Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Twitter, Facebook to be exclusive to Gold members

• 66 results
    NickNorman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By NickNorman

Well, this is great.

Here's Microsoft's statement, from Kotaku:

Facebook and Twitter on Xbox LIVE will be free to Gold members, with a free trial period also available for Silver members. Facebook and Twitter on Xbox LIVE will offer a truly one-of-a-kind social experience, completely optimized for the TV and seamlessly integrated onto your console. Add to that exclusive access to Last.fm, Netflix instant streaming, demos, trailers and discounts, plus the best multiplayer gaming network on the planet, and we're confident Xbox LIVE Gold memberships is hands-down the best value in home entertainment. We're committed to adding new features and value for our Gold members, and will continue to do so.
      While this doesn't really affect most of us, it would have been great for Microsoft to advertise "free Twitter and Facebook integration!" - especially now that the PS3 and 360 are almost dead even in terms of price and features. I hate how Xbox Live is free, but to do almost anything with it you have to pay for gold. I love the service, and it's definitely worth it to me, but it seems like they short change some people. What do you think?

Hitchenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Hitchenson

This doesn't surprise me in the slightest, that's what I think. EVERYTHING is for Gold members, even timed demo exclusivity. 

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#3  Edited By Jeust

I really don't care... It's not because of that, that i'll become a gold member. 

Try harder microsoft!

Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Damian

So they're using FREE services to incentivize their GOLD memberships? Good call Microsoft. 
    Whatever, I would never use those on a console anyway. They can charge whatever they want for those. What I want free is to be able to game with people ... 360 being a gaming console and all.

MountainMarine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MountainMarine

Typing on the xbox takes too long anyway (if you havnt invested in the xbox keyboard) so I won't be using it. Besides I don't know anyone who has live and doesn't have a gold account. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ryanwho

So now they're monetizing services they don't even own. Fucking goobers.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#7  Edited By citizenkane

I don't use Twitter in the first place and I don't plan on using Facebook on my Xbox 360.  I have been a Gold member for years(except the past couple of months and up until my first full paycheck comes in due to financial constraints) and I haven't minded paying $50/yr for the service.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24

I don't mind one bit paying for Gold; I get a lot of mileage out of it. I will use both of the features that are present here because I am (to my own dismay) heavily invested in both. It is a bummer that it won't be available to Silver members but, seriously, if anyone really uses Live, they probably have Gold.

C0V3RT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#9  Edited By C0V3RT

I dont have a problem with it at all.  I guess I disagree with your statement that Live and PSN are even when it comes to features.  But as a Gold member, if I have to pay, I feel entitled to features that silver members don't get (nothing personal to any silver members out there).
    Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By Jayge_

Well this basically just makes my gold membership worth even more so... 

Suck my balls, haters! Bwaaaahaahahahahahahah.

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Fallen189

I dont have a gold.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#12  Edited By LordAndrew

What a load of BS. I can use Twitter and Facebook free on my PC. Or even on the PlayStation 3! The Wii too, if you're willing to pay the one-time fee of $5.
    It makes no sense to force people to pay for Gold to use free services.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#13  Edited By TobyD81

Kinda lame that they're putting these broad community features behind a gate. I hope they wind up being more than just being able to view my Facebook info or Twiter feed from the box. They should jazz it up with some special features like an option to auto-Tweet about new Achievements, a party you've started, etc.

Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Burns098356GX

Its a complete cockblock if you ask me, I love how they give you Free this and free that, oh but wait, you gotta pay for a Gold service though.
    I think my favorite is when they have a new demo, Resident Evil 5 for example. A demo, which purpose is to entice you to buy the full game, but you had be a gold member to download the demo. You've indirectly paid for a demo. 
    Facebook, twitter? Free services on my computer, oh but wait you have to be Gold to use them on Xbox. 

I love my Xbox, but man Microsoft sure knows how to screw people when they want too.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By crunchUK

lol @ angry nerds

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Keyser_Soze
    @crunchUK said:
    " lol @ angry nerds "
    Ironic.
    clubsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By clubsandwich
    meh, I'll use it for the incredible price of free on my PC.
    Oy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#18  Edited By Oy

If these are available during online gameplay, then it kind of makes sense.  There must be some bandwidth issues to make sure the online lag doesn't suffer because someone is twittering.
    Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WinterSnowblind

People are also ignoring the fact that Twitter and Facebook have completely redesigned frontends to work more efficently on the PC, and they have a lot of game integrated features.  It's not just exactly the same Twitter/Facebook your using on the PC.  Besides, it's not like you have to pay for them here, you just need a Gold membership.  Seems reasonable enough to me, if you care about doing anything online with your 360 like this, you probably have one anyway.

