Twitter, Facebook to be exclusive to Gold members

  • 67 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for nicknorman
#1 Posted by NickNorman (458 posts) -

Well, this is great.
 
Here's Microsoft's statement, from Kotaku:

Facebook and Twitter on Xbox LIVE will be free to Gold members, with a free trial period also available for Silver members. Facebook and Twitter on Xbox LIVE will offer a truly one-of-a-kind social experience, completely optimized for the TV and seamlessly integrated onto your console. Add to that exclusive access to Last.fm, Netflix instant streaming, demos, trailers and discounts, plus the best multiplayer gaming network on the planet, and we're confident Xbox LIVE Gold memberships is hands-down the best value in home entertainment. We're committed to adding new features and value for our Gold members, and will continue to do so.
  While this doesn't really affect most of us, it would have been great for Microsoft to advertise "free Twitter and Facebook integration!" - especially now that the PS3 and 360 are almost dead even in terms of price and features. I hate how Xbox Live is free, but to do almost anything with it you have to pay for gold. I love the service, and it's definitely worth it to me, but it seems like they short change some people. What do you think?
 
Avatar image for hitchenson
#2 Posted by Hitchenson (4708 posts) -

This doesn't surprise me in the slightest, that's what I think. EVERYTHING is for Gold members, even timed demo exclusivity. 

Avatar image for jeust
#3 Posted by Jeust (11739 posts) -

I really don't care... It's not because of that, that i'll become a gold member. 
 
Try harder microsoft!

Avatar image for damian
#4 Posted by Damian (1521 posts) -

So they're using FREE services to incentivize their GOLD memberships? Good call Microsoft. 
Whatever, I would never use those on a console anyway. They can charge whatever they want for those. What I want free is to be able to game with people ... 360 being a gaming console and all.

Avatar image for mountainmarine
#5 Posted by MountainMarine (22 posts) -

Typing on the xbox takes too long anyway (if you havnt invested in the xbox keyboard) so I won't be using it. Besides I don't know anyone who has live and doesn't have a gold account. 

Avatar image for ryanwho
#6 Posted by ryanwho (12011 posts) -

So now they're monetizing services they don't even own. Fucking goobers.

Avatar image for citizenkane
#7 Posted by citizenkane (10875 posts) -

I don't use Twitter in the first place and I don't plan on using Facebook on my Xbox 360.  I have been a Gold member for years(except the past couple of months and up until my first full paycheck comes in due to financial constraints) and I haven't minded paying $50/yr for the service.

Avatar image for rhcpfan24
#8 Posted by RHCPfan24 (8663 posts) -

I don't mind one bit paying for Gold; I get a lot of mileage out of it. I will use both of the features that are present here because I am (to my own dismay) heavily invested in both. It is a bummer that it won't be available to Silver members but, seriously, if anyone really uses Live, they probably have Gold.

Avatar image for c0v3rt
#9 Posted by C0V3RT (1420 posts) -

I dont have a problem with it at all.  I guess I disagree with your statement that Live and PSN are even when it comes to features.  But as a Gold member, if I have to pay, I feel entitled to features that silver members don't get (nothing personal to any silver members out there).
Avatar image for jayge_
#10 Posted by Jayge_ (10270 posts) -

Well this basically just makes my gold membership worth even more so... 
 
Suck my balls, haters! Bwaaaahaahahahahahahah.

Avatar image for fallen189
#11 Posted by Fallen189 (5453 posts) -

I dont have a gold.

Avatar image for lordandrew
#12 Posted by LordAndrew (14601 posts) -

What a load of BS. I can use Twitter and Facebook free on my PC. Or even on the PlayStation 3! The Wii too, if you're willing to pay the one-time fee of $5.
It makes no sense to force people to pay for Gold to use free services.

Avatar image for tobyd81
#13 Posted by TobyD81 (1298 posts) -

Kinda lame that they're putting these broad community features behind a gate. I hope they wind up being more than just being able to view my Facebook info or Twiter feed from the box. They should jazz it up with some special features like an option to auto-Tweet about new Achievements, a party you've started, etc.

