and I took it as a sign to pick up a 360 E. It was a 60GB model, so at least I got wifi and a 250GB hard drive out of the upgrade. And let's be honest, the black controllers are just better.

MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My launch 360 has been repaired 2 times, i still have it and its functional, well at least it was when i last turned it on in 2008.

JonDo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know a guy who was in the military when the red ring was happening. When people ship out, they tend to throw out things.

He found over half a dozen (perhaps a dozen) red ring 360s in dumpsters, sent them in, and then sold them to other servicemen.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I only had one die, but I went through two, the first one I got had a super loud disc tray and froze Oblivion every 10 minutes.
    The second lasted a while but got the dreaded E74, though before it fully died it started to change the graphics of my games into these explosions of rainbow looking LSD nightmares, it was pretty cool until it croaked.

clutch414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had thee die on me. Strangely enough, none were due to the red ring problem. All three were due to the optical disk drives failing. I got strange error messages saying "to play this disk please place it in an Xbox 360 console."

After three white ones, I got an elite and I still have that to this day.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Never had one die but that's because I knew to look for Jasper models by the time I decided to get one. The only problems I've had was that one of them had an occasional problem with the disc tray opening, but it was nothing that a good smack to the console wouldn't fix.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

None of mine failed in use, but I'm on my third 360. Went from a launch SKU to an Elite to a slim.

bertrecht

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I opened this poll, automatically said "oh, I only had two die on me."

"Only two."

I had three Xbox360s. 10/10.

JRocha93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By JRocha93

I've had a total of 9. Six died, I sold one, and still have two working. I only ever got one replaced by Microsoft and the rest were either disk drive issues or out of warranty, which they couldn't cover either. I was really miffed about one dying because it seemed like an update had killed the disk drive, which a lot of people were reporting. I had two break at once and since Microsoft couldn't do anything, I swapped disk drives but they weren't compatible so it could only run dvd movies. I would rather think of the time I had enjoying that console than the money I spent to replace them.

clautz128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By clautz128

I'm on my 8th. My first 7 were the original model, with my launch unit lasting the longest. After they discontinued the free repairs and my 7th died I picked up the second the last iteration and it's been fine since. It's a Netflix machine now.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a48350594a61
    deactivated-5a48350594a61

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a 2008 X360 "pro", red ringed once and I sent it in to Microsoft and its lived ever since!

greenblattsam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

My pile of crap has crapped out for the fifth time now. I do not at the moment have a working 360 since the last one died about a month ago.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I was pretty lucky. My launch unit never failed. And the elite I sold it for still works.

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had an original model that never died on me. I say "had" because two years ago it was handed off to my stepdaughter. I... assume that it still works. I haven't received any requests for repair work on it.
    As of this writing I am one of 27% of people in this poll who have never had one die. I have to admit, I expected that number to be far lower.

EvergladeKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By EvergladeKing

First one (launch) 360 red ringed, 2nd one had a dvd drive reading issue, 3rd one was on red ring's doorstep (graphical corruption). I got 1-2 years of service out of each one. The 4th was technically working fine, then in early 2011 Gamestop Canada had ridiculously good set of deals where 1) you could trade in a 360 and get a $100 credit 2) At the same time, they had the then new, less-prone-to-melt-down 4GB 360 S on sale for $130... Since the math was sound, rather then wait around to see if #4 would die, I traded it in and have using that slim ever since with zero problems.

Microsoft replaced the first 3 without issues (I had an extended warranty through them and the red ring warranty extension covered the last one) and was always extremely quick about getting them sent out, so it was never a huge deal for me. At the end of the day, I loved the 360.

BishopRen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I went through 8 of the bloody things and had the hard drive just stop working on one. This was mainly cause by my broke-ness and lack of willingness to upgrade to an elite until very late in the cycle. Luckily they broke frequently enough that they almost always fixed it for free!

jadegl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By jadegl

We only had one die in service, and it took some time to red ring. It was still under the warranty because it was a first generation one, and I think that original warranty was really long. I think it was a few years after we got it, enough to where I wasn't super mad about it happening. It seemed to be only a matter of time, considering how so many people had so many issues with those early machines.

Now we have three is our house as DVD player/game machines. One has a pretty gnarly disk tray that won't open most of the time. My husband has cleaned the rubber bands and all that jazz, but it's gone back to not opening a good portion of the time. The other two are fine. Two are the first model and one is a slim.

We also had one PS3 die in service. That was our first gen 60 GB model. That was a really sad day. It died after 7 years, I think. We actually sent it in for repair, got it back, and then a year later it gave up the ghost for good. We still have that machine in storage. I would like to get another one or somehow fix the broken one, but that may be impossible at this point.

jedikv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weirdly I still have my 2006 model which once 2-lighted but managed to 'fix' iteslf and still runs to this day.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

1 died, but I ended up trading in the replacement later on for an E anyway

Avatar image for cyclonus_the_warrior
    cyclonus_the_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 128

User Lists: 6

wow. I'm surprised to see that some people went through so many systems. I'm glad to say that mine is still working great since I got it around the original release date. Same goes for my PS3. I hope I don't jinx myself, but if it does die I would get another one without hesitation.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None for me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.