No Caption Provided
    jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jkz

It's possible that I would use twitter.....not facebook

Druminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Druminator

I'm just glad that they're adding more features to make paying for Live more worth it. Although I can't really see myself using Twitter or Facebook while I'm playing a game. Seems annoying.

WickedCobra03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By WickedCobra03
    Good, great...GRAND!  I really don't care.  I rarely use both on the regular web on my actual PC's...what is going to make me want to use it on my xbox?
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23  Edited By Linkyshinks

The Twitter feature is something I will use very regularly while at work in my studio, but I wont be using the Facebook functionality at all. I have no interest in such community sites like Facebook and MySpace.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bigandtasty

This gets a solid "meh" from me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'll just stick to my computer for facebook, or PS3 browser.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By iam3green

i don't use twitter or facebook. it's a meh for me. i don't like the social network things. i don't get whats so great about them. i don't have gold, i don't play it to much. i will just use my computer if i wanted to surf the internet. 

i kind of think that xbox live isn't that great. it just seems like the same thing as psn.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By breadfan
    @RHCPfan24 said:
     if anyone really uses Live, they probably have Gold.
    Exactly.  Anyone with a silver account is pretty much missing out on having a 360
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By jakob187

Expected. 

@Br3adfan said:

" @RHCPfan24 said:

Exactly.  Anyone with a silver account is pretty much missing out on having a 360 "
    ...and this. 

@Burns098356GX said:
    " Its a complete cockblock if you ask me, I love how they give you Free this and free that, oh but wait, you gotta pay for a Gold service though. I think my favorite is when they have a new demo, Resident Evil 5 for example. A demo, which purpose is to entice you to buy the full game, but you had be a gold member to download the demo. You've indirectly paid for a demo.  Facebook, twitter? Free services on my computer, oh but wait you have to be Gold to use them on Xbox.   I love my Xbox, but man Microsoft sure knows how to screw people when they want too. "
    I just don't understand rants like this.  We pay to have an excellent online service available to use with tons of integrated options...something that Sony has failed to do thus far.  It's the main reason why many have seen Xbox Live as being an excellent service.  For $50 a YEAR, it's almost a crime to NOT have it.  You can argue about us getting demos...but when it comes down to it, we're getting the demos EARLIER because we are paying for a service, and it's a way of showing gratitude to the people who like the service enough to pay for it.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By CL60
    @jakob187 said:
    " Expected. 

@Br3adfan said:
    " @RHCPfan24 said:
    Exactly.  Anyone with a silver account is pretty much missing out on having a 360 "
    ...and this. "
    indeed.
    SUBL1ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SUBL1ME

Silver has absolutely no features even demos screw you over by being gold exclusive now. I kind of want to re-up my subscription but through some sort of error I've still been able to play CoD WaW with my Silver account. My account got screwed up when it expired because I was in the middle of playing CoD, my profile was a little wacky for awhile then once it was all straightened out I was still able to play CoD but not other games. I'm kind of scared the free gold weekend might fix it haha.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#31  Edited By delta_ass

They're also free on the uh, PC.

Radar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Radar

Expected. Don't really care either... I ALWAYS have a computer within my proximity.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Linkyshinks

Agreed, Gold is awesome, which is why I have two accounts running on both my 360's. They would seem very dull without, I have grown very accustomed to using all the great features.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By KamasamaK

Eh, this was completely expected. These features are uninteresting to me on a console anyway.

Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Branthog

Wait, why for Gold Members? I pay them my hard earned money every twelve months and in return, they make me suffer Twitter and Facebook crap? It should be the other way around. I bet plenty of people would pay for a Gold Membership to *avoid* having to deal with Twitter and Facebook on their videogame device.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By empfeix

Why would I suffer navigating and typing through xbox 360 which does not support keyboards?  I'm surprised MS has not released a proprietary keyboard at least to lessen the pain.  Although universal usb support would be nice.

Suicrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37  Edited By Suicrat
    @LordAndrew said:
    " What a load of BS. I can use Twitter and Facebook free on my PC. Or even on the PlayStation 3! The Wii too, if you're willing to pay the one-time fee of $5. It makes no sense to force people to pay for Gold to use free services. "
    Do you not see the logical inconsistency in your own words?