Avatar image for burns098356gx
#14 Posted by Burns098356GX (1368 posts) -

Its a complete cockblock if you ask me, I love how they give you Free this and free that, oh but wait, you gotta pay for a Gold service though.
I think my favorite is when they have a new demo, Resident Evil 5 for example. A demo, which purpose is to entice you to buy the full game, but you had be a gold member to download the demo. You've indirectly paid for a demo. 
Facebook, twitter? Free services on my computer, oh but wait you have to be Gold to use them on Xbox. 
 
I love my Xbox, but man Microsoft sure knows how to screw people when they want too.

Avatar image for crunchuk
#15 Posted by crunchUK (6052 posts) -

lol @ angry nerds

Avatar image for keyser_soze
#16 Posted by Keyser_Soze (1195 posts) -
@crunchUK said:
" lol @ angry nerds "
Ironic.
Avatar image for clubsandwich
#17 Posted by clubsandwich (3965 posts) -
meh, I'll use it for the incredible price of free on my PC.
Avatar image for oy
#18 Posted by Oy (314 posts) -

If these are available during online gameplay, then it kind of makes sense.  There must be some bandwidth issues to make sure the online lag doesn't suffer because someone is twittering.
Avatar image for wintersnowblind
#19 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7598 posts) -

People are also ignoring the fact that Twitter and Facebook have completely redesigned frontends to work more efficently on the PC, and they have a lot of game integrated features.  It's not just exactly the same Twitter/Facebook your using on the PC.  Besides, it's not like you have to pay for them here, you just need a Gold membership.  Seems reasonable enough to me, if you care about doing anything online with your 360 like this, you probably have one anyway.
 

No Caption Provided
Avatar image for jkz
#20 Posted by jkz (4169 posts) -

It's possible that I would use twitter.....not facebook

Avatar image for druminator
#21 Posted by Druminator (1808 posts) -

I'm just glad that they're adding more features to make paying for Live more worth it. Although I can't really see myself using Twitter or Facebook while I'm playing a game. Seems annoying.

Avatar image for wickedcobra03
#22 Posted by WickedCobra03 (2237 posts) -
Good, great...GRAND!  I really don't care.  I rarely use both on the regular web on my actual PC's...what is going to make me want to use it on my xbox?
Avatar image for linkyshinks
#23 Posted by Linkyshinks (11400 posts) -

The Twitter feature is something I will use very regularly while at work in my studio, but I wont be using the Facebook functionality at all. I have no interest in such community sites like Facebook and MySpace.

Avatar image for bigandtasty
#24 Posted by Bigandtasty (3145 posts) -

This gets a solid "meh" from me.

Avatar image for bucketdeth
#25 Posted by Bucketdeth (8252 posts) -

I'll just stick to my computer for facebook, or PS3 browser.

Avatar image for iam3green
#26 Posted by iam3green (14368 posts) -

i don't use twitter or facebook. it's a meh for me. i don't like the social network things. i don't get whats so great about them. i don't have gold, i don't play it to much. i will just use my computer if i wanted to surf the internet. 
 
i kind of think that xbox live isn't that great. it just seems like the same thing as psn.

Avatar image for breadfan
#27 Posted by breadfan (6803 posts) -
@RHCPfan24 said:
 if anyone really uses Live, they probably have Gold.
Exactly.  Anyone with a silver account is pretty much missing out on having a 360
Avatar image for jakob187
#28 Edited by jakob187 (22932 posts) -

Expected. 
 
@Br3adfan said:

" @RHCPfan24 said:

 if anyone really uses Live, they probably have Gold.
Exactly.  Anyone with a silver account is pretty much missing out on having a 360 "
...and this. 
 
@Burns098356GX said:
" Its a complete cockblock if you ask me, I love how they give you Free this and free that, oh but wait, you gotta pay for a Gold service though. I think my favorite is when they have a new demo, Resident Evil 5 for example. A demo, which purpose is to entice you to buy the full game, but you had be a gold member to download the demo. You've indirectly paid for a demo.  Facebook, twitter? Free services on my computer, oh but wait you have to be Gold to use them on Xbox.   I love my Xbox, but man Microsoft sure knows how to screw people when they want too. "
I just don't understand rants like this.  We pay to have an excellent online service available to use with tons of integrated options...something that Sony has failed to do thus far.  It's the main reason why many have seen Xbox Live as being an excellent service.  For $50 a YEAR, it's almost a crime to NOT have it.  You can argue about us getting demos...but when it comes down to it, we're getting the demos EARLIER because we are paying for a service, and it's a way of showing gratitude to the people who like the service enough to pay for it.
Avatar image for cl60
#29 Posted by CL60 (17117 posts) -
@jakob187 said:
" Expected. 
 