If it is true that:

One can use Twitter and Facebook for free on your PC

Then it is not true that:

One who uses XBox Live Gold for Twitter and Facebook is being forced

Since one has the same choice you had.
    LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#38  Edited By LordAndrew
    @Suicrat said:
    "Do you not see the logical inconsistency in your own words?

If it is true that:

One can use Twitter and Facebook for free on your PC

Then it is not true that:

One who uses XBox Live Gold for Twitter and Facebook is being forced

Since one has the same choice you had. "
    Yeah, you get a choice. One is a steaming pile of crap with the advantage of being free, and the other has actual features.
    Microsoft provides Live members with two options, but the only one that's worth a damn is Xbox Live Gold. Silver members don't get anything; not even access to the free Facebook and Twitter services.

@Branthog said:
    " Wait, why for Gold Members? I pay them my hard earned money every twelve months and in return, they make me suffer Twitter and Facebook crap? It should be the other way around. I bet plenty of people would pay for a Gold Membership to *avoid* having to deal with Twitter and Facebook on their videogame device. "
    Just like you're forced to use all of Xbox Live's other features? You avoid features you don't want to use. Your browser is currently capable of using Twitter and Facebook, isn't it? But you don't use them, do you?
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Branthog
    @LordAndrew said:

@Branthog said:
    " Wait, why for Gold Members? I pay them my hard earned money every twelve months and in return, they make me suffer Twitter and Facebook crap? It should be the other way around. I bet plenty of people would pay for a Gold Membership to *avoid* having to deal with Twitter and Facebook on their videogame device. "
    Just like you're forced to use all of Xbox Live's other features? You avoid features you don't want to use. Your browser is currently capable of using Twitter and Facebook, isn't it? But you don't use them, do you? "

I think you misconstrued the tone of my post. I was offering a marketing ploy to Microsoft that would certainly work. If they forced it on free members, I suspect the enrollment would skyrocket to avoid it. So while they're at this, maybe they should tie-in Flickr and Match.com and HotOrNot. Oh, and Gawker. And TMZ.

Oh wait... or they could just include a simple browser and people could access that intarweb thingy without having a custom "xbox" interface for each little stupid thing. Or... they could just let it be a gaming system and not a "stupid shit in 140 characters" system.
    Shindiggah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Shindiggah

that doesnt suprise me, I thought that it was known all along that this would be a gold feature, just like everything else.
    Burns098356GX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Burns098356GX
    @jakob187 said:

" Expected. 

@Br3adfan said:

" @RHCPfan24 said:

...and this. 

@Burns098356GX said:
    " Its a complete cockblock if you ask me, I love how they give you Free this and free that, oh but wait, you gotta pay for a Gold service though. I think my favorite is when they have a new demo, Resident Evil 5 for example. A demo, which purpose is to entice you to buy the full game, but you had be a gold member to download the demo. You've indirectly paid for a demo.  Facebook, twitter? Free services on my computer, oh but wait you have to be Gold to use them on Xbox.   I love my Xbox, but man Microsoft sure knows how to screw people when they want too. "
    I just don't understand rants like this.  We pay to have an excellent online service available to use with tons of integrated options...something that Sony has failed to do thus far.  It's the main reason why many have seen Xbox Live as being an excellent service.  For $50 a YEAR, it's almost a crime to NOT have it.  You can argue about us getting demos...but when it comes down to it, we're getting the demos EARLIER because we are paying for a service, and it's a way of showing gratitude to the people who like the service enough to pay for it. "
    Any way you slice it, your paying for a demo. So they've earned money by selling you a demo that they want you to go out and spend 60 when the full game comes out.
    1v100, avaliable for Gold members only, in which they have advertisements. You pay for something, but still get advertisements in your face every 5 minutes? That dont make no fuckin sence.

I still have yet to understand why people say XBL is a better 'service'. How? What is different about it? I get the same problems on XBL that I get on PSN. I hear this argument that XBL has its own game servers, then why do i get disconnected from the host in Gears of War 2, who is a player in the game, and the player host has certian lag-advantages over the rest of the room.  A ton of intergrated options? Like what? The ability to be in a party while watching a movie? Wow.  A avatar system (which I hate) 

I think people think that its a 'good service' because they pay for it. Ya, 50 bucks for a year, not a bad price, but your still paying. 

Anybody that thinks XBL is a good value is kidding themselves, the only thing XBL has going for it is the volume of content avaliable on the marketplace. That you pay for anyways.

I dont want to seem like I prefer the PS3, because I dont, I love my Xbox, but its nonsence they charge you for the service.
    xplodedd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#42  Edited By xplodedd

imo whoever wants to use facebook or twitter on the xbox is sad, you can go a gaming session without twitting or facebooking.

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KamasamaK
    @LordAndrew said:
    " Yeah, you get a choice. One is a steaming pile of crap with the advantage of being free, and the other has actual features.
    Microsoft provides Live members with two options, but the only one that's worth a damn is Xbox Live Gold. Silver members don't get anything; not even access to the free Facebook and Twitter services. "
    It's the same with the Netflix streaming -- a free service on PC (provided you have a Netflix subscription) that requires Gold on Xbox 360.
    Oy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#44  Edited By Oy
    @empfeix:
    USB Keyboard support does exsist on Xbox 360.  It has since launch in '05.  And also there is a Xbox branded "chat pad" that plugs into your controller.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#45  Edited By TwoOneFive
    @NickNorman said:
    " Well, this is great.

Facebook and Twitter on Xbox LIVE will be free to Gold members, with a free trial period also available for Silver members. Facebook and Twitter on Xbox LIVE will offer a truly one-of-a-kind social experience, completely optimized for the TV and seamlessly integrated onto your console. Add to that exclusive access to Last.fm, Netflix instant streaming, demos, trailers and discounts, plus the best multiplayer gaming network on the planet, and we're confident Xbox LIVE Gold memberships is hands-down the best value in home entertainment. We're committed to adding new features and value for our Gold members, and will continue to do so.
      While this doesn't really affect most of us, it would have been great for Microsoft to advertise "free Twitter and Facebook integration!" - especially now that the PS3 and 360 are almost dead even in terms of price and features. I hate how Xbox Live is free, but to do almost anything with it you have to pay for gold. I love the service, and it's definitely worth it to me, but it seems like they short change some people. What do you think?  "
    worth it? when the ps3 is doing it for free? please. 
    Toxin066

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#46  Edited By Toxin066
    @Kamasama said:
    " Eh, this was completely expected. These features are uninteresting to me on a console anyway. "
    What this guy said. I didn't care about these features at E3, and I don't care about them now. However as a gold user I do like knowing that I have more options available to me than the silver users have available to them.
    Novyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By Novyx

I sure am glad that you don't have to pay ISPs for internet access to use facebook or twitter. It would be a shame to pay a service fee for a free service.

This is actually pretty good marketing for Microsoft. This way, 'free' access stays exclusive to PCs, so Windows users don't feel shortchanged, right?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By WinterSnowblind
    @TwoOneFive said:
    " @NickNorman said:
    " Well, this is great.

While this doesn't really affect most of us, it would have been great for Microsoft to advertise "free Twitter and Facebook integration!" - especially now that the PS3 and 360 are almost dead even in terms of price and features. I hate how Xbox Live is free, but to do almost anything with it you have to pay for gold. I love the service, and it's definitely worth it to me, but it seems like they short change some people. What do you think?  "
    worth it? when the ps3 is doing it for free? please.  "
    You can access Twitter on the PS3, yes, but to do so you'd have to go into the Web browser, closing anything else you might be doing.
    Here, you can go on in the middle of playing games and acess this CUSTOM version of Twitter and use features that are integrated into games, like being able to post screenshots, or update about achievements, etc.

Besides, once again I feel the need to point out you don't have to actually pay to do this, you just need to be a Gold member.  You aren't being charged extra to use Twitter/Facebook/Last.fm.
    Cerza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#49  Edited By Cerza
    @LordAndrew said:
    " What a load of BS. I can use Twitter and Facebook free on my PC. Or even on the PlayStation 3! The Wii too, if you're willing to pay the one-time fee of $5. It makes no sense to force people to pay for Gold to use free services. "
    My thoughts exactly.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Linkyshinks
    @empfeix said:

" Why would I suffer navigating and typing through xbox 360 which does not support keyboards?  I'm surprised MS has not released a proprietary keyboard at least to lessen the pain.  Although universal usb support would be nice. "

This has been out for a long while now ...

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.