@Br3adfan said:
" @RHCPfan24 said:
 if anyone really uses Live, they probably have Gold.
Exactly.  Anyone with a silver account is pretty much missing out on having a 360 "
...and this. "
indeed.
Avatar image for subl1me
#30 Posted by SUBL1ME (119 posts) -

Silver has absolutely no features even demos screw you over by being gold exclusive now. I kind of want to re-up my subscription but through some sort of error I've still been able to play CoD WaW with my Silver account. My account got screwed up when it expired because I was in the middle of playing CoD, my profile was a little wacky for awhile then once it was all straightened out I was still able to play CoD but not other games. I'm kind of scared the free gold weekend might fix it haha.

Avatar image for delta_ass
#31 Posted by delta_ass (3807 posts) -

They're also free on the uh, PC.

Avatar image for radar
#32 Posted by Radar (930 posts) -

Expected. Don't really care either... I ALWAYS have a computer within my proximity.

Avatar image for linkyshinks
#33 Edited by Linkyshinks (11400 posts) -

 Agreed, Gold is awesome, which is why I have two accounts running on both my 360's. They would seem very dull without, I have grown very accustomed to using all the great features.

Avatar image for kamasamak
#34 Posted by KamasamaK (2492 posts) -

Eh, this was completely expected. These features are uninteresting to me on a console anyway.

Avatar image for branthog
#35 Posted by Branthog (5777 posts) -

Wait, why for Gold Members? I pay them my hard earned money every twelve months and in return, they make me suffer Twitter and Facebook crap? It should be the other way around. I bet plenty of people would pay for a Gold Membership to *avoid* having to deal with Twitter and Facebook on their videogame device.

Avatar image for empfeix
#36 Posted by empfeix (794 posts) -

Why would I suffer navigating and typing through xbox 360 which does not support keyboards?  I'm surprised MS has not released a proprietary keyboard at least to lessen the pain.  Although universal usb support would be nice.

Avatar image for suicrat
#37 Posted by Suicrat (3829 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" What a load of BS. I can use Twitter and Facebook free on my PC. Or even on the PlayStation 3! The Wii too, if you're willing to pay the one-time fee of $5. It makes no sense to force people to pay for Gold to use free services. "
Do you not see the logical inconsistency in your own words?

If it is true that:

One can use Twitter and Facebook for free on your PC

Then it is not true that:

One who uses XBox Live Gold for Twitter and Facebook is being forced

Since one has the same choice you had.
Avatar image for lordandrew
#38 Posted by LordAndrew (14601 posts) -
@Suicrat said:
"Do you not see the logical inconsistency in your own words?

If it is true that:

One can use Twitter and Facebook for free on your PC

Then it is not true that:

One who uses XBox Live Gold for Twitter and Facebook is being forced

Since one has the same choice you had. "
Yeah, you get a choice. One is a steaming pile of crap with the advantage of being free, and the other has actual features.
Microsoft provides Live members with two options, but the only one that's worth a damn is Xbox Live Gold. Silver members don't get anything; not even access to the free Facebook and Twitter services.
 
@Branthog said:
" Wait, why for Gold Members? I pay them my hard earned money every twelve months and in return, they make me suffer Twitter and Facebook crap? It should be the other way around. I bet plenty of people would pay for a Gold Membership to *avoid* having to deal with Twitter and Facebook on their videogame device. "
Just like you're forced to use all of Xbox Live's other features? You avoid features you don't want to use. Your browser is currently capable of using Twitter and Facebook, isn't it? But you don't use them, do you?
Avatar image for branthog
#39 Posted by Branthog (5777 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:

@Branthog said:
" Wait, why for Gold Members? I pay them my hard earned money every twelve months and in return, they make me suffer Twitter and Facebook crap? It should be the other way around. I bet plenty of people would pay for a Gold Membership to *avoid* having to deal with Twitter and Facebook on their videogame device. "
Just like you're forced to use all of Xbox Live's other features? You avoid features you don't want to use. Your browser is currently capable of using Twitter and Facebook, isn't it? But you don't use them, do you? "
 
I think you misconstrued the tone of my post. I was offering a marketing ploy to Microsoft that would certainly work. If they forced it on free members, I suspect the enrollment would skyrocket to avoid it. So while they're at this, maybe they should tie-in Flickr and Match.com and HotOrNot. Oh, and Gawker. And TMZ.
 
Oh wait... or they could just include a simple browser and people could access that intarweb thingy without having a custom "xbox" interface for each little stupid thing. Or... they could just let it be a gaming system and not a "stupid shit in 140 characters" system.
Avatar image for shindiggah
#40 Posted by Shindiggah (347 posts) -

that doesnt suprise me, I thought that it was known all along that this would be a gold feature, just like everything else.
Avatar image for burns098356gx
#41 Posted by Burns098356GX (1368 posts) -
@jakob187 said:

" Expected. 
 
@Br3adfan said:

" @RHCPfan24 said:

 if anyone really uses Live, they probably have Gold.
Exactly.  Anyone with a silver account is pretty much missing out on having a 360 "
...and this. 
 
@Burns098356GX said:
" Its a complete cockblock if you ask me, I love how they give you Free this and free that, oh but wait, you gotta pay for a Gold service though. I think my favorite is when they have a new demo, Resident Evil 5 for example. A demo, which purpose is to entice you to buy the full game, but you had be a gold member to download the demo. You've indirectly paid for a demo.  Facebook, twitter? Free services on my computer, oh but wait you have to be Gold to use them on Xbox.   I love my Xbox, but man Microsoft sure knows how to screw people when they want too. "
I just don't understand rants like this.  We pay to have an excellent online service available to use with tons of integrated options...something that Sony has failed to do thus far.  It's the main reason why many have seen Xbox Live as being an excellent service.  For $50 a YEAR, it's almost a crime to NOT have it.  You can argue about us getting demos...but when it comes down to it, we're getting the demos EARLIER because we are paying for a service, and it's a way of showing gratitude to the people who like the service enough to pay for it. "
Any way you slice it, your paying for a demo. So they've earned money by selling you a demo that they want you to go out and spend 60 when the full game comes out.
1v100, avaliable for Gold members only, in which they have advertisements. You pay for something, but still get advertisements in your face every 5 minutes? That dont make no fuckin sence.
 
I still have yet to understand why people say XBL is a better 'service'. How? What is different about it? I get the same problems on XBL that I get on PSN. I hear this argument that XBL has its own game servers, then why do i get disconnected from the host in Gears of War 2, who is a player in the game, and the player host has certian lag-advantages over the rest of the room.  A ton of intergrated options? Like what? The ability to be in a party while watching a movie? Wow.  A avatar system (which I hate) 

I think people think that its a 'good service' because they pay for it. Ya, 50 bucks for a year, not a bad price, but your still paying. 
 
Anybody that thinks XBL is a good value is kidding themselves, the only thing XBL has going for it is the volume of content avaliable on the marketplace. That you pay for anyways.
 
I dont want to seem like I prefer the PS3, because I dont, I love my Xbox, but its nonsence they charge you for the service.
Avatar image for xplodedd
#42 Posted by xplodedd (1379 posts) -

imo whoever wants to use facebook or twitter on the xbox is sad, you can go a gaming session without twitting or facebooking.

Avatar image for kamasamak
#43 Posted by KamasamaK (2492 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" Yeah, you get a choice. One is a steaming pile of crap with the advantage of being free, and the other has actual features.
Microsoft provides Live members with two options, but the only one that's worth a damn is Xbox Live Gold. Silver members don't get anything; not even access to the free Facebook and Twitter services. "
It's the same with the Netflix streaming -- a free service on PC (provided you have a Netflix subscription) that requires Gold on Xbox 360.
Avatar image for oy
#44 Posted by Oy (314 posts) -
@empfeix:
USB Keyboard support does exsist on Xbox 360.  It has since launch in '05.  And also there is a Xbox branded "chat pad" that plugs into your controller.
Avatar image for twoonefive
#45 Posted by TwoOneFive (9786 posts) -
@NickNorman said:
" Well, this is great.
 
Here's Microsoft's statement, from Kotaku:
Facebook and Twitter on Xbox LIVE will be free to Gold members, with a free trial period also available for Silver members. Facebook and Twitter on Xbox LIVE will offer a truly one-of-a-kind social experience, completely optimized for the TV and seamlessly integrated onto your console. Add to that exclusive access to Last.fm, Netflix instant streaming, demos, trailers and discounts, plus the best multiplayer gaming network on the planet, and we're confident Xbox LIVE Gold memberships is hands-down the best value in home entertainment. We're committed to adding new features and value for our Gold members, and will continue to do so.
  While this doesn't really affect most of us, it would have been great for Microsoft to advertise "free Twitter and Facebook integration!" - especially now that the PS3 and 360 are almost dead even in terms of price and features. I hate how Xbox Live is free, but to do almost anything with it you have to pay for gold. I love the service, and it's definitely worth it to me, but it seems like they short change some people. What do you think?  "
worth it? when the ps3 is doing it for free? please. 
Avatar image for toxin066
#46 Posted by Toxin066 (3469 posts) -
@Kamasama said:
" Eh, this was completely expected. These features are uninteresting to me on a console anyway. "
What this guy said. I didn't care about these features at E3, and I don't care about them now. However as a gold user I do like knowing that I have more options available to me than the silver users have available to them.
Avatar image for novyx
#47 Posted by Novyx (483 posts) -

I sure am glad that you don't have to pay ISPs for internet access to use facebook or twitter. It would be a shame to pay a service fee for a free service.

This is actually pretty good marketing for Microsoft. This way, 'free' access stays exclusive to PCs, so Windows users don't feel shortchanged, right?

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
#48 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7598 posts) -
@TwoOneFive said:
" @NickNorman said:
" Well, this is great.
 
Here's Microsoft's statement, from Kotaku:
Facebook and Twitter on Xbox LIVE will be free to Gold members, with a free trial period also available for Silver members. Facebook and Twitter on Xbox LIVE will offer a truly one-of-a-kind social experience, completely optimized for the TV and seamlessly integrated onto your console. Add to that exclusive access to Last.fm, Netflix instant streaming, demos, trailers and discounts, plus the best multiplayer gaming network on the planet, and we're confident Xbox LIVE Gold memberships is hands-down the best value in home entertainment. We're committed to adding new features and value for our Gold members, and will continue to do so.
  While this doesn't really affect most of us, it would have been great for Microsoft to advertise "free Twitter and Facebook integration!" - especially now that the PS3 and 360 are almost dead even in terms of price and features. I hate how Xbox Live is free, but to do almost anything with it you have to pay for gold. I love the service, and it's definitely worth it to me, but it seems like they short change some people. What do you think?  "
worth it? when the ps3 is doing it for free? please.  "
You can access Twitter on the PS3, yes, but to do so you'd have to go into the Web browser, closing anything else you might be doing.
Here, you can go on in the middle of playing games and acess this CUSTOM version of Twitter and use features that are integrated into games, like being able to post screenshots, or update about achievements, etc.
 
Besides, once again I feel the need to point out you don't have to actually pay to do this, you just need to be a Gold member.  You aren't being charged extra to use Twitter/Facebook/Last.fm.
Avatar image for cerza
#49 Posted by Cerza (1678 posts) -
@LordAndrew said:
" What a load of BS. I can use Twitter and Facebook free on my PC. Or even on the PlayStation 3! The Wii too, if you're willing to pay the one-time fee of $5. It makes no sense to force people to pay for Gold to use free services. "
My thoughts exactly.
Avatar image for linkyshinks
#50 Edited by Linkyshinks (11400 posts) -
@empfeix said:

" Why would I suffer navigating and typing through xbox 360 which does not support keyboards?  I'm surprised MS has not released a proprietary keyboard at least to lessen the pain.  Although universal usb support would be nice. "

 This has been out for a long while now ...
 
 
 